PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Poll Question and it is a good one...

boomersooner28
1/10/2012, 08:59 AM
When will a non-SEC team when a National Title in College Football?

Go!

fwsooner22
1/10/2012, 09:13 AM
The answer is when ESPN quits shoving the SEC down everbodys throat. What a joke of a game that was. Pathetic offenses, missed field goals, dropped snaps, penalties, missed extra point, intercepted shovel pass. SEC SEC SEC.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/10/2012, 09:15 AM
Next season. Two SEC teams playing for the tainted, not-valid, mythical, fantasy, not-earned national title game on this particular season will break the chain for next season.

OUDoc
1/10/2012, 09:25 AM
About the time the NCAA catches up with the SEC? ;)

rekamrettuB
1/10/2012, 09:37 AM
When the SEC moves into the NFL...which I think has no been fast tracked to next season.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 09:37 AM
Maybe next year with USuC?

Other than that, it may be a while. Maybe Ohio State in 3-4 years??

TulsaSooners
1/10/2012, 09:40 AM
Whenever an SEC team doesn't play in the game. If they can somehow each take a loss and two other conferences can go undefeated, I think that there is enough SEC backlash that they'll get shutout (even if the best team is from there).

In that sense I keep thinking that a playoff would be horrible for us and everyone else. If we have specifically avoided the SEC due to not wanting the losses that come due to that competition (as Stoops and others have indicated), then our best bet for a championship is to hope to get in and avoid an SEC opponent. A playoff model would be disastrous in the effort to win championships by getting in and having them somehow kept out.

bikerdood
1/10/2012, 09:50 AM
When the ncaa stops allowing sec teams to skirt rules and pay players parents (Cam Newton)...

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2012, 10:01 AM
Maybe next year with USuC?

CB beat me to it.

But last year, 'Bama was preseason #1 and lost 3 games, won their non-BCS bowl, came back and won it all.

This season, OU was preseason #1 and lost 3 games, won their non-BCS bowl, and will come back and ....

(Well, if Mike comes back we all just *know* it will happen :D )

jkjsooner
1/10/2012, 10:15 AM
When the SEC moves into the NFL...which I think has no been fast tracked to next season.

Since you mentioned the NFL, I have to say what I've said 10 times before here. Somehow the media has convinced everyone that a great offense can't score against a great SEC defenses.

At the highest level this is simply not true. The Packers or Saints can score tons of points against the best defenses in the NFL. If it can be done in the NFL, it can be done in the SEC.

jkjsooner
1/10/2012, 10:28 AM
As for the SEC winning titles, they deserve all the credit but they also have had incredible luck in that no other SEC teams have stepped up and beaten these contenders or when someone has stepped up to beat them they've still be fortunate enough to get in the title game.

The SEC has had four different teams win titles recently. You'd think that these teams would beat up on each other but other than this year with LSU/Bama they've been fortunate enough to have one team better than the others most years. Using this year as an example, neither Florida nor Auburn were very good.

If the SEC can produce four top quality teams, it's highly improbable that they can continue to produce an undefeated team year after year.

Anyway, the SEC run will end soon. Either they'll start beating each other up like they say they used to do or other teams will step up and get the job done. It's not like there hasn't been hard fought games in title games. Take out the Ohio State games, most of these games were hard fought and tossups into the fourth quarter. Oregon could have easily won that game last year. It will happen.

Sabanball
1/10/2012, 10:31 AM
The streak will inevitably end at some point--maybe that will be next season, maybe not. I still think LSU will be preseason no. 1 next yr, we will be in the top 10.

I think it's a given now that we will be going to some type of playoff, my best guess being that it will be some type of four- team format.

sooneredaco
1/10/2012, 10:38 AM
The answer is when ESPN quits shoving the SEC down everbodys throat. What a joke of a game that was. Pathetic offenses, missed field goals, dropped snaps, penalties, missed extra point, intercepted shovel pass. SEC SEC SEC.

You looked across my desk and stole the answer right off of my paper!

TulsaSooners
1/10/2012, 11:08 AM
As for the SEC winning titles, they deserve all the credit but they also have had incredible luck in that no other SEC teams have stepped up and beaten these contenders or when someone has stepped up to beat them they've still be fortunate enough to get in the title game.

The SEC has had four different teams win titles recently. You'd think that these teams would beat up on each other but other than this year with LSU/Bama they've been fortunate enough to have one team better than the others most years. Using this year as an example, neither Florida nor Auburn were very good.

If the SEC can produce four top quality teams, it's highly improbable that they can continue to produce an undefeated team year after year.

Anyway, the SEC run will end soon. Either they'll start beating each other up like they say they used to do or other teams will step up and get the job done. It's not like there hasn't been hard fought games in title games. Take out the Ohio State games, most of these games were hard fought and tossups into the fourth quarter. Oregon could have easily won that game last year. It will happen.

This is really well said. If you look at the recruiting rankings, the SEC completely dominates every year (I won't get into the racial demographics). For them to not beat each other up is incredible. LSU was very fortunate to get the opportunity to beat up on OSU that year that LSU took two losses in conference, as was Florida the years that they beat OSU by 27 and us by 10.

If anyone, ANYONE, else goes undefeated, the SEC gets shut out and doesn't win those games. The BCS isn't about being the best team, it is about simply winning out, and everyone outside of SEC land would love to shut them out. I would have liked our chances against any other conference opponent in both '03 and '08. Without a lot of flukes, the SEC champion will beat anyone, but for them to get the opportunity to play in the game each year is very fortunate under the current system.

Jacie
1/10/2012, 11:15 AM
Probably never.

However, if the SEC is seriously challenged in the BCS, they will add more teams, say 50 or 60 more (they will have to add more divisions but that won't be a problem either), and only play each other so no matter which team is the best, it will still be from the SEC . . .

FaninAma
1/10/2012, 02:23 PM
My prediction is that in 3 years there will not even be an SEC team in the title game. That is when the effects of the 25 limit the SEC implemented this year will start to take effect. No longer will the SEC west teams be able to cull non-productive players and recruit over them. They will have to live within the scholarship limit that all other teams have had to use.

I think we'll see a sign of the effects taking place as early as next year.

Depth is the reason that the SEC has dominated college football. Yes they have a demographic advantage but they also have a numbers advantage that helps the quality of their depth. And as any OU fan can tell you...a few injuries to key players can make or break a season if you don't have the depth to plug in quality players.

starclassic tama
1/10/2012, 03:12 PM
whenever the rest of the country decides to focus on defense first instead of pinball machine offenses that invariably either drop a game or two when they aren't clicking or are stonewalled when they go up against an elite physical defense

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 03:17 PM
whenever the rest of the country decides to focus on defense first instead of pinball machine offenses that invariably either drop a game or two when they aren't clicking or are stonewalled when they go up against an elite physical defense

This would indeed be a good place to start.

SoonerorLater
1/10/2012, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=TulsaSooners;3439236]This is really well said. If you look at the recruiting rankings, the SEC completely dominates every year

As a conference they do, however the difference between Alabama, Florida and LSU recruiting-wise as compare to OU and Texas is negligible at best over the last 10 years. Sometimes they do better other years not as good.

soonercastor
1/10/2012, 06:56 PM
when they stop oversigning.

jkjsooner
1/11/2012, 10:12 AM
My prediction is that in 3 years there will not even be an SEC team in the title game. That is when the effects of the 25 limit the SEC implemented this year will start to take effect. No longer will the SEC west teams be able to cull non-productive players and recruit over them. They will have to live within the scholarship limit that all other teams have had to use.

This is going to have an impact. However, 25*4 = 100 and 25*5 = 125. Both are greater than 85.

Those years where Alabama only had 15 scholarships available but signed 25 players won't change.

I'm not saying everyone doesn't play this game to an extent but as of late the SEC has taken it to an absurd level - a level that forced the SEC and NCAA to institute rule changes.

Depth is the reason that the SEC has dominated college football. Yes they have a demographic advantage but they also have a numbers advantage that helps the quality of their depth.

This is true. It also helps the recruiting rankings. Most recruiting services value large classes. They even state this when discussing great but small classes. Over and over they say, "It's a great class but because they were limited on the number of players they could sign they're ranked lower."

jkjsooner
1/11/2012, 10:14 AM

Because one excludes the other?

You don't think Bob Stoops takes great pride in his defense?

I meant that first question sarcastically but maybe there is a real question there. Does one's offensive philosophy affect defensive toughness and performance?

I never played football so I don't really know what goes into preparing a defense. Obviously they go up against the offense on occasion. I would coaches do their best to show a defense all sorts of offensive schemes but it's probably easier said than done.

I'd love to know how well we were able to prepare our defense back in the '80s when we ran such a unique offense. I imagine that hurt us tremendously when going against Miami. Sure, we had scout teams running their offense but it just isn't the same...

EatLeadCommie
1/11/2012, 10:20 AM
when the SEC beats each other up and excludes their champ from a NC game. This will result in two non-SEC teams playing and the legions of SEC fans and ESPN saying, "But...but...but we should be in there because we're the best conference and have won 6 in a row!"

jkjsooner
1/11/2012, 10:32 AM
when the SEC beats each other up and excludes their champ from a NC game. This will result in two non-SEC teams playing and the legions of SEC fans and ESPN saying, "But...but...but we should be in there because we're the best conference and have won 6 in a row!"

That very well might be what happens that first year but you guys are not giving non-SEC teams enough credit.

We had our chances against Florida. Oregon had their chances against Auburn. Auburn and Florida made the plays when it counted and won the games so I'm not taking anything away from them but let's not pretend that the opposition hasn't had their chances or has been completely outmatched in all of these games.