PDA

View Full Version : Defense Does Win Championships

TXBOOMER
1/9/2012, 10:44 PM
It isn't flashy but it sure if effective. That Alabama defense is something tonight. Not that the game is over yet but my gosh I wish we had something that resembled it.

Okie35
1/9/2012, 10:56 PM
No, Jordan Jefferson just sucks. Alabama's offense has been the main component of this game. Saban watched WVU tape. WVU was able to expose LSU's secondary as well.

ictsooner7
1/9/2012, 10:59 PM
It isn't flashy but it sure if effective. That Alabama defense is something tonight. Not that the game is over yet but my gosh I wish we had something that resembled it.

These defense are overrated, these offenses are TERRIBLE, AWFUL. BORING BORING BORING BORING BORING

TulsaSooners
1/9/2012, 10:59 PM
No, Jordan Jefferson just sucks. Alabama's offense has been the main component of this game. Saban watched WVU tape. WVU was able to expose LSU's secondary as well.

You're talking about the game that LSU won 47-21 in Morgantown? You have an interesting opinion of what exposing a team entails. To even remotely equate W Va to Alabama (who has at least four first round draft picks on it's defense) is utterly absurd.

Boomer.....
1/9/2012, 11:00 PM
You guys are insane. That defense is STOUT!

TulsaSooners
1/9/2012, 11:01 PM
Alabama's defense is quite possibly the best that I've ever seen. It is virtually a who's who of future pro bowlers.

Jmorales22
1/9/2012, 11:08 PM
Alabama is beating LSU up. This is impressive.

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 11:16 PM
I'm happy to see LSU getting their *** kicked

Sooner91ATL
1/9/2012, 11:17 PM
Any 2 Bama defenders if put on our D would instantly ratchet up the talent and performance several levels. These guys are the real deal and have set the bar very high.

But yeah, LSU offense not overly awesome. But, bet they could score more than a couple of touchdowns on Iowa.

LVSOONER15
1/9/2012, 11:19 PM
Bama defense is pretty badass. Did they allow only 9tds in all year?

boomersooner28
1/9/2012, 11:20 PM
Where the hell is Jarrett Lee?!?!? The kid played REALLY well this year and yet JJ has got to stay in the game and do nothing.

LVSOONER15
1/9/2012, 11:20 PM
There we go. Bama National Champs.

TulsaSooners
1/9/2012, 11:22 PM
LSU scored >40 on Oregon, West Virginia, and Arkansas, amongst others. Anyone who isn't appreciative of Bama's defense is either a peewee offensive coordinator who resents loads of speed and tackling on defense or is completely delusional.

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 11:23 PM
Defense may win championships, but sh!tty offenses can definitely lose them. Just ask Leslie

LVSOONER15
1/9/2012, 11:26 PM
Defense may win championships, but sh!tty offenses can definitely lose them. Just ask Leslie

Les had the offense play very conservative all game. But that Bama D is stout.

Sooner98
1/9/2012, 11:30 PM
These defense are overrated, these offenses are TERRIBLE, AWFUL. BORING BORING BORING BORING BORING

WTH? Bama's defense is ridiculously good. Our soft, gentle defense isn't even worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as theirs.

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2012, 11:31 PM
Defense wins championships win you can get NFL level players on it.

Sabanball
1/10/2012, 12:08 AM
Bama defense is pretty badass. Did they allow only 9tds in all year?

Yes.

Hmmm....Stillwater is awfully peaceful....and quiet tonight.;)....Roll Tide, y'all.

sooneredaco
1/10/2012, 12:10 AM
Yes.

Hmmm....Stillwater is awfully peaceful....and quiet tonight.;)....Roll Tide, y'all.

Props to you and your team. Nasty defense

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 12:11 AM
per Nick....

This wins Championships....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw

sooneron
1/10/2012, 12:17 AM
Bama's D played outstanding, but LSU's offense was not as good as some of the box scores indicated. Especially, with JJ at the helm.

Okie35
1/10/2012, 12:20 AM
You're talking about the game that LSU won 47-21 in Morgantown? You have an interesting opinion of what exposing a team entails. To even remotely equate W Va to Alabama (who has at least four first round draft picks on it's defense) is utterly absurd.

Yea the one when Geno Smith threw for a career high against "incredible" LSU defense. He threw for over 460 yards. McCarron was doing the same thing, throwing over the top and targeting Mattheiu. You don't think Saban studied any of that tape w/ a month before this game?

What did Bama's defense have to do with ANYTHING I was talking about? Think before you type. I was talking about LSU's defense getting exposed by WVU and now they got exposed by Bama's offense the same way. I even saw a couple of spread formations Saban threw at LSU's defense. McCarron played one of his best games tonight.

lexred
1/10/2012, 08:10 AM
Where the hell is Jarrett Lee?!?!? The kid played REALLY well this year and yet JJ has got to stay in the game and do nothing.

He threw two picks against Bama in the first game and has been riding the pine ever since. Jordan Jefferson is a thug of little brain, but seems to be on Lesters love list. LSU usually suffers from a QB deficit, but thy6e have a new "savior" (Mittleburg sp?) waiting in the wings and a committment form Gunner Kiel so we shall see, I guess.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/10/2012, 09:16 AM
Buying players wins championships.

fwsooner22
1/10/2012, 09:21 AM
Worst BCS game EVER. Bama D is great that's it. Missed field goals, missed extra points, little floater passes that end up being game breakers. Boring, Boring, Boring. Glad Bama won but please stop shoving SEC down our throats. Aggie woulda been much more fun. That was like watchin paint dry.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/10/2012, 09:22 AM
That 3 man front from Alabama is pretty impressive.

OULenexaman
1/10/2012, 09:39 AM
Bama D ranked 1st in all 4 catagories.....last team to do that...86 Sooners. Great stuff last night.

PDXsooner
1/10/2012, 10:13 AM
Passing yards are overrated. When you're kicking people's *** they're going to throw the ball every time.

Do you know who has given up the most passing yards in the NFL this year? Yes, Green Bay. And New England is #2.

OU Adonis
1/10/2012, 10:19 AM
The transformation of some OU fans and our conference to "WAC" is now complete.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2012, 10:27 AM
Bama D ranked 1st in all 4 catagories.....last team to do that...86 Sooners. Great stuff last night.

^This. Yes, the SEC elite produces some good defenses, but not as good as this year's Bama squad. That was a once in several *decades* level defense. Not even the return of "the Mike Stoops" is likely to produce a D that can match Bama '11.

Breadburner
1/10/2012, 10:38 AM
Great game....Loved the Bama D.....

Taxman71
1/10/2012, 10:43 AM
How could an OU fan not love that game? It was the best defensive effort since the Sooners shutout FSU's offense in 2000 and nobody can say the Noles didn't have an explosive offense that year. Nobody outside the state of Oklahoma thought that was an entertaining game either.

Widescreen
1/10/2012, 10:44 AM
Any of you people who aren't in awe of Bama's defense don't know much. They held LSU to under 100 yards of offense. There aren't many teams in Division 1 we could hold under 100 yards (or even 200 yards) except maybe Texas. LSU's offense is decent, not great. But to hold them that low is pretty remarkable.

sooneredaco
1/10/2012, 10:45 AM
Buying players wins championships.

You my friend have hit the nail on the head

marfacowboy
1/10/2012, 10:55 AM
Pretty awesome display. Bear never cared if the game was 3-0, just as long as Bama won. He always said, "The other team can't win if it can't score."

Sabanball
1/10/2012, 10:59 AM
The transformation of some OU fans and our conference to "WAC" is now complete.

I agree, at least to some extent.

There is more to playing football like it's a track meet and running up video game-type scores on each other, yet I think a lot of the younger crowd in your fan base seem to think that's all there is to it. They seem to put a high premium on point production but little if any value to preventing points. Simply, it is a lack of appreciation for good defense. Statistically, BOTH Bama and LSU averaged almost right at 40 pts/game and their O's were both ranked in the top 25--so, all the talk that we don't play offense is absurd. But our coaches also understand that good and dominating defenses ultimately are just as important.

jkjsooner
1/10/2012, 11:03 AM
Alabama's defense is quite possibly the best that I've ever seen. It is virtually a who's who of future pro bowlers.

Who's who of future pro bowlers? Give me a break.

This might be the best defense we've ever seen but no college football team has ever been a who's who of future pro bowlers.

That comment shows you have no idea about the NFL.

This isn't a slam on Bama's defense. They were outstanding. It's just a comment on your absurd statement.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 11:03 AM
I agree, at least to some extent.

There is more to playing football like it's a track meet and running up video game-type scores on each other, yet I think a lot of the younger crowd in your fan base seem to think that's all there is to it. They seem to put a high premium on point production but little if any value to preventing points. Simply, it is a lack of appreciation for good defense. Statistically, BOTH Bama and LSU averaged almost right at 40 pts/game and their O's were both ranked in the top 25--so, all the talk that we don't play offense is absurd. But our coaches also understand that good and dominating defenses ultimately are just as important.

I'd argue that having a good and dominating defense is MORE important.

ictsooner7
1/10/2012, 11:04 AM
Worst BCS game EVER. Bama D is great that's it. Missed field goals, missed extra points, little floater passes that end up being game breakers. Boring, Boring, Boring. Glad Bama won but please stop shoving SEC down our throats. Aggie woulda been much more fun. That was like watchin paint dry.

I completely agree. It was like watching a bad paint job dry.

jkjsooner
1/10/2012, 11:10 AM
Someone needs to tell the NFL that defense wins championships because the trend in the NFL is that high powered offenses win championships.

As for Saban's comment, he has no idea about what OU fans are thinking. OU has always been about defense. Our defense won us our last national title.

The difference is that OU has never sacraficed offense in the name of defense. We believe in playing both sides of the ball. We believe you can put up 50 a game and still have a great defense.

Our defense hasn't matched our standards as of late but that doesn't mean we as fans or our coaches don't place a premium on defense.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 11:13 AM
Someone needs to tell the NFL that defense wins championships because the trend in the NFL is that high powered offenses win championships.

Defense has been largely legislated out of the NFL. That and the offenses in the NFL are so technically proficient to a level most colleges simply can't match, especially at the QB position.

jkjsooner
1/10/2012, 11:34 AM
Defense has been largely legislated out of the NFL. That and the offenses in the NFL are so technically proficient to a level most colleges simply can't match, especially at the QB position.

I can buy the fact that in the NFL guys have been together for years and they have basically unlimited practice time. When you don't have these things that is generally a benefit to defenses.

That being said, the argument put forth is the the "SEC is too fast and strong" to run wide open offensive attacks.

If that were true, it would be true in the NFL as well. Hell, if it were true it would have been true for Auburn last year. Had Cam Newton played in the PAC 10 or Big 12 last year, SEC homers would have convinced everyone that his success was only due to not playing against SEC defenses.

I agree that these defenses this year were on another level. I'm not necessarily arguing about this year's defenses but I am arguing against the "too strong and fast to score consistently" argument we hear year after year.

Outside of this year, SEC teams have won the titles not because their defenses dominated the oppositiion's offense but because their defense was better than the opposition's defense. There is a big distinction there.

Sabanball
1/10/2012, 11:38 AM
I'd argue that having a good and dominating defense is MORE important.

...and I would agree.;)

Sabanball
1/10/2012, 11:41 AM

Right again. In the pro game for instance, it's almost impossible to play good, tight pass coverage without getting called for pass interference, and it's been like that for a while. They seem to forget that the D has just as much right to the ball as the O does.

I stopped watching the NFL 15 yrs ago basically because I thought it was becoming an exhibition sport much like pro-wrestling.

Sooners78
1/10/2012, 11:46 AM

wtf? Just give it up to them. That defensive line was dominant.

Sooners78
1/10/2012, 11:48 AM
Right again. In the pro game for instance, it's almost impossible to play good, tight pass coverage without getting called for pass interference, and it's been like that for a while. They seem to forget that the D has just as much right to the ball as the O does.

I stopped watching the NFL 15 yrs ago basically because I thought it was becoming an exhibition sport much like pro-wrestling.

Same here, and the NBA is worse. I stopped watching it 20 years ago.

Sooners78
1/10/2012, 12:04 PM

OSU might have had some success throwing the ball against LSU, but Bama is definitely better than OSU and deserved to be in the game over them. I still think LSU's DL would have put enough pressure on Weeden to contain him. And, they would not be able to run against either of the teams last night.

CowboyMRW
1/10/2012, 12:21 PM
Preface by saying this was taken from Shaggy

When you watch Alabama play...
just remember, Saban has 26 kids currently committed to just 16 scholarships. Even if 3-4 go to the NFL, he is still oversigning by 6-7 with more coming. But don't worry, when summer practice starts, he will have run out the needed players to get to the magical 85 number.

In 2011, he has 12 scholarships and signed a class of 22 with Duron Carter walking on. 10 kids magically leave the program (NFL, injuries, academics) and Saban is back to 85.

Oh yeah, Bama has 15 kids currently on medical scholarship, that's more than the rest of the SEC combined.

SoonerNomad
1/10/2012, 12:29 PM
I agree that Alabama's defense was outstanding last night. Made the game boring because it was clear that LSU could not move the ball. They were big, fast and physical. How much is the obvious talent (I don't know about four pro bowlers, but multiple first round picks and at least seven or eight that will have a legitimate shot to play at the next level) and how much is the coaching. Does Coach Saban have some NFL type schemes that other coaches should be emulating? Are these schemes that teams like OU could be using to shut down some of the Micky Mouse (probably sounds more derogatory than I mean it) offenses we see here in the Big 12? Or would our defense be fine with same schemes we currently run here if we had the talent like Kirkpatrick, Upshaw, and some of the others?

Widescreen
1/10/2012, 02:40 PM
OU's defense would be vastly improved by just getting Bama's DT's.

OULenexaman
1/10/2012, 02:48 PM
I completely agree. It was like watching a bad paint job dry. I actually feel kinda sorry for you.....not a lot but kinda.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2012, 03:27 PM
OU's defense would be vastly improved by just getting Bama's DT's.

It would have been improved more if it had their LBs. SEC linebackers play on their opponents side of the LOS, ours play 10 yards deep on ours.

CowboyMRW
1/10/2012, 03:42 PM
Big 12 defenses would improve if they got to play 6 teams that were ranked below 100 in top offense

Scott D
1/10/2012, 03:57 PM
The intimidating thing about Bama's defense is to look at the physical characteristics....they have 1 LB on scholarship that is under 245 lbs. They have 2 DL on scholarship under 285 lbs. What makes them dominant? The fact that not only are they big, but they are fast, and most importantly disciplined.

soonercoop1
1/11/2012, 06:17 PM

We did but its been several seasons since...