PDA

View Full Version : IPod questions

OUinFLA
1/9/2012, 09:07 PM
Ok, someone educate me.

On my boat, I have a radio which will accept an accessory input.
3.5mm plug.
I know I can run my IPhone thru it an play my ITunes.
I don't really want to use my IPhone to do that.

So, Im thinking about an IPod. Cheap, used, working are the perameters I am planning on dealing with.

Seems there are Nano, Mini, Classic, Touch, 1st Gen - 6 Gen units available on CL and ebay by the hundreds.

What I want to know is, which of these will allow me to plug in a 3.5 cable and run it to my radio? Are headphone jacks 3.5? and is that what I would use? Do these things have a speaker? and if so, will inserting the cable mute the speaker?

Which would allow me to not only load my ITunes collection (which isn't huge), but also allow me to copy some of my CD's from my computer to the IPad.

Battery life isn't a big concern, providing, I can use my "lighter" USB adapter to keep it charged up.

Are songs selectable individually? Shuffle? or do they just play top to bottom?

I don't care about address books, calender, etc. I only want a music library.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sarcastic comments are expected. :D

Turd_Ferguson
1/9/2012, 09:27 PM
The iPad is the exact same thing as your iPhone...just bigger.

Edit: Just seen you meant to type iPOd...The iPod that looks like an iPhone is the same thing, just no talkie...

Whet
1/9/2012, 09:30 PM
But, the iPod is smaller than the iPad and similar in size to the iPhone. As Turd stated, i"Whatever" will play tunes the same as another i"Whatever"

yermom
1/9/2012, 09:42 PM
iPod classic, iPod video, or really anything after like 3G is likely your best bet

i don't think any have speakers except for the iPod touch/iPad/iPhone, which should mute when plugged in

after 3G, i think, they will charge over USB, before that you are stuck with Firewire, but there are 12v adapters for them either way

any 1/8" jack should work, unless it's an iPhone before 3G, and the iPod touch that is the same gen, which has a recessed plug and you need something with a thinner plug around the head

OUinFLA
1/9/2012, 09:53 PM
I changed it. I did mean IPod type, not IPad.

I'm old and prone to mistakes.

Ok, so far, 3rd Gen uses USB for charging. I didnt want firewire as I have several USB charging plugs already.

So, shuffle? nano? mini? classic? touch?

also don't need camera.
would like to see song names,
would like to select songs or shuffle.

Dont need huge memory, I have no intention of putting 24 hours worth of songs on there.

Thanks for info so far.

Turd_Ferguson
1/9/2012, 09:59 PM
Get the Touch...

olevetonahill
I dont have a ****in clue
Hope that helps Bro

yermom
the mini or the nano would probably be as small as you'd want to go

you should be able to make playlists or select by artist, album or song, or just shuffle

as for CDs, you can rip those with iTunes fairly easily, and then copy them to your iSomething

OUinFLA
1/9/2012, 10:07 PM
I dont have a ****in clue
Hope that helps Bro
You and I are in the same boat. So to speak.

And speaking of, when you coming down to go out in my new boat? Bring a different skank.

olevetonahill
1/9/2012, 10:08 PM
You and I are in the same boat. So to speak.

And speaking of, when you coming down to go out in my new boat? Bring a different skank.

Hell thot we might try fer some Shark. thats why i brot that one :very_drunk:

OUinFLA
1/9/2012, 10:09 PM
I found a 30gb Classic for $55
5th gen.
does this have a hard drive or a flash?
seems like my boat might be a bad for a hard drive.

yermom
1/9/2012, 10:17 PM
Classic should have a hard drive, but i'm not sure i've seen one with a 30GB capacity

they should be okay with a boat's motion. people jog with them and stuff

yermom
1/9/2012, 10:28 PM
not that it matters, but 5G is a Video, not a Classic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic

that seems like a good deal...

Jacie
1/10/2012, 11:31 AM
Those ipod minis are old (if anything that was cutting edge when my children were in highschool can be considered old) and if refurbished with a new battery, will do what you want and may be the sturdiest of all the ipod incarnations (tough metal case, small screen so less prone to break if dropped).

I have one that belonged to my youngest daughter and while it looks clunky next to an iphone or a 120 gig ipod, it still works. And you are right about them on ebay. I think you can get one for less than it will cost the buyer to ship it.

OUinFLA
1/10/2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the info Sooners. Im shopping.

Taxman71
1/11/2012, 09:40 AM
You might also consider getting a remote for your ipod like the one below:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/439215-REG/ABT_IJETV2B_iJet_Wireless_RF_Remote.html

You can keep your ipod locked up tight while able to control the volume, pause and skip functions with a small RF remote. I have one for my outdoor speakers (ipod is inside the house connected to my receiver) and its range is pretty good.

olevetonahill
1/11/2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the info Sooners. Im shopping.

Let me know If I can be of any further help

CobraKai
1/11/2012, 11:29 AM
FYI, every model will charge via USB, so you should be good there.

Breadburner
1/11/2012, 12:21 PM
Get the Touch...

Good touch or Bad touch.....?

yermom
1/11/2012, 02:30 PM
FYI, every model will charge via USB, so you should be good there.

any new one...

the first ones didn't even work with Windows, and since most Windows computers didn't have Firewire, it didn't matter much

it wasn't until they added USB and Windows compatibility that they took off

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2012, 03:00 PM
iPod classic, iPod video, or really anything after like 3G is likely your best bet

i don't think any have speakers except for the iPod touch/iPad/iPhone, which should mute when plugged in

after 3G, i think, they will charge over USB, before that you are stuck with Firewire, but there are 12v adapters for them either way

any 1/8" jack should work, unless it's an iPhone before 3G, and the iPod touch that is the same gen, which has a recessed plug and you need something with a thinner plug around the head

Pretty sure they all would charge over USB, they just discontinued Firewire with the 3G.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2012, 03:01 PM
I love being "Guy who didn't read the thread" guy.

yermom
1/11/2012, 03:07 PM
heh

OUinFLA
1/13/2012, 05:43 PM
Appreciate all the help Sooners.
Bought the Classic for $45. Works great.

Liked it so much, I called another CL ad and bought a 5th Gen nano for my wife. Paid 70 for it.

So, now, I have a new question.
I have loaded all my songs onto her Nano.
she would also like to add some songs from CD's I don't really want in my Itunes library, nor would I want them sync'd to my Classic. I mean..... Michael Bubble.... geeze. Most of my fishing buds would jump ship.

How's it done?

I know how to add songs from a CD to my library.

Is there a way to "delete" a song from an Ipod? without going through Itunes.

CobraKai
1/15/2012, 09:45 PM
Appreciate all the help Sooners.
Bought the Classic for $45. Works great.

Liked it so much, I called another CL ad and bought a 5th Gen nano for my wife. Paid 70 for it.

So, now, I have a new question.
I have loaded all my songs onto her Nano.
she would also like to add some songs from CD's I don't really want in my Itunes library, nor would I want them sync'd to my Classic. I mean..... Michael Bubble.... geeze. Most of my fishing buds would jump ship.

How's it done?

I know how to add songs from a CD to my library.

Is there a way to "delete" a song from an Ipod? without going through Itunes.

I "uncheck" my wife's and kid's songs in iTunes and then set my iPhone up to only Sync checked songs. You can also select "manually manage music" and then it only syncs the music you drag onto your device in iTunes. You can also just sync certain playlists. I do that for my kids so they don't get all of my gangster rap and death metal.

yermom
1/15/2012, 11:48 PM
the best way would be to create another user on your computer and import her music to that one, and then drag/drop whatever music

i don't remember a way to delete songs without iTunes, but i haven't had an iPod in a while

OUinFLA
1/18/2012, 09:55 PM
Well, the Classic I bought hung up on me several times.
I finally got tired of working with it, so I bought another Nano like I got the wife. Kid I bought it from asked to see my hung up Classic and unlocked it in about half a minute. Lesson learned...... ask a kid how it works.
All is well.
I guess I'll set up an Itunes account on Wife's computer so I can put her artsy-fartsy songs only on her Ipod.
The Nano works well on the boat, perfect place to mount it and run wires where it wont get wet.
I do appreciate all the help. thanks for helping bringing me into the late 20th Century.

olevetonahill
1/19/2012, 01:42 AM
Yer welcome . I do what I can :very_drunk:

tator
1/19/2012, 03:02 PM
Yer welcome . I do what I can :very_drunk:

And THIS is how you get 46 thousand posts, people

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 08:59 AM
On a boat, I think an Ipod 5th generation is the best option. You can get one with a lot of space and they are great devices. They are old and do not feature touchscreen which is better for an outdoor environment.