PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of current roster now that we've started B12 play

OUSKINS
1/9/2012, 10:01 AM
I wanted to wait and post the evaluation until I saw the Sooners play some really talented teams so that I wouldn't be overly influenced by their non conference performances.*

After watching the majority of the games this year, here is my analysis of the team and where it is heading:

When evaluating a college team, you first must define your expectations for the program. For OU, I believe a realistic/reasonable expectation is to be a consistent Sweet 16 type of team. By that I mean team that in both talent and performance is generally capable of making it to the Sweet 16. Mix in an occasional squad that can make a Final Four run and then a year here and there to rebuild and that is where I think the OU basketball program should be.*

So, the question I ask is simple: How many players on this current team would be in the rotation for your typical Sweet 16 team?*

Let's take a look:

Guys that would be in the rotation:

Steven Pledger
Romero Osby

Neither would be one of the top three players on that type of team, but both would be in the rotation. Pledger has been a very pleasant surprise. A much more versatile scorer than I ever thought he would be. Osby is a good garbage man; not overly skilled, but a hard worker who takes on bigger guys. Just about any team could use a guy like that off their bench.

Guys That Would Be Marginal Rotation Players:

Sam Grooms
Cameron Clark
Andrew Fitzgerald

Grooms has improved the PG play for Sooners, but that is by default. Could probably be a back up PG for a good team. Clark has is the most physically gifted Sooner, but it's getting old using "inconsistency" to explain why he often disappears. Fitzgerald gets the most out of what he has, but he wouldn't play a vital role for a good team.

Guys That Would Be on the Team, but Rarely Play:*

Tyler Neal

Has had good moments for Sooners, but he wouldn't see the floor for a good team-- at least not on the Big 12 level.*

Guys That Would Not Be on Scholarship:**

--Carl Blair
--Casey Arent
--Barry Honore
--CJ Washington

Each of these guys has worked hard, but being totally honest, none of them
would scratch even the bench for a good team. They are each in Norman simply because the cupboard is so bare.*

So, of your top 10 guys only 2 would play a role for a good team. And five
of them would be lucky to even be on the team at all.*

I'd say from a pure talent perspective this squad is a borderline NIT team. If Kruger got them to the NCAA Tournament, I'd consider it a wild overachievement. I'd also consider it overachieving if he gets them a top
seed in the NIT.*

The talent simply isn't there. The team plays harder and smarter than the last few years, but that can only get you so far.*

Good news is that they have already played two of their top five toughest conference games. OU can beat teams like OSU, Iowa St., Texas Tech, etc But bear in mind that those teams say the same things about the Sooners.*

Big game in Stillwater Monday Night. If they can't win that type of game, then I can't see them winning more than 5-6 conference games this year.*

Kruger just needs to squeeze whatever he can out of this bunch and wait for reinforcements starting next year.*

SoonerInFortSmith
1/9/2012, 02:44 PM
Tonight's bedlam game will give us a good indication of what the rest of the season could be like. If we can't beat the worst OSU team in a long time it's gonna be a long year.

birddog
1/13/2012, 10:33 PM
well, gonna be a long year. still like the aura lon brings to the program.

OUmillenium
1/14/2012, 04:31 PM
Kruger does an awesome job. He gets the game down to where it is totally on the players. If there is a coaching decision that can help the team or give them an advantage, be sure that it will happen. He does his job well. "Top notch" as Judge Smells would say.