PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops!

Bxbysooner
1/9/2012, 12:08 AM
Dean Blevins reporting he will be announced as co-defensive coordinator this week!

BlownGP
1/9/2012, 12:10 AM
cool

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 12:12 AM
Not per his twitter or his site.

http://twitter.com/DeanBlevins

http://deanblevins.com/

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 12:13 AM
However....

http://www.newson6.com/story/16200912/deans-blog-mike-stoops-expected-to-return-to-ou

To be clear, neither Mike nor OU Head Coach Bob Stoops has told me that Mike will return but as I have gathered updated facts and information it has led me to believe it will happen.
(http://www.newson6.com/story/16200912/deans-blog-mike-stoops-expected-to-return-to-ou)

Bxbysooner
1/9/2012, 12:14 AM
It was on the blitz tonight.....also reporting mike will call the plays

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 12:15 AM
So as long as he believes it will happen....you guys jump to he's gonna report it this week. LMAO

oumartin
1/9/2012, 12:17 AM
Why couldn't OU just hire the Soonerfans resident google coach?

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 12:18 AM
These are many of the reasons I thought it might be possible however....

It is hard for many to understand why Mike Stoops would want to return to Norman. What they don't grasp is the fact that he loved Norman, become fast friends with many people both inside and outside the program and loved working with his brother and a staff he helped assemble.
I'm told family considerations would entice a move back to Norman and not to Columbus. I'm also told money is not the driving force behind a decision because if it were he'd already be on the payroll under Meyer. OU would pay well, but not like Meyer and the Buckeyes.
Finally, the chance to work with his brother again and the chance to elevate Oklahoma from a program that has not lived up to its preseason rankings more times than not in recent years to winning national championships.
I could be wrong, but I have reason to believe it is much more likely to happen than not.
I will be surprised if Mike Stoops doesn't come to Oklahoma.

Also...the fact that the Ohio State job is still unfilled and Mike hasn't turned it down makes me believe that if Bob doesn't get Mike in at OU....he is going to call Urban.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 12:20 AM
Why couldn't OU just hire the Soonerfans resident google coach?

Because Meyer is waiting to hire him? Meyer must have been dropped on his head. He should have been pressing Mike to say yes or no IMO.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 12:31 AM
Has anyone seen him carrying boxes into the Coaches offices? To me the story looks like typical Message Board bait that the local Sports Reporters including Dean use to keep their name out there in case they announce something Monday....then they can say they called it if it happens.

Might as well be another twitter feed IMO.

Seamus
1/9/2012, 12:59 AM
I'd say there's a 70/40 chance of this happening.

3rdgensooner
1/9/2012, 01:04 AM
Not per his twitter or his site.

http://twitter.com/DeanBlevins

http://deanblevins.com/

However....

http://www.newson6.com/story/16200912/deans-blog-mike-stoops-expected-to-return-to-ou

(http://www.newson6.com/story/16200912/deans-blog-mike-stoops-expected-to-return-to-ou)

So as long as he believes it will happen....you guys jump to he's gonna report it this week. LMAO

These are many of the reasons I thought it might be possible however....

Also...the fact that the Ohio State job is still unfilled and Mike hasn't turned it down makes me believe that if Bob doesn't get Mike in at OU....he is going to call Urban.

Because Meyer is waiting to hire him? Meyer must have been dropped on his head. He should have been pressing Mike to say yes or no IMO.

Has anyone seen him carrying boxes into the Coaches offices? To me the story looks like typical Message Board bait that the local Sports Reporters including Dean use to keep their name out there in case they announce something Monday....then they can say they called it if it happens.

Might as well be another twitter feed IMO.

Are you arguing with yourself?

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:12 AM
Are you arguing with yourself?

Usually these threads turn into discussions but I guess you aren't up to it.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:14 AM

Well....like I said...since Mike hasn't turned down the job with Urban....it would seem like he's waiting on something else.

Collier11
1/9/2012, 01:17 AM
Mike is coming to OU, he will be a Co- Def Coord and Secondary coach. I dont like Blevins at all but lets not act like the guy doesnt have sources

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:22 AM
Mike is coming to OU, he will be a Co- Def Coord and Secondary coach. I dont like Blevins at all but lets not act like the guy doesnt have sources

Lets not act like Bob gives him direct access either because it's been pretty obvious that he doesn't cut Dean a whole lot of exclusives either. If Bob did give him an exclusive on this...you can bet he wouldn't have released a damn word of it until Bob told him OK.

Collier11
1/9/2012, 01:27 AM
It doesnt even have to involve Bob, Dean knows a million people who are inside the program. Facts done have to come from the head man

MamaMia
1/9/2012, 01:33 AM
We will just have to wait and see.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:36 AM
OK....lol

So Dean is gonna risk his relationship with Bob by releasing a rumor from the inside of the program?

Yeah....I don't think Dean is always the smartest tool in the shed...but I think he knows better than to do something like that and **** Bob off about the hiring of a Family Member.

Collier11
1/9/2012, 01:47 AM
You arent paying attention to what I am saying, im saying that Dean has a ton of legit sources within the OU program from Joe C, Stoops, the board of regents people, and other coaches, etc... If it was verified on some level that Mike was def coming back, Dean could find out

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 02:19 AM
I think you and I actually agree more than you think but you are trying to argue with me and you kow better than that. ;)

You know i'm kidding...

I think there is something that caused Dean to say what he did. There is something that has generated another rumor regarding this and I hope it's because Bob not only is going to hire his Brother but he's going to do it by meeting NCAA Guidelines as well as OU's stipulations on contracts that could end or be settled.

Whatever is going on...I hope it puts and end to all the Coaching rumors and i hope we see an end to the signing rumors as of the 15th.

This crap has been worse this year than any other year we've had since Bob got here. I think it's mostly because of all the sad sacks out there that wanted to see this guy or that guy fired so they could spew on about how they were to blame for the 3 losses. Which is all a bunch of BS just like the rumors.

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 08:36 AM
I think I just saw a guy driving a UHaul on I35 heading toward Norman that looked just like Mike. That's enough of a confirmation for me. He's back folks!

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 10:13 AM
I figured that Bob and Mike would have already broke Dean's Story this morning.

Nothing.....?

Maybe they are breaking it with Jenni in a 4 part expose' that includes a nice picture book of Mike's new Home and Office? :D

LOL

OUNASH
1/9/2012, 10:16 AM
I think with Devante Harris changing his mind about OU is a good signal that Martinez is out and Mike is in (IMO). I think Deano might have it right this time. He is due to get something right.

Boomer.....
1/9/2012, 10:16 AM
Apparently Kass Everett just tweeted:

Hello Mike Stoops!

colleyvillesooner
1/9/2012, 10:19 AM
And now this from SoonerScoop editor on twitter:

Just got a brief note from #OU cornerback signee @KassEverett. He read notes on Mike Stoops' potential hiring, no info from #Sooners staff.

colleyvillesooner
1/9/2012, 10:35 AM
More from Kass:

I read the reports and tweets just like you guys. The tweet means I'm open for change, not that I know anything you guys do not.

Neath a Western Sky
1/9/2012, 10:36 AM
I appreciate both the OP and Stoop Troup bringing to our attention what you had--which neither of you overstated--despite the inevitable white noise and wisecracks thrown back at you on here. Almost every information of note starts out as a rumor or uncomfirmed. Thanks again, and I hope this proves to be true!

85sooners
1/9/2012, 10:39 AM
Hi mike

Soonerman08
1/9/2012, 10:42 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7376122/everett-withers-north-carolina-tar-heels-headed-ohio-state-buckeyes-assistant

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7348959/urban-meyer-says-luke-fickell-call-defense-ohio-state-buckeyes

These are the two filling the DC spots for Urban Meyer. This was announced some time ago.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2012, 10:59 AM

Oh I think Dean says it is like 62/38 chance...;)

BillyBall
1/9/2012, 11:10 AM
I don't think Dean is always the smartest tool in the shed

I have no idea what this means...

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 11:47 AM
I say it's 50/50/50. 50% he comes back 50% he doesn't 50% he retires

tator
1/9/2012, 12:39 PM
Did ST pass out?

OU GENO
1/9/2012, 12:55 PM
I saw Mike drop his office key!

TheUnnamedSooner
1/9/2012, 01:08 PM
Oh I think Dean says it is like 62/38 chance...;)

That just doesn't make sense :confused:

:D

PalmBeachSooner
1/9/2012, 01:11 PM
THe odds are 50-50-80 he's coming back. Fifty percent chance Mike is coming back, fity percent chance he isn't and eighty percent chance that Dean is wrong.

soonerlaw
1/9/2012, 01:12 PM
I just heard Mike downloaded a Sooners ringtone. Does anyone know where I can get one?

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7376122/everett-withers-north-carolina-tar-heels-headed-ohio-state-buckeyes-assistant

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7348959/urban-meyer-says-luke-fickell-call-defense-ohio-state-buckeyes

These are the two filling the DC spots for Urban Meyer. This was announced some time ago.

Exactly and they haven't update the status on Mike since. So again....Dean is saying what he thinks but not what he knows for sure.

Folks...ask yourself a question....

If you thought hiring your Brother would help your Coaching Staff get to the BCS Promised Land and you had a window to hire him....wouldn't you have done it the instant you could?

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:14 PM
Did ST pass out?

Nope....

Just watching the tators boil in the deep fryer

5thYearSooner
1/9/2012, 01:25 PM
Hire Mark Stoops!

Doged
1/9/2012, 01:26 PM
Exactly and they haven't update the status on Mike since. So again....Dean is saying what he thinks but not what he knows for sure.

If you thought hiring your Brother would help your Coaching Staff get to the BCS Promised Land and you had a window to hire him....wouldn't you have done it the instant you could?

If you thought hiring your brother would help your staff, then it stands to reason you're probably not the only one who wants to hire him. "The instant you could" would have to include time for your brother to explore any and all opportunities being presented and decide if he wants to rejoin your staff.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:34 PM
If you thought hiring your brother would help your staff, then it stands to reason you're probably not the only one who wants to hire him. "The instant you could" would have to include time for your brother to explore any and all opportunities being presented and decide if he wants to rejoin your staff.

Which could also lead to the doors at OU closing every second that goes on as you have to make a slot for him to come on-board and that means cutting the throat of one of your current Staff and that doesn't sound like the Bob Stoops we all know nor does it seem like something that he or Mike would do unless they could make it right for anyone who would be forced to leave.

All it does is feed the message board frenzy to see Mike hired.

starclassic tama
1/9/2012, 01:47 PM

If you thought hiring your Brother would help your Coaching Staff get to the BCS Promised Land and you had a window to hire him....wouldn't you have done it the instant you could?i'm willing to bet the timing has to do with martinez not officially being out yet. martinez is probably looking for another job behind the scenes and they can't hire mike stoops on until martinez is gone.

Curly Bill
1/9/2012, 01:50 PM
i'm willing to bet the timing has to do with martinez not officially being out yet. martinez is probably looking for another job behind the scenes and they can't hire mike stoops on until martinez is gone.

My thoughts exactly.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 01:52 PM
i'm willing to bet the timing has to do with martinez not officially being out yet. martinez is probably looking for another job behind the scenes and they can't hire mike stoops on until martinez is gone.

Yeah....there is something keeping it from happening. We have all heard the Willie and the Bobby Jack rumors now so we can instantly begin to assume that maybe those things are some how connected to it all. Then like Collier was saying....maybe it's the powers that be that gave Dean his info and that Bob didn't have anything to do with why Dean feels the way he does....

What a Soap Opera....lol

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 02:02 PM
I keep thinking that other than satisfying Fans what good comes from keeping Mike's hiring a secret?

If you were going to try and get the most bang for your buck from his hiring....you would have wanted him announced immediately in my mind for recruiting purposes. Since the kids going Pro must commit by the 15th I think and National Signing Day is the 1st Wednesday of February....does it make Mike's signing less and less of a thing that could happen as signing Day passes?

5thYearSooner
1/9/2012, 02:08 PM
I keep thinking that other than satisfying Fans what good comes from keeping Mike's hiring a secret?

If you were going to try and get the most bang for your buck from his hiring....you would have wanted him announced immediately in my mind for recruiting purposes. Since the kids going Pro must commit by the 15th I think and National Signing Day is the 1st Wednesday of February....does it make Mike's signing less and less of a thing that could happen as signing Day passes?

Makes sense. The sooner the better. Or may be he is hired already and he's recruiting already? :)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/9/2012, 02:08 PM
They can't officially hire one until one officially leaves since they are maxed out.

yermom
1/9/2012, 02:18 PM

I'm thinking he might need to make room

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 02:19 PM
They can't officially hire one until one officially leaves since they are maxed out.

Thanks STEP.

Again...I know lots of folks love Mike. I think he was a great guy too. It's all pretty odd right now. Makes me think that maybe he's just got some personal problems he's working on and that this whole Hire Mike thing is completely Fan Generated.....

Like even Dean said in one of his articles....Mike loves Norman....And Norman obviously loves Mike.

That just doesn't mean he's going to Coach here....he might just end up like Mangino and hanging around the sidelines on Gamedays.

colleyvillesooner
1/9/2012, 02:22 PM
i think it's pretty obvious it went like this:

Bob: You wanna coach here?
Mike Hell yes, lets do this. Right the ship
Bob: OK cool. Let me clear some space one way or another and you're hired.
Mike:Sweet
Bob:Sweet

Or something like that.

kbsooner21
1/9/2012, 02:24 PM
I have no sources and just my opinion, but Mike will be back by as soon as Bob makes a spot for him.

oumartin
1/9/2012, 02:28 PM
Fire someone already. Sheesh

kbsooner21
1/9/2012, 02:31 PM
Fire someone already. Sheesh

LMAO! No joke.

Curly Bill
1/9/2012, 02:33 PM
Firing people is no way to make/keep friends. ;)

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 02:33 PM

Or something like that.

And then...

Mike: Bob...where's my Office?

Bob: I don't have one for you yet but check with Brent and see if he'll let you use his if you need one.

Brent: WTH are you doing in my office Mike?

Mike: Bob said I could use it.

Brent: Bob...this is Brent...am I being fired?

Bob: Of course not.

Brent: Then why is Mike in my Office?

Bob: I told him to ask you if it was OK if he could use your office when he needed to as I don't have an office for him yet.

Brent: So you are hiring Mike?

Bob: Well yeah....duh!

Brent: What position is he going to hold? Don't tell me I'm stepping down....

Bob: Don't worry. I'm gonna make him Co-Defensive Co-ordinator so you both will be working together....just like it used to be.

Brent: OK...I'm cool with that. It will be awesome having Mike back.

Bob: I figured you would feel that way. Thanks for not getting all crazy on me.

Brent: Could you ask him to not bang his GFs on my desk?

Bob: I'd rather you work it out with him.

Brent: Son of a Bitch! Just like old times!

<Slams the phone down>

Brent: Mike....can I borrow my office?

Mike: Not right now....can't you see we're busy?

Brent: SOAB!

picasso
1/9/2012, 02:35 PM
I saw Mike drop his office key!Geno! Thanks again for putting up the Switzer pic in South Bend!

btw, I like Dean the Dream.

3rdgensooner
1/9/2012, 02:40 PM
There's some pretty good yarn spinning going on in this thread.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/9/2012, 02:45 PM
Coach Stoops needs to fire the non-existent special teams coach that he was supposed to hire last season when Coach Wilson went to Indiana.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 02:49 PM
Mike: Hey Bob...Mangino is here and we are going out to eat, do you want to go?

Bob: Hell no! If i go out with you two, Dean will Tweet that I am hiring you both and I'll get calls all night from my guys.

Mike: When are you gonna make this official?

Bob: As soon as Joe sets up the Press Conference

Mike: Didn't he say he was gonna have that done by last week?

Bob: Yeah but some guy named Bri says they can't get it all set-up until some new equipment is in.

Mike: That's BS...let's get this done!

Bob: I'm working on it....just relax.

Mike: I'm trying but hey...when do I get my credit cards to cover my expenses?

Bob: Like you need the money....?

Mike: Hey Bro...you said you were hiring me...what's the deal? I'm gonna call urban tonight if you don't get this fixed.

Bob: Calm Down. Really? You are still trying to hold the Urban thing over my head? You know he was drunk when he made that offer to you, right?

Mike: What does that have to do with anything? He's always drunk. Ever since that Tebow got him on the wine....

Bob: Did you see the Bronco Game last night? Can you believe that lucky son of a B....? Sam even called me and couldn't believe it either.

Mike: Don't try and get off the point here.....but yeah Tim did pull his Messiah act again....it's crazy huh?

Bob: Yep. Hey I have a call coming in...I'll get back to you....

Mike: Wait!

Bob: <click>

Mike: *%&*%^&^&(%$()!!!!!

Brent: This couch Bob got me is really nice.

LVSOONER15
1/9/2012, 02:50 PM
Fire the special teams coach.

stoopified
1/9/2012, 03:01 PM
Lets not act like Bob gives him direct access either because it's been pretty obvious that he doesn't cut Dean a whole lot of exclusives either. If Bob did give him an exclusive on this...you can bet he wouldn't have released a damn word of it until Bob told him OK.True dat,Blevins has proven time and again that his INSIDE sources ain't worth spit.My favorite example of this was when AD got injured in the ISU game and speculation started on which frosh RB OU would pull out of redshirt to share the load with AP (Allan Patrick, not Adrian).Dean imediately starting touting Mosis Madu,citing his INSIDE sources.I started laughing at that because I KNEW BETTER. I had talked to Merv Johnson on the pregame before the ISU game discussing which frosh was most ready to step up after AD goes pro.MJ'sresponse was that Chris Brown was most ready to play,was in fact practicing with the first team and was on the travel squad. As we all know CB did step up and play well.

boomersooner28
1/9/2012, 03:05 PM
FIRE KEVIN WILSON! AND CHUCK LONG!

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 03:07 PM
True dat,Blevins has proven time and again that his INSIDE sources ain't worth spit.My favorite example of this was when AD got injured in the ISU game and speculation started on which frosh RB OU would pull out of redshirt to share the load with AP (Allan Patrick, not Adrian).Dean imediately starting touting Mosis Madu,citing his INSIDE sources.I started laughing at that because I KNEW BETTER. I had talked to Merv Johnson on the pregame before the ISU game discussing which frosh was most ready to step up after AD goes pro.MJ'sresponse was that Chris Brown was most ready to play,was in fact practicing with the first team and was on the travel squad. As we all know CB did step up and play well.

Did you say AP? I thought they called him AD?!?! BTW, why do they call him AD if his initials are really AP? Also, I've been searching and searching for a sooner ringtone. Any idea where I can find one? Please get with yor sources and let me know as soon as you can. I'll hang up and listen off the air. Thanks

Curly Bill
1/9/2012, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to fire BV and replace him with Mike?

...I can't believe I haven't thought of that before.

oumartin
1/9/2012, 03:12 PM
Lots of rumors and pain meds. This thread has it

tator
1/9/2012, 03:13 PM
Has anyone said that Mike is just waiting for Bob to clear room for him?

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 03:26 PM
Mike: Brent? You hungry?

Brent: Sure where ya want to go?

Mike: Not sure...I'm waiting on mangino to call.

Brent: Bob told me not to go out to eat with him until this whole hiring blows over.

Mike: Come on Brent....you know how Bob gets....he's just paranoid that Blevins will start blogging again.

Brent: Maybe we should invite Dean along?

Mike: That's a great idea. What's his number?

Brent: No idea....he never calls me.

Mike: I better not call Bob and ask huh?

Brent: LOL Yeah...that would set him off.....

Mike: Well hell.....Let's get a pizza?

Brent: Fince by me. Maybe you can get Mark to deliver it?

Mike: Good idea!

<Knock at the door>

Brent: Who is it?

Harris: Devante Harris sir!

Brent: What do you want?

Harris: I'm sorry about the tweet sir!

Brent: Do you know what the hell you did?

Harris: Yes Sir....I do and i'm sorry. Is Coach Stoops with you?

Brent: No....I haven't talked to Bob in awhile.

Harris: Not Bob...Mike.

Brent: Why would Mike be in my office?

Harris: because Bob told me he was here.

Brent: Come on in.

<Harris enters>

Harris: Hi Coach Venables and Hey Coach Mike!

Mike and Brent: Hey Son.

Mike: You hungry?

Harris: Hell yeah. I'm always hungry.

Mike: I heard that about you. I also heard you wasn't hungry enough to eat the food at OU...

Harris: Not True sir. That was Miller's Dad. That guy got hold of my phone when DeJuan was showing me around. I'm really sorry.

Mike: No big deal. Hey listen....you go get some pizzas over at Campus Corner and bring them back here....OK?

Harris: How many?

Mike: You got a car?

Harris: I don't need a car i can haul *** anywhere you need me too Coach!

Mike: That's the spirit Son! Now go get those pizzas!

Harris: Yes Sir!

<30 minutes later>

Brent: <on the phone> Hello? Yeah Bob....this is Brent

Bob: Did i see Devante Harris with 10 pizzas coming into the offices?

Brent: Well yeah.

Bob: Why the hell is he bringing in pizzas?

Brent: Mike, mark and me were hungry and Mike got him to go run down and get us some pizza. You want some?

Bob: You know Carol has me on a diet.

Mike: Come on Bob...grow some balls and come down and get some pizza!

Bob: Damn it Mike...I thought you were supporting me?

Mike: Only when we are at the house.....lol

Bob: Listen....I've still got some calls to make.....save me a slice or two. Mark isn't there yet is he?

Mike: Not yet.

Bob: Then have Harris bring me some before Mark gets there!

Mike: LOL!

<Later harris runs into Carol and tells her how cool it was meeting Bob today and having some pizza>

<Harris later de-Commits from OU via Twitter>

3rdgensooner
1/9/2012, 03:57 PM
Has anyone said that Mike is just waiting for Bob to clear room for him?This crap has BS just like to see the sad sack to blame Bob--and all the rumors about 3 losses.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 04:15 PM
We are ONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRpC5jIu91Q

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 04:17 PM
DRINK ! ! !

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/kool_aid_man_glass.jpg

Booner
1/9/2012, 04:48 PM
Did Dean Blevins tweet this news before or after he announced that Bob was going to be the next head coach at the University of Florida?:cower:

ashley
1/9/2012, 05:06 PM
Don't expect Mike to have aby magic in the day of the spread offenses.

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 05:26 PM
Don't expect Mike to have aby magic in the day of the spread offenses.

What are you talking about? Getting Mike back guarantees a MNC! He'll fix our offensive issues as well. And of course special teams will once again be special

Dio
1/9/2012, 05:30 PM
What are you talking about? Getting Mike back guarantees a MNC! He'll fix our offensive issues as well. And of course special teams will once again be special

The grass will be greener, the beers will be colder....

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 05:32 PM
The grass will be greener, the beers will be colder....

Crowds will be louder, cheerleaders will be hotter...

ObiKaTony
1/9/2012, 05:38 PM
we probably will not be ranked in the upper 60's in total defense. I mean, being ranked top 5 in total defense for 3 straight years is "ok" but I prefer the upper 60's... We know the grass is greener because we use to own the yard...

ObiKaTony
1/9/2012, 05:40 PM
If mike comes back, we will win more games, period. We usually only have to win 2-3 more to win a title... Let's pray Mike comes back...

Breadburner
1/9/2012, 05:54 PM
Where was that AZ D ranked.....

VA Sooner
1/9/2012, 06:02 PM
Wait and see...

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2012, 06:03 PM
The one thing I have learned for sure from this thread :

ObiKaTony
1/9/2012, 06:09 PM

To compare head coach at Arizona to D-cordinator at Oklahoma has as much relativity to likening Steve Spurrier as a bad coach because he got ran out at washington. 2 different places, jobs, and atmospheres. That argument has very little credibility. What we do know is that we won a national title with him. What we do know is that he led the d to a top 5 in the stats. What we do know is that we have been missing the "it" factor for several years that will bring us over the hump.

Oh yeah, I didn't even care to look at Mike's ranking as head coach at Zona, do tell...

achiro
1/9/2012, 06:47 PM

Or something like that.

They are brothers Stoop, you honestly think that if Bob wants him here and Mike wants to be here that they haven't already figured things out behind the scenes?

jk the sooner fan
1/9/2012, 07:13 PM
Mike: Hey Bob...Mangino is here and we are going out to eat, do you want to go?

Bob: Hell no! If i go out with you two, Dean will Tweet that I am hiring you both and I'll get calls all night from my guys.

Mike: When are you gonna make this official?

Bob: As soon as Joe sets up the Press Conference

Mike: Didn't he say he was gonna have that done by last week?

Bob: Yeah but some guy named Bri says they can't get it all set-up until some new equipment is in.

Mike: That's BS...let's get this done!

Bob: I'm working on it....just relax.

Mike: I'm trying but hey...when do I get my credit cards to cover my expenses?

Bob: Like you need the money....?

Mike: Hey Bro...you said you were hiring me...what's the deal? I'm gonna call urban tonight if you don't get this fixed.

Bob: Calm Down. Really? You are still trying to hold the Urban thing over my head? You know he was drunk when he made that offer to you, right?

Mike: What does that have to do with anything? He's always drunk. Ever since that Tebow got him on the wine....

Bob: Did you see the Bronco Game last night? Can you believe that lucky son of a B....? Sam even called me and couldn't believe it either.

Mike: Don't try and get off the point here.....but yeah Tim did pull his Messiah act again....it's crazy huh?

Bob: Yep. Hey I have a call coming in...I'll get back to you....

Mike: Wait!

Bob: <click>

Mike: *%&*%^&^&(%$()!!!!!

Brent: This couch Bob got me is really nice.

weird

jk the sooner fan
1/9/2012, 07:15 PM
Mike: Brent? You hungry?

Brent: Sure where ya want to go?

Mike: Not sure...I'm waiting on mangino to call.

Brent: Bob told me not to go out to eat with him until this whole hiring blows over.

Mike: Come on Brent....you know how Bob gets....he's just paranoid that Blevins will start blogging again.

Brent: Maybe we should invite Dean along?

Mike: That's a great idea. What's his number?

Brent: No idea....he never calls me.

Mike: I better not call Bob and ask huh?

Brent: LOL Yeah...that would set him off.....

Mike: Well hell.....Let's get a pizza?

Brent: Fince by me. Maybe you can get Mark to deliver it?

Mike: Good idea!

<Knock at the door>

Brent: Who is it?

Harris: Devante Harris sir!

Brent: What do you want?

Harris: I'm sorry about the tweet sir!

Brent: Do you know what the hell you did?

Harris: Yes Sir....I do and i'm sorry. Is Coach Stoops with you?

Brent: No....I haven't talked to Bob in awhile.

Harris: Not Bob...Mike.

Brent: Why would Mike be in my office?

Harris: because Bob told me he was here.

Brent: Come on in.

<Harris enters>

Harris: Hi Coach Venables and Hey Coach Mike!

Mike and Brent: Hey Son.

Mike: You hungry?

Harris: Hell yeah. I'm always hungry.

Mike: I heard that about you. I also heard you wasn't hungry enough to eat the food at OU...

Harris: Not True sir. That was Miller's Dad. That guy got hold of my phone when DeJuan was showing me around. I'm really sorry.

Mike: No big deal. Hey listen....you go get some pizzas over at Campus Corner and bring them back here....OK?

Harris: How many?

Mike: You got a car?

Harris: I don't need a car i can haul *** anywhere you need me too Coach!

Mike: That's the spirit Son! Now go get those pizzas!

Harris: Yes Sir!

<30 minutes later>

Brent: <on the phone> Hello? Yeah Bob....this is Brent

Bob: Did i see Devante Harris with 10 pizzas coming into the offices?

Brent: Well yeah.

Bob: Why the hell is he bringing in pizzas?

Brent: Mike, mark and me were hungry and Mike got him to go run down and get us some pizza. You want some?

Bob: You know Carol has me on a diet.

Mike: Come on Bob...grow some balls and come down and get some pizza!

Bob: Damn it Mike...I thought you were supporting me?

Mike: Only when we are at the house.....lol

Bob: Listen....I've still got some calls to make.....save me a slice or two. Mark isn't there yet is he?

Mike: Not yet.

Bob: Then have Harris bring me some before Mark gets there!

Mike: LOL!

<Later harris runs into Carol and tells her how cool it was meeting Bob today and having some pizza>

<Harris later de-Commits from OU via Twitter>

weirder

jk the sooner fan
1/9/2012, 07:16 PM
This crap has BS just like to see the sad sack to blame Bob--and all the rumors about 3 losses.

brilliant

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 07:30 PM
They are brothers Stoop, you honestly think that if Bob wants him here and Mike wants to be here that they haven't already figured things out behind the scenes?

YES. Mangino has been hanging around a lot and Bob hasn't hired him and nobody should ever **** Mark off or embarrass him like this. He'll get even. If he starts buying up the food sources....he could potentially starve out the Team, The Town....maybe even the State. It's funny that you are taking me serious though. Thanks for giving me so much street cred. I might just start tweeting this stuff and then I'll have David's Tweet Cred....lol BTW...Mike just called me and wanted me to stop tapping the phones or at least quit writing about all this or they are gonna sue....LMAO!

Scott D
1/9/2012, 07:49 PM
I suppose they could follow the message board fan advice and fire heupel to make room for him.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 07:51 PM
I suppose they could follow the message board fan advice and fire heupel to make room for him.

LOL....

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 07:53 PM
weirderYou know what's really weird? Why he hasn't been hired. Everyone in Oklahoma has approved of his hiring. Maybe we should all start sending $100 checks? Maybe they are short on cash? :D

picasso
1/9/2012, 08:56 PM
Hard to argue the fact that Bob works pretty well with Mike.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 09:03 PM
Hard to argue the fact that Bob works pretty well with Mike.

No doubt. I think we should get Mark, Mike and Ron Jr. to come to the Staff....then we would rule College Football.

picasso
1/9/2012, 09:07 PM
I know you're kidding but that's not what I meant. Some people think our defense could do no wrong when Mike was here and others like to bring up the burn at oSu '02, etc..
I'm of the opinion that the fundamental side of defense will return.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 09:11 PM
I know you're kidding but that's not what I meant. Some people think our defense could do no wrong when Mike was here and others like to bring up the burn at oSu '02, etc..
I'm of the opinion that the fundamental side of defense will return.

True. I just wish Dean would finally announce Mike was on-board. I'm tired of tapping the phones. :D;)

picasso
1/9/2012, 09:16 PM
Or a tweet from one of our non journalist journalists.

OU_Sooners75
1/9/2012, 09:22 PM

Where was UofA's talent pool ranked?

Mike did a heck ofajob forthe mostlart at Arizona! You also have ask yourself, does every coach make a great head coach? Answer.... No!

Whet
1/9/2012, 09:23 PM
It has finally been announced!

Whet
1/9/2012, 09:24 PM
Well, something is sure to be announced somewhere, about something!

picasso
1/9/2012, 09:30 PM
You guys remember when Mike would be on the post game show on the Animal? I remember he came on after a k-state game one year and was talking about how we shut down that RB from Del City. That was some classic stuff.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 09:36 PM
You guys remember when Mike would be on the post game show on the Animal? I remember he came on after a k-state game one year and was talking about how we shut down that RB from Del City. That was some classic stuff.

Good Times. It's why a lot of folks miss him IMO.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 09:38 PM
Or a tweet from one of our non journalist journalists.

That would be tweet.

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 09:47 PM
No doubt. I think we should get Mark, Mike and Ron Jr. to come to the Staff....then we would rule College Football.

Maybe Carol can be the cheerleaders coach! They will make the crowd louder

Tulsa_Fireman
1/10/2012, 10:09 AM
Carol has a line on the band director gig as soon as we FIRE BRIAN BRITT

Mississippi Sooner
1/10/2012, 10:16 AM
Carol has a line on the band director gig as soon as we FIRE BRIAN BRITT

That would be cool, especially if she made the band wear pink.

BillyBall
1/10/2012, 10:37 AM
weird

Frightening.

tm250
1/10/2012, 03:44 PM
If Mike is indeed going to be on staff why the wait to announce it and make it official?

Scott D
1/10/2012, 03:45 PM
If Mike is indeed going to be on staff why the wait to announce it and make it official?

because there is currently a full coaching staff without him. Until someone isn't a coach anymore he can't be a coach here.

SoonerAtKU
1/10/2012, 04:08 PM
If things are playing out like they appear to be, Bob is trying to get Martinez a job elsewhere without the stigma of having been "fired" from OU. I think that's fairly noble, and speaks to a personality that isn't willing to just cut bait once someone is no longer directly of use to him.

EatLeadCommie
1/10/2012, 04:13 PM
If things are playing out like they appear to be, Bob is trying to get Martinez a job elsewhere without the stigma of having been "fired" from OU. I think that's fairly noble, and speaks to a personality that isn't willing to just cut bait once someone is no longer directly of use to him.
That's pretty much par for the course with any coaching staff unless you're screwing the guy's wife *cough cough Switzer cough cough*

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 05:15 PM
Frightening.

lol. You should have been around Dr. Death back in the day. That was frightening.

JLMSOONER
1/10/2012, 05:16 PM
Unfortunately, if I sucked bad enough at my job I would get fired. They wouldn't recommend me to another employer. I don't see why coaching would be different!

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 05:16 PM
Maybe Carol can be the cheerleaders coach! They will make the crowd louder

Plus make up sales can go directly through the University. :D

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately, if I sucked bad enough at my job I would get fired. They wouldn't recommend me to another employer. I don't see why coaching would be different!

I think that's where this whole idea that Bob is trying to find Willie a job so he doesn't have to fire him goes flat. Bob or Mike aren't gonna fire or push anyone that is doing their job out of a job here. If Willie wasn't cutting it....he would have been told long ago. If there is anything going on it's probably more that everyone on the Coaching Staff knows Bob and Mike would like to be back together at OU and if it happens this year...fine....if it takes another year....fine. Bob isn't the kind of guy that would push someone in his Staff out. He's the kind of guy that helps them move on and up if possible. If he didn't think you weren't good enough to Coach at OU....you wouldn't have ever got a job here to begin with.

It might be next year before Mike is at OU and...if it takes that long....he might be somewhere else by then.

sooneredaco
1/10/2012, 05:27 PM
That's pretty much par for the course with any coaching staff unless you're screwing the guy's wife *cough cough Switzer cough cough*

I guess I don't know that story!

delhalew
1/10/2012, 05:53 PM

My dad just told me that story last week. Apparently, I was too young to catch it.

That's one way to lose a great D Coordinator.

OU-HSV
1/10/2012, 07:07 PM

Me neither??

cvsooner
1/10/2012, 07:34 PM
Youngsters. Switzer had a D-coordinator, a funny guy named Larry Lacewell. I think he recruited the Selmons, Rod Shoate and the badazz defense of the mid-70s. Anyway, Switzer was having an affair with Lacewell's wife, and allegedly paid Lacewell $25K to keep it hush-hush. Guess it didn't work.

Switzer and Lacewell remained friends though and Lacewell even worked for Switzer when he coached the Dallas Cowboys.

ashley
1/10/2012, 08:45 PM
He will start recruiting Monday morning. You heard it here first. Done deal.

All_Day_28
1/10/2012, 08:49 PM
He will start recruiting Monday morning. You heard it here first. Done deal.
Proof??

AzianSooner
1/10/2012, 08:49 PM
From an Ohio State alumni, Mike Stoops has declined the offer to be DC for Urban. He (the alumni) said the main reason was Mike wanted to be the one who calls the defensive play and not accepts being to play a lesser role in TOSU coaching staff.

My mistype from DC to OC.

cvsooner
1/10/2012, 09:14 PM
I'm assuming you meant he turned down the DC offer, not the OC.

Scott D
1/10/2012, 09:55 PM
I think Mike would be a great OC.

LVSOONER15
1/10/2012, 10:22 PM
Come on down then Mike.

SoonerMom2
1/10/2012, 11:12 PM
@Jake_Trotter
Jake Trotter No RT @wtgibsonjr: any truth to rumors that bob and mike stoops are trying to change davonte harris mind about decommitt?

That came across Twitter ten minutes ago from Jake Trotter.

Caboose
1/10/2012, 11:16 PM
@Jake_Trotter
Jake Trotter No RT @wtgibsonjr: any truth to rumors that bob and mike stoops are trying to change davonte harris mind about decommitt?

I find it bizarre that a recruit would rather play for Martinez than Mike Stoops.

Collier11
1/10/2012, 11:18 PM
Mike Stoops is forgotten news as a DC to these 17 yr olds im guessin

SoonerMom2
1/10/2012, 11:19 PM
I find it bizarre that a recruit would rather play for Martinez than Mike Stoops.

If this is true, maybe he will change his mind after talking to the Stoops brothers.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2012, 11:39 PM
@Jake_Trotter

I would certainly assume (Bob) Stoops would continue to recruit Harris unless he has completely eliminated OU.

StoopTroup
1/11/2012, 12:03 AM
LOL....some good stuff.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2012, 12:38 AM

OMG, I thought everyone knew why we lost to Arkansas in the Orange Bowl... :eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2012, 12:40 AM
Youngsters. Switzer had a D-coordinator, a funny guy named Larry Lacewell. I think he recruited the Selmons, Rod Shoate and the badazz defense of the mid-70s. Anyway, Switzer was having an affair with Lacewell's wife, and allegedly paid Lacewell $25K to keep it hush-hush. Guess it didn't work.

Switzer and Lacewell remained friends though and Lacewell even worked for Switzer when he coached the Dallas Cowboys.

Didn't he walk out at the Orange Bowl, told Switzer on the headset that he was gone and walked out... One reason we lost to Arkansas. That's the story I got in 1978...

OU-HSV
1/11/2012, 12:47 AM

Switzer and Lacewell remained friends though and Lacewell even worked for Switzer when he coached the Dallas Cowboys.I wasn't quite alive yet in the mid 70's but close, interesting story nonetheless.

StoopTroup
1/11/2012, 12:54 AM
I wasn't quite alive yet in the mid 70's but close, interesting story nonetheless.

Is Barry your Father? Because that would be an interesting story....lol :D ;)

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2012, 01:02 AM
I do recall this bumper sticker

Switzer had it in for Lacewell

NYC Poke
1/11/2012, 01:27 AM
Didn't he walk out at the Orange Bowl, told Switzer on the headset that he was gone and walked out... One reason we lost to Arkansas. That's the story I got in 1978...

I don't know if that's what happened, but I remember that game. Because of the Gene Leroy Hart thing, I had to go to scout camp in Arkansas the following summer. It was hell. I've hated Arkansas ever since.

picasso
1/11/2012, 09:03 AM
I don't know if that's what happened, but I remember that game. Because of the Gene Leroy Hart thing, I had to go to scout camp in Arkansas the following summer. It was hell. I've hated Arkansas ever since.
Did you hear a banjo in the distance on yonder mountain?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2012, 09:52 AM

Why is that?

Breadburner
1/11/2012, 10:25 AM
Its not a done deal.....

Sooner in Tampa
1/11/2012, 01:28 PM
Joe Schad says as early as today:

schadjoe (http://twitter.com/schadjoe)
Mike Stoops is officially joining Oklahoma as co-defensive coordinator as soon as today

schadjoe (http://twitter.com/schadjoe)
Willie Martinez leaving OU staff will make room for Stoops reunion

NOVSooner
1/11/2012, 01:29 PM
per Joe Schad, Martinez is out and Mike Stoops is to join the OU staff as co-DC, as early as today.

edit: clearly i type too slow

badger
1/11/2012, 01:47 PM
You look at Mike Stoops and think he's the red haired stepchild of the family:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2012/20120111_ARIZONALSUCOLLEGEFOOTBALL.jpg

But then you see the other Stoops brothers and realize Bob's the odd one out :D

Ron Jr (Youngstown State)
http://www.penguinsfootballcamps.com/images/Ron%20Stoops%202011.jpg

Mark (Florida State)
http://nbccollegefootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/mark-stoops.jpg

:D

BoomerJ
1/11/2012, 01:50 PM
It's amazing to see four brothers all want to pursue the same thing, much less all succeed in it.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/11/2012, 01:55 PM
I'm looking forward to Bob, Mike and Brent all yelling back and forth at each other again on the sidelines on who screwed up. Good times!

badger
1/11/2012, 02:06 PM
I'm looking forward to Bob, Mike and Brent all yelling back and forth at each other again on the sidelines on who screwed up. Good times!

Someone once told me that Brent and Mike used to play off each other yelling in practice (back when those were open to the public), so I'd like to think that they would be able to be bad-cop/badder-cop once again :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/11/2012, 02:10 PM

Its more related to the fact that Texas is after him big time than this.

Boomer.....
1/11/2012, 02:18 PM
Hopefully Mike can bring the intensity and attitude level up.

Lott's Bandana
1/11/2012, 02:21 PM
Let's get Mikey to try it!

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8589/littlemickeylifecerealcq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/littlemickeylifecerealcq.jpg/)

Booner
1/11/2012, 02:33 PM
Now can we get Mike Leach while we're at it?:smiley_simmons:

sooneredaco
1/11/2012, 02:34 PM
Hopefully Mike can bring the intensity and attitude level up.

Crazy stat! Last years pass defense 79th Mike's last year 2nd!

https://twitter.com/jake_trotter/status/157182874481733632

Yea he'll bring some intensity back

Soonerman08
1/11/2012, 02:36 PM
Good thing Venables doesn't have brothers!

ba-dum crash! :)

...or he may have brothers, I don't even know, I couldn't resist a cheap shot! LOL

Ummmm I am pretty sure Venables lost his brother at the beginning of the season.

Curly Bill
1/11/2012, 02:40 PM
Oh crap! You're right. I didn't remember that. Ima go back and delete that post.

LVSOONER15
1/11/2012, 02:47 PM
Jake_Trotter Jake Trotter
OU had 5 DB All-Americans under Mike Stoops from 2000-03. Since? Just 1

That should be an incentive for any high schooler looking at OU

Hotrod3157
1/11/2012, 02:51 PM
Mixed feelings about this. I was wanting some kind of change on D made but I wasn't on the bring back Mike bandwagon. Its a change though so hopefully itll work out like it did before he left.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2012, 03:03 PM
Crazy stat! Last years pass defense 79th Mike's last year 2nd!

https://twitter.com/jake_trotter/status/157182874481733632

Yea he'll bring some intensity back

Name the great passing offenses faced in 2003.

BillyBall
1/11/2012, 03:06 PM
Name the great passing offenses faced in 2003.

Tech and.... Tech.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/11/2012, 03:07 PM
Sooner defensive national award winners in the Mike Stoops era of 5 years:

Lombardi Award

2003: Tommie Harris

Butkus Award:

2001: Rocky Calmus
2003: Teddy Lehman

Thorpe Award:

2001: Roy Williams
2003: Derrick Strait

Bednarik Award:

Nagurski Award:

Bednarik Award:

Sooner defensive national award winners in the Brent Venables era of 8 years:

Still waiting....

SoonerAtKU
1/11/2012, 03:11 PM
Let's see, Strait, Williams, Perkins, Thatcher...Everage?

thecrimsoncrusader
1/11/2012, 03:11 PM
Here were the total passing yard averages for the 2003 season of all Big 12 teams sans Oklahoma. Obviously Oklahoma didn't play all of those teams, but I was curious:

1. Texas Tech
18. Colorado
31. Kansas
66. Texas A&M
67. Kansas St.
70. Texas
79. Oklahoma St.
94. Iowa St.
98. Baylor
102. Missouri
114. Nebraska

thecrimsoncrusader
1/11/2012, 03:14 PM
Let's see, Strait, Williams, Perkins, Thatcher...Everage?

I was listing "national" award winners only. Not sure if your response was in regards to my response though. :pride:

SoonerAtKU
1/11/2012, 03:21 PM
Actually I was trying to think of the DB All-Americans. Google confirms that those appear to be the 5. I honestly didn't think Everage was one, but I couldn't think of any others besides maybe Woolfolk.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/11/2012, 03:33 PM
There were 5 teams in the Big 12 in the 2003 season that were in the Top 30 in scoring with 3 of them being in the Top 11 and out of the South (not including Oklahoma) and Oklahoma was 5th in the nation in scoring defense.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2012, 03:43 PM
Here were the total passing yard averages for the 2003 season of all Big 12 teams sans Oklahoma. Obviously Oklahoma didn't play all of those teams, but I was curious:

1. Texas Tech
18. Colorado
31. Kansas
66. Texas A&M
67. Kansas St.
70. Texas
79. Oklahoma St.
94. Iowa St.
98. Baylor
102. Missouri
114. Nebraska

We didn't play Kansas and I don't know how much of the Kstate debaucle to blame on Mike Stoops..I know he didn't help any but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one...

OUInformant
1/11/2012, 03:46 PM
Yes. :excitement:

thecrimsoncrusader
1/11/2012, 03:51 PM
We didn't play Kansas and I don't know how much of the Kstate debaucle to blame on Mike Stoops..I know he didn't help any but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one...

To me, it was just an over-confident team. Oklahoma had quick starts in the 1st quarter that season and drive straight down the field and scored a TD in that game. KSU also started the game with 5 straight 3 and outs on offense. It was business as usual it seemed. The team just never got it in gear and you throw in the fact that they didn't have to win that game to play for the NC and well, you get 35-7. That along with Bill Snyder being familiar with the coaching staff's tendencies and defensive scheme that finally broke through on that one unfortunate run by Sproles and beyond.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/11/2012, 09:53 PM
Sooner defensive national award winners in the Mike Stoops era of 5 years:

Lombardi Award

2003: Tommie Harris

Butkus Award:

2001: Rocky Calmus

Thorpe Award:

Bednarik Award:

Nagurski Award:

Bednarik Award:

Sooner defensive national award winners in the Brent Venables era of 8 years:

Still waiting....

Just to point something out here.

2 of the guys listed weren't even recruited by this coaching staff.
1 of the guys was literally the last guy on the board we wanted at DB (Strait) in a seriously short recruiting period (2 months). That short recruiting period remains one of the best classes we've brought in under the current coaching staff.
1 of the guys was recruited by the guy everyone hates (Lehman)

And the ONLY reason that Gerald McCoy didn't walk away with as much hardware as Harris was because of a once a generation player in his class (Suh).

StoopTroup
1/11/2012, 10:15 PM
So now that he's coming....we are even more screwed? LMAO!

Man some folks are really trying to make a case that this isn't the great move that many think it is....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 12:45 AM
So now that he's coming....we are even more screwed? LMAO!

Man some folks are really trying to make a case that this isn't the great move that many think it is....

Mike's success is still going to be a function of the players he has. They don't need to be 1st round talent, but they need to be guys who really understand the game.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 12:47 AM
Mike's success is still going to be a function of the players he has. They don't need to be 1st round talent, but they need to be guys who really understand the game.

Did you see the link that I posted? BS-JE at the Hideout found that link to Mike's announcement....

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?165259-Mike-does-his-own-announcement

thecrimsoncrusader
1/12/2012, 07:10 AM
Just to point something out here.

2 of the guys listed weren't even recruited by this coaching staff.
1 of the guys was literally the last guy on the board we wanted at DB (Strait) in a seriously short recruiting period (2 months). That short recruiting period remains one of the best classes we've brought in under the current coaching staff.
1 of the guys was recruited by the guy everyone hates (Lehman)

And the ONLY reason that Gerald McCoy didn't walk away with as much hardware as Harris was because of a once a generation player in his class (Suh).

And your point is?

thecrimsoncrusader
1/12/2012, 07:16 AM

I agree with that and it all revolves around the Sooner defensive tackles. I'm not a Brent Venables fan, but he sure did look like a defensive coaching genius when he had a dominant defensive tackle in the 2009 season. Regardless, Venables and Shipp et all need to do a much better job regarding the recruiting and coaching of defensive tackles. The current group is pretty much a bust (McFarland, McGree, Walker), so the Sooner hopes rest with Wade, Anderson, Peterson (my understanding is he is back, but on a short leash, but at least he did what Hayewood failed to do to at least get back on the leash) and Philips. Oklahoma's linebacking corps and secondary are much better than they have been able to display, but have been greatly exploited due to the Sooner defensive front.

badger
1/12/2012, 09:19 AM
Bob Stoops confirmed it himself this morning.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120112_92_0_Oklaho898377)

Curly Bill
1/12/2012, 09:22 AM
I agree with that and it all revolves around the Sooner defensive tackles. I'm not a Brent Venables fan, but he sure did look like a defensive coaching genius when he had a dominant defensive tackle in the 2009 season. Regardless, Venables and Shipp et all need to do a much better job regarding the recruiting and coaching of defensive tackles. The current group is pretty much a bust (McFarland, McGree, Walker), so the Sooner hopes rest with Wade, Anderson, Peterson (my understanding is he is back, but on a short leash, but at least he did what Hayewood failed to do to at least get back on the leash) and Philips. Oklahoma's linebacking corps and secondary are much better than they have been able to display, but have been greatly exploited due to the Sooner defensive front.

He did? He may have looked better than usual, but defensive coaching genius???

thecrimsoncrusader
1/12/2012, 09:29 AM
He did? He may have looked better than usual, but defensive coaching genius???

Do you know what the phrase "in a manner of speaking" means? ;) The point was, a dominant defensive tackle is the difference between having a legit defense and not having a legit defense. With that said, it's the coaching staff's job to make that happen and they haven't the past couple of seasons.

EatLeadCommie
1/12/2012, 09:32 AM
The game has changed a lot since Mike left. Count me in as somebody who isn't very optimistic that this move is going to matter. To me, it's a backward thinking move and, if anything, will make us even less inclined to change. We shall see. I hope I'm wrong.

In any case, we still need to address sucky special teams and an offensive line that can't run block.

sooneredaco
1/12/2012, 09:35 AM
Great to see Mike coming back home. Glad to see big bro confirming it too.

"So where is Willie going?"

"Not sure. Has a lot of offers." aka not my problem

thecrimsoncrusader
1/12/2012, 09:41 AM
The game has changed a lot since Mike left. Count me in as somebody who isn't very optimistic that this move is going to matter. To me, it's a backward thinking move and, if anything, will make us even less inclined to change. We shall see. I hope I'm wrong.

In any case, we still need to address sucky special teams and an offensive line that can't run block.

The game may have changed, but coaching defensive backs hasn't changed. Teaching them to play with their hair on fire hasn't changed. Teaching them to wrap up and destroy opposing players hasn't changed. Providing input on exploiting opposing teams special teams weaknesses hasn't changed. Mike has a lot to offer and this is a great addition. He will also be around to push Bob Stoops to be aggressive again. Mike was the devil on Bob's shoulders those years and that has been greatly missed for several years now.

I agree about the offensive line, but at least the special teams unit finally has a place kicker. Now just need to fix kickoffs, kickoff coverage and getting productive kickoff and punt returns. :)

Curly Bill
1/12/2012, 09:47 AM
Do you know what the phrase "in a manner of speaking" means? ;) The point was, a dominant defensive tackle is the difference between having a legit defense and not having a legit defense. With that said, it's the coaching staff's job to make that happen and they haven't the past couple of seasons.

I know what it means but you didn't say that now did you?

thecrimsoncrusader
1/12/2012, 09:56 AM
I know what it means but you didn't say that now did you?

I thought it was glaringly obvious, but I guess not. Am I going to have to call Wyatt Earp to put you down again?

kbsooner21
1/12/2012, 10:00 AM
Does StoopTroup believe it now :D

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 10:10 AM
Does StoopTroup believe it now :D

Do you believe it?

Scott D
1/12/2012, 11:36 AM
To answer STEP, Tech was the only team in the Big-12 that threw for 300+ yards per game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 02:08 PM
And your point is?

That our recruiting has been the problem for a while

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 02:20 PM
Here is the thing.

Do I think that Mike's defense will be better than Brent's? Yes.

Why? Tony Jefferson. Mike has this uncanny ability to make the other team hammer themselves against our strongest players.

Do I think our D will magically go to top 10? No.

Why? Because our LB talent is horrid. Mike got teams to run at Rocky (then Lehman) or at TGRW. We have a TGRW on campus, but we don't even have a Gayron Allen much less a Rocky on campus. We saw this in 2002 when we lost that opposite side hammer and our D was less effective.

Will we be better against the pass? Yes and No. The question mark is whether we actually get some growth this year out of Hurst. Not sure if you noticed but he actually regressed this year and didn't make the quantum leap forward that you normally see out of a sophomore to a junior. Mike has traditionally gotten his starting corners very sound, very quickly. The problem has always been that it took him 3 recruits to find 1 starter and we just can't handle that kind of miss ratio without pulling a Saban.

delhalew
1/12/2012, 02:20 PM
That our recruiting has been the problem for a while

Did we get around to discussing what the solution to that problem might be? I would to preempt certain posters by saying...join the SEC? Lol.

delhalew
1/12/2012, 02:29 PM
Ok. I believe you are of the opinion that Mike is no better in recruiting than Brent. Well that sounds promising.

SoonerAtKU
1/12/2012, 02:29 PM
Get better at evaluating talent? Teach BJW how to scout for DBs like he does for other positions?

oumartin
1/12/2012, 02:34 PM
I call bs on not recruiting good talent.

Quinton Carter is playing in Denver, Dom Franks in Atlanta.

The talent is there.. They lack coaching. I don't care how much internet coaching you got you're full of ****!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 02:54 PM

The talent is there.. They lack coaching. I don't care how much internet coaching you got you're full of ****!

You are using the proof of 2 defensive backs in the NFL to counter my argument that our linebacker talent is bad? I guess I should feel sorry for how much internet retard you've accumulated.

badger
1/12/2012, 02:54 PM

I wish there were more pro options that were optimal than the Neffel, because we have had some of the best football players in college come through OU that didn't get much of a chance in the NFL, like Jason White and Josh Heupel.

I don't think not succeeding in the NFL should be a knock on the players or the coaches. It's a different game from the college one, even if they're both "football."

SoonerAtKU
1/12/2012, 02:55 PM
No, I believe he's talking about Mike Stoops' skills at evaluating, recruiting, and retaining DBs. Martinez and Wright brought in some quality guys, but couldn't build a scheme that fit what Brent was doing AND highlighted the talents of the guys they had. Stoops' apparent skill is the gameplan and coaching once the talent is on campus. With a side-order of hard-*** that can run people off if they're not built to take it.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 02:58 PM
You are using the proof of 2 defensive backs in the NFL to counter my argument that our linebacker talent is bad? I guess I should feel sorry for how much internet retard you've accumulated.

LMAO

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 03:03 PM
Here is the thing.

Do I think that Mike's defense will be better than Brent's? Yes.

Why? Tony Jefferson. Mike has this uncanny ability to make the other team hammer themselves against our strongest players.

Do I think our D will magically go to top 10? No.

Why? Because our LB talent is horrid. Mike got teams to run at Rocky (then Lehman) or at TGRW. We have a TGRW on campus, but we don't even have a Gayron Allen much less a Rocky on campus. We saw this in 2002 when we lost that opposite side hammer and our D was less effective.

Will we be better against the pass? Yes and No. The question mark is whether we actually get some growth this year out of Hurst. Not sure if you noticed but he actually regressed this year and didn't make the quantum leap forward that you normally see out of a sophomore to a junior. Mike has traditionally gotten his starting corners very sound, very quickly. The problem has always been that it took him 3 recruits to find 1 starter and we just can't handle that kind of miss ratio without pulling a Saban.

I think that happened to more than just Hurst but it's a valid point.

Tying in what Brent was doing with what Mike wants to do seems like a much easier thing to accomplish based on what we know about them working together before Mike left 7 years ago but i do agree that we should all also be somewhat cautious as 7 years is a long time for two guys to have been apart. Maybe it gets better or even legendary or maybe they also have some problem their 1st year of being reunited?

I surely hope we see legendary.

SoonerMom2
1/12/2012, 04:07 PM
According to KREF, Mike Stoops will be announced within the hour and Martinez is off the staff.

badger
1/12/2012, 04:21 PM
According to KREF, Mike Stoops will be announced within the hour and Martinez is off the staff.

15 minutes down, 45 to go... :D

cvsooner
1/12/2012, 04:55 PM
I hope Mike's defensive plans work out, but I also know over the past couple of years, Arizona's d got lit up twice big time by OSewe. Doesn't look good as far as that record goes. I suspect the final analysis will show that a) Brent wasn't nearly as bad as perceived and b) Mike isn't nearly as great as perceived. But I guess it can happen to anybody. Heck, Saban's Alabama boys got completely toasted by Utah in the Sugar Bowl, so there's that.

I think it's also possible that some players may leave is BV does. Think of that for a minute or two. No easy answers here.

I'm just tired of the suspense. Make the moves, and let's get on with it.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 04:58 PM
More Dean Blevins...

I was told Sat BrentVenables was getting "antsy" & talking w WVa & other schools.Then told Sunday by MStoops' friends he was 100% supportive

2 b clear: 1-I believe BVenables is an excellent FB coach & most criticism is unjustified. 2- #OU (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23OU) is better off w BV AND MStoops together

Venables is a detailed fanatic. Weeden told me Holgerson didn't even give him a playbook @ OSU. Diametrically opposite approaches 2 coaching

@Jake_Trotter (http://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter) Duly noted...it's weird following Holgerson...it's almost like he idolizes Leach so much he mimmicks his style and speech

"We've got another run left in us,"...that's what a person n the program told me when confirming the return of Mike Stoops to #OU (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23OU) #Sooners (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Sooners)

http://twitter.com/#!/DeanBlevins

kbsooner21
1/12/2012, 05:31 PM
Do you believe it?

I've believed it since the day after he was offered the D-Cord job at Ohio St and didn't immediately jump on it.

But I'm also pretty optimistic too :D

Tidefan36854
1/12/2012, 07:24 PM
I think Mike returning is just OU needs to get you back to where you belong. Those were some nasty defenses you guys had when Mike was there.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2012, 07:51 PM
Its more related to the fact that Texas is after him big time than this.

So what kind of rainbow is ole yeller teef promising the kid??? Limo's, guarunteed starting position, under the table money???

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2012, 07:56 PM
Great to see Mike coming back home. Glad to see big bro confirming it too.

"So where is Willie going?"

"Not sure. Has a lot of offers." aka not my problem

So "officially" did Bob just fire someone or did he resign to pursue other options???

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 08:27 PM
So what kind of rainbow is ole yeller teef promising the kid??? Limo's, guarunteed starting position, under the table money???

I imagine he'd just point out that he's sent twice as many DBs to the pros as we have.

cccasooner2
1/12/2012, 08:35 PM
Why? Because our LB talent is horrid. Mike got teams to run at Rocky (then Lehman) or at TGRW. We have a TGRW on campus, but we don't even have a Gayron Allen much less a Rocky on campus......

I’M beginning to understand why you hang out on a message board instead of being the next greatest NFL talent scout. We'll see what you say next year.

oumartin
1/12/2012, 08:40 PM

We've sent others. just pointing out you have no clue what you are talking about as usual.

badger
1/13/2012, 04:15 PM
If it's not official enough already, OU just put out a press release:

Linky (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011312aaa.html)

Mike in, Willie out. Out where? Who knows:

"Willie has some attractive options and is going to pursue them," Bob Stoops said. "I appreciate all of Willie's work here. He represented our program in the right way and will continue to do well in our profession."

Martinez, while looking ahead, said he was grateful for his time at OU.

"I've been presented with some professional opportunities that I want to pursue," he said. "In leaving Oklahoma, I want to convey my thanks and appreciation to Joe Castiglione, Bob Stoops, the football staff, our players and the Sooner fans. OU has a great football tradition and I am pleased that I've had the opportunity to coach here and meet a number of wonderful people. I certainly wish the Sooners all the best going forward."

hmm...

badger
1/13/2012, 04:18 PM
WAIT A SECOND...

wife, Nicole

Did he and Nicole get back together after their separation and imminent divorce in 2009? If so, awesome! :)

colleyvillesooner
1/13/2012, 04:22 PM
And he an Venables have already left for the recruiting trail.

WE GOT THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!!!!!

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 04:27 PM
The pros from Dover..

badger
1/13/2012, 04:27 PM
And he an Venables have already left for the recruiting trail.

WE GOT THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!!!!!

Here's their debut album cover :D

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2012/20120113_orangebowl1111333.jpg

(from the 2001 Orange Bowl)

SoonerTerry
1/13/2012, 04:28 PM
WOO HOOOO!!!!!

SoonerTerry
1/13/2012, 04:29 PM
I am shickled titless

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 04:31 PM
Shot please...

SoonerBBall
1/13/2012, 04:34 PM
I’M beginning to understand why you hang out on a message board instead of being the next greatest NFL talent scout. We'll see what you say next year.

I'm really interested for you to tell us what part of that quote is incorrect.

Seriously, wow us with your insight.

SoonerMom2
1/13/2012, 04:48 PM
Bob Stoops is on KREF now being interviewed. He said that two hours after Mike signed and was briefed by compliance, that Venerables and M. Stoops were headed to the airport to recruit. Bob Stoops arrived back at the office from a recruiting visit in Edmond just as the two were getting in a car to go to the airport. He sounds very happy to have the two back together.

SoonerNomad
1/13/2012, 06:42 PM
Here's their debut album cover :D

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2012/20120113_orangebowl1111333.jpg

(from the 2001 Orange Bowl)

They were so young then. So were we.

cccasooner2
1/13/2012, 07:47 PM
They were so young then. So were we.

Even those over 40 remember.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mike-gundy-dancing.jpg

cccasooner2
1/13/2012, 09:41 PM
Did you see the link that I posted? BS-JE at the Hideout found that link to Mike's announcement....

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?165259-Mike-does-his-own-announcement

ScoopStoop.

birddog
1/13/2012, 10:14 PM
this is something people have wanted for 7 years now. hard to believe it's gonna actually happen. crazy world.

haven't seen mike since he was tomcattin with a couple feminitas at studio 54, or whatever the hell it's called, in bricktown.

hoping we can bring back a team that represents us well and doesn't hafta pay sec dollars just to get a leg up.

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 01:09 PM
And here's the Official Announcement....

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011312aaa.html

cleller
1/15/2012, 09:24 AM
Have you noticed how blue the sky looks since Mike came back?

SoonernAR
1/15/2012, 09:59 AM
Call it what you will, but I felt our D lost its spark when Mike left.......I feel alot better about next year now.

boomersooner28
1/15/2012, 10:00 AM
ATTITUDE!!!!

Mike brings it.

AlboSooner
1/15/2012, 10:12 AM
More yelling does not equate with more results. It is part of out American culture that we like a leader who acts tough, who speaks with passion and conviction, regardless if they produce or not.

OU's defense is at a foundational disadvantage because OU runs the no-huddle, spread offense. Bob Stoops admitted himself that he knew the defense would suffer when they went to the no-huddle, spread offense. When you score quickly that means the defense will be on the field more often. The defense will have more chances to bust a coverage. Defensive players will have more chances to get hurt, and will wear out sooner in the season.

Even in 2009 when OU made it to NC game, the defense was not good, despite a stellar performance in the NC game. Remember, the 2009 team was stacked with NFL talent, having four starters who went in the top 16 of the draft. That is tremendous amount of talent.

SoonernAR
1/15/2012, 10:16 AM
Perhaps it depends on who is doing the yelling, when I see Brent V doing it, not motivated.........Mike brings a kinda "fear of God" manliness when he does it. :)

AlboSooner
1/15/2012, 10:22 AM
People don't bust coverages because they don't fear BV.

oumartin
1/15/2012, 11:43 AM
Mike Stoops has swagger!

IronHorseSooner
1/15/2012, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=AlboSooner;3441502]More yelling does not equate with more results. It is part of out American culture that we like a leader who acts tough, who speaks with passion and conviction, regardless if they produce or not.

OU's defense is at a foundational disadvantage because OU runs the no-huddle, spread offense. Bob Stoops admitted himself that he knew the defense would suffer when they went to the no-huddle, spread offense. When you score quickly that means the defense will be on the field more often. The defense will have more chances to bust a coverage. Defensive players will have more chances to get hurt, and will wear out sooner in the season.

Even in 2009 when OU made it to NC game, the defense was not good, despite a stellar performance in the NC game. Remember, the 2009 team was stacked with NFL talent, having four starters who went in the top 16 of the draft. That is tremendous amount of talent.[/QUOTE

This is where we must develop reserves. If our D is out there longer, we need to develop guys who can give the 1st team rest on a series. This is what has frustrated me, especially in the secondary. This is where I think Mike can help and develop these guys. We should have never had a problem against Tech when Lynn was out there replacing Fleming.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2012, 02:56 PM
Even in 2009 when OU made it to NC game, the defense was not good, despite a stellar performance in the NC game. Remember, the 2009 team was stacked with NFL talent, having four starters who went in the top 16 of the draft. That is tremendous amount of talent.

In 2009, we were in the top 10 in total and scoring defense. What defines "good" in your mind?

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2012, 03:01 PM
Wait, we made the national title game in the 2009 season? Living in Tuscaloosa, I'm sure I would have heard more about this.

Boomer.....
1/15/2012, 03:55 PM
Looks like the show will be all Mike's now.

oumartin
1/15/2012, 04:18 PM
Mike: Brent, Let's make this clear; Bob pulled alot of strings to get you this Clemson deal. It's probably not wise to turn it down.

Brent: Yes, I really appreciate Bob letting me ride along with you saying we were "out recruiting". At least I can leave with my pride in tact.

Mike: Have you seen your defenses? You should have no pride left. I can't believe you didn't learn a darn thing while I was here with you last time.

Brent: I know, the message boards are brutal toward me.
I even made up my own handle and I go on there and draw diagrams and talk x's and O's and try to make everyone else out to be idiots. They think I'm a software engineer or something like that.:giggle:

Mike: Well, maybe you should spend a little more time game planning and less time on the message boards.

BTW, Bob says your not invited to next years Stoops Thanksgiving.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 04:47 PM
Mike: Brent, Let's make this clear; Bob pulled alot of strings to get you this Clemson deal. It's probably not wise to turn it down.

Brent: Yes, I really appreciate Bob letting me ride along with you saying we were "out recruiting". At least I can leave with my pride in tact.

Mike: Have you seen your defenses? You should have no pride left. I can't believe you didn't learn a darn thing while I was here with you last time.

Brent: I know, the message boards are brutal toward me.
I even made up my own handle and I go on there and draw diagrams and talk x's and O's and try to make everyone else out to be idiots. They think I'm a software engineer or something like that.:giggle:

Mike: Well, maybe you should spend a little more time game planning and less time on the message boards.

BTW, Bob says your not invited to next years Stoops Thanksgiving.

Weird, Where do you get the idea to do something like that?

You better thank Collier.

birddog
1/15/2012, 04:53 PM
baaaaa, excellent university, certainly, no question. glad to be back with the SOONER family and uhhh, no question ready to tcb, certainly.

i'm completely stoked about mikey and i thank venables for all the work he's done for us. he'll get a good gig and continue to coach for 40 more years, barring a blown jugular after a player misses an assignment.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 05:03 PM
Looks like the show will be all Mike's now.

Uh-huh....

As with any situation like this, things can remain fluid until all parties have signed the dotted line. Coach Venables would most likely head back to Oklahoma to inform folks there of his intentions to step down from that program, so one could expect a full court press from Sooner head coach Bob Stoops to try to keep Venable’s services in Norman. Sources reported just yesterday to The Clemson Insider that Coach Stoops had already offered to nearly double Coach Venables salary from a reported $440,000 per year to $750,000 per year. Sources have also told us that Clemson has tendered an offer of more than Oklahoma’s $750,000 per year offer.

Dabo Gets His Man (http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2012/01/15/dabo-gets-his-man/) - at least we think he did...LMAO!
http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2012/01/15/dabo-gets-his-man/