PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gumby, Dam**t

Skysooner
1/8/2012, 11:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7437517/oklahoma-state-cowboys-mike-gundy-agrees-new-eight-year-contract

3 wins under Pat Jones and only coaching 6 years? Says a bunch about OSU's "history"....

Bet we beat them by 3 TDs next year.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 11:41 PM
He's getting a sweet deal.

Skysooner
1/9/2012, 12:11 AM
Very nice considering. I think they will be top tier Big 12 next year but not really challenge us.

badger
1/9/2012, 09:45 AM
College football coaches are like Fortune 500 CEOs --- big ol' salaries before the fact based on reputation alone, then big golden parachutes should they fail.

Gundy saw a BIG dropoff in talent going into next season and much like Charlie Weis during his final season with Brady Quinn, Gundy said "Dang it, I need to secure a big long term deal before I start going 7-6 again!" and lo and behold, he hires a pushy agent to get the job done.

Let's not be cordial about this --- Gundy was given a head coaching job at the only place that would have given a younger coach like him a head coaching job in a BCS conferece. He was once paid $700k for his "New York Yankees job." to only get one win in the Big 12 that season, with an overall losing record. He was scheduled to make $2.25 million this upcoming season... is that not good enough for the place that took a chance on you, the STILL youngest head coach in Big 12 football, who gave you your big break, your alma mater, your "New York Yankees job?!"

Pokes might be like "Why the eff do you care, Gooner?" Because for too long, our state tax dollars have subsidized your money-losing football program (actually, the entire OSU athletic program) and I can't stand the thought of us doing it again when you can't afford (on average) $3.7 million per year to Gundy when you are no longer selling out your dinky stadium via your screwy season ticket policy for the same reason you no longer sell out your beloved GIA... you'll price fans outta the game, you won't have an OU-OSU or prime non-conference matchup to sell fans on every season, you'll lose more, etc. If it can happen to your storied basketball program, it can happen in football, too.

Breadburner
1/9/2012, 09:48 AM
They could hire a better coach for a lot less.....

badger
1/9/2012, 10:05 AM
They could hire a better coach for a lot less.....

Or... they could have asked Gundy to honor the contract that he already signed that he was only a few years into! $2.25 million! It's not like they haven't won a conference championship in football before, nor is it like they haven't ever had a one-loss season before, or never beat us fairweather fan cheatin' gooners before!

Where was he gonna go, Penn State? [hairGel]

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 12:03 PM
Aggies... Can't live with them, would rather live without them.

kbsooner21
1/9/2012, 12:13 PM
I hate the Cowboys with a passion, but they finally made the right move here. I was wondering if the deal was ever gonna get done.

Dio
1/9/2012, 01:41 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about Joe Bowden.

allanace16
1/9/2012, 03:23 PM
Considering the deal Travis Ford got, I would have been pissed and ready for a new deal too if I was Gundy.

badger
1/9/2012, 03:39 PM
Considering the deal Travis Ford got, I would have been pissed and ready for a new deal too if I was Gundy.

Travis Ford: Big deal after two NCAA tourney trips
Mike Gundy: Big deal after two 11+ win seasons.

Travis Ford: Crash and burrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnn after contract year.
Mike Gundy: You see where this is headed, don't you

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 03:49 PM

I like where this is going

oSuJeff1997
1/9/2012, 04:35 PM
LOL at all of badger's wishful thinking.

allanace16
1/9/2012, 04:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vX07j9SDFcc#t=182s

This is all I heard in my head after reading that, haha......

sooneredaco
1/9/2012, 04:55 PM
LOL at all of badger's wishful thinking.

What's your opinion of next year for your Oklahoma A&M boys? Not wrastlin either