PDA

View Full Version : somebody shut cousin billy bob up

sooneredaco
1/7/2012, 12:15 AM
I'm tiered of the SEC. Somebody needs to punch that fat a$$ kid in the mouth!

IronHorseSooner
1/7/2012, 10:25 AM
There are only a few programs around the country that could potentially do this- SUC, tOSU, *, OU, Miami, FSU, Michigan, PSU, Oregon, VA Tech, Nebbish, and ND. These are the ones who have the traditional resources and recruiting ability to challenge the Evil Empire. However, here are the problems:

SUC: Just coming off of probation, and they have really only one window (2012) to do anything
tOSU: Just going on probabtion
*: Can't find their arses right now
OU: Internal issues and injuries get us every year
Miami: Going on probation; hurt by SEC success
FSU: Just now getting better and getting talent
Michigan: Due to bad coaching hires, just now getting better
PSU: Too many internal issues
Oregon: The noob in this group, but they have been under scrutiny
VA Tech: Hurt by SEC success in terms of recruiting
Nebraska: Bad coaching decisions and lack of sustained talent pool
ND: Game has passed them by

I was thinking about this the other day- is the SEC getting better or have the other blue bloods just not figured it out yet? I don't see the northern teams ever getting back into this because they will continue to fight for a dwindling talent pool (tOSU, PSU, Mich, ND, and Neb). The first four of those have been garish with the way they are handling their internal issues over the past few years, and Neb may never get back. Teams like FSU and Miami continue to have to compete for the elite guys out of FLA, and they still haven't got over the hump. They have also had coaching issues. VA Tech may never get there, and one must wonder just how much longer Beamer will be there. SUC cannot just hoard talent like they used to do, and they will be under the NCAA microscope for a while. * has the resources (money, talent), but they will never get rid of Mack. That leaves OU and UO. Oregon seems to be a gimmick, and they don't have the long-tome winning culture to keep this sustained.

This leaves us. This is also why, IMHO, a lot of us a so frustrated with the injuries, malcontents, and poor position coaching. We might be the only one who has the right combination of talent, resources, tradition, and Head Coach to pull this off. There is a reason why the SEC, off and on for the past 20 years, has wanted OU there. Even in their recent run of success, they still wanted us. I feel the media wants a team or teams to dethrone the SEC. This is why they fawn all over the teams that I just mentioned. I feel it is imperative that Coach Stoops rights this ship, because it is there for the taking. His house cleaning is exhibit #1 of this.

sooneredaco
1/7/2012, 12:22 PM
It's getting really old. I agree that OU shoulda in the best position to dethrone the Almighty SEC. It does blow my mind though that * can't seem to get their sh!t together to make a run. I'm not complaining about it, but it does trip me out. I hope coach Stoops can get it put together next year.

mehip
1/7/2012, 12:22 PM
T
I was thinking about this the other day- is the SEC getting better or have the other blue bloods just not figured it out yet?

This. Titles are won by OL and DL. We've had some great OLs in the past and some very good DLs. Hopefully some teams have or will invest a few years of recruiting and coaching to focus on depth at DL and OT. Once that happens the SEC will have some solid challengers.

Sooner5030
1/7/2012, 12:34 PM
meh

i didn't see domination in our BCS games.......if that was the case I could make the statement that the PAC is dominate. I go into the fetal position when I think of that game.

OU is somewhere around .650 against the SEC. And that is usually playing bowl games or OOC against decent SEC opponents. Not like playing 2012 Ole MIss.

IronHorseSooner
1/7/2012, 12:49 PM
BLUF: There is no excuse for us not dethroning these guys. Once again, in 2012, we will be in position to do it by having one of the more experienced teams around. As for lines, we will have a combined seven of nine OL & DL starters who will be SRs. This is not counting Gabe Ikard, who might be the overall best of them. Nobody else out there can say that. We will have an NFL-caliber QB, veteran RBs and LBs, and some talent in the secondary. Ironically, we should have the best STs in the conference. There is absolutely no excuse next year.

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 01:02 PM
BLUF: There is no excuse for us not dethroning these guys. Once again, in 2012, we will be in position to do it by having one of the more experienced teams around. As for lines, we will have a combined seven of nine OL & DL starters who will be SRs. This is not counting Gabe Ikard, who might be the overall best of them. Nobody else out there can say that. We will have an NFL-caliber QB, veteran RBs and LBs, and some talent in the secondary. Ironically, we should have the best STs in the conference. There is absolutely no excuse next year.

We need some WRs and if Dom doesn't have a 100% recovery it leaves two RBs that have both also been injured so I'm gonna say that we should get a couple more RBs just to make sure we don't end up with a "MEH" running game 1/2 through the season next year.

mehip
1/7/2012, 01:59 PM
meh

i didn't see domination in our BCS games.......if that was the case I could make the statement that the PAC is dominate. I go into the fetal position when I think of that game.

OU is somewhere around .650 against the SEC. And that is usually playing bowl games or OOC against decent SEC opponents. Not like playing 2012 Ole MIss.

Oh Yeah, the 2008 team had one of the best OLs I've seen. And our DL wasn't half bad either. Against FL we were gashing them...man I wish Demarco played in that game.

I was thinking more about the OL we've had in the last 2 or so seasons. Fantastic pass protection but just not able to dominate in the running game week to week. Also I think our DL in the last season or two has been less than consistent. Also, I was referring to how LSU manhandled A&M in the last cotton bowl and Oregon this season. And, to some lesser extent Auburn's DL took control of the last title game as it wore on.

FaninAma
1/7/2012, 03:01 PM
Personally if we could just Bob to recruit 4 to 6 more players a year and cull the non-producers I think we would be right there with Coach Karl Childers and the Little Napolean of the South.

I am being sarcastic and I think this is an assinine way to win at the expense of the young people playing for your program.

MamaMia
1/7/2012, 05:18 PM
We have had our chances. Until we think of some possible preventative measures to stay healthy, or have a good enough of a back up team to step in when a star player, or two, or four goes down, we wont make it to another BCS Bowl game, and there certainly will not be any National Championship game in the near future.

sooneredaco
1/7/2012, 05:31 PM
We have had our chances. Until we think of some possible preventative measures to stay healthy, or have a good enough of a back up team to step in when a star player, or two, or four goes down, we wont make it to another BCS Bowl game, and there certainly will not be any National Championship game in the near future.

Do you seriously believe that we won't make it to another BCS bowl? We've been to a BCS bowl more often than not. I really think we'll be back on top soon, really soon

OUmillenium
1/7/2012, 05:31 PM
Yes^

Also, I agree that we really really missed Demarco in the 08 FL game. He plays, we win.

MamaMia
1/7/2012, 09:22 PM
Do you seriously believe that we won't make it to another BCS bowl? We've been to a BCS bowl more often than not. I really think we'll be back on top soon, really soonDo you seriously believe that we have the capability to win a National Championship without staying healthy, and/or insure that we have an excellent back up team that can step in and win when our star players get injured?

picasso
1/7/2012, 09:35 PM
What possible preventative injury measure could we make? Maybe play them every other game?
If you want to shut Billy Bob up just yell "Klan meeting!"

Blue
1/7/2012, 09:38 PM
What time? ;)

picasso
1/7/2012, 09:40 PM
What time? ;)
Soon as Cletus closes the butcher shop.

soonerloyal
1/7/2012, 09:45 PM
I'm disenchanted with Schmitty at this point. I believe what he does with the players goes overboard and leaves them ripe for injuries. While I admire his tough workout ethic, the actual workout's effects on the players' physical health seems to be detrimental. These young athletes' bodies are still in development and being pushed past the limits on a regular basis can leave them injury-prone not just the rest of their careers, but their lives as well. It's possible to push them to top physical condition without hobbling and breaking them.

Maybe Schmitty needs to transfer to the SEC and see how they do with his regiment. Not that I'm wishing injuries to those guys either. Just a bit bitter.

sooneredaco
1/7/2012, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=picasso;3437678If you want to shut Billy Bob up just yell "Klan meeting!"[/QUOTE]

I laughed so hard I spit wine up!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/7/2012, 10:35 PM
Yes^

Also, I agree that we really really missed Demarco in the 08 FL game. He plays, we win.

If the refs call pass interference like they should have on our first pass from Sam we win. Just like the mugging we took at the Sugar Bowl.

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 11:42 PM
I'm disenchanted with Schmitty at this point. I believe what he does with the players goes overboard and leaves them ripe for injuries. While I admire his tough workout ethic, the actual workout's effects on the players' physical health seems to be detrimental. These young athletes' bodies are still in development and being pushed past the limits on a regular basis can leave them injury-prone not just the rest of their careers, but their lives as well. It's possible to push them to top physical condition without hobbling and breaking them.

Maybe Schmitty needs to transfer to the SEC and see how they do with his regiment. Not that I'm wishing injuries to those guys either. Just a bit bitter.

He's probably secretly doing it to get even with Bob for running Nebraska out of Div1A into Div1AA Big Tin Conference.

I heard this on twitter today. :D

picasso
1/7/2012, 11:55 PM

I know a former player who would agree with you on this. He hired a trainer to workout in the off season and his trainer said OU was worn out before they even played USC in '04. Just sayin'.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 12:07 AM
I don't know how many times I've been to OU's weight room and it looked like a surgical unit. Don't those places usually start to show wear when they are being used to that kind of extent?

Just saying....

Maybe the one they really use in in Everett Training Center? Lloyd Noble?

http://a.espncdn.com/media/ncf/2006/0223/photo/weight_gym_275.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/genrel/auto_wide/1592527.jpeg

this one is a bit to big to post....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pU8QUDyILJo/TST7PoIj6oI/AAAAAAAAAtI/wwIFezz3Efg/s1600/Photo0853.jpg

picasso
1/8/2012, 12:10 AM
I'm not saying I agree but this former player (never a starter) basically said the workout program simply wore players out.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 12:18 AM
I remember how Jerry worked AD so hard it snapped his collarbone.

http://cbskmvq.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/adrian-peterson-02_.jpg?w=600

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 12:31 AM
DeMarco was seriously over trained too.....lol

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/0228/fan_a_murray_200.jpg

I guess what I'm getting at is that it might be possible some guys don't do well on Jerry's Program but I really think all this is boiling down to many Fans just trying to lay blame somewhere when it just might be that the answer as far as blame might just be 0.001111% of each and everything that everyone is bitching about and the solutions all are drastic.

Maybe it's just that it's just a few minute things that only add up to the three losses.

There is so much searching and speculation when we have one of the best damn Football Programs in the Country along with one of the best damn Coaching Staffs.

I hate seeing folks bag on players or Coaches......but it sure seems like we can all agree that both made some mistakes throughout the year and it all added up to a 10-3 Season.

sooneron
1/9/2012, 03:43 PM
I don't know how many times I've been to OU's weight room and it looked like a surgical unit. Don't those places usually start to show wear when they are being used to that kind of extent?

Just saying....

Maybe the one they really use in in Everett Training Center? Lloyd Noble?

I took the Merv guided tour back in 06 and it seemed that they used the one in Everest a lot. It had much more wear and tear and there were some guys in there and none in the Switzer Ctr room.

sooneredaco
1/10/2012, 11:43 AM
Next year... I think next year the evil empire will be dethroned

Sooners78
1/10/2012, 12:38 PM
This. Titles are won by OL and DL. We've had some great OLs in the past and some very good DLs. Hopefully some teams have or will invest a few years of recruiting and coaching to focus on depth at DL and OT. Once that happens the SEC will have some solid challengers.

This. A dominant line on both sides of the ball is the one constant for all 6 of the SEC national champions during the last 6 years. Dominant OL is where the run game starts. QB just needs to be a good manager of the game, not an NFL type QB. Look at Heupel? With his decision making ability along with the talent around him, he would have led either of those teams last night to victory. DL dictates the entire defense. If it is dominant, the secondary can be just good but look great. Until we make this our focus, we won't get #8.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 12:56 PM

FWIW: I'm acquainted with, friends prolly being a stretch, a S&C coach in the SEC and he is definitely not a Schmitty fan.

Sooners78
1/10/2012, 01:00 PM
FWIW: I'm acquainted with, friends prolly being a stretch, a S&C coach in the SEC and he is definitely not a Schmitty fan.

Elaborate please.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 01:13 PM
Elaborate please.

I haven't talked to him in a good while. I was able to do it during the summers, and a job change has gotten in the way of that. At the time he wouldn't really elaborate, beyond saying he is a fan of OU, his favorite team in fact except for his employer, and that he didn't see eye to eye with Schmitty on some of Schmitty's methods. I do think at least some of it, maybe even a large degree of it and I'm kinda guessing here, was related to overtraining, and our propensity to bulk players up sometimes at the expense of speed, agility, and flexibility.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 01:25 PM
I haven't talked to him in a good while. I was able to do it during the summers, and a job change has gotten in the way of that. At the time he wouldn't really elaborate, beyond saying he is a fan of OU, his favorite team in fact except for his employer, and that he didn't see eye to eye with Schmitty on some of Schmitty's methods. I do think at least some of it, maybe even a large degree of it and I'm kinda guessing here, was related to overtraining, and our propensity to bulk players up sometimes at the expense of speed, agility, and flexibility.

HEH. Maybe if Bob explains it to you all....you'll except that he does know what the hell he's doing. It's why he's HC.

Take Oklahoma (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Oklahoma+Sooners+%28Football%29&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) strength coach Jerry Schmidt (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Jerry+Schmidt&CATEGORY=PERSON), who just happened to be Stoops' first hire after taking the job in 1999.
In recent years, some players — not all, or even a majority — have whined about Schmitty's workout regimen. They've said it's too difficult, too demanding — too much, basically.
That got an eye roll from Stoops when we asked him about it the day after the Insight Bowl (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Insight+Bowl&CATEGORY=MISC). He classified whatever displeasure there has been as a matter of kids changing, becoming more entitled and therefore wanting to create their own set of rules.
“We've had walk-ons that earned scholarships and won national championships,” Stoops said. “Now each guy is going to come in and tell you to level the time they're going to make, or what we're going to do?”
Stoops' face was turning red. Old Testament (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Old+Testament&CATEGORY=MISC) Bob, I've heard it called in recent weeks.
“I'm not going to have a bunch of guys every year that are going to come in with their idea of what things ought to be,” he said. “They can do to that some other place.”
In Stoops' mind, you let the students make the rules, you wind up with a broken system — and then you, yourself, are out looking for another job. The players should adhere to your standard, not set their own.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-bob-stoops-loves-to-win-but-its-not-life-and-death/article/3638715#ixzz1j4PjGyca

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 01:31 PM
I understand your man-love for all things Bob ST, and it's really kinda cute... And Stoops rolling his eyes at what a buncha kids said - there's a shocker, glad you posted that.

But seriously, I don't care what a buncha entitled athletes say - I get that. I'm just pointing out that perhaps where there's smoke there's fire, and not everyone is as big a fan of Schmitty as Stoops, and thus by extension you.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 01:36 PM
There's a far cry from being a fan and listening to folks spew about Smitty being at fault for these injuries. You obviously read the quote I posted but not the article....which is par for the course in most of these issues folks bring up as to why we lost three games or why Dom broke his ankle or why Ryan blew his knee out....

badger
1/10/2012, 01:37 PM
“I'm not going to have a bunch of guys every year that are going to come in with their idea of what things ought to be,” he said. “They can do to that some other place.”

I think all aspects of college have to put up with young naive college students ideas and expectations to some degree... and it usually involves something that costs something or something that you have to work for to be free to handed to them.

- Thinking college tuition should be free
- Thinking student tickets to athletic and other university events should be free
- Thinking textbooks and other class material should be free
- Thinking exams should be easier by excluding certain material, certain types of questions, or graded on a curve
- Thinking classroom attendance should not be mandatory and/or should not impact a student's final grade
- Thinking class work should be easier, such as shorter term papers, less required reading, fewer assignments.

Who should pay for the free stuff for students? Someone else. How do you expect to learn with lower expectations for exams and coursework? Who cares.

Long post short, it's a student thing, not a student-athlete thing. I whole heartedly support higher expectations and standards.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 01:43 PM
There's a far cry from being a fan and listening to folks spew about Smitty being at fault for these injuries. You obviously read the quote I posted but not the article....which is par for the course in most of these issues folks bring up as to why we lost three games or why Dom broke his ankle or why Ryan blew his knee out....

Naw read em both actually, and I don't know enough about how we train to know if Schmitty is to any degree at fault or not. And while I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about athletic training, I don't profess to know as much about it as Schmitty - just pointing out he does have his critics, and not all of em are just regular old Joes, or butt-hurt players, either current or past.

OK_BRED
1/10/2012, 01:47 PM
Everyone claims the media loves the SEC, but we did just get rated #5 by ESPN for next season. After our season, someone is giving OU some love.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7440553/college-football-way-too-early-2012-top-25

The SEC still rules the college football world, with Alabama winning the league's sixth consecutive BCS national championship at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Monday night with a 21-0 victory over LSU.

However, with seven starters coming back on offense and defense, it's the Tigers who figure to be the team to beat in 2012. LSU will have to find a new quarterback but their running game should be stout and their defense menacing.

Four SEC teams are ranked in the top 10 of the first edition of the 2012 Way-Too-Early Top 25: No. 1 LSU, No. 3 Alabama, No. 6 Georgia and No. 10 South Carolina.

The SEC's stiffest competition in 2012 might come from the Pac-12 or Big 12. The Pac-12 has two teams ranked in the top four -- No. 2 USC and No. 4 Oregon -- and the Big 12 has six teams in the top 25 (if we're including No. 7 West Virginia).

With more than seven months before the start of the 2012 season, the teams and their order figure to change frequently, but it's never too early to take a look at the Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2012:

1. LSU Tigers:
Believe it or not, the Tigers might be even stronger in 2012 than they were in 2011. LSU might bring back seven starters on both offense and defense, although junior cornerback Morris Claiborne is considering entering the NFL draft. The Tigers will have to find a new quarterback with both Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee leaving. Georgia transfer Zach Mettenberger and incoming freshman Gunner Kiel will be the top candidates to start under center next season. Linebackers Stefoin Francois and Ryan Baker will have to be replaced, but six defensive starters and five top backups were freshmen or sophomores in 2011. After playing Pac-12 champion Oregon and Big East champ West Virginia this past season, LSU has a 2012 schedule that doesn't look nearly as daunting. The Tigers will play eight home games and they'll play at SEC West foes Texas A&M and Arkansas.

2. USC Trojans:
Quarterback Matt Barkley's surprising decision to return to USC for his senior season puts the Trojans right in the thick of the BCS title race. USC is expected to bring back nine starters on both offense and defense, although replacing All-American offensive tackle Matt Kalil won't be easy. USC is expected to return its leading rusher, top three receivers, four starting offensive linemen and five of its top six tacklers. That's a recipe for success. The Trojans were one of the country's younger teams this past season with 10 freshmen and sophomores starting. The Trojans will play six home games and six road games in 2012, including a Sept. 15 road trip to Stanford and Nov. 3 home game against Oregon. Most importantly, USC will be eligible to play in the postseason, after NCAA sanctions prevented the Trojans from playing in bowl games each of the past two seasons.

3. Alabama Crimson Tide:
After winning the BCS national championship on Monday night, the Crimson Tide figure to take a step back in 2012. But with the way coach Nick Saban and his staff have recruited, it's hard to imagine Alabama slipping too far. The Tide might lose as many as seven starters on offense (if junior tailback Trent Richardson enters the NFL draft, as expected) and as many as seven on defense (if junior linebacker Dont'a Hightower and junior cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick go pro). The good news: All-American offensive tackle Barrett Jones already said he's coming back to school, and quarterback AJ McCarron was only a sophomore this past season. The Tide open the 2012 season against Michigan in Arlington, Texas, on Sept. 1 and play only four true road games, including trips to Arkansas on Sept. 15 and at LSU on Nov. 3.

4. Oregon Ducks:
Oregon, a three-time defending Pac-12 champion, should be an overwhelming favorite to win the Pac-12 North again. But the Ducks might have to beat the Trojans twice in 2012 to win the conference, first at USC on Nov. 3 and again in the Pac-12 championship game. The Ducks are expected to bring back six starters on both offense and defense. All-time leading rusher LaMichael James already has announced he's leaving to enter the NFL draft as a junior, but speedy De'Anthony Thomas and Kenjon Barner will form a potent tailback duo. Quarterback Darron Thomas should be even better as a senior, and Oregon's defense was much improved after rebuilding prior to the 2011 season. Oregon will play a soft nonconference schedule (home games against Arkansas State, Fresno State and FCS foe Tennessee Tech) and five of its first six games will be played at Autzen Stadium.

5. Oklahoma Sooners:
The Sooners fell short of their lofty No. 1 preseason ranking, but a 10-3 finish wasn't bad, especially after OU lost its leading rusher and top receiver to season-ending injuries. Quarterback Landry Jones' decision to return means OU will have one of the country's most explosive offenses, even without all-time leading receiver Ryan Broyles. Four starting offensive linemen are expected back, as well as young receivers Kenny Stills and Jaz Reynolds. Top tailback Dominique Whaley is also coming back from a broken ankle. There are a couple of key pieces to replace on defense -- ends Frank Alexander and Ronnell Lewis and linebacker Travis Lewis. OU's schedule for 2012 hasn't been finalized, but it figures to be more difficult with TCU and possibly West Virginia (if the Mountaineers can leave the Big East) joining the Big 12. The only finalized game to date is an Oct. 27 home contest against Notre Dame.

6. Georgia Bulldogs:
Georgia struggled to run the ball and close out games this past season, but it rebounded nicely from a 6-7 finish in 2010 to go 10-4 in 2011. Georgia's defense and its schedule are the biggest reasons it will be favored to win the SEC East in 2012. Georgia is expected to bring back 10 starters on defense, with only cornerback Brandon Boykin expected to depart. The Bulldogs have a lot of firepower coming back on offense, including quarterback Aaron Murray and receiver Malcolm Mitchell. The biggest concerns are whether tailback Isaiah Crowell will be more dependable and durable as a sophomore (or whether an incoming freshman like speedy Keith Marshall can provide immediate help), as well as replacing three starters on the offensive line. UGA's special teams also continue to be trouble spots and it loses punter Drew Butler and kicker Blair Walsh. Georgia doesn't play SEC West heavyweights Alabama, LSU or Arkansas in the regular season for the second straight year and it plays four of its first five games at home.

7. West Virginia Mountaineers:
WVU fans finally saw a glimpse of how explosive coach Dana Holgorsen's spread offense can be in the Mountaineers' 70-33 rout of Clemson in the Discover Orange Bowl. Holgorsen's first season has to be considered a roaring success after a 10-3 finish, but the Mountaineers might have just scratched the surface with his high-powered offense. Quarterback Geno Smith is coming back for his senior season in 2012, along with eight other offensive starters, including leading rusher Dustin Garrison and top receivers Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. The Mountaineers will have to replace four starters on defense and might lose coordinator Jeff Casteel, who is considering taking a job on Rich Rodriguez's staff at Arizona. West Virginia's schedule for 2012 is undetermined because it's trying to leave the Big East for the Big 12, a decision that might be finalized in court.

8. Florida State Seminoles:
We're taking the bait on the Seminoles again, even after they failed to live up to very high aspirations with a 9-4 finish in 2011. But FSU's lofty preseason billing might have been a year premature and injuries plagued the Seminoles throughout the season. FSU's defense is as good as advertised and it might be even better in 2012 with nine starters coming back. Defensive end Brandon Jenkins and cornerback Greg Reid both passed up entering the NFL draft to return to school. If FSU is going to become a legitimate BCS contender, though, its offense has to be better and more explosive. The Seminoles had young skill players in 2011 and they started four freshman offensive linemen against Notre Dame in the Champs Sports Bowl. Another concern will be replacing All-American punter Shawn Powell. FSU plays seven home games, but will travel to Virginia Tech during ACC play.

9. Michigan State Spartans:
The Spartans continue to make tremendous strides under coach Mark Dantonio, winning 11 games for the second straight season. The Spartans also won a Big Ten Legends Division title and their first bowl game in his tenure, 33-30 over Georgia in the Outback Bowl. MSU will rely on its defense and running game in 2012, with quarterback Kirk Cousins and his top four receivers departing. Tailback Le'Veon Bell is expected back, along with four starting offensive linemen. All-Big Ten defensive tackle Jerel Worthy is leaving for the NFL draft, but eight defensive starters are expected to return. The Spartans play nonconference home games against Boise State on Aug. 31 and Notre Dame on Sept. 15 and they'll have to play perhaps the two best teams from the Leaders Division (against Ohio State at home on Sept. 29 and at Wisconsin on Oct. 27).

10. South Carolina Gamecocks:
In the past two seasons, coach Steve Spurrier guided the Gamecocks to their first SEC East title in 2010 and their first 11-win season in 2011. If South Carolina can rebuild its defense in 2012, it figures to be right back in the SEC East title hunt. The Gamecocks will bring back eight starters on offense, including tailback Marcus Lattimore, who missed much of the season with a knee injury. Quarterback Connor Shaw should be better after having an entire offseason as the team's starter, and the offseason should be more pleasant without former quarterback Stephen Garcia's distractions. Top receiver Alshon Jeffery declared for the NFL draft, along with junior cornerback Stephon Gilmore. The Gamecocks will have to replace four other defensive starters, including top lineman Travian Robertson and Melvin Ingram. Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson left to become the coach at Southern Miss. South Carolina plays seven home games, including an Oct. 6 contest against Georgia and Nov. 10 game against Arkansas. The Gamecocks will play road games at LSU on Oct. 13 and at Florida on Oct. 20.

11. Michigan Wolverines: Brady Hoke might not have been Michigan's first choice to replace Rich Rodriguez as coach, but he turned out to be the right one. In his first season, Hoke guided the Wolverines to their first 11-win season since 2006, defeating Virginia Tech 23-20 in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. Just as important, Hoke ended UM's seven-game losing streak against rival Ohio State, defeating the Buckeyes 40-34 in the regular-season finale. The Wolverines will have to replace several key linemen -- center David Molk, offensive tackle Mark Huyge and defensive tackles Mike Martin and Will Heininger -- but most of their key skill players are coming back. Quarterback Denard Robinson made good strides in offensive coordinator Al Borges' balanced attack, and defensive coordinator Greg Mattison rebuilt one of the country's worst defenses from 2010. Michigan opens the season against Alabama in Arlington, Texas, and plays road games at Notre Dame, Nebraska and Ohio State.

12. Kansas State Wildcats: Bill Snyder, 72, continued to work his magic at Kansas State, guiding the Wildcats to a surprising 10-2 finish. Even a 29-16 loss to Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl couldn't tarnish KSU's return to national prominence. With quarterback Collin Klein and linebacker Arthur Brown coming back in 2012, the Wildcats might be among the Big 12 favorites, along with Oklahoma and West Virginia (if the Mountaineers leave the Big East). Klein will enter next season as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate, after totaling more than 3,000 yards of total offense and scoring 40 touchdowns. Top tailback John Hubert and receiver Chris Harper are also coming back, but three starting offensive linemen will have to be replaced. Five starters are also leaving on defense.

13. Nebraska Cornhuskers: Nebraska fans are starting to get a little impatient with coach Bo Pelini, whose teams lost four games in each of his first four seasons. The Cornhuskers went 9-4 in their first season in the Big Ten in 2011, losing to South Carolina 30-13 in the Capital One Bowl. Nebraska probably won't get better quickly unless quarterback Taylor Martinez becomes a more efficient passer. Nebraska brings back top tailback Rex Burkhead, but it will have to replace three starting offensive linemen. Eight defensive starters are coming back, but the Cornhuskers will miss star linebacker Lavonte David. Nebraska will play road games at UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa and it plays Wisconsin and Michigan at home.

14. Arkansas Razorbacks: The Hogs have made major strides under coach Bobby Petrino, finishing 11-2 and defeating Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl. But the Razorbacks have been unable to get past SEC West heavyweights Alabama and LSU, which has prevented them from becoming a legitimate BCS title contender. The Hogs are expected to bring back seven starters on offense and six on defense, but they'll lose a lot of star power. Receivers Joe Adams, Jarius Wright and Greg Childs are leaving on offense, along with guard Grant Cook and tackle Grant Freeman. Defensive end Jake Bequette, linebacker Jerry Franklin and safety Tramain Thomas are big losses on defense. The defense looked better under new coordinator Paul Haynes in the Cotton Bowl. The best news for 2012: Arkansas plays both Alabama and LSU at home.

15.TCU Horned Frogs: The Horned Frogs are making the jump from the Mountain West to the Big 12 in 2012. TCU has won 11 games or more in seven of the last nine seasons, after finishing 11-2 this past season. TCU will take an eight-game winning streak into the Big 12, after finishing 7-0 against MWC foes in its last season in the league. TCU brings back much of its firepower on offense, with quarterback Casey Pachall, tailbacks Waymon James and Ed Wesley, and receivers Josh Boyce and Skye Dawson coming back. Three starting offensive linemen will have to be replaced, along with star linebacker Tank Carder on defense. TCU's schedule in the Big 12 hasn't yet been finalized, but it's scheduled to play nonconference games against FCS foe Grambling State (home), Virginia (home) and SMU (road).

OK_BRED
1/10/2012, 01:48 PM
16. Oklahoma State Cowboys: All the Pokes did the past two seasons was win 23 games and the school's first conference title since 1976. If OSU coach Mike Gundy is going to keep his program near the top of the Big 12, he's going to have to replace record-setting quarterback Brandon Weeden and receiver Justin Blackmon, who are both leaving. Rising junior Clint Chelf, redshirt freshman J.W. Walsh and incoming freshman West Lunt (who already has enrolled at OSU) will battle for the starting quarterback job this spring. The Pokes also must replace starting left tackle Levy Adcock and two other starting offensive linemen. Eight starters are expected back on defense, but safety Markelle Martin is a big loss. Most of OSU's 2012 schedule hasn't been finished, other than a road game at Arizona and home game against Louisiana-Lafayette.

17. Stanford Cardinal: There's no question that Stanford won't be as good without quarterback Andrew Luck, who is expected to be the No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft. But there were doubts the Cardinal would survive without former coach Jim Harbaugh, and first-year coach David Shaw guided them to an 11-2 record and BCS bowl game. Brett Nottingham has the inside track at replacing Luck, and he'll get plenty of help from playmakers like tailback Stepfan Taylor and receiver Ty Montgomery. Tackle Jonathan Martin and guard David DeCastro are big losses on the offensive line. The defense should be pretty good again, especially if linebacker Chase Thomas comes back for his senior season and linebacker Shayne Skov comes back strong from a knee injury. The Cardinal host USC on Sept. 15 and play at Oregon on Nov. 17.

18. Virginia Tech Hokies: If there's one thing you can count on every season it's that Virginia Tech will win at least 10 games and be in contention in the ACC title race. With a new quarterback and revamped defense, the Hokies went 11-3 in 2011. Virginia Tech will have to rebuild its offense to do it again in 2012. Quarterback Logan Thomas will be back for his second season as a starter, but the Hokies won't have record-setting tailback David Wilson, who is leaving for the NFL draft as a junior. They're also losing four starting offensive linemen and top receivers Jarrett Boykin and Danny Coale. The good news is as many as nine starters might be back on defense -- if junior cornerback Jayron Hosley comes back. The Hokies play nonconference games at Pittsburgh and against Cincinnati at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., and also play ACC road games at Miami, North Carolina and Clemson.

19. Wisconsin Badgers: The Badgers are the two-time defending Big Ten champions and they've won 10 games or more in three straight seasons under coach Bret Bielema. But the Badgers face as much upheaval as any team in the country. After falling in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Vizio for the second season in a row, Wisconsin is losing 11 starters and five assistant coaches. Quarterback Russell Wilson, receiver Nick Toon and three starting offensive linemen are departing. Offensive coordinator Paul Chryst left to become Pittsburgh's new coach and took three Badgers assistants with him. Receivers coach DelVaughn Alexander also left for Arizona State. The good news is tailback Montee Ball, who ran for 1,923 yards and scored 39 total touchdowns in 2011, decided to return to school for one more season.

20. Boise State Broncos: The Broncos are 73-6 in coach Chris Petersen's six seasons and will probably finish in the top 10 for the third straight year. But the Broncos will face more uncertainty than ever before under Petersen during the 2012 season, their last campaign in the Mountain West before moving to the Big East in 2013. Not only is Boise State losing star Kellen Moore, the winningest quarterback in NCAA history, but also top tailback Doug Martin and receiver Tyler Shoemaker. The Broncos also will lose all four starting defensive linemen, linebacker Byron Hout and two starting defensive backs. Rising junior Joe Southwick will be the favorite to replace Moore, but he'll get competition from rising sophomore Grant Hedrick and incoming freshman Nick Patti.

21. Texas Longhorns: After a head-scratching 5-7 finish in 2010, the Longhorns made improvement this past season, finishing 8-5 and defeating California 21-10 in the Bridgeport Education Holiday Bowl. While the defense made big strides under first-year coordinator Manny Diaz, the UT offense continued to sputter because of poor quarterback play. David Ash will have the edge entering spring practice, but he'll continue to be pushed by Case McCoy. The running game should be better if tailbacks Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron can stay healthy, and incoming freshman Johnathan Gray might provide immediate help. The Horns will have to replace linebackers Keenan Robinson and Emmanuel Acho, as well as defensive tackle Kheeston Randall. Texas' Big 12 schedule isn't finalized, but it will play nonconference games against Wyoming (home), New Mexico (home) and Ole Miss (road).

22. Clemson Tigers: Tigers coach Dabo Swinney can only hope his team uses its embarrassing loss in the Orange Bowl as motivation during the offseason. Clemson won an ACC title and started 8-0, but a 2-4 slump down the stretch left some serious concerns. Quarterback Tajh Boyd should be better in his second season running offensive coordinator Chad Morris' high-octane attack. Tailback Andre Ellington is considering jumping to the NFL draft, and junior tight end Dwayne Allen has already decided to turn pro. The Tigers must also replace four starting offensive linemen and there isn't a lot of depth in the trenches. Five starters must be replaced on defense, including top linebacker Andre Branch. The Tigers will open the season against Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game and play ACC foes Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech at home.

23. Notre Dame Fighting Irish: The jury still seems to be out on whether coach Brian Kelly can return the Fighting Irish to national prominence. There's no question the Irish are a better defensive team under Kelly, but the offense continues to struggle because of turnovers and poor quarterback play. Kelly will again oversee a quarterback battle during the offseason, with Tommy Rees, Andrew Hendrix and Everett Golson battling for the starting job. They'll be without star receiver Michael Floyd, but tight end Tyler Eifert decided to come back for one more season. The defense should continue to improve as young linemen like Aaron Lynch and Stephon Tuitt get stronger. Notre Dame's schedule in 2012 is daunting, with nine games against teams that played in bowl games, including road contests at Michigan State, Oklahoma and USC.

24. NC State Wolfpack: After a 2-3 start, in which Wolfpack coach Tom O'Brien was criticized for turning quarterback Russell Wilson loose, NC State rallied to win six of its last eight games, including a 31-24 victory over Louisville in the Belk Bowl. Quarterback Mike Glennon ended up being a more-than-capable replacement for Wilson, throwing for 3,054 yards with 31 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He'll be without three of his top four receivers in 2012, with wideouts T.J. Graham and Jay Smith and tight end George Bryan each departing. Seven defensive starters are expected back, but the Pack will have to rebuild its defensive line and linebacker corps. The secondary should return intact, including ball-hawking cornerback David Amerson. NC State opens the '12 season against Tennessee in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game and also plays nonconference games against Connecticut (road) and FCS foes South Alabama (home) and The Citadel (home).

25. Louisville Cardinals: Coach Charlie Strong has done a nice job of rebuilding the Cardinals, guiding them to back-to-back bowl games and a share of a Big East title in 2011. Louisville finished 7-6 this past season, despite having one of the youngest teams in the country. The Cardinals started 12 freshmen or sophomores and 11 true freshmen started at least one game in 2011. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, tailback Dominique Brown and receiver DeVante Parker give the Cards a nice foundation on offense, and their defense should get better as a young secondary matures. Louisville's Big East schedule hasn't yet been released, but it will play nonconference games against Kentucky (home), FCS foe Missouri State (home), North Carolina (home) and Florida International (road) in 2012.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 01:52 PM
I think all aspects of college have to put up with young naive college students ideas and expectations to some degree... and it usually involves something that costs something or something that you have to work for to be free to handed to them.

- Thinking college tuition should be free
- Thinking student tickets to athletic and other university events should be free
- Thinking textbooks and other class material should be free
- Thinking exams should be easier by excluding certain material, certain types of questions, or graded on a curve
- Thinking classroom attendance should not be mandatory and/or should not impact a student's final grade
- Thinking class work should be easier, such as shorter term papers, less required reading, fewer assignments.

Who should pay for the free stuff for students? Someone else. How do you expect to learn with lower expectations for exams and coursework? Who cares.

Long post short, it's a student thing, not a student-athlete thing. I whole heartedly support higher expectations and standards.

There are plenty of topics that have been mentioned on this board that came up in that story. It's indeed unfortunate that we can't just get Bob to sit down and talk about Fans and where they get their ideas from.

Like Curly's "I know a guy that I haven't talked to in years" friend. I'm sure he's probably good at what he does but CB hasn't even spoke with him in awhile and wants to try and discredit our Strength and Conditioning Coach?

That's maybe worse than Player bashing in my book. As a fan....you can have an opinion but when you try to go against what the Head Coach thinks is best for the program....you end up looking like some sort of curmudgeon IMO. There is room for Curmudgeons, dickwheels and the like and it's funny that the only attack on me is that I like the current HC.

jkjsooner
1/10/2012, 01:54 PM

I've got no dog in this hunt but you can't seriously be using the state of our training facility as evidence to support your stance. Really? My apologies if this statement was a psuedo joke.

I'll point out that even if our players are overtrained, the man hours used on a facility that size is probably well below any gym that you or I have attended. The number of patrons has to be orders of magnitude lower. In addition, considering the facilities play a crucial role in the recruiting process, I'm sure they pour a lot more money into keeping the facility and equipment in pristine condition than your average gym. As a third point, I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in wear and tear on the equipment if our players were overtrained.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 01:57 PM
Naw read em both actually, and I don't know enough about how we train to know if Schmitty is to any degree at fault or not. And while I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about athletic training, I don't profess to know as much about it as Schmitty - just pointing out he does have his critics, and not all of em are just regular old Joes, or butt-hurt players, either current or past.

You and Mama were both trying to put these injuries on Smitty and dis-credit him. So what they have critics? Bob has critics. I just don't see why someone would logon at a place called SoonerFans and spend a good amount of time trying to find blame on the Coaches via some expert you haven't spoken with for some time? That's silly Bill.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 02:18 PM
You and Mama were both trying to put these injuries on Smitty and dis-credit him. So what they have critics? Bob has critics. I just don't see why someone would logon at a place called SoonerFans and spend a good amount of time trying to find blame on the Coaches via some expert you haven't spoken with for some time? That's silly Bill.

It's a message board in case you forgot - not just a place to come express your love for all things OU coaches.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 02:21 PM
...and sorry ST my fandom goes beyond mere blind faith. I got nothing against you guys that operate as a fan on just that, but it's never been me.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 02:47 PM
It's a message board in case you forgot - not just a place to come express your love for all things OU coaches.

I'm glad you reminded yourself of that. It's why you get opposing posts....especially if you sprinkle fairy dust on a Coach and expect him to suddenly disappear.

Thing is...the article explains that you have a Head Coach that stands on principles and you after 10-12 years suddenly expect him to change? It's not gonna happen unless you change the HC. Now....that's why you get a bit of gruff from me. There is little to prove we need a change in HC and since the article clearly explains that Bob isn't a guy that messes with what he thinks is working....He believes in improving on what he has..., You and many others are going to continue to be very disappointed until Bob does bring Home another Crystal Ball. Until then....I expect we will continue to hear many of you cry and whine but when it gets down to it.....if you don't like Smitty....you better have something better that I know a guy that is one of Smitty's peers and he isn't much of a Fan of Smitty's although he does love the Sooners.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 02:51 PM
Ain't nobody arguing that Bob is going to change anything - he's loyal to a fault, though maybe this Martinez for Mike thing is gonna happen?? But some of us don't accept things are perfect just because Bob thinks they are, or because he's too loyal to make changes that many feel should be made. But like you guys say: he knows better than us right?

Anyway, unless Dean or Phil gets fed up, at least we have a place to come and raise hell about what we'd like to see done.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 03:02 PM
Anyway, unless Dean or Phil gets fed up, at least we have a place to come and raise hell about what we'd like to see done.

I guess that's my issue with you on Smitty. What exactly is he doing wrong?

I haven't heard anyone address the particulars. Too much medicine ball? To many reps on the weights? To many bleachers?

I hear you saying I know a guy and he doesn't agree with the philosophy.....What the hell does that mean?

Again....these things are almost worse than rumors. At least we can dispel rumors by asking stuff like "Is Willie gone yet? Has anyone seen him loading up a U-Haul? Getting on a plane?"

This stuff is completely without teeth. It's rumors that come from twitter feed from guys that are upset their career is over or leaving for another School and unhappy their room mate didn't go with them maybe....

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 03:04 PM
Remember Sunday Night? "MIKE STOOPS!" We were supposedly getting ready to hear Bob proclaim that Mike was coming to save the day. It's Tuesday afternoon now....

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 03:15 PM
I don't know if Mike is coming back to OU or not..? I don't know if he does if that's the answer to our longstanding defensive woes or not? But I'm pretty sure it can't hurt.

I don't know enough about OU's workouts to comment on them..other than to point out not everyone agrees with Schmitty's methods, including at least one person who's very knowledgeable about the subject, and yeah it was two summers ago I last spoke to him about it. In the past I was critical because I felt we were bulking players up to the point they were losing speed, agility and flexibility. I'm no longer convinced that's still an issue - maybe Schmitty changed something, or maybe my perception was wrong in the first place??

I just think it's fair to come on here and question our methods. OU's coaches are highly paid, and I think most of them consider themselves to be full-grown men. We've also failed to live up to expectations lately, so I think it's all quite fair to wonder why that's the case??

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 03:28 PM
I just think it's fair to come on here and question our methods. OU's coaches are highly paid, and I think most of them consider themselves to be full-grown men. We've also failed to live up to expectations lately, so I think it's all quite fair to wonder why that's the case??

Now...we are finally getting somewhere....

That's my point and I think it's the point of the article.

Jerry has changed things up from what I hear. Matter of fact...from what I know....it's one of his beliefs. Having kids do repetitive workouts doesn't get great results and more isn't always better. Different is better and working the muscles you use in the game is key but working others is also key. When he came here he was cutting edge. Now that he's been here awhile folks think he's been doing the same workouts he was when he came here in 1999? More than likely he's been changing it up and that's what's got some folks wondering if he knows what's going on. I believe he like Stoops have their own philosophy and even if folks want to complain.....they know little of what they are talking about. Like Bob kind of alluded....these kids don't like the workouts. They want to do what they learned in camp or what they learned in HS. What they need to understand is if you come to OU....Bob has hired Smitty to get you in shape to play at OU.....if you don't like it here....don't let the door hit you in the ***.

I really like that....I've always believed it true and if you aren't happy where you are....you should get up out of the chair and move on.

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 03:33 PM
Now...we are finally getting somewhere....

That's my point and I think it's the point of the article.

Jerry has changed things up from what I hear. Matter of fact...from what I know....it's one of his beliefs. Having kids do repetitive workouts doesn't get great results and more isn't always better. Different is better and working the muscles you use in the game is key but working others is also key. When he came here he was cutting edge. Now that he's been here awhile folks think he's been doing the same workouts he was when he came here in 1999? More than likely he's been changing it up and that's what's got some folks wondering if he knows what's going on. I believe he like Stoops have their own philosophy and even if folks want to complain.....they know little of what they are talking about. Like Bob kind of alluded....these kids don't like the workouts. They want to do what they learned in camp or what they learned in HS. What they need to understand is if you come to OU....Bob has hired Smitty to get you in shape to play at OU.....if you don't like it here....don't let the door hit you in the ***.

I really like that....I've always believed it true and if you aren't happy where you are....you should get up out of the chair and move on.

I totally agree with the bold part, and I would certainly hope he has changed in the years since he's been here. And I know a lot of these highly recruited athletes arrive with a since of entitlement, many are no doubt spoiled, and I'm sure many think what they've always done is the way things should be. I'm not at all sure Schmitty is a major problem, but neither do I just sweep the possibility aside because Bob says so.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2012, 04:14 PM
Over trained?

What?

Is there a point in working out that it becomes to much and physically wears the body down? Yes. I experienced something similar before wrestling State my Senior year of high school. I was one of the tip qualifiers and my coach brought in some past champions to workout with me. I was flat out exhausted even after having the day off before state started.

I don't know the OU workout schedule or whatever, but I do know that if a person is putting on too much muscle then they do expose their bodies to potential injuries. Especially if that workout routine has little to no flexibility training.

I remember Demarco Murray entering into MMA for extra training...if u haven't trained in any of the popular MMA disciplines, most of them implement a lot of flex training to help reduce the risk of injuries.

Like I said, I may not know OUs workouts, but if the stories are true then theyhave too much muscle and not enough flex training!

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 04:43 PM
IF.

I think the funniest thing is if you felt like Jerry wasn't giving you enough flex training....then why not do it yourself? I think that's where this entire blame the Coach for something I knew I needed to do goes into the proverbial crapper for me. It's my body and if I think it's hurting because I need to do more stretching....there's nothing stopping me from taking matters into my own hands.

I think it goes right back into this whole entitlement deal and that Bob and Jerry require "X" amount of workouts and until I see someone with valid proof that they are pushing these guys to hard....I'm gonna continue to call BS.

badger
1/10/2012, 05:13 PM
I think it goes right back into this whole entitlement deal and that Bob and Jerry require "X" amount of workouts and until I see someone with valid proof that they are pushing these guys to hard....I'm gonna continue to call BS.

Troop man, I hate to call you out on this, but there was proof of this during the past offseason that "they" (not Jerry specifically, but the OU coaches collectively) were pushing the guys too hard.

As you may recall... linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6148972) if you don't...

Oklahoma's football team has been required to give players a week off from athletic training during the offseason after reporting a series of secondary NCAA rules violations.

The Sooners reported to the NCAA that four assistant coaches had improperly questioned players about their lack of participation in voluntary offseason workouts, and that some players had been working out more than the allowed eight hours per week.

But, I'm not trying to say that our coaches are pushing players too much or too little here. There was also a well-documented case of a player not being required to push himself too hard because of his current condition. I am of course referring to Jason White:

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2131507)

After his second knee surgery, White had to take days off between practices. But before last season, he was back to working out every day without problems. He then made it through the entire season without injury problems.

So, perhaps some cases where coaches shouldn't be pushing players as much at OU, especially in the case of NCAA rules. But, there's also be public cases of players like Jason White not having to go beyond what he can physically do practice-wise.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 05:29 PM
Troop man, I hate to call you out on this, but there was proof of this during the past offseason that "they" (not Jerry specifically, but the OU coaches collectively) were pushing the guys too hard.

As you may recall... linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6148972) if you don't...

But, I'm not trying to say that our coaches are pushing players too much or too little here. There was also a well-documented case of a player not being required to push himself too hard because of his current condition. I am of course referring to Jason White:

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2131507)

So, perhaps some cases where coaches shouldn't be pushing players as much at OU, especially in the case of NCAA rules. But, there's also be public cases of players like Jason White not having to go beyond what he can physically do practice-wise.

So what's your point? You seem to be saying they do to much and other times they allow others to slack off?

You know....I think Bob answered all of this. He said he's not gonna allow guys to use situations against him to get out of the workouts he and his staff require from them.

Now...if a guy blows a knee out or has someone roll over their ankle and it breaks....obviously the rules regarding those players is going to be relaxed.

I know about all that BS in the links....and it stinks of someone trying to use the NCAA to handle their problems instead of do something about it. You know....if they won't let me do what I want....I'll whistle blow that they are making us do more than we are supposed to do.

Bob has shown he won't put up with idiots when he let Bomar go.

These guys are screwing around with the Coach and IMO the Team by the sound of it.

You can take their side if you want but I think it's apparent that Bob and the Coaching Staff are trying to do exactly what they did when they 1st came here and they are asking these players if they want to win. Many of us who have watched this Team over the last few years have said that our guys aren't like the ones that won the MNC. That they are spoiled and guarded. Now you are gonna play into this whole idea that the Coaches are making these players work to hard as to why they are getting hurt?

It's probably really the other way around.

badger
1/10/2012, 05:47 PM
This is why I started off by saying "I hate to call you on this." You asked for a case, I named one from last offseason, and you got realllllly defensive :D

I already took my side a few thread pages ago --- the coaching side.

My point in bringing that up though was that we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss all arguments against OU coaches here, because there was in fact a recent case of OU being required to give them a week off just last offseason.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2012, 08:02 PM
IF.

I think the funniest thing is if you felt like Jerry wasn't giving you enough flex training....then why not do it yourself? I think that's where this entire blame the Coach for something I knew I needed to do goes into the proverbial crapper for me. It's my body and if I think it's hurting because I need to do more stretching....there's nothing stopping me from taking matters into my own hands.

You are going to call bs on anything because you are in the realm of thinking that you are not wrong or that you know the dealings of the program on a personal basis.

You love acting as if you are never wrong, but who is to say you are correct?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but what I am saying, and you seem too naive to understand it, that with the stories we hear about the S&C training they have at OU it is for bulking up and gaining muscle. And with all the injuries we have been having, which is on average more than most programs, the problem seems to point at the S&C program. Not some kids not wanting to work hard. Injuries don't happen because a kid doesn't want to work hard, those kids don't see the field!

But believe whatever you wish to believe...some fans don't buy the "everything is fine" mindset!