PDA

View Full Version : Willie Martinez to Kansas?

Always_Sooner
1/6/2012, 01:12 PM
OU defensive backs coach Willie Martinez to the Jayhawks?
by jtesooner on Jan 6, 2012 10:17 AM CST in Oklahoma Sooners Football

I know there are a bunch of OU fans out there just waiting for some kind of shoe to drop that allows for Mike Stoops seemingly imminent return to Norman. Well this morning on the Sports Animal out of OKC, Carey Murdock of SoonerScoop may have hinted at the aforementioned 'shoe.'

He said that he wasn't quite ready to report the story, but that he had heard from a couple well placed sources, as he called them, that have told him that Sooners defensive backs coach (and scapegoat to many an OU fan IMO) Willie Martinez could be headed to Lawrence, KS to become the defensive coordinator for Charlie Weis.

If this proves to be true, it would be pretty much the perfect scenario for those clamoring for Mike Stoops to return. Aside from Bob's "never fired an asst. coach" streak staying intact, Mike Stoops was the secondary coach when he was previously on staff at Oklahoma. So Martinez's possible departure would allow the younger Stoops to return to his old spot (and presumably Co-DC with Venables) and not force the OU coaching staff to have to make any other real significant changes.

While I'm not as quick to throw Martinez under the bus as some, I think this could be a win-win type deal for everyone involved. Martinez has experience as a DC, gets to stay in a conference he's familiar with, gets a promotion, gets a chance to run his own defense, and OU fans get Mike Stoops back. Win-win.

We'll obviously just have to wait and see how this thing plays out, but I'd expect this is potentially good (great?) news for those OU fans out there eagerly anticipating Mike's return.

LVSOONER15
1/6/2012, 01:45 PM
How were Arizona' DBs when Mike was there? Just a little curious.

sooneredaco
1/6/2012, 01:45 PM
Let's make this thing happen! It would be sweet of in fact this comes to fruition.

UberSooner
1/6/2012, 01:53 PM
I guess you have to put me in the not super stoked at M. Stoops return camp. The guy's personal life looks to be in turmoil and he just got kicked to the curb professionally. It's not that I don't really feel for the guy but I don't think going back to work for his brother is the best thing for O.U. football. Lot's of potential problems IMHO.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2012, 01:55 PM
Twitter is saying Illinois:

RT @BTNTomDienhart Willie Martinz to Illinios as DC? I hear it may happen. Stay tuned.

mojorisen2014
1/6/2012, 02:29 PM

RT @BTNTomDienhart Willie Martinz to Illinios as DC? I hear it may happen. Stay tuned.

I dont care where he goes i just want him gone. Hands down $hittiest asst coach under stoops ever.

OULenexaman
1/6/2012, 02:38 PM

RT @BTNTomDienhart Willie Martinz to Illinios as DC? I hear it may happen. Stay tuned. HAH!!!! That would make him the 2nd batter up in just a week for that gig.

Boomer.....
1/6/2012, 02:45 PM
I was pretty sure he was leaving after this year.

ashley
1/6/2012, 03:27 PM
Has anyone noticed that in the day of the spread, almost everyone is mad at their secondary coach.

EatLeadCommie
1/6/2012, 03:34 PM
Martinez has made our corners more physical, which I like. Unfortunately, the scheme normally has them about 10 yards off their man so you only notice this when the corners and the ball are in the same place. He makes for a nice scapegoat, but there are larger issues that need to be addressed and have needed addressing for years now... the soft offensive line, horrific special teams, and consistent defensive lapses.

oumartin
1/6/2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I don't think Willie is huge problem

Soonerman08
1/6/2012, 04:09 PM
Martinez has made our corners more physical, which I like. Unfortunately, the scheme normally has them about 10 yards off their man so you only notice this when the corners and the ball are in the same place. He makes for a nice scapegoat, but there are larger issues that need to be addressed and have needed addressing for years now... the soft offensive line, horrific special teams, and consistent defensive lapses.

Actually, from all the practice videos online, it would appear that Bob has coached the corners the past few years. I wonder if that will change when Mike is back?

LASooner
1/6/2012, 04:19 PM
I think this could be a win-win type deal for everyone involved. Martinez has experience as a DC, gets to stay in a conference he's familiar with, gets a promotion, gets a chance to run his own defense, and OU fans get Mike Stoops back. Win-win.

I think it's a Win win, because We get Mike back and our pass heavy offense gets to play against a Martinez coached secondary ever year.

cleller
1/6/2012, 08:49 PM
Our DBs played better in the Insight Bowl because Mike Stoops was within 1 mile of them.

bssooner1
1/6/2012, 11:41 PM
He coached Cason, Thorpe winner, during his tenure. I would say that shows he did pretty good while there. We need Mike Stoops back fellas. No opinion on Martinez but getting Stoops back cannot be considered negative.

hawaii 5-0
1/7/2012, 12:31 AM
I think Mike Stoops would be an excellent recruiter for prospective DBs. OK, at least better than Martinez.

Actually I thought one of Mike Stoops's assets was his DBs' ability to mask the coverage they were in.

5-0

agoo758
1/7/2012, 02:05 AM
He coached Cason, Thorpe winner, during his tenure. I would say that shows he did pretty good while there. We need Mike Stoops back fellas. No opinion on Martinez but getting Stoops back cannot be considered negative.

Oh! But that one game against OSU in 2002 and no other example! LOLZ!!!!

soonercoop1
1/7/2012, 10:09 AM
I guess you have to put me in the not super stoked at M. Stoops return camp. The guy's personal life looks to be in turmoil and he just got kicked to the curb professionally. It's not that I don't really feel for the guy but I don't think going back to work for his brother is the best thing for O.U. football. Lot's of potential problems IMHO.

OU needs someone to improve this consistently average D...Mike seems to be the best choice we have at the moment...

tulsaoilerfan
1/7/2012, 10:11 AM
At this point could it really hurt if Mike came back? At least it would be something different

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 01:11 PM
Threads without links and rumors make message boards suck.

You get posts with "I wish", "I hope", "I think", "I'd expect"....

Never "I know", "This will"....

OU defensive backs coach Willie Martinez to the Jayhawks?
by jtesooner on Jan 6, 2012 10:17 AM CST in Oklahoma Sooners Football

He said that he wasn't quite ready to report the story, but that he had heard from a couple well placed sources, as he called them, that have told him that Sooners defensive backs coach (and scapegoat to many an OU fan IMO) Willie Martinez could be headed to Lawrence, KS to become the defensive coordinator for Charlie Weis.

If this proves to be true, it would be pretty much the perfect scenario for those clamoring for Mike Stoops to return. Aside from Bob's "never fired an asst. coach" streak staying intact, Mike Stoops was the secondary coach when he was previously on staff at Oklahoma. So Martinez's possible departure would allow the younger Stoops to return to his old spot (and presumably Co-DC with Venables) and not force the OU coaching staff to have to make any other real significant changes.

While I'm not as quick to throw Martinez under the bus as some, I think this could be a win-win type deal for everyone involved. Martinez has experience as a DC, gets to stay in a conference he's familiar with, gets a promotion, gets a chance to run his own defense, and OU fans get Mike Stoops back. Win-win.

We'll obviously just have to wait and see how this thing plays out, but I'd expect this is potentially good (great?) news for those OU fans out there eagerly anticipating Mike's return.

Prodigal
1/7/2012, 03:31 PM
Our DBs played better in the Insight Bowl because Mike Stoops was within 1 mile of them.

Didn't Mike first show up for the tech game and was then there for both baylor and osu.

SoonerMom2
1/7/2012, 04:45 PM
Another Twitter update from Jayhawk Slant We’ve confirmed Willie Martinez isn’t visiting Lawrence and has not been offered the DC job. Likely destination- Big 10 #kufball
http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2012/1/6/2687022/kansas-football-rumors-defensive-coordinator-willie-martinez-tight#

Chatter is that he is going to IL as the DC on the Kansas board.

UPDATE: The Big 10 Network is also reporting that Martinez to Illinois could happen (http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/section/oklahoma-sooners-football)

More in the last 24 hours are reporting he is headed to IL not KS

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 05:03 PM
Wow....

More chatter, tweets and rumors....this time from sources like this....lol

http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/matt_tait/

SoonerMom2
1/7/2012, 05:08 PM
Actually one was from the Big 10 network! Thought I would get in the act with Twitter since it seems to be such a great source. LOL!!! Honestly, you can find almost anything you want to find that someone has Twittered. It is amazing it is used for sources but it happens in politics and the news as well. If it is not on Twitter, it is not news! I am sitting here laughing posting that but it is unbelievable how many people will tell you that!

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 05:50 PM
Actually one was from the Big 10 network! Thought I would get in the act with Twitter since it seems to be such a great source. LOL!!! Honestly, you can find almost anything you want to find that someone has Twittered. It is amazing it is used for sources but it happens in politics and the news as well. If it is not on Twitter, it is not news! I am sitting here laughing posting that but it is unbelievable how many people will tell you that!

All you need do is watch CNN OR FOX in the afternoon to watch them get all excited about someone's twitter feed. It's hilarious to watch them completely destroy their own careers.