PDA

View Full Version : GM to "call back" 8,000 Chevy Volts

Sooner5030
1/5/2012, 11:38 PM
Not a "recall" but a "call back".

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-gm-call-back-8-000-chevy-160059632.html

DETROIT (AP) — General Motors will strengthen the structure around the batteries in its Volt electric cars to keep them safe during crashes, a person briefed on the matter said Thursday.

GM will ask Volt owners to return the cars to dealers for structural modifications, said the person, who did not want to be identified because GM executives plan to announce the repairs later Thursday.

The fixes are similar to a recall and involve about 8,000 Volts sold in the U.S. in the past two years. GM is making the repairs after three Volt batteries caught fire following crash tests done by federal safety regulators. The fires occurred seven days to three weeks after tests and have been blamed on a coolant leak that caused an electrical short.

GM's move is considered a step below a recall, which would be issued by a car company and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

NHTSA and GM have said the electric cars are safe and that no fires have occurred after crashes on real-world roadways.

The Volt has a T-shaped, 400-pound (181-kilogram) battery pack that can power the car for about 35 miles (56 kilometers). After that, a small gasoline generator kicks in to run the electric motor.

NHTSA has been investigating the batteries after a Volt caught fire in June at a crash test facility in Wisconsin. The fire broke out three weeks after a side-impact crash test.

GM said the Volt's battery should have been drained after the crash, but it never told NHTSA to do that. Later, two GM executives said the company had no formal procedure to drain the batteries until after the June fire. GM has said that the liquid solution used to cool the Volt's battery leaked and crystallized, causing an electrical short that touched off the fire.

The company now sends out a team to drain the batteries after being notified of a crash by GM's OnStar safety system.

The company sold 7,671 Volts last year, falling short of its goal of 10,000. It was outsold last year by its main electric car competitor, the Nissan Leaf, at 9,674.

Nice to know they'll have a team come and drain your batteries after a crash.

MR2-Sooner86
1/6/2012, 09:46 AM
It's so nice to see that my tax dollars went to such good use.

sappstuf
1/6/2012, 12:12 PM
Beside the Volt though, GM is doing ok...

Well... If you don't look at the 46.1% drop in stock prices this year, that is.

That made them the #1 worst car stock of the year..

We're #1!!!

So for those keeping score, the government still owns 500 million shares. To break even, we would need to sell them at $53 a share.. It is trading at $21.15.

Don't hold your breath.

badger
1/6/2012, 12:38 PM
This really disappoints me, because they look like such cool cars and I expected them to really take off for their sporty look as well as their gas-free approach (and yes, I know that it has a gas tank).

Dale Ellis
1/6/2012, 02:08 PM
And so Yahoo's "car of the year" goes down in flames or should I say amps.

soonerhubs
1/6/2012, 02:38 PM
And so Yahoo's "car of the year" goes down in flames or should I say amps.

I think "down in flames" is spot on. :D

http://www.theday.com/article/20111129/BIZ03/311299953/-1/BIZ

OULenexaman
1/6/2012, 02:55 PM
GM has given us soooooo many wonderful gems over the years......The super safe Corvair.....the 20,000 mile Vega and Chevette....Trucks with exploding gas tanks.....Pontiac Fiero where engine compartment fires were standard equipment.

soonercruiser
1/10/2012, 12:03 AM
This really disappoints me, because they look like such cool cars and I expected them to really take off for their sporty look as well as their gas-free approach (and yes, I know that it has a gas tank).

Yup! A really cool car like the Ford Pinto!
Anybody remember the Pinto?
Seems, it had a little trouble catching fire like the Volt.
:indecisiveness:

Oh! And anbody have the numbers on how much we tax-payer subsidize the production of EACH AND EVERY VOLT!!!!?????
Another Solyndra!