PDA

View Full Version : Do kids send thank-you notes any longer?

Lott's Bandana
1/5/2012, 10:37 PM
When I was a hatchling, every Christmas* morning my father would have a notepad and pen and write down every gift I received, as well as who the sender was.

Within a week after New Year's Day, I would have to sit down and write thank-you notes to each and every relative and family friend on his list. This lasted well into my teen years. I did something similar with my own daughters.

Does this still happen in families? Has email replaced the mailed note/letter?

*Birthday too.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 12:07 AM
I had to when I was younger, and I HATED it. Now I usually open the present in front of everybody, so they just get a thank you and a hug on the spot.

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 09:23 AM
I had to when I was younger, and I HATED it. Now I usually open the present in front of everybody, so they just get a thank you and a hug on the spot.

I did it for graduation. But I think Facebook/Twitter/Email has replaced the need for old-fashioned correspondence.

badger
1/6/2012, 09:38 AM
I did it for graduation. But I think Facebook/Twitter/Email has replaced the need for old-fashioned correspondence.

The important thing is that you thank them, not the method. I feel the same way about Christmas correspondence --- even if you don't get a chance to contact family and friends the rest of the year, you better let them know that you love them and appreciate them at least during the holidays!

Without thank yous and without Christmas correspondence, they'd probably forget that you existed, much like you seem to have forgotten about them :(

:) did I just guilt you all into sending thank yous?

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 09:42 AM
The important thing is that you thank them, not the method. I feel the same way about Christmas correspondence --- even if you don't get a chance to contact family and friends the rest of the year, you better let them know that you love them and appreciate them at least during the holidays!

Without thank yous and without Christmas correspondence, they'd probably forget that you existed, much like you seem to have forgotten about them :(

:) did I just guilt you all into sending thank yous?

The only person who sent in a gift I thanked on twitter! :D haha loop-hole. Next year.....might not be as lucky.

Curly Bill
1/6/2012, 09:46 AM
I got a thank you card for a graduation gift. I've never sent, nor received a thank you card for Christmas gifts - that's always been an in-person thank you.

OULenexaman
1/6/2012, 09:55 AM
When I was a hatchling, every Christmas* morning my father would have a notepad and pen and write down every gift I received, as well as who the sender was.

Within a week after New Year's Day, I would have to sit down and write thank-you notes to each and every relative and family friend on his list. This lasted well into my teen years. I did something similar with my own daughters.

Does this still happen in families? Has email replaced the mailed note/letter?

*Birthday too. I got thank you notes in the mail all hand written from all my nieces this year....so friggin funny to read and decipher what the hell they just wrote from 3 to 6 year olds.....warms the heart much more than any of that facebook or twitter crap.

Curly Bill
1/6/2012, 09:59 AM
I got thank you notes in the mail all hand written from all my nieces this year....so friggin funny to read and decipher what the hell they just wrote from 3 to 6 year olds.....warms the heart much more than any of that facebook or twitter crap.

No question about it!

XingTheRubicon
1/6/2012, 10:16 AM
My 17 year old nephew sent me an e-mail "Thanks for the Under Armor gear." He is a senior pitcher at 5A DFW High School and I gave him some UA thermal baseball stuff for his birthday. I replied to his email reminding him, jokingly, that I abhor emails for personal occasions, (Holidays, birthdays, thank you's, etc.) He replies back and jokes about me (and his parents) being old farts. After this joking banter goes back and forth for a few days, out of the blue, I remember to remind him of his High School graduation present. He writes back "what about it?" "Oh nothing', I said. "This email thing has just created some...oh, I don't know, hesitancy."

Hand-written thank you card was in my mailbox 3 days later.

virginiasooner
1/6/2012, 10:26 AM
My younger niece and nephew are very good about sending me a thank-you note for their birthday and Christmas presents. Don't recall their cousins doing that. My concern is that they spend so much time TYPING that their handwriting is terrible! I'm getting old!

Lott's Bandana
1/6/2012, 10:26 AM
My 17 year old nephew sent me an e-mail "Thanks for the Under Armor gear." He is a senior pitcher at 5A DFW High School and I gave him some UA thermal baseball stuff for his birthday. I replied to his email reminding him, jokingly, that I abhor emails for personal occasions, (Holidays, birthdays, thank you's, etc.) He replies back and jokes about me (and his parents) being old farts. After this joking banter goes back and forth for a few days, out of the blue, I remember to remind him of his High School graduation present. He writes back "what about it?" "Oh nothing', I said. "This email thing has just created some...oh, I don't know, hesitancy."

Hand-written thank you card was in my mailbox 3 days later.

There is quite a load of greatness in that story right there. Hope he has a great year on the mound.

8timechamps
1/6/2012, 04:59 PM
Nothing beats a hand-written thank you note other than a personal visit (for that reason). I make my kids write thank you notes to their grandparents when they get gifts. They hate it, but the old folks love it.

oudanny
1/6/2012, 05:05 PM
I call or visit those that weren't there for the gift opening. We raised our daughters to write thank-you notes. I quit sending gifts to a niece and grand-nephew because they didn't send thank-yous or call.