PDA

View Full Version : next year's depth chart

PDXsooner
1/5/2012, 08:34 PM
Any chance someone has the knowledge or ability to post a potential/ realistic 2-deep for next year?

prrriiide
1/5/2012, 09:32 PM
I'll give it a shot:

Offense

LT: Not sure who to put in here. Tyrus Thompson is currently the back-up listed behind Stephenson, so ya gotta figure he'll be in the mix there. After that anything else, to me, is a W.A.G.

LG: Ikard - Shead

C: Habern - Darlington

RG: Evans - Irwin

RT: Johnson - Williams

TE: Wide open. We'll have a Soph that AFAIK has never played a snap, and 3 3* Fr.

QB: Jones - Allen/Bell

RB: Whaley - Clay/Finch

WR1: Stills - Neal

WR2: Metoyer - Jackson

Slot: Shepherd - Franks

Defense

DE: King - Grissom

DT: Walker - McGee

DT: McFarland - Phillips

DE: Washington - Ndulue

WLB: Nelson - Jones

MLB: Wort - Bird

SLB: Ibiloye - Shannon

BCB: Lynn - D. Harris/Powell

SS: Colvin - Hayes

FS: Jefferson - J. Harris

FCB: Hurst - L. Harris

K: Hunnicut - O'hara

P: Way - Seibert

Just my shot in the dark...

PDXsooner
1/5/2012, 09:39 PM
I'll give it a shot:

Offense

LT: Not sure who to put in here. Tyrus Thompson is currently the back-up listed behind Stephenson, so ya gotta figure he'll be in the mix there. After that anything else, to me, is a W.A.G.

TE: Wide open. We'll have a Soph that AFAIK has never played a snap, and 3 3* Fr.

Defense

Suh-weet...thanks!

PDXsooner
1/5/2012, 09:42 PM
The more I look at it the more I like it. I see the main question marks being:

O-Line (as far as running the ball, we simply need to be more physical)

Receiver - Jaz Reynolds will be back as long as he heals. These guys need to pick it up. I'm tired of 5-star receivers not being 5-star talents.

DB's - Save the "talent" talk...our secondary was simply punished this year several times. They need to improve.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2012, 09:47 PM
Don't forget the 4 star #2 nationally TE, Juco TE and JUCO CB Everett. They will be on the mix.

OkieThunderLion
1/5/2012, 09:47 PM
DB's - Save the "talent" talk...our secondary was simply punished this year several times. They need to improve.
I think 3/4s of the secondary had damn good seasons. FS position had more than it's share of busts, and a back-up corner was exposed when starter was out with injury.

Colvin, Hurst, and Jefferson are a terrific trio to have returning. I wouldn't write off Harris or Lynn yet, either.

SoonerInFortSmith
1/5/2012, 09:58 PM
I'll give it a shot:

Offense

Defense

I think you are close. We may see Millard play more of an H-back type position in lieu of a true TE, at least until the new guys get broken in.

Also, the starting receivers will be Stills and Reynolds with Franks starting in the slot. If Reynolds is slow coming back from surgery Jackson would move into that spot. I don't see any of the freshmen coming in and starting from day one.

JMHO

OkieThunderLion
1/5/2012, 10:03 PM
I think Kameel Jackson may be just as good as Stills and Reynolds. Watch out for him next fall.

cccasooner2
1/5/2012, 10:24 PM
My guess/druthers on D with Mike as co-DC: :)

Defense

SLB: Lindley - Shannon

BCB: Colvin - Everett

SS: Ibiloye - Hayes

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 11:19 PM
Receiver - Jaz Reynolds will be back as long as he heals. These guys need to pick it up. I'm tired of 5-star receivers not being 5-star talents.

I don't recall any 5 star receivers except for Metoyer and he is still just a commit (recommit?)

Eielson
1/5/2012, 11:25 PM
I'm tired of 5-star receivers not being 5-star talents.

What 5-star receivers are you referring to? Metoyer hasn't joined the team yet.

EDIT: Whoops! Got beat to it.

8timechamps
1/5/2012, 11:28 PM
Chaz Nelson will see time on defense next year. I also suspect JUCO transfer Kevin Peterson will see some time in the secondary. Given the loads of talent we have coming in at WR, there's bound to be one guy that can make an impact as a freshman.

Okie35
1/5/2012, 11:38 PM
The more I look at it the more I like it. I see the main question marks being:

O-Line (as far as running the ball, we simply need to be more physical)

I agree, 3 stars work harder most of the time. The DBs got abused because our interior d-line got abused most of the time.

OkieThunderLion
1/5/2012, 11:58 PM

Got to have a primo cover guy at SS in this conference. They are almost never near the line of scrimmage. That is why you've seen Colvin, Nelson, Holmes there the last couple years.

PDXsooner
1/6/2012, 12:08 AM
I think you get my point...5 star, 4 star, I don't follow that gay ****. I'm talking about the Jarboes, Dejuan Miller, Adron Tenell, Jameel Owens, etc.

You get the point quit trying to get all technical with stars, planets and all that crap...

Eielson
1/6/2012, 12:12 AM
I think you get my point...5 star, 4 star, I don't follow that gay ****. I'm talking about the Jarboes, Dejuan Miller, Adron Tenell, Jameel Owens, etc.

You get the point quit trying to get all technical with stars, planets and all that crap...

You mentioned our 5-stars. We said our first 5-star hasn't even enrolled yet. I don't really see that as pulling a technicality on you. It's just a false statement.

hawaii 5-0
1/6/2012, 12:17 AM
I think there's plenty of talent in the secondary. OU needs to coach 'em up.

5-0

OkieThunderLion
1/6/2012, 12:25 AM
You mentioned our 5-stars. We said our first 5-star hasn't even enrolled yet. I don't really see that as pulling a technicality on you. It's just a false statement.

Wasn't the Huggins kid from Carolina (6/7 years ago) a 5-star? He was truly a recruiting ranking whiff.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 12:27 AM
Wasn't the Huggins kid from Carolina (6/7 years ago) a 5-star? He was truly a recruiting ranking whiff.

I checked rivals recently, and he wasn't on there. Perhaps on scout or something he was. They give out 5-stars a lot easier over there if I remember right.

OkieThunderLion
1/6/2012, 12:27 AM
No, I just looked it up. He (Huggins) was 4-star both Scout and Rivals.

Malcolm Kelly was a 5-star (Scout).

Eielson
1/6/2012, 12:44 AM

I don't think I'd call Malcolm Kelly a bust. He's one of the best WR's we've ever had. I wonder what he could've done if he'd had a year with an experienced quarterback.

PDXsooner
1/6/2012, 01:09 AM
5-star means a super highly recruited and ranked guy. Is is 5-star? is it 4 star? Is it Andromodous star? Hell, I don't know, it's a metaphorical reference to an under-performer. Quit being a fag.

OkieThunderLion
1/6/2012, 02:35 AM
I don't think I'd call Malcolm Kelly a bust. He's one of the best WR's we've ever had. I wonder what he could've done if he'd had a year with an experienced quarterback.
Yep. Best outside receiver we've had. Played thru a lot of pain here, that wasn't talked about.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 02:42 AM
5-star means a super highly recruited and ranked guy. Is is 5-star? is it 4 star? Is it Andromodous star? Hell, I don't know, it's a metaphorical reference to an under-performer. Quit being a fag.

5-star is somebody who was rated as a 5-star according to a recruiting website...generally rivals. It's pretty straight-forward. The attitude doesn't make you sound smart.

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 08:49 AM
Left Tackle - Daryl Williams/Lane Johnson....MARK IT DOWN!

SoonerInFortSmith
1/6/2012, 09:25 AM
No way Lane Johnson plays left tackle. Don't know enough about Williams to say anything about him.

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 09:32 AM
No way Lane Johnson plays left tackle. Don't know enough about Williams to say anything about him.

I only said Johnson because he is a SR and they have been known to flip guys because of that, I think Daryl is best option but when was the last time we had a young guy at LT.

SoonerInFortSmith
1/6/2012, 09:50 AM
It actually wouldn't surprise me to see Derek Farniok out there just because of his massive size. Think along the lines of Loadholt. Smart money is probably on williams or Tyrus Thompson though.

PDXsooner
1/6/2012, 11:26 AM
What about our DTs? Any young guys gonna step up and challenge for PT next year?

8timechamps
1/6/2012, 04:20 PM
What about our DTs? Any young guys gonna step up and challenge for PT next year?

That's the biggest question on D. Walker should be a stud next year, but there are a couple of kids we are recruiting that could play as freshmen...Eddie Goldman for one. Hope we get this kid.

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 05:18 PM
My guess/druthers on D with Mike as co-DC: :)

Defense

SLB: Lindley - Shannon

BCB: Colvin - EverettI wouldn't count out Okotcha

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 05:20 PM
That's the biggest question on D. Walker should be a stud next year, but there are a couple of kids we are recruiting that could play as freshmen...Eddie Goldman for one. Hope we get this kid.

I would agree that a DT could change the game but I think we need consistency at corner on both sides, I am confident in Hurst but Lynn is another story.

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 05:21 PM

A lot of it could be that Malcolm was 6-4, size is everything in recruiting.

IronHorseSooner
1/7/2012, 10:53 AM
I'll give it a shot:

Offense

LT: Dar. Williams/ Farniok

C: Habern - Woods

RT: Johnson - Thompson

TE: Green/ McNamara

QB: Jones - Bell

RB: Whaley - Finch

FB: Millard- Ripkowski

WR1: Stills - Jackson

WR2: Reynolds- Metoyer

Slot: Franks- Shephard

Defense

BCB: Everett- Lynn

FCB: Hurst - Powell

My changes in Bold...

starclassic tama
1/7/2012, 01:46 PM
yeah i think original poster is a little trigger happy on the young receivers. our core going into the season will be stills reynolds and jackson in my opinion. i also wonder if jefferson is going to stay at the deep safety spot? i thought he played really well against OSU and iowa. even in the blowout loss to OSU, weeden wasn't throwing the ball deep routinely and only finished with like 220 yards. he looks like a natural at safety

picasso
1/7/2012, 02:42 PM
Malcom Kelly saved our asses a few times in his career. Tech at home in '06 is one example.

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 02:45 PM
There doesn't seem to really be any reason for anyone to get technical about 5 star recruits that have come to OU IMO. Hell...just one fan's opinion of the last 25 years whether right or wrong doesn't appear to really give OU any significant leverage in getting the Team an inch closer to a MNC by recruiting players that someone besides the OU Coaching Staff thinks are potential SuperStars. I think that's why I really get zero value from these Internet Websites that rank HS Talent as "The Best". All that ever comes from these kids that think they are the 2nd coming of a Team like OU's next Heisman Trophy Winner usually end up a flop and I'll bet that is usually the case at most Schools.

Teams win National Championships not 5-Star Recruits. Now...maybe $Cam Newton is an exception but even he was not much of a guarantee as Auburn freshman tailback Michael Dyer (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/players/michael-dyer/194396) set the table for the Tigers with a pair of runs in the final three minutes. It was his heads-up play that turned the game after Oregon tied it at 19-19 with a dramatic touchdown and two-point conversion following a Cam Newton (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/players/cam-newton/150790) fumble.

Here's the little example of a Fans. opinion....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ycn-10784353

Still....it's just another opinion but look at what has happened when we go after these supposed 5 star kids. I say kids too as they never really showed me they made manhood. At least not until their time as a player was over.