PDA

View Full Version : Is WV coming to the Big 12 next year or not?

PDXsooner
1/5/2012, 08:30 PM
What's the latest on that?

Also, is anyone else impressed with the fact that they've won 3 BCS bowls?

Eielson
1/5/2012, 08:35 PM
I didn't expect them to recover too well from the loss of Rodriguez, White, and Slaton/Devine. Holgersen, Smith, and Austin seems to be a pretty good replacement, though.

soonerboomer93
1/5/2012, 09:12 PM
Yes, but there are still lawsuits. The RI should eventually get thrown out from what I understand. The one in WV isn't scheduled to go to trial until right before or after their join date.

Thread from WVU board on lawsuit:
http://www.wemustignitethiscouch.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21253&forum=2

Picking up WVU isn't a loss competition wise. It's also a lot harder on them with the travel then on us with only gong there like once a year per sport. Supposedly their local airport is getting some renovations.

sooneron
1/5/2012, 09:38 PM
Picking up WVU isn't a loss competition wise. It's also a lot harder on them with the travel then on us with only gong there like once a year per sport. Supposedly their local airport is getting some renovations.

http://timwu.org/calcutta%20airport.gif

:texan:

Sooner5030
1/5/2012, 10:10 PM
I dont have a JD and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn.

But from most accounts/BBS/news clips it appears that any kind of injunction or order to stay in the BE is unlikely and that the big disagreement is what is the penalty (or damages) for leaving the BE w/o the 27 month delay. WVU offered $ that didn't jive with the BE. Just like the B12 the BE has a lag in the $ you earned vs the payout. So the BE still owes WVU from a previous year. I tihnk WVU was hoping that withholding that lag payment plus a $2.5 million payment would be enough to drop the case.

It would be nice though to have someone with a JD and in the know to explain to us the situation.

soonerboomer93
1/5/2012, 10:44 PM
Actually, they owe for more then one bowl, and a final 4 a couple years ago

oumartin
1/5/2012, 11:14 PM
They probably win the big 12 next year

delhalew
1/6/2012, 12:38 AM
In an interview, Oliver Luck said he had instructed his coaches to consider themselves members of the Big12 in both preparation and scheduling.

PDXsooner
1/6/2012, 01:12 AM
They probably win the big 12 next year

Doubt it. But the Big 12 is no joke. With OU, Texas (always a threat), K-State, Oklahoma St, TCU, Baylor, Tech, and a potentially dangerous Kansas with Charlie Weiss there are no gimmes like there were in the Big East...

PDXsooner
1/6/2012, 01:13 AM
OK, I doubt Kansas will be good but the conf. is deep.

MichiganSooner
1/6/2012, 08:59 AM
OK and Baylor will soon be back being Baylor, too.

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 10:07 AM
I hope WVU is able to compete in the Big 12 next year.

That being said, I completely disagree with the way these things work. It seems like in these things contracts are meaningless. There's a contract that says they'll pay $xxx unless they give 27 month notice.

I don't understand why these things go to arbitration or the courts (other than a simple "you must meet your contractural obligations" ruling).

It's the same when a coach leaves and doesn't fully fulfill his buyout clause.

I'd love for our resident lawyers to explain this. Why are these contracts not simply enforced. If you have a contract with me and you don't fulfill it then the penalty part should kick in. I shouldn't have to go to arbitration to "work out a settlement". We worked out a settlement when we both signed the contract.

I understand that some things in contracts may be unenforceable (such as strict non-competitive clauses) but I don't see how that applies here.

Russ
1/6/2012, 10:27 AM
Not as impressed that they have won, as I think they have beating the ACC each time, which is 2-13 in BCS bowls.

That being said, about the lawsuit they are in much worse shape than Baylor/A&M thing.
In the event that this will leave the Big East with only 7 teams, and that IS a big deal.

If the Big East does not let them out of the contract, then they will most likely be responsible for BIG dollar damages that could approach the entire value of West Virginia college. Syracuse and Pitt are staying at least through the 2012 year so the new teams SMU/Houston/etc can join, however WV does not want to.

Leaving the Big East with just 7 teams next year would be a disaster, as I believe you have to have 8 to get your BCS bid. That right there is 20Million in damages, which could be tripled as the contract is very specific under what conditions you can leave the BE.

The BE has all of the cards in this fight.

soonervegas
1/6/2012, 10:55 AM
nm

PDXsooner
1/6/2012, 11:24 AM
Their 3 BCS wins are against Georgia, Oklahoma (by 20), and Clemson (by 40)... Not impressive to you?

Curly Bill
1/6/2012, 11:38 AM
I for one think they'll be a force to be reckoned with. If we can lose to peeps like Taco Tech, we'll certainly be capable of losing to WVU.

...not that I think we will lose to them! :)

soonerboomer93
1/6/2012, 12:06 PM

That being said, I completely disagree with the way these things work. It seems like in these things contracts are meaningless. There's a contract that says they'll pay $xxx unless they give 27 month notice.

I don't understand why these things go to arbitration or the courts (other than a simple "you must meet your contractural obligations" ruling).

I'd love for our resident lawyers to explain this. Why are these contracts not simply enforced. If you have a contract with me and you don't fulfill it then the penalty part should kick in. I shouldn't have to go to arbitration to "work out a settlement". We worked out a settlement when we both signed the contract.

I understand that some things in contracts may be unenforceable (such as strict non-competitive clauses) but I don't see how that applies here.

Well, ideally, you want people to work out with the terms of their contract. You're not suing lawsuits over Nebraska, Colorado, or the other teams leaving the Big 12.

WVU filed their suit accusing of the BE of breaching the contract and responsibilites.

SoonerorLater
1/6/2012, 12:21 PM

Contracts aren't solemn vows. Simply a legal agreement. Contracts are broken all the time. It's just the remedy that is the question. Situations change all the time during the coarse of agreements that affect the enforcement of the contract. I think unless the Big East is ultimately granted injunctive relief West Virginia will be in the Big 12 next year. It's clear that West Virginia would prefer to move to the Big 12 and force the Big East to go after them for actual damages.

Sooner91ATL
1/6/2012, 01:31 PM
WVU will be a quality addition and will competitively challenging for league leadership every year. At minimum during down years, WVU will play long-distance road trip spoiler and an aggravation to the usual top dogs in the conference.

TCU no slouch either and their recruiting is about to pick up in Big 12 country including texas.

BoomerJack
1/6/2012, 02:31 PM
It seems that until the legal wrangling in Rhode Island & W. Va. is done there is no definitive answer to the original question, IMO.

But you would think that the Big XII has to have some kind of "drop dead" date for scheduling purposes.

I haven't read anything about this in the OKC fishwrapper and I don't listen to the sports talk radio programming. Has anybody heard anything???

soonercastor
1/6/2012, 02:37 PM

They return at least 16 starters, no doubt they'll be competing.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 03:11 PM
They return at least 16 starters, no doubt they'll be competing.

We're doing something like that, and everybody seems to think we're doomed.

Sooner5030
1/6/2012, 03:13 PM
anyone know WVUs OOC schedule next year?

soonerboomer93
1/6/2012, 03:45 PM
anyone know WVUs OOC schedule next year?

Google is your friend

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/big-east/2012-west-virginia-mountaineers-football-schedule.php

King Barry's Back
1/8/2012, 12:40 AM
You can't force anybody to play when/where they really don't want to play. The courts may enforce a price so high that WVU chooses to stay rather than jump right away, but I don't see that happening.

Otherwise, WVU is a Big XII member. I think long-term, the East Coast presence is going to be awesome. Too bad I don't live in DC anymore. Morgantown every other year would be a fabulous road trip.

Short-term, they may kick our butts.

Sabanball
1/8/2012, 12:27 PM
That's my understanding and I think they will compete right away for a conference championship. They were my top pick to join the SEC along with TAMU, but were not invited supposedly because they don't bring along any large TV markets and their academic standards.

DCsooner22
1/8/2012, 12:30 PM
Too bad I don't live in DC anymore. Morgantown every other year would be a fabulous road trip.

Here, here! Looking forward to it!

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 12:39 PM
http://timwu.org/calcutta%20airport.gif

:texan:

I hear they offer passengers a coupon for a free Mountain Dew for every checked bag that isn't a 7 mil thick yard/leaf bag.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 12:43 PM
Contracts aren't solemn vows. Simply a legal agreement. Contracts are broken all the time. It's just the remedy that is the question. Situations change all the time during the coarse of agreements that affect the enforcement of the contract. I think unless the Big East is ultimately granted injunctive relief West Virginia will be in the Big 12 next year. It's clear that West Virginia would prefer to move to the Big 12 and force the Big East to go after them for actual damages.

So it's over money?

Wow. Who knew? :D

ouwasp
1/8/2012, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=BoomerJack;3436905]

But you would think that the Big XII has to have some kind of "drop dead" date for scheduling purposes.

What BoomerJack sez. There should be fine print somewhere saying if WV can't get their BE ex-buddies to sign off by a certain date, then they are stuck with them for the time being.

soonerboomer93
1/8/2012, 08:58 PM
The issue is that, as my understanding the RI case should be eventually thrown out due to sovereign immunity. The judge is currently trying to treat as WVU as a corporation, which they can't as it's a public institution and set a legal precedent with large ramifications. Once that is thrown out, then there nothing stopping WVU from joining the Big XII.

Ps, I am not a lawyer, this is only my understanding from what I've read. Maybe one of the lawyers here will pipe up.

TulsaSooners
1/9/2012, 04:07 AM
The WVU administration and fans kept wishing for the SEC, but that invite was never going to come in a million years. WVU is far too small, doesn't even remotely bring in the type of reputation (academic or athletic), and certainly doesn't bring in the TV sets and hype required to join that conference. They have peaked in terms of conference possibilities, and I can't believe that much of their fan base is still so disappointed that an SEC invite never came. Also, they won their conference and got to win a BCS bowl game due to playing in the Big East, and will be one of the favorites in either the Big East or Big 12-whatever next year. Have they forgotten how uncompetitive they were at home against LSU?

I agree with King Barry that it is really hard to force a member to stay who so badly wants to leave. Just like the Big 12 had to eventually accept that A&M and Mizzou were heading for far better opportunities, so too will the Big East.