PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones Returning...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 05:12 PM
Just announced..link following http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010512aaa.html

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 05:13 PM
Landry Jones, the all-time leading passer in Oklahoma history, announced today that he will remain at OU and compete for the Sooners in his senior year.

“I want to accomplish the goals that I set before I got here, and there is still a lot more to do,” Jones said. “I want to make sure I’ve exhausted every effort in that area. And I want to be a senior. I enjoy being at OU and with my teammates and look forward to graduating with the guys that were in my class when I got here.”

The Artesia, NM, native said the NFL was a strong lure.

“That’s the ultimate goal for anyone who plays football,” Jones said. “I’ve thought about that since I was a little boy. It would be a great honor to play in the NFL and that goal will still be there when I finish at Oklahoma.”

With a relatively small senior class departing from the 2011 team, Jones likes the prospects for 2012.

“We hope to have another opportunity to make a title run,” he said. “Most of the offensive line returns and we have several receivers and backs return too. We’ve also got a lot of guys back on defense, so we’re confident that we can be a strong team.”

OU Head Coach Bob Stoops was pleased with Jones’ decision.

“We know the positive influence Landry has on and off the field with our team,” Stoops said. “We’re excited that he’s coming back to build on what has already been an outstanding career. We expect another great year from him, and like the fact that he’s determined to be even better.”

Jones, a finalist for the 2011 Manning Award, is OU’s all-time leading passer with 12,389 yards. He also tops the school’s career list with 93 touchdown passes. In all, Jones holds 21 records at Oklahoma, and is among the NCAA’s active career leaders in passing yards per game, passing yards, completions, touchdown passes and total yards.

As of now, he has 40 games played with 37 starts. He has completed 1,021-of-1,628 passes (.627) with 41 interceptions against the 93 TDs.

Jones’ record as a starter is 30-8, including a 3-0 mark in bowls. He quarterbacked the 2009 team to the Big 12 Championship.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 05:15 PM
ahh, I'll leave it..

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 05:16 PM
Amazing he was able to get that big 12 title in '09 with the O-line we had that year. :P

Boomer.....
1/5/2012, 05:16 PM
As much as people want him gone, this is a good thing for the team. This should give us a couple more wins than we would have had under Allen or Bell.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 05:17 PM
Drew Allen to transfer now?

badger
1/5/2012, 05:20 PM

It is probably really difficult to, given our recent history of what happens immediately after you transfer: You find out that you would have gotten your shot.

This transferring curse has divebombed everyone from Keith Nichol to Noah Allen. You could even include Paul Thompson (who "transferred" to wide receiver) and Rhett Bomar (forced to transfer) in that discussion. If the players stayed as OU quarterbacks, they would have been OU starters.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2012, 05:21 PM
Barring any unforeseen early departures, OU is looking strong next year!

I like Jones and I am not upset by his return. I just hope he shows better leadership this off seasonand next season. I was impressed with him in the bowl game trying to het the team pumped up and being more vocal on the sidelines.

He has the tools to be a good NFL QB. He hasbeen lacking the verbal leadership when things are not going good. Most of the time he just looked like a deer in headlights when mistakes or drops occurred.

Goodfor Landry and OU that he has decided to come back.

Now I hope Stoops opens the QB competition up and make him earn it andnot just give it to him since he is a 3 year starter!

Boomer.....
1/5/2012, 05:22 PM

That's what I was thinking.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 05:23 PM
It is probably really difficult to, given our recent history of what happens immediately after you transfer: You find out that you would have gotten your shot.

This transferring curse has divebombed everyone from Keith Nichol to Noah Allen. You could even include Paul Thompson (who "transferred" to wide receiver) and Rhett Bomar (forced to transfer) in that discussion. If the players stayed as OU quarterbacks, they would have been OU starters.

Keith Nichol would disagree with you whole heartedly..

Blue
1/5/2012, 05:24 PM
Hopefully the backup will get alot of reps and build a rapport with these young receivers.

BillyBall
1/5/2012, 05:25 PM
Now I hope Stoops opens the QB competition up and make him earn it andnot just give it to him since he is a 3 year starter!

You aren't serious are you?

olevetonahill
1/5/2012, 05:25 PM
I believe B.S. will have the BEST QB we have on the field next year. If Thats LJ then thats what I want also to.

kevpks
1/5/2012, 05:29 PM
OU should be a the preseason favorite by a wide margin with Landry back. He has some limitations but other than Geno Smith (who has never played a Big XII game), OU will have the best QB in the conference (by far IMO) and many impact players returning on both sides of the ball.

badger
1/5/2012, 05:30 PM
Keith Nichol would disagree with you whole heartedly..

You don't think Keith would have started ahead of Landry after Sam Bradford went down in the BYU game? Or are you just saying that Keith doesn't regret leaving because he caught that epic goalline muscle-in-for-score pass to beat then-undefeated Wisconsin? :)

OUmillenium
1/5/2012, 05:32 PM
hmmm

BillyBall
1/5/2012, 05:34 PM
OU should be a the preseason favorite by a wide margin with Landry back. He has some limitations but other than Geno Smith (who has never played a Big XII game), OU will have the best QB in the conference (by far IMO) and many impact players returning on both sides of the ball.

Are you saying to win the conference or the MNC? Because I can already tell you preseason #1 next year is USC. ESPN can't wait to give them on air fellatio again, it's been too long...

LVSOONER15
1/5/2012, 05:37 PM
Good news for next year. As above posters stated, we will ranked a little higher and will be favored in more games. I just hope he acts like a senior leader and leads us to #8. This also has to be good news for our recieving corps coming in.

Scott D
1/5/2012, 05:38 PM
Are you saying to win the conference or the MNC? Because I can already tell you preseason #1 next year is USC. ESPN can't wait to give them on air fellatio again, it's been too long...

Have to be conference..didn't you hear....the media has already decided the winner of the USC/Oregon game will play the winner of the Alabama/LSU game for the MNC after they play their regular season matchups in the middle of OCTOBER!

kevpks
1/5/2012, 05:38 PM

I meant conference, not MNC. There is no way we are a favorite for the MNC, nor should we be. We are in a mix of 8-10 teams that have a legit shot though IMO.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/5/2012, 05:40 PM
Waiting for the haters to jump off the Schooner. . .

Jacie
1/5/2012, 05:42 PM

Returning Big XII QB's

OU - Landry
TT - Doege
sa*et - Ash & McCoy
KSU - Klein
ISU - Barnett & Jantz
KU - Webb

WV - Smith
TCU - Pachall

MI Sooner
1/5/2012, 05:45 PM

If LSU wins, they're a near-unanimous pre-season #1. If they don't, they're still #1.

Klein returns to KSU, right?

I think OU will be the favorite, followed by KSU and WVU, then TCU, Tex, OkSt, Bay, TTU, ISU, Kansas. The conference has a chance to be really good again next year.

Eielson
1/5/2012, 05:46 PM

Is USC allowed to play for the MNC next year?

kevpks
1/5/2012, 05:47 PM

I think so. Their window is probably pretty small because all of those scholarship limitations are a bout to hit. Then they'll have some five star starters but absolutely no depth.

BillyBall
1/5/2012, 05:48 PM

Yes they are bowl eligible next year, might be a reason Barkley came back.

Eielson
1/5/2012, 05:51 PM
If LSU wins, they're a near-unanimous pre-season #1. If they don't, they're still #1.

Klein returns to KSU, right?

I think OU will be the favorite, followed by KSU and WVU, then TCU, Tex, OkSt, Bay, TTU, ISU, Kansas. The conference has a chance to be really good again next year.

The conference looks worse to me unless Texas can make a comeback. I don't see RGIII or Blackmon/Weeden being replaced or WVU/TCU being an improvement to Mizzou/A&M. Of course, looking at our bowl record this year, we might've been better than we thought.

cvsooner
1/5/2012, 05:57 PM
RGIII's backup looked pretty good when I saw him play. He's going to surprise people. Geno Smith is the real deal too...RGIII's doppelganger. WVU will be tough. Big 12 title game may be us and OU/WVU, assuming of course 'eers can get their legal problems resolved. TCU will be no pushover, and neither will KSU.

Lott's Bandana
1/5/2012, 05:59 PM
Have to be conference..didn't you hear....the media has already decided the winner of the USC/Oregon game will play the winner of the Alabama/LSU game for the MNC after they play their regular season matchups in the middle of OCTOBER!

FWIW
Oregon v. USC is Nov 3rd in LA.

Doesn't matter what happens with other teams. We win our games, we will be just fine. I learned this painful lesson for the millionth time this season.

Eielson
1/5/2012, 06:02 PM

He can either spend a year sitting out due to transfer or spend a year being Landry's backup. That latter sounds better to me...unless of course Bell looks like he will beat him out.

oumartin
1/5/2012, 06:04 PM
I've been hearing drew won't transfer.

soonervegas
1/5/2012, 06:06 PM
The only thing that separates LJ from a 4-0 bowl record now is the Holiday or Alamo....

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 06:07 PM
Yes they are bowl eligible next year, might be a reason Barkley came back.

^This. It will be the first real shot for him at the conference. USC was down his FR year and on probation the other 2. 'SC looks pretty loaded for next year and the only impact from the sanctions will be the upcoming '12 class.

SoonerNomad
1/5/2012, 06:19 PM
FWIW
Oregon v. USC is Nov 3rd in LA.

Doesn't matter what happens with other teams. We win our games, we will be just fine. I learned this painful lesson for the millionth time this season.

Lott is correct. All the preseason trumping up in the world doesn't make you immune from falling from grace if you don't win the games you are supposed to win. LSU and Alabama are where they are because they won the games they were supposed to win. OU would be playing for the title if it had done the same and so would OSU. Oregon is the only team on the outside that lost only one game against a superior team in a less than neutral setting and couldn't recover.

OU was the media darling in August. Next year's media darlings will have to earn their stripes in the fall.

EatLeadCommie
1/5/2012, 06:23 PM
And so it begins. We become preseason favorites, get hyped out the yinyang, and then fail to meet expectations because we have the same weak links in the chain that we've had for years now. Countdown to the meltdown...

EatLeadCommie
1/5/2012, 06:26 PM
RGIII's backup looked pretty good when I saw him play. He's going to surprise people. Geno Smith is the real deal too...RGIII's doppelganger. WVU will be tough. Big 12 title game may be us and OU/WVU, assuming of course 'eers can get their legal problems resolved. TCU will be no pushover, and neither will KSU.
Unless my math is wrong, we're still only going to have 10 teams in the league next year with the addition of TCU and WVU and the loss of aTm and Mizzou. No title game.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 06:27 PM
Lott is correct. All the preseason trumping up in the world doesn't make you immune from falling from grace if you don't win the games you are supposed to win. LSU and Alabama are where they are because they won the games they were supposed to win. OU would be playing for the title if it had done the same and so would OSU. Oregon is the only team on the outside that lost only one game against a superior team in a less than neutral setting and couldn't recover.

OU was the media darling in August. Next year's media darlings will have to earn their stripes in the fall.

Wrong. You could argue OU should have beaten TT and Baylor, but not OSU - so they wouldn't be there. The Ducks also lost to USC at home.

Blue
1/5/2012, 06:28 PM
We should be ranked in the 10-20 range until we prove otherwise.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2012, 06:30 PM
we'll be #6 or #7

Blue
1/5/2012, 06:56 PM
Lsu, Bama, Ore, Usc, georgia, Ark, Osu, Wvu, Fsu, Notre dame, Clem, Mich, Mich st.,Wisc, Cal, and maybe Kstate will be ranked around or higher than us next year in my opinion. I'd be really surprised if we got that much respect to be in the Top 10 preseason.

Lott's Bandana
1/5/2012, 06:58 PM
Lsu, Bama, Ore, Usc, georgia, Ark, Osu, Wvu, Fsu, Notre dame, Clem, Mich, Wisc, Cal, and maybe Kstate will be ranked around or higher than us next year in my opinion. I'd be really surprised if we got that much respect to be in the Top 10 preseason.

That's okay.

We can beat 4 of those teams if the Monkey of 2011 has jumped off.

OkieThunderLion
1/5/2012, 06:59 PM

To a 1-AA?

Otherwise he has to sit a year.

He'd be better off staying.

olevetonahill
1/5/2012, 07:10 PM
That's okay.

We can beat 4 of those teams if the Monkey of 2011 has jumped off.

Wearing his Tee Shirt?

Lott's Bandana
1/5/2012, 07:25 PM
and eating Crab Salad.

AlboSooner
1/5/2012, 07:52 PM
I like the news but it doesn't excite me.
We should win the car meineke bowl next year.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 07:55 PM
Lsu, Bama, Ore, Usc, georgia, Ark, Osu, Wvu, Fsu, Notre dame, Clem, Mich, Mich st.,Wisc, Cal, and maybe Kstate will be ranked around or higher than us next year in my opinion. I'd be really surprised if we got that much respect to be in the Top 10 preseason.

And I'll put as much weight on those "expert" preseason rating next year as I did this last year. I never bought the #1 stuff because we just didn't have the strength in the trenches. I don't see us improving in that area - especially since we lose Alexander and R. Lewis. I hope a bunch of returning guys have breakout years and prove me wrong.

cvsooner
1/5/2012, 08:08 PM
Unless my math is wrong, we're still only going to have 10 teams in the league next year with the addition of TCU and WVU and the loss of aTm and Mizzou. No title game.I didn't mean an actual title game. I meant the winner of that game is likely the winner of the conference.

Eielson
1/5/2012, 08:43 PM
And I'll put as much weight on those "expert" preseason rating next year as I did this last year. I never bought the #1 stuff because we just didn't have the strength in the trenches. I don't see us improving in that area - especially since we lose Alexander and R. Lewis. I hope a bunch of returning guys have breakout years and prove me wrong.

Call me crazy, but I think that this will be RJ Washington's year. He has so much talent and it's a contract year. Things are lining up perfectly for his breakout.

cccasooner2
1/5/2012, 09:04 PM

Trenches were fine, lack of depth/coaches not knowing or ignoring their options at CB and SS, inconsistent to lousy LB play, plus a lack of someone to fill in for Broyles were the keys to the losses. Oherwise, we would be playing LSU. :D

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2012, 09:45 PM
You aren't serious are you?

Yes I am serious. I want to see the best qb we have on the roster as the starter, not just a returning starter. If that is Jones then I can live with that. I am in the thinking that we need every starting position up for grabs and not just inherited from the previous season.

sooneron
1/5/2012, 09:47 PM
Trenches were fine, lack of depth/coaches not knowing or ignoring their options at CB and SS, inconsistent to lousy LB play, plus a lack of someone to fill in for Broyles were the keys to the losses. Oherwise, we would be playing LSU. :D

The trenches were NOT fine. We had NO DT presence this year. At all. Unless you want to count a meaningless bowl game.

nighttrain12
1/5/2012, 09:52 PM
That's not just good news. That's GRRRRRREATTT!

http://www.interactive.org/images/games/tony_the_tiger-lg.jpg

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2012, 09:53 PM
The trenches were NOT fine. We had NO DT presence this year. At all. Unless you want to count a meaningless bowl game.

That is because for every game but Iowa, Texas, Florida state, and Kansa state we played a 3 man front the majority of the game. When we ran our base 4-3 or 4-2-5 defense we had some success with our dl.

Lott's Bandana
1/5/2012, 10:01 PM
Call me crazy, but I think that this will be RJ Washington's year. He has so much talent and it's a contract year. Things are lining up perfectly for his breakout.

What does this mean? I feel so stoopid.

cvsooner
1/5/2012, 10:30 PM
To a 1-AA?

Otherwise he has to sit a year.

He'd be better off staying.Latest rumor I'm hearing: Blake Bell to possibly try playing tight end. That would assuage Drew Allen and get a big body who knows how to move the ball on the field. He could still run the Belldozer. So, take it for what it's worth.

oumartin
1/5/2012, 10:47 PM
No way Blake goes to tight end.

he's our tim tebow without the halo

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 11:00 PM

I highly disagree and I'm talking about trenches on both sides of the ball. An O-line like we had in '08 can control the game. On the D-line, only Alexander and Lewis were dominant and they are both gone. Even if RJ and King step up, the best they do is to replace what we lost. I expect the normal year over year improvement from all the starters, but I don't see any dominance. Maybe some new guys will come in or maybe a coaching shuffle can elevate some players that have been underachieving.

At least we won't have to worry about preseason #1 hype again - bank on that. :cower:

Okie35
1/5/2012, 11:09 PM
I meant conference, not MNC. There is no way we are a favorite for the MNC, nor should we be. We are in a mix of 8-10 teams that have a legit shot though IMO.

If we had a consistent run game. I'd say we'd be up there. We're going to be a top 5-8 team.

8timechamps
1/5/2012, 11:26 PM
Glad to hear LJ is coming back! He definitely struggled after Broyles went down, but it seemed like he started to "feel it" a little more (with the other guys) in the Insight bowl. Given the WR talent we have returning (and the best WR class in the country coming in), he is poised to have a great senior year.

Eielson
1/5/2012, 11:31 PM
What does this mean? I feel so stoopid.

Generally it's referred to as the last year of a professional player's contract. The player works really hard and generally has a great year because that year determines how much money he makes in his next contract. I applied it to RJ because this will determine where/if he is drafted and how much money he will make. He literally could be picked anywhere from the first round to not at all depending on how he plays this year.

Okie35
1/5/2012, 11:34 PM
That is because for every game but Iowa, Texas, Florida state, and Kansa state we played a 3 man front the majority of the game. When we ran our base 4-3 or 4-2-5 defense we had some success with our dl.

Yea we're better in the 4-3. Wayyyy better.

llsooner7
1/6/2012, 04:13 AM
Anybody who thinks we have a better shot at winning this year without LJ is delusional. But I sure hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder. OU should view the year as a shot at redemption.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/6/2012, 07:16 AM
Anybody who thinks we have a better shot at winning this year without LJ is delusional. But I sure hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder. OU should view the year as a shot at redemption.

That's speculation. It's probably not speculation that Oklahoma will lose at least 2 games next season along with him throwing about 14 interceptions just as he has done the previous three years of his career. While the capabilities of Allen and Bell are unknowns, that is not the case with Jones and he has probably peaked given that he is a junior, so it's hard to be opitmistic about next season with him leading the team. I would rather gamble with the unknowns since the known isn't going to do much for Oklahoma next season.

possumfat
1/6/2012, 08:28 AM
I view it as a positive he is staying "if" we can establish a consistent running game.

OULenexaman
1/6/2012, 09:04 AM
This should throw a wrench into the Redskins draft......I was thinking LJ was high on the radar there.

BulverdeSooner
1/6/2012, 10:22 AM
DAMMIT LANDRY, PLEASE LEARN THE FOLLOWING THREE WORDS, THEIR MEANING, AND THEIR APPLICATION...FOR STARTERS... (then you can work on the next 23 words and potentially removal of the cinder blocks.....)

LOOK -- OFF -- SAFETY

AND, PLEASE WRITE THE FOLLOWING PHRASE 23,999 times on the chalk board:

"I will not lock on to one receiver"

PDXsooner
1/6/2012, 11:47 AM
I sure hope Bob Stoops reads these forums, he could save time evaluating the QB competition live and in person, and just come here to find out which QB is better.

Landry coming back is great news, even though he's no Bradford. If he had the D's that Hybl and White had he would have been 11-1 this year...

thecrimsoncrusader
1/6/2012, 11:50 AM
I sure hope Bob Stoops reads these forums, he could save time evaluating the QB competition live and in person, and just come here to find out which QB is better.

Landry coming back is great news, even though he's no Bradford. If he had the D's that Hybl and White had he would have been 11-1 this year...

7 offensive points in the 1st half set the tone for that game as much as the poor defensive showing did. 10-2.

Blue
1/6/2012, 01:50 PM

True. The only game the offense didn't show up for was Ok state.

The Defense is where the problems are.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2012, 01:52 PM
This should throw a wrench into the Redskins draft......I was thinking LJ was high on the radar there.

They may trade up to get RG3. Have to get past the Browns though.

Curly Bill
1/6/2012, 01:53 PM

Hasn't this largely been true for a long time now? Must be mere coincidence. ;)

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2012, 01:59 PM

Wrong. 6 three-and-outs in a row against TT along with 7 points in the first 2.5 quarters. By the time the O started playing ball, the clock was as big an enemy as TT. Very few teams have a defense good enough to be stranded out there like that (maybe only 2). And certainly not ours. The final score was very misleading of how lame the offense was - that loss was truly a team effort.

Blue
1/6/2012, 02:11 PM
Wrong. 6 three-and-outs in a row against TT along with 7 points in the first 2.5 quarters. By the time the O started playing ball, the clock was as big an enemy as TT. Very few teams have a defense good enough to be stranded out there like that (maybe only 2). And certainly not ours. The final score was very misleading of how lame the offense was - that loss was truly a team effort.

38 points should've been more than enough to beat Tech regardless of how. But I do agree the defense prob was tired due to all the 3 and outs.

But I am right in that the defense blows and if they got their act together, Landry could win a title.

OULenexaman
1/6/2012, 02:30 PM
They may trade up to get RG3. Have to get past the Browns though. I'm hearing the Browns really aren't quite sold yet on Colt 45 being their guy....they pose a hurdle.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2012, 02:34 PM
I'm hearing the Browns really aren't quite sold yet on Colt 45 being their guy....they pose a hurdle.

That's what I meant. Have to get ahead of the Browns, so to 2 or 3. Redskins have a TON of picks to trade this year.

picasso
1/6/2012, 02:54 PM
That's speculation. It's probably not speculation that Oklahoma will lose at least 2 games next season along with him throwing about 14 interceptions just as he has done the previous three years of his career. While the capabilities of Allen and Bell are unknowns, that is not the case with Jones and he has probably peaked given that he is a junior, so it's hard to be opitmistic about next season with him leading the team. I would rather gamble with the unknowns since the known isn't going to do much for Oklahoma next season.
How many passes has Blake Bell completed in D-1 football?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2012, 03:00 PM

Exactly. How many fan bases would scoff at the return of the schools ALL TIME Passing leader in Touchdowns & Yards (BY A MILE, literally after next year) for his Senior season.

I really hate us sometimes

picasso
1/6/2012, 03:05 PM
We have a new mix of receivers coming in and I'm pretty confident we can fix the "where's Broyles?" problem.
I know he had some pathetic fumbles at oSu but he also had some pathetic dropped passes.

soonercastor
1/6/2012, 03:05 PM
This is the "safer" route for us, guarantees we'll have an alright season but probably just that. A gamble with LJ leaving could be either a huge disaster or a great success. With LJ we guarantee there won't be a disaster next year. The D was the main problem early on but that change rather quickly after Broyles went down and both sides started sucking. I just hope for a better D.

This is also pretty big, recruiting wise.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 03:14 PM
We have a new mix of receivers coming in and I'm pretty confident we can fix the "where's Broyles?" problem.
I know he had some pathetic fumbles at oSu but he also had some pathetic dropped passes.

With Whaley in there, the first fumble doesn't even happen. If I remember correctly, Finch didn't even put a hand on the blitzing LB. I didn't watch much of the second half, but Landry was playing great in the first half. You can't do much more than hit the WR's in the hands.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/6/2012, 03:16 PM

2. One to an Oklahoma Sooner and the other to the other team. Next.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 03:24 PM
That's speculation. It's probably not speculation that Oklahoma will lose at least 2 games next season

That is absolutely speculation.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/6/2012, 03:25 PM
That is absolutely speculation.

Not based on the previous 3 seasons with Landry at QB.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 03:32 PM
Not based on the previous 3 seasons with Landry at QB.

That doesn't make it a fact.

I'd also like to mention that Sam never lost less than two games.

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2012, 05:10 PM

How many passes did Bradford complete before his first start? What about Thompson, or white or any other first year starter?

Crimsontothecore
1/6/2012, 05:25 PM

This is the most idiotic reasoning I've ever heard. Landry and the depleted offense scored 38 in loses to tech and baylor. The osu game was the only game where the offense didn't score enough to win the game. To ignore Landry's accomplishments over the last three years and say that you would rather "gamble with the unknown" shows that you are totally clueless. Landry is an excellent QB and has already proven he can lead this team to championships with a 3-0 bowl record and a Big12 title. I am so thankful some of you morons aren't making the coaching decisions.

BigTip
1/6/2012, 05:27 PM
Yards given up by Sooner defense

Tech: 572
Baylor: 616
OSU: 495

Gawd damn Landry Jones!!

Exactly. How many fan bases would scoff at the return of the schools ALL TIME Passing leader in Touchdowns & Yards (BY A MILE, literally after next year) for his Senior season.

I really hate us sometimes

There are about 70 FBS teams that would give up a nut for our 10-3 season.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 05:35 PM
How many passes did Bradford complete before his first start? What about Thompson, or white or any other first year starter?

I would take Landry next year over the 2001 Jason White.

I'd probably take 2007 Bradford over Landry...but let's be honest, Bell/Allen aren't going to be able to hold a candle to Bradford. Bradford might just be the best freshman quarterback of all time.

I'd take Landry over 2005 Thompson.

Landry over 2005 Bomar.

Landry over 2001 Hybl.

BigTip
1/6/2012, 05:59 PM
He is capable of doing it. He has had some great games. So get consistent, get some defense to back up his efforts, get lucky on injuries. There's no reason not to do great.

soonercoop1
1/6/2012, 06:02 PM
I would take Landry next year over the 2001 Jason White.

I'd probably take 2007 Bradford over Landry...but let's be honest, Bell/Allen aren't going to be able to hold a candle to Bradford. Bradford might just be the best freshman quarterback of all time.

I'd take Landry over 2005 Thompson.

Landry over 2005 Bomar.

Landry over 2001 Hybl.

Let's be honest that we have little idea how Bell or Allen will do as LJ has gotten all the reps...would like to see LJ do well in the NFL and OU starting a new chapter at QB next season myself...

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2012, 06:17 PM
With Whaley in there, the first fumble doesn't even happen. If I remember correctly, Finch didn't even put a hand on the blitzing LB. I didn't watch much of the second half, but Landry was playing great in the first half. You can't do much more than hit the WR's in the hands.

I love how anyone can say something wouldn't happen with someone else in the game. Maybe it was just fate? Maybe the football gods saw the internal issues and said they needed to get exposed so they will get magnified and corrected? Maybe the losses were just suppose to happen?

Whatever the case of what if may be, the facts are those things happened and nothing can be said or done to change them now! It's just time to let go and move forward!

Vegas Sooner
1/6/2012, 09:16 PM
Good news! We are lucky.

Did anyone hear that TX had to go after a juco QB who only had offers from UAB and Memphis?

Eielson
1/6/2012, 09:21 PM
I love how anyone can say something wouldn't happen with someone else in the game. Maybe it was just fate? Maybe the football gods saw the internal issues and said they needed to get exposed so they will get magnified and corrected? Maybe the losses were just suppose to happen?

Whaley showed on the field that he was a much better pass blocker than Finch. This isn't like saying that Blake Bell is better than Landry even though we've only seen him throw 4 passes.

freshchris05
1/6/2012, 11:36 PM
All I know is Whitney needs to start putting out. Our boy needs to relax...

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 04:05 PM
No way Blake goes to tight end.

he's our tim tebow without the halo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDqTF4v4aY

Jason White's Third Knee
1/7/2012, 07:44 PM
LJ IS a weak scrambler. He throws an occasional high ball.

This bs about him getting rattled is ludicrous. I has seen more drops from money passes this year than ever and the kid is still breaking records.

You people like sam's charisma. His game play was great but I don't see this big drop off in qb play from LJ.

It's the same reason the best looking guy wins the presidency every year. Charisma.

The 3 games OU lost this year could have been cut to one EASILY if our d had given the team a little help. Their
Performance was abysmal.

Get a grip. A heisman caliber qb is starting for OU this year and I
Am glad he doesn't do the little braveheart-esque tirades ala tim tebow.

Freeeeeeedooooooommmmmm!!!!!

Bah!

oumartin
1/7/2012, 08:05 PM
LJ IS a weak scrambler. He throws an occasional high ball.

This bs about him getting rattled is ludicrous. I has seen more drops from money passes this year than ever and the kid is still breaking records.

You people like sam's charisma. His game play was great but I don't see this big drop off in qb play from LJ.

It's the same reason the best looking guy wins the presidency every year. Charisma.

The 3 games OU lost this year could have been cut to one EASILY if our d had given the team a little help. Their
Performance was abysmal.

Get a grip. A heisman caliber qb is starting for OU this year and I
Am glad he doesn't do the little braveheart-esque tirades ala tim tebow.

Freeeeeeedooooooommmmmm!!!!!

Bah!

Winner!

C&CDean
1/7/2012, 08:32 PM
I think I negged about a half-million mother****ers in this thread. I think.

picasso
1/7/2012, 09:11 PM
So true, but Sam didn't have a seasoned vet in front of him. Are you saying Blake Bell is Sam Bradford?

olevetonahill
1/7/2012, 10:10 PM

Be careful Bro. Ya get yer spekker broke By Phil.:very_drunk:

cccasooner2
1/7/2012, 10:32 PM

Good job, then here's a green for ya.

Sabanball
1/8/2012, 12:44 PM
Personally, I hope BB works his a** off in fall camp and beats out LJ for the job. I thought he was a huge disappointment this yr, particularly down the stretch. Bell is your future and with what little I've seen of him I've been very impressed, especially his running ability.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 12:48 PM
I hope your Team beats LSU but I'm not holding my breath till it happens.

BTW....there is zero way BB beats out Landry. If Landry can't get it done on the field....you might see The Dozer get some snaps. That's kind of what happens when your 12,000 yard passing QB returns to School for his Senior year instead of making a move towards his childhood dream of playing in the NFL.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2012, 12:51 PM
Personally, I hope BB works his a** off in fall camp and beats out LJ for the job. I thought he was a huge disappointment this yr, particularly down the stretch. Bell is your future and with what little I've seen of him I've been very impressed, especially his running ability.

What little you saw of him was all of it. And it was only his running ability - on the few plays we tried something different, it was obvious we didn't have much practice time.

Eielson
1/8/2012, 01:05 PM
Just because Bell can run on the goal line doesn't mean he beat out Drew Allen. We're gonna play the best passer, and I'm pretty sure that makes Bell our third guy.

AlboSooner
1/8/2012, 01:41 PM
Yards given up by Sooner defense

Tech: 572
Baylor: 616
OSU: 495

Gawd damn Landry Jones!!

There are about 70 FBS teams that would give up a nut for our 10-3 season.

I hope that OU is not part of that contingent of eternally loser programs that fill bad bowl games each and every year. Meaning, I hope Ou is not in the ilk to Iowa, Michigan, Okie St, AM, Tennessee, Notre Dame etc. I hope OU is part of that elite groups that is not happy with a 10-3 season, but aims to win it all each year.

In those losses, Jones had 5tds and 6 turnovers. Those 5tds were against Tech. He didn't throw a Td in the other two losses. Let's not forget the numerous three and outs, which forced the D to stay on the field for a long time.

Look, it's a good deal he's back, but if we're not going to win the NC next year, forgive me if a yawn at the news that LJ is coming back. He's ruining the team balance by staying longer that expected because the guys below him are going to be upset. LJ had three years to win NC. He is going to leave Drew Allen only one year left to play. Pretty selfish imo.

AlboSooner
1/8/2012, 01:45 PM

This is a big deal. You win one internet coin.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2012, 02:04 PM
I hope that OU is not part of that contingent of eternally loser programs that fill bad bowl games each and every year. Meaning, I hope Ou is not in the ilk to Iowa, Michigan, Okie St, AM, Tennessee, Notre Dame etc. I hope OU is part of that elite groups that is not happy with a 10-3 season, but aims to win it all each year.

And how many happy campers have you noticed here? Did Stoops seem thrilled with the season? I don't see what you have to worry about.

BTW, Michigan went to a BCS bowl this year, but that's not important now :P

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 02:21 PM
He is going to leave Drew Allen only one year left to play. Pretty selfish imo.

Yet...for all you know....this is a good thing.