PDA

View Full Version : Barry J. Sanders update

badger
1/5/2012, 04:53 PM
That weeping and nashing of teeth sound you hear from Stillwater's direction has a purpose :stunned:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20120105_231_0_OKLAHO310587)

I am not surprised in the least, to tell you the truth. OSU once made his daddy's recruiting tape magically disappear so no other school would recruit him, so there's really no obligation on the son's part to continue his father's legacy, especially one of being the school's only Heisman and such.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2012, 04:55 PM
If you go on OP.com and even GoPokes you will see that most wish him the best at Stanford as we know that an education at Stanford is one of the best in the entire nation. There aren't that many upset at all. He'll always be a Cowboy at heart but he's got to make the best decision for him and that imo, is Stanford.

cvsooner
1/5/2012, 04:56 PM
Heh. Stanford no less. I love it.

BillyBall
1/5/2012, 05:06 PM
As a Charger alum, I am proud of his decision...

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 05:09 PM
I can ride my bike over to The Farm an watch him play!

Boomer.....
1/5/2012, 05:11 PM
There would be a lot of pressure and expectations for him at OSU. Probably the right decision.

SoonerNutt
1/5/2012, 05:25 PM
Only the most hard-core orange homer would take Stillwater over Palo Alto.

SoonerNutt
1/5/2012, 05:29 PM
If you go on OP.com and even GoPokes you will see that most wish him the best at Stanford as we know that an education at Stanford is one of the best in the entire nation. There aren't that many upset at all. He'll always be a Cowboy at heart but he's got to make the best decision for him and that imo, is Stanford.

I think that you are right. Most oSu fans are still too elated over the results of this season to get down about a recruit, even if his name is Barry Sanders.

Plus, this article is nothing but heresay and speculation. It may be true or not, but even if true, it is 2nd-hand. I wouldn't put any stock into it until he makes a commitment to somewhere.

DarrellZero
1/5/2012, 05:29 PM
I am not surprised in the least, to tell you the truth. OSU once made his daddy's recruiting tape magically disappear so no other school would recruit him, so there's really no obligation on the son's part to continue his father's legacy, especially one of being the school's only Heisman and such.

I've never really thought of it that way, but you're right.

Pat Jones loves to tell this story, but no one ever considers the fact that it wasn't really fair to Barry to limit his college choices. Worked out OK for him anyway I suppose.

olevetonahill
1/5/2012, 05:33 PM
If he is SMART enough to get into Stanford then hes Smart enough to stay the hell out of Stoolwater

LVSOONER15
1/5/2012, 05:43 PM
Only the most hard-core orange homer would take Stillwater over Palo Alto.

That would equal dumba$$ then

budbarrybob
1/5/2012, 05:53 PM

Yeah. What are the pokes gonna say, he's gone. I really hope you don't believe that he chose Stanford for the academics... He would go down in the annals of college football for not living up to daddy's accomplishments at OSU and would always have to live under his shadow. Don't get me wrong, Stanford is a great school, but his motives IMHO aren't the quality education. Done in 3 yrs (without) degree if he is any good.

cvsooner
1/5/2012, 06:01 PM
If he is SMART enough to get into Stanford then hes Smart enough to stay the hell out of StoolwaterThis.

Ton Loc
1/5/2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah. What are the pokes gonna say, he's gone. I really hope you don't believe that he chose Stanford for the academics... He would go down in the annals of college football for not living up to daddy's accomplishments at OSU and would always have to live under his shadow. Don't get me wrong, Stanford is a great school, but his motives IMHO aren't the quality education. Done in 3 yrs (without) degree if he is any good.

Assumptions based on nothing but what their own feelings would be if they were in that position. It is the backbone of every member that a message board is built upon.

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 10:25 AM
Here's a question for you guys. If you had a son who was recruited by both OU and Stanford, which direction would you favor (all else equal)?

As much as I love OU, I'd have to say Stanford.

I'd love to know what ACT or SAT Sanders was trying to achieve. There's always talk about how the Stanford athletes are great at academics but they never mention that in many cases this is simply relative to other football players.

My guess is that if Sanders was pushing to get a certain score he is nowhere near what would be required for a normal student to get a look from Stanford and he's probably just about average for OU and OSU - which is definitely far above the average for an OU or OSU football player.

I looked it up. Both of these numbers are dated but it gives a good idea. The average SAT score for Stanford football players in 1997 was 1108. I'm assuming this was on a 1600 scale. That translates roughly to a 24 ACT score. The average ACT for all OU students is 25.8.

No dissing Stanford football players. They're clearly well above other D1 school football players but they're not exactly brainiacs either. (Some are of course.)

BulverdeSooner
1/6/2012, 10:48 AM
If my son were equivalently recruited and offered by OU and Stanford --All things aside --factors would include total economics (including travel costs) and educational discipline desired against offerings from each U. There are some things that would likely be a lot better on the educational front if they were "derived" at Stanford, but I don't necessarily think that the difference in most standard degree fields is that drastically different. I'd wager a bet that the OSU Vocational Agricultural program has got Stanford's beat! Definitely not that there's anything wrong with agribusiness or ranching....which I'd love to be able to do for a living and which I tremendously appreciate.

Sooners78
1/6/2012, 10:49 AM
Here's a question for you guys. If you had a son who was recruited by both OU and Stanford, which direction would you favor (all else equal)?

I'd love to know what ACT or SAT Sanders was trying to achieve. There's always talk about how the Stanford athletes are great at academics but they never mention that in many cases this is simply relative to other football players.

My guess is that if Sanders was pushing to get a certain score he is nowhere near what would be required for a normal student to get a look from Stanford and he's probably just about average for OU and OSU - which is definitely far above the average for an OU or OSU football player.

I looked it up. Both of these numbers are dated but it gives a good idea. The average SAT score for Stanford football players in 1997 was 1108. I'm assuming this was on a 1600 scale. That translates roughly to a 24 ACT score. The average ACT for all OU students is 25.8.

No dissing Stanford football players. They're clearly well above other D1 school football players but they're not exactly brainiacs either. (Some are of course.)

What is that based on? Do they add the reading and math? Now, there is also a writing score. I don't know because I only had to take the ACT when I went to college.

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 10:54 AM
What is that based on? Do they add the reading and math? Now, there is also a writing score. I don't know because I only had to take the ACT when I went to college.

I'm pretty sure this number was prior to or did not include the writing component. The conversion chart I used was without the writing component.

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 11:04 AM
If my son were equivalently recruited and offered by OU and Stanford --All things aside --factors would include total economics (including travel costs) and educational discipline desired against offerings from each U. There are some things that would likely be a lot better on the educational front if they were "derived" at Stanford, but I don't necessarily think that the difference in most standard degree fields is that drastically different. I'd wager a bet that the OSU Vocational Agricultural program has got Stanford's beat! Definitely not that there's anything wrong with agribusiness or ranching....which I'd love to be able to do for a living and which I tremendously appreciate.

If nothing else, that "Stanford" name means a lot to potential employers. Just look at Supreme Court Justices. I believe they're all Ivy League (and yes I know Stanford is not Ivy). Did they get a better education at Ivy League schools? Are they smarter than your brilliant state school grad? In many cases no they just happened to have parents who could afford to send them there. Nevertheless, they have the brand name on their resume.

I was a EE at OU. Out of curiosity one day I looked through the degree requirements / class descriptions for EE at various schools. Most (including some Ivy's) looked a lot like OU. Cal Tech, on the other hand, seemed like they covered the first three years of EE in one year and the last three were grad level classes and classes on some cutting edge things (quantum computing) that you probably don't get at most schools.

Anyway, apologies for derailing this thread. I'll get back to talking football.

PrideMom
1/6/2012, 11:12 AM
Stanford is a great choice! He won't have to constantly hear about how great his father was every time he steps on the field. He already knows how great his father was, but wants to make his own records and name. I guess T Boone couldn't pay him enough.

Shakadoodoo
1/6/2012, 11:30 AM
The only way the decision on which college to go to is even relevant is if he does not plan on going to the next level to play football. Even then I really do not think it matters as long as he gets a degree with a high grade point average. I'm sure people will disagree but one needs more than a degree to make it in today's job market. There are other personal attributes one must have such as self discipline, motivation, dedication, ect... That employers are looking for. Not just what college you graduated from. I have a friend who was pissed because another friend of mine who graduated from Langston got a the job he was applying for. He felt since he graduated from TU that he should have got the job first. But his work ethic is nowhere close to my other friend who went to Langston. I think the only advantage of going to a school like Stanford is the people he may meet while in college but a go getter will network with the right people where ever they go to school.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2012, 11:30 AM
If nothing else, that "Stanford" name means a lot to potential employers. Just look at Supreme Court Justices. I believe they're all Ivy League (and yes I know Stanford is not Ivy). Did they get a better education at Ivy League schools? Are they smarter than your brilliant state school grad? In many cases no they just happened to have parents who could afford to send them there. Nevertheless, they have the brand name on their resume.

I was a EE at OU. Out of curiosity one day I looked through the degree requirements / class descriptions for EE at various schools. Most (including some Ivy's) looked a lot like OU. Cal Tech, on the other hand, seemed like they covered the first three years of EE in one year and the last three were grad level classes and classes on some cutting edge things (quantum computing) that you probably don't get at most schools.

Anyway, apologies for derailing this thread. I'll get back to talking football.

I was a EE at OU too (right after electricity was invented) and it was a solid program. I moved out to Stanford to get a masters in computer science and it was at a whole different level. Yikes, that was tough!

Oldnslo
1/6/2012, 12:30 PM

Yeah, like I always root for Hofstra, since that's where my Dad went.

SoonerorLater
1/6/2012, 12:55 PM
If academics are of chief concern I would never critisize a kid for going to a school like Stanford. You never know what the future may bring and a degree form Stanford carries a lot of clout. Looked at another way what is the value of a 4 year scholarship to Stanford compared to OU or most of the other "Football Schools"?

Dan Thompson
1/6/2012, 01:06 PM
I thought his dad wanted his son to get his Turf Management degree. Now I guess he will get it something worthwhile like Finance.

CowboyMRW
1/6/2012, 02:37 PM
I thought his dad wanted his son to get his Turf Management degree. Now I guess he will get it something worthwhile like Finance.

I've got some friends that are doing extremely well with their Turf Management degree from OSU. Sometimes I wish that is what I had majored in as I would love to design and work at golf courses

CowboyMRW
1/6/2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah, like I always root for Hofstra, since that's where my Dad went.

Marques Colston won me a FFL championship is rookie year since no one knew anything about him.

picasso
1/6/2012, 02:56 PM
If we aren't recruiting the kid then why do we need an update?

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2012, 03:17 PM
The update is that we're still not recruiting him. :D

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 03:20 PM
I was a EE at OU too (right after electricity was invented) and it was a solid program. I moved out to Stanford to get a masters in computer science and it was at a whole different level. Yikes, that was tough!

Was Zelby there when you were at OU? It's been 17 years but I still have no good words to say about that man. One time I did a long derivation on a test and had the exact answer he was looking for but took it a step further by finding a common denominator and in the process confused an 'a' with an 'A'. He gave me zero points. When I pointed that out to him in his office he basically said, "I don't buy that." Are you kidding me? Look at my damn work ahole. He probably thought I changed the answer after getting it back but I shouldn't be blamed for him not photocopying the tests before returning them.

I have a MSCS as well. I found the MSCS to be much easier than the BSEE but I wasn't burned out, was a much more serious student, and had relevant experience at the time so that was probably as much of a difference as anything. Plus, I had a job where I could do homework sometimes at work and had all the computing power I needed (which back then was still relevant).

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 03:37 PM
The only way the decision on which college to go to is even relevant is if he does not plan on going to the next level to play football.

Unless you're Adrian Peterson or a handful of guys like him, planning on going to the NFL with no backup plan is a gamble. You look through top 10 rankings out of high school and a number of those guys will not make it to the NFL.

Sanders is by no means a lock for the NFL even taking injuries out of the equation.

EatLeadCommie
1/6/2012, 04:05 PM
Wasn't he one of our recruiting guests during the OU-TX game last year and he was in a Longhorn hat? Screw him.

We got the best player on Heritage anyway.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2012, 04:08 PM
Was Zelby there when you were at OU? ...

Gosh, that name sounds familiar, but it's been so long. Was he Auschwitz surviver (seem to remember someone like that). I'm just too old. I didn't hang around school much other than class because I worked the whole time out at NSSL on the doppler radar equipment.

freshchris05
1/6/2012, 04:08 PM
I don't buy the hype of this kid, i've watched tape and seen him live. If his name was Lyle Lovett Jr. his choices would be alot more slim. Someone tell me one thing he does really well besides having the name Sanders.

8timechamps
1/6/2012, 04:39 PM
There would be a lot of pressure and expectations for him at OSU. Probably the right decision.

I agree. There is no way he could step out of the shadow of his pop. Not to mention he's going to get a great education.

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 05:10 PM
Gosh, that name sounds familiar, but it's been so long. Was he Auschwitz surviver (seem to remember someone like that). I'm just too old. I didn't hang around school much other than class because I worked the whole time out at NSSL on the doppler radar equipment.

Yes, that is he.

DarrellZero
1/6/2012, 05:21 PM
Was Zelby there when you were at OU? It's been 17 years but I still have no good words to say about that man. One time I did a long derivation on a test and had the exact answer he was looking for but took it a step further by finding a common denominator and in the process confused an 'a' with an 'A'. He gave me zero points. When I pointed that out to him in his office he basically said, "I don't buy that." Are you kidding me? Look at my damn work ahole. He probably thought I changed the answer after getting it back but I shouldn't be blamed for him not photocopying the tests before returning them.

How many prospective EEs ended up with business degrees because of Zelby?

Thankfully, he's now listed as emeritus faculty.

oudavid1
1/6/2012, 05:25 PM

Stanford

EatLeadCommie
1/6/2012, 05:48 PM

I don't think the SAT and ACT are very comparable, but keep in mind that in 1997 the SAT was a more difficult test than it is now and was also scored more stringently. When they changed the way the SAT was scored, it apparently raised the average by about 100 points. I also doubt that the average ACT score for OU football players is as high as it is for OU students.

Shakadoodoo
1/6/2012, 06:09 PM
Unless you're Adrian Peterson or a handful of guys like him, planning on going to the NFL with no backup plan is a gamble. You look through top 10 rankings out of high school and a number of those guys will not make it to the NFL.

Sanders is by no means a lock for the NFL even taking injuries out of the equation.

I agree 100%. Although I would be willing to bet his expectations are set pretty high. We may not see him as an Adrian Peterson but I'm sure he feels he is a NFL caliber player. You can tell by the school he is choosing from. In any case my main point was that I think people give what school you graduate from to much merit. Sure, an Ivy League school may be harder but the reason many of those kids may have more of an advantage is because they come from influential families with plenty of money. Not so much because what school they graduated from. I have never done any research on the subject nor am I interested enough to do so, but I would be willing to bet that a kid that has as much money and comes from a family of influence like the average kid at an Ivy League school, would do just as good with a degree from OU, OSU, Langston, Pan Handle State ect... As I said before - I think the main benefit of going to a school like that is the rich and influential kids who one will be able to network with. And with a name like Barry Sanders Jr - he should have no problem rubbing elbows with those type of people anyway.

Peeb
1/6/2012, 06:37 PM
I'm happy for him.

From what I've heard, he's no Barry Sanders Sr., so his tenure in Stillwater would have been uncomfortable at best. I've been to the campus at Palo Alto and it is AWESOME. Getting a top-notch education on Stanford's dime, beautiful campus and beautiful weather, no pressure to be just like Daddy, no recurring annual game with Dad's alma mater, possibility to create his own legacy. Sounds perfect.

God bless him, and I wish him the best.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 06:46 PM
From what I've heard, he's no Barry Sanders Sr.

Nobody is, but I've heard he's pretty incredible.

DarrellZero
1/6/2012, 07:01 PM
I've been to Stanford's campus several times, and I have to say I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

It's nice, but nothing to get in a twist about. A lot of tan buildings with red roofs.

Campus-wise, OU compares favorably.

Sabanball
1/6/2012, 07:07 PM
With the dog and frisbee O that State runs I wouldn't want to be in STillwater either if I was an elite rb prospect. At least Stanford runs more of what resembles a pro-set that granted is heavy on the pass but nonetheless he'll definitely develop better in their system and get more touches than he would staying at home.

En_Fuego
1/6/2012, 07:14 PM
Who cares really ?

Peeb
1/6/2012, 08:25 PM
With the dog and frisbee O that State runs I wouldn't want to be in STillwater either if I was an elite rb prospect. At least Stanford runs more of what resembles a pro-set that granted is heavy on the pass but nonetheless he'll definitely develop better in their system and get more touches than he would staying at home.Never heard that phrase. Awesome!

Shakadoodoo
1/6/2012, 08:32 PM
When I went on my recruiting trip to Stillwater they took me to a club called Tumbleweeds. There was me and one other black dude there and he had a jerry curl with a cowboy hat on that had a grease ring all the way around it. Hell, I would choose Stanford in a heartbeat!

cleller
1/6/2012, 08:46 PM
Stanford is the, "Look at me: I'm smart, yet hipper than those Harvard and Yale kids-and we have football" school.

oSuJeff1997
1/9/2012, 04:48 PM
Pat Jones loves to tell this story, but no one ever considers the fact that it wasn't really fair to Barry to limit his college choices. Worked out OK for him anyway I suppose.

Yeah - Pat loves to tell this story, but that's all it really is. Just a stupid story.

If you're telling me that you think some missing video tape is all that kept OU or other schools in the region from offering Barry, then I don't know what to tell you.

He was an All-State RB and KR in Wichita... you know... the one that is about a 3 hour drive from OU's campus? You're telling Barry Switzer didn't have a single HS coaching contact in the entire state of Kansas that would have said, "hey - you need to send someone up here to look at this Barry Sanders kid."

Because the premise of this ridiculous video tape story is that if you saw him play, you would instantly know that he was a star. Well why couldn't any of Switzer's contacts in Kansas see the same thing?

The answer is because that story is just a stupid story that Jones like to tell.

The truth is that OU, like the other "big" schools in the region, didn't offer Sanders because he was undersized and short compared to the other "big time" RB recruits at the time. In fact, I think I've heard Switzer say as much when talking about him.

cherokeebrewer
1/9/2012, 05:59 PM
The truth is that OU, like the other "big" schools in the region, didn't offer Sanders because he was undersized and short compared to the other "big time" RB recruits at the time. In fact, I think I've heard Switzer say as much when talking about him.

The poke has it right. That is the truth, even Merv would agree...

Salt City Sooner
1/9/2012, 06:39 PM
I remember Gary Barnett telling his Sanders recruiting story; he had an assistant ranting & raving about Barry, & just wouldn't shut up about him until GB agreed to go have an in-home w/ BS. GB flies out to Wichita, goes to BS's home, rings the doorbell & BS answers. Barnett took one look at him, turned around, walked away, & flew back to Boulder, convinced that his assistant (whom he ripped up one side & down the other when he got back) had just severely punked him.

8timechamps
1/9/2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah - Pat loves to tell this story, but that's all it really is. Just a stupid story.

If you're telling me that you think some missing video tape is all that kept OU or other schools in the region from offering Barry, then I don't know what to tell you.

He was an All-State RB and KR in Wichita... you know... the one that is about a 3 hour drive from OU's campus? You're telling Barry Switzer didn't have a single HS coaching contact in the entire state of Kansas that would have said, "hey - you need to send someone up here to look at this Barry Sanders kid."

Because the premise of this ridiculous video tape story is that if you saw him play, you would instantly know that he was a star. Well why couldn't any of Switzer's contacts in Kansas see the same thing?

The answer is because that story is just a stupid story that Jones like to tell.

Exactly. I don't think even Jones knew what he was getting, and I don't think he was too worried at the time seeing how Thurman was working out quite well.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 07:34 PM

So he is going to be a Brain Surgeon and probably ride the pine for the education?

DarrellZero
1/9/2012, 07:41 PM

Dude, I'm just repeating what your coach said, which is, "Hey look, I screwed over Barry Sanders to make sure we got him."

I never said that Switzer would have recruited him.

If the stupid story won't go away, it's because your former Aggie coach keeps telling it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 07:44 PM

Not only that....as we all know....the way Barry treated his career in the NFL and the way he acts towards oSu fans when they tell him they were in School when he was there and how proud they were to be a Poke when he was there and the way he reacts to said fans about it all....it makes you feel like he might have been dropped on his head as a child. Who the hell leaves the NFL like he did acting like none of it mattered? Also...I noticed he cared enough to be at the Army Game to see his Son play but when his Son was on camera and picking Stanford.....he wasn't at his side acting like a proud Father. I tell you....I have really tried to figure out why he acts so despondent when people who are real fans of his tell him how much he meant to them and how they rooted for him to succeed all those years and he sits there and acts like he has no idea what the hell you are talking about. He's very strange IMHO.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 07:50 PM
Dude, I'm just repeating what your coach said, which is, "Hey look, I screwed over Barry Sanders to make sure we got him."

If the stupid story won't go away, it's because your former Aggie coach keeps telling it.

Good point. Barry acts like he was never even at oSu when you talk to him and I was surprised he even showed up in Stoolwater to accept the recognition they gave him a few years ago. If I was a Poke Fan and he treated me that way he does most fans.....I'm not sure I would even give a **** about the time he was there. I don't get his attitude towards his fans when they try to tell him what he meant to them. It's really weird.

DarrellZero
1/9/2012, 08:05 PM
Good point. Barry acts like he was never even at oSu when you talk to him and I was surprised he even showed up in Stoolwater to accept the recognition they gave him a few years ago. If I was a Poke Fan and he treated me that way he does most fans.....I'm not sure I would even give a **** about the time he was there. I don't get his attitude towards his fans when they try to tell him what he meant to them. It's really weird.

Yeah, Sanders is a different breed of cat, that's for sure.

But I'll say this for him: he never gave less than 100% on the field and he never acted like a jackass while doing it.

StoopTroup
1/9/2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, Sanders is a different breed of cat, that's for sure.

But I'll say this for him: he never gave less than 100% on the field and he never acted like a jackass while doing it.

That is true. When he was on the field...he seemed like it was him against the World.

An amazing running back. Even if you watch the tapes of him playing....he is simply amazing.

picasso
1/9/2012, 11:49 PM
I saw his Heisman in Les Miles' office in '02. Then I whizzed in the corner.

StoopTroup
1/10/2012, 12:38 AM
You would have thought it would have been in the Boone Pickens Trophy Room.

Seamus
1/10/2012, 02:59 AM
I've been to Stanford's campus several times, and I have to say I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

It's nice, but nothing to get in a twist about. A lot of tan buildings with red roofs.

Campus-wise, OU compares favorably.

Agree. I live nearby, and meh.

Pepperdine is awesome. Oregon is awesome. Stanford, not so much.

picasso
1/10/2012, 09:12 AM
You would have thought it would have been in the Boone Pickens Trophy Room.
It was actually in the little entrance of said office. I got to go into all the coaches offices except for Holder's.
And of course I was wearing my OU Titleist hat. Which nearly cost me my life.

jkjsooner
1/10/2012, 10:57 AM
I don't think the SAT and ACT are very comparable, but keep in mind that in 1997 the SAT was a more difficult test than it is now and was also scored more stringently.

They test different things. One is slightly more of an intelligence test and the other is slightly more of an achievement test. An individual might score better on one or the other so at the individual level converting one to the other is not very accurate. However, when comparing a fairly large sample of students (which I was doing) a conversion is meaningful.

I also doubt that the average ACT score for OU football players is as high as it is for OU students.

I stated just that. In no way was I saying that OU football players were as smart (on average) as OU students or Stanford football players.

My point was that when we're talking about football scholarships, things are dumbed down quite a lot. Let's be honest. There are a lot of guys on OU's football team who are not college material and there are plenty of guys on Stanford's football team who would be average students at OU.

When people say that Stanford players are real students then that's appropriate as most choose Stanford for more reasons than just football. When they imply that they're all brilliant then they're going overboard.

Anyway, that's a great choice for Barry Sanders for both academic and football reasons. Good luck to him.

SoonerNutt
1/10/2012, 12:01 PM
Regarding the Sanders video tape story; It's a true story, but not the whole story. BS was under-sized, and alot of schools overlooked him. Both Pat Jones and Switzer have told the story many times, which has given it a legend status, but Switzer uses it as an excuse. He could have easily sent a coach up there to take a look and find out everything he needed to know. A videotape wasn't going to make us offer. It wasn't the first or last time OU has missed out an a recruit. Wes Welker, Justin Blackmon, Weedon, and on and on. You only have so many scholarships, and you have to make choices.

A similar legend that always cracks me up is the one where Stoops visits Ryan Reynolds in Vegas, sees DeMarco Murray dunk a basketball, and instantly offers him. Dumbass story. Murray was a 4-star RB. He wasn't some unknown prospect hiding under a rock. Everybody knew about him, and Stoops didn't accidentally stumble upon him while strolling through a random HS gym. And dunking a basketball has nothing to do with being a good RB. Yeah, it's impressive for a short guy, and I'm sure Stoops was impressed by it, but it was not a gamble to offer Murray by any stretch, and Stoops already knew that. Coaches like to tell stories, but they don't always like to tell the whole story because it's not as funny or entertaining.

regarding the Stanford campus; It's not a gorgeous campus, but what sets it apart from oSu is its setting. Palo Alto is gorgeous, especially in comparison to Stillwater, OK. There is no contest in that regard.

EatLeadCommie
1/10/2012, 04:09 PM
Agree. I live nearby, and meh.

Pepperdine is awesome. Oregon is awesome. Stanford, not so much.
With Stanford, you have 2 things. First, superior academics. Second, you get to reside in the bay area, which in spite all of its deserved stereotypes, is an incredible area close to a lot of awesome things.

oSuJeff1997
1/10/2012, 05:58 PM

Yeah - I think you're missing the point of the story.

He doesn't tell the story to show how he "screwed" Sanders, which isn't true anyway.

And regarding the premise of the post - I certainly don't fault the young Sanders for going to Stanford. As has been pointed out, they're a great school, great location, etc.

The young Sanders is going to have a hard enough time "living up" to an impossible standard his dad set. Might as well blaze your own trail and go somewhere else... not the place where your dad set the impossible standard.

47straight
1/10/2012, 06:58 PM
He doesn't tell the story to show how he "screwed" Sanders, which isn't true anyway.

We know it's not the intended point of the story. But the tellers of the story miss the hidden point.

Because you are aggies, probably.