PDA

View Full Version : Ronnell Officially Gone

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 03:35 PM
But Ronnell is officially headed to the NFL draft..

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2012, 03:36 PM
Duplicate thread alert due to this title in 3....2...1

oh and

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp196/rickyzwalters/Tombstone/612capture_tombstone03.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 03:38 PM
Is the new one better?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 03:39 PM
"After meeting with my family and coaches and gathering input from various resources, including the NFL, I’ve carefully weighed my options and have decided to forego my senior year at OU and enter the 2012 NFL Draft. My time at OU has produced many fond memories and I hope to keep close ties with my friends, teammates, coaches, football staff and everyone at OU who has helped me along the way. I’d like to personally thank the University of Oklahoma and Coach Stoops for giving me the opportunity to be a Sooner and play on Saturdays in front of the best fans in the country. Without the support of my coaches, my family and so many others, I wouldn’t be where I am today. I’ll definitely miss my time in Norman, but I’m looking forward to what the future holds. Boomer Sooner!".

badger
1/5/2012, 03:39 PM
Where'd you find that? Also, is there an official NFL page of early declarations?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 03:40 PM
Kenny Mossman

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 03:41 PM
And I don't think there is an official NFL departure list

oumartin
1/5/2012, 03:42 PM
He did get to play at Boone pickens twice.

They are the best fans

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2012, 03:43 PM
He played there once!

oumartin
1/5/2012, 03:45 PM
Dan it, he was ineligible this year weren't he. Lol

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2012, 03:50 PM
Is the new one better?

Much

badger
1/5/2012, 03:51 PM
Kenny Mossman

Isn't twitter fun? :D

Breadburner
1/5/2012, 03:53 PM
Seems like he just got here.....

starclassic tama
1/5/2012, 04:00 PM
one of the most talented defensive players during the stoops era. too bad he didn't end up being one of the best

SoonerInFortSmith
1/5/2012, 04:02 PM
I would gladly trade Anthony Spencer for The Hammer!

rekamrettuB
1/5/2012, 04:48 PM
Good luck Ronnell. Tear it up.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2012, 04:50 PM
one of the most talented defensive players during the stoops era. too bad he didn't end up being one of the best

This story is playing out a lot like Wilkerson's did isn't it?

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 05:12 PM
Stoops seemed to be pushing him toward the NFL pretty hard. I'm guessing the odds of him getting academically reinstated and staying that way were pretty slim.

badger
1/5/2012, 05:27 PM
More on Hammer's departure here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120105_92_0_Oklaho822805)

“Ronnell leaves with our best wishes,” Stoops said in the statement. “He managed several challenges while playing here, but always worked hard and gave us his very best effort. He has the skill to be a successful NFL player and we feel he'll do well there. As with any of our players who reach for the top level, he won't have any bigger fans than those of us at OU.”

LVSOONER15
1/5/2012, 05:52 PM
Good luck RL.

Landthief 1972
1/5/2012, 06:05 PM
Stoops seemed to be pushing him toward the NFL pretty hard. I'm guessing the odds of him getting academically reinstated and staying that way were pretty slim.

I think it had more to do with family issues than academics. Bob has mentioned before that Ronnell had family problems that made the bowl game seem unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Godspeed, Hammer.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 06:17 PM
I think it had more to do with family issues than academics. Bob has mentioned before that Ronnell had family problems that made the bowl game seem unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Godspeed, Hammer.

Could be the family issues caused the academics. I do recall we waited until the first week of the season to know if he could even play this year because of grades (or lack of "progress"). Then he finished up missing the OSU game that determined the big12 title and the bowl game due to class/grades. I don't believe he really had a choice to return, but maybe I'm just a cynic. I don't accept everything Stoops says at face value.

budbarrybob
1/5/2012, 06:39 PM
I don't think in recent memory anyone at OU had the hype/love and affection that RL has had while accomplishing so little. Anyone? I wish we could have found his spot on D earlier. Hope he doesn't get bit by the injury bug that seems to plague us...

Wishboned
1/5/2012, 06:45 PM
Whatever happened to this guy...

I think you all need to lay off that dope your smoking. He's a great player and could be awesome at the next level. He's isn't a first rounder or second rounder in next year's draft though. He needs to stay so he has the potential to make even more money.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/5/2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone know what his "family issues" are that the press and Stoops keep mentioning?

Soonerwake
1/5/2012, 09:15 PM
Could be the family issues caused the academics. I do recall we waited until the first week of the season to know if he could even play this year because of grades (or lack of "progress"). Then he finished up missing the OSU game that determined the big12 title and the bowl game due to class/grades. I don't believe he really had a choice to return, but maybe I'm just a cynic. I don't accept everything Stoops says at face value.

So, do you expect Stoops to divulge all of Lewis' dirty laundry so that you and others will "accept what he says at face value"? Maybe Lewis' personal issues are "personal" and not any of our business. The kid played hard for 3 years and I thank him for his effort for the Sooners. I wish him well.

oumartin
1/5/2012, 09:20 PM
doesn't he have like 5 kids or is that stereotyping?

picasso
1/5/2012, 09:29 PM
I don't think in recent memory anyone at OU had the hype/love and affection that RL has had while accomplishing so little. Anyone? I wish we could have found his spot on D earlier. Hope he doesn't get bit by the injury bug that seems to plague us...
I still don't understand this line of thinking. He was a star on our less than average special teams. He had the speed and strength to run down any QB and he did it often like Taylor Martinez last season. He made some great plays at Texas and k-state this year yet folks still say he accomplished very little. Mmm k.

sooneron
1/5/2012, 09:32 PM
It isn't if he has 5 kids.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2012, 11:11 PM
So, do you expect Stoops to divulge all of Lewis' dirty laundry so that you and others will "accept what he says at face value"? Maybe Lewis' personal issues are "personal" and not any of our business. The kid played hard for 3 years and I thank him for his effort for the Sooners. I wish him well.

I expect Stoops to be diplomatic for a player that has played well. It's unusual for Stoops to push a player to the NFL like that unless he is guaranteed top, 1st round pick which Lewis is not. I'm just saying we have enough public information to put the pieces together - Lewis was not college material (academically). And Stoops could not be happy that Lewis was unavailable for the most important game of the season (OSU). It would seem logical for OU to get the scholly back and Lewis to go get a paycheck instead of going through the same drama next season. And I don't expect Stoops to go into all that, nor do I consider it dirty laundry.

ashley
1/6/2012, 08:32 AM
Grades

Curly Bill
1/6/2012, 08:42 AM
Good luck to him. I think he could be a better NFL player than he was at the college level.

jkjsooner
1/6/2012, 09:37 AM

I don't see anything in the post you quoted that said he expected Stoops to divulge Lewis' dirty laundry. In fact, the post implied the opposite.

PrideMom
1/6/2012, 10:21 AM
You can't fix stupid. I know they make a lot of money in the NFL, but if you see that most players only last 3 to 5 years, and you divide up the earnings for a life time, say 60 to 70 years, a college degree is more important. Only the REALLY good ones (first round picks), that stay healthy, benefit going pro. The NFL is very fickle on who plays. One day you are in the next day you are out.

Curly Bill
1/6/2012, 10:25 AM
You can't fix stupid. I know they make a lot of money in the NFL, but if you see that most players only last 3 to 5 years, and you divide up the earnings for a life time, say 60 to 70 years, a college degree is more important. Only the REALLY good ones (first round picks), that stay healthy, benefit going pro. The NFL is very fickle on who plays. One day you are in the next day you are out.

...but unlike college which someone can complete at any age, and even in poor health, the NFL likes young healthy dudes - better to take advantage of that while you can.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/6/2012, 12:03 PM
So are the "family issues" him having 5 kids? Is he married?

picasso
1/6/2012, 02:58 PM
You can always go back to college. I'd say it's more difficult to get a six figure check for signing your name.