PDA

View Full Version : Kodak bankruptcy imminent

badger
1/4/2012, 05:47 PM
Looks like Kodak's gonna wave the white flag.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=52&articleid=20120104_52_0_ROCHES957462)

Can you imagine being born into a family that has ownership (or buy stock into it that you've seen grow for years) of such a seemingly stable company that has a virtual monopoly (screw you, Fujifilm!) on a very important market worldwide that is just raking in money for decades...

...only to encounter the digital age unprepared?

I remember seeing Kodak products everywhere in a wide variety of different film-based formats... you had the film on little round discs, you had the film that you had to unwind yourself (don't you DARE try taking it through airport security!) and then it was sooooo cool the day that all you had to do was just load a film cartridge and let the camera do the work. They'd also price gouge you at tourist stops for little disposable cameras.

And now... film's a thing of the past.

I wonder what other companies are going to suffer a similar fate in the future.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2012, 05:50 PM
I was a big fan of Advantix film. The problem is, it came in right at the end of the film era and just at the beginning of the digital age so it was doomed to failure. I think it would have really become popular if digital photography had never taken off.

8timechamps
1/4/2012, 10:18 PM
Kodak failed to read the writing on the wall, and now they're paying the price. The had a chance to embrace the digital age, and grow with it, but they chose to do business as usual assuming customers would still need their products and services. In the end, not so much. Kodak was once an example of how to succeed in America, and now, sadly, it's turning into a lesson in how to lose it all.

virginiasooner
1/5/2012, 11:16 AM
Our local large camera store here declared bankruptcy yesterday and is now having a clearance sale. I'll probably go buy a couple of memory cards and some rechargeable batteries.

Boomer.....
1/5/2012, 11:23 AM
We just bought a Kodak mini handheld camcorder.

Oldnslo
1/5/2012, 11:37 AM
My family made the finest buggy whips in the world. That didn't go so well, after all. Then, Cousin Izzy got lucky in business and became the Carbon Paper Baron of New Jersey.

Yeah.