PDA

View Full Version : Rumors per Tulsa radio

picasso
1/4/2012, 02:47 PM
BJW just may well replace Merv as director of football operations. Norvell has other job opportunities. Martinez is gone. Mike Stoops is back.

I'm just the messenger here.

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2012, 02:53 PM
Would be smart to not let BJW leave the program.

picasso
1/4/2012, 02:58 PM
Agreed. I happen to know the director of football ops at oSu and formerly at LSU. That's a pretty sweet job.

goingoneight
1/4/2012, 03:09 PM
What radio is reporting/rumoring this?

Oldnslo
1/4/2012, 03:43 PM
That's a whole lot of rumors for one post!

RacerX
1/4/2012, 04:04 PM
Pic has been cleaning his brushes

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2012, 04:06 PM
Well none of those rumors are going to fix our special teams or our defensive scheme and lapses or our soft offensive line.

lovesOU
1/4/2012, 04:07 PM
BJW just may well replace Merv as director of football operations. Norvell has other job opportunities. Martinez is gone. Mike Stoops is back.

If true, that would be two staff openings. In that case any ideas as to who would be candidates?

Boomer.....
1/4/2012, 04:09 PM
Mike is the obvious one.

lovesOU
1/4/2012, 04:17 PM
Mike is the obvious one.

I meant for the other position if Martinez leaves and BJ goes to football operations.

Dan Thompson
1/4/2012, 04:24 PM
Norvell maybe the new OC at Wisc.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/uw-football-norvell-is-candidate-for-offensive-coordinator/article_461327f8-3708-11e1-ac72-001871e3ce6c.html

champions77
1/4/2012, 04:26 PM
Would be smart to not let BJW leave the program.

+1 Arguably the best position coach we have. The last two years, his players have been selected as Defensive Players of the year in the BIG XII Conference, Jeremy Beal last year and Frank Alexander this year. Not to mention that he knows every HS coach in the State of Texas. He would be the last to leave the field if it was up to me. Then again, BJW is 60, so maybe he wants to slow things down a bit.

prrriiide
1/4/2012, 04:38 PM

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/uw-football-norvell-is-candidate-for-offensive-coordinator/article_461327f8-3708-11e1-ac72-001871e3ce6c.html

From the article...

UW offensive coordinator Paul Chryst was named the coach at Pittsburgh on Dec. 22 and is taking along offensive line coach Bob Bostad.

If Norvell goes, will he (PLEEEEEAAAAZE GOD) take Patton with him?

goingoneight
1/4/2012, 04:53 PM
When did Patton become the goat here? Jeez...

mojorisen2014
1/4/2012, 04:59 PM

If true, that would be two staff openings. In that case any ideas as to who would be candidates?

John Blake is available.

oumartin
1/4/2012, 05:06 PM

since his line became swiss cheese

SoonerMom2
1/4/2012, 05:12 PM
BJW would be awesome as head of football operations. Love to hear him interviewed on the radio.

ashley
1/4/2012, 05:16 PM
I am not so sure about BJ moving off the field.. He to good a recruiter and coach. I don't think he would request this. I will get back with you later today.

Boomer.....
1/4/2012, 05:20 PM

We haven't been able to run the ball with consistency for a while now. They do a good job with pass blocking, but have NO push during running plays.

Dan Thompson
1/4/2012, 05:42 PM
I agree with you, run blocking does not seem to work, but I am thinking about the Belldozer blocking at the same time which seems to work.

Mississippi Sooner
1/4/2012, 05:44 PM
Maybe they are afraid Blake will run slap over them if they don't move themselves and the opponents out of the way as fast as possible.

SoonerMom2
1/4/2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe they are afraid Blake will run slap over them if they don't move themselves and the opponents out of the way as fast as possible.

Very true! Look at the size of the people in the backfield when Bell is in -- it is awesome and am sure the OU lineman don't want to be in their way so there is a clear path for Bell to go right through. Some of the biggest holes I have seen are for Bell!

ashley
1/4/2012, 06:02 PM
BJ is definitely not moving off the field.

SoonerMom2
1/4/2012, 06:05 PM
BJ is definitely not moving off the field.

Thanks!

SoCal
1/4/2012, 06:11 PM

Former University of Wisconsin football assistant coach Jay Norvell, who is the co-coordinator on offense at Oklahoma, has emerged as a candidate to become the offensive coordinator for the Badgers.

A source said Norvell, a Madison native, has talked to UW coach Bret Bielema about the vacant position.

Meanwhile, the shakeup on the UW staff appears to be even more extensive than previously reported.

UW offensive coordinator Paul Chryst was named the coach at Pittsburgh on Dec. 22 and is taking along offensive line coach Bob Bostad.

In an interview with the State Journal on Friday, three days before the Rose Bowl, linebackers coach Dave Huxtable said he was returning to the Badgers despite an offer to be the defensive coordinator under Chryst.

“I’m coming back,” Huxtable said. “It’s 100 percent right now.” Asked if that meant it could change, Huxtable said, “It’s 100 percent.”

But a UW source said Huxtable is leaving to become defensive coordinator at Pitt.

The source said Huxtable may have wanted to keep the “party line” and keep things settled until after the Rose Bowl, which is why he may have given those contradictory statements.

In addition, the State Journal has confirmed UW wide receivers coach DelVaughn Alexander is going to Arizona State. An announcement by Arizona State is expected soon.

Alexander has coached UW receivers for the past five seasons. He is credited, in particular, with the development of sophomore wide receiver Jared Abbrederis, a walk-on who became a starter and led the Badgers this season with 933 receiving yards. Abbrederis caught 55 passes and averaged 17 yards per reception --which topped all receivers with more than two catches -- and had eight touchdowns.

Previously, Alexander coached in the Pac-10 at Oregon State in 2003 and 2004 and as a graduate assistant at Southern Cal from 1995 to '98. He is from Los Angeles.

Alexander's move fits with the potential arrival of Norvell, who also coaches the wide receivers at Oklahoma. He has been at Oklahoma since 2008 under coach Bob Stoops.

But if Bielema bypasses tight ends coach Joe Rudolph for the UW coordinator job, there is concern Rudolph might also leave for Pitt, according to multiple sources. Rudolph is close to Chryst and Bostad.

Bielema announced last week Rudolph will replace Bostad as offensive line coach.

Norvell, who attended Madison Memorial High School, also has a background coaching quarterbacks. He was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at UCLA in 2007 and served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Nebraska from 2004 to ’06.

Norvell also has NFL experience, coaching tight ends for the Oakland Raiders in 2002 and’03, reaching the Super Bowl his first year there. He also coached wide receivers for the Indianapolis Colts from 1998 to 2001.

Norvell coached at UW from 1990 to ’94. He started as a volunteer coach, working with wide receivers and special teams, before becoming a full-time member of the staff in 1992.

His father, Merritt, played on the Badgers’ 1963 Rose Bowl team and a brother, Aaron, was a UW linebacker from 1989 to ’92.

Jay Norvell was an All-Big Ten Conference defensive back at Iowa in 1985, when he led the conference with seven interceptions. Bielema played at Iowa from 1989 to ’92.

Another potential candidate for the UW staff is Chuck Long, who is looking for work and has strong Iowa connections. Long was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach the past two seasons at Kansas under Turner Gill, who was fired in November.

It is unclear if Long is a candidate to become offensive coordinator or to just coach the quarterbacks, or how strong UW’s interest is in him.

Long was the coach at San Diego State for three seasons, starting in 2006, after stints as an assistant coach at Iowa (1995 to ’99) and Oklahoma (1999 to 2005).

Long is a former NFL quarterback and was the Heisman Trophy runner-up after guiding the Hawkeyes to the 1985 Big Ten title and a berth in the Rose Bowl.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/uw-football-norvell-is-candidate-for-offensive-coordinator/article_461327f8-3708-11e1-ac72-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1iXAEHc5T

stoopified
1/4/2012, 06:14 PM
I agree with you, run blocking does not seem to work, but I am thinking about the Belldozer blocking at the same time which seems to work.To be fair the o-line was better at run blocking this year than last.If you recall we averaged just over 100ypg last year and 3.3 ypc.This year we averaged 166 YPG and 4.6 ypc in spite of o-line injuries and loss of our best RB.

85sooners
1/4/2012, 06:22 PM
:texan:

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2012, 06:28 PM
To be fair the o-line was better at run blocking this year than last.If you recall we averaged just over 100ypg last year and 3.3 ypc.This year we averaged 166 YPG and 4.6 ypc in spite of o-line injuries and loss of our best RB.

Stop being fair in a b*tching session. That's not fair.

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2012, 06:45 PM
To be fair the o-line was better at run blocking this year than last.If you recall we averaged just over 100ypg last year and 3.3 ypc.This year we averaged 166 YPG and 4.6 ypc in spite of o-line injuries and loss of our best RB.
Yet we still had to resort to the gimmicky Belldozer midseason because it was the only thing that worked for us during short yardage.

It's clear that Josh wants to focus more on the run game, which is why he tried to establish it early on in many games this year, particularly earlier in the season. But it's also clear that we're still not getting it done on the ground once we have to deal with a shorter yardage and the other team is expecting it, Belldozer aside. We have not been getting it done since Patton's arrival. But yeah, we can pass protect pretty well.

8timechamps
1/4/2012, 06:46 PM
Our d-line issues were at the interior. Not a coaching fault as much as just not having a Gerald McCoy there. Casey Walker is solid, but not a 4 down player. We need to land one of the big DTs we are recruiting. Like an Eddie Goldman.

1/4/2012, 06:52 PM
Franchione is leaving 'Bama for A&...

Oh, wait, wrong thread.

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2012, 06:53 PM
Our d-line issues were at the interior. Not a coaching fault as much as just not having a Gerald McCoy there. Casey Walker is solid, but not a 4 down player. We need to land one of the big DTs we are recruiting. Like an Eddie Goldman.
If we need a Gerald McCoy or a Tommie Harris to not have interior problems on the D-Line, then we have a coaching problem. That's like saying we can't run the ball because we don't have Adrian Peterson or Billy Sims.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/4/2012, 07:02 PM
"Choo wabba habba wo Mangino-san oba wa wa Heupel.... Ho ho ho hoooo"

(that's Hut for "get in mah bellah, Heupel!")

LVSOONER15
1/4/2012, 07:22 PM
Hopefully all is true.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/4/2012, 07:28 PM

Also remember that they took the tackles away from Patton this season and gave them to the TE coach. Think about where that Iowa DT was blowing us up...it sure wasn't on the edge.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/4/2012, 07:37 PM
Also remember that they took the tackles away from Patton this season and gave them to the TE coach. Think about where that Iowa DT was blowing us up...it sure wasn't on the edge.

So... TE and tackles would be on the edge... So you're saying Kittle did a good job with T and TE this year? Otherwise I'm not following.

Yes... I need you to spell it out for me. I'm dumb that way.

cvsooner
1/4/2012, 08:12 PM
Yes, JKM is saying the tackles and tight ends played well this season, and the guards and centers not so much, especially on pass blocking, which is supposedly our strength.

picasso
1/4/2012, 09:00 PM
Franchione is leaving 'Bama for A&...

Oh, wait, wrong thread.
12er! Where hath ye been?

1/4/2012, 09:25 PM
"Choo wabba habba wo Mangino-san oba wa wa Heupel.... Ho ho ho hoooo"

(that's Hut for "get in mah bellah, Heupel!")

Yer killing me, Rich. And Pic, I'm in Kansas of all places.

oudavid1
1/4/2012, 09:37 PM
2 of the OP's rumors are 100% true. Cant say which without a link. Dean's rules.

ashley
1/4/2012, 09:43 PM
Maybe so, but it does include BJW. He is staying in his current job.

8timechamps
1/4/2012, 09:44 PM
If we need a Gerald McCoy or a Tommie Harris to not have interior problems on the D-Line, then we have a coaching problem. That's like saying we can't run the ball because we don't have Adrian Peterson or Billy Sims.

You're missing my point (or maybe I didn't clarify). We're used to having extremely high caliber DTs. This is the first year in a while that we didn't have an All-American at DT. We had arguably the best two DEs in the country (and the best maybe ever to play together under Stoops). Coaching isn't the issue for the entire D-line. A lot has to do with talent. The fact that we've turned out great defensive linemen tells you that the coaching is more than capable.

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2012, 09:51 PM
8timechamps, could it be a coaching thing this year?

It seemed we were running a scheme that we did not have the personnel to run effectively,for the better part of the season.... A 3 front defense.

When we lined up with two true dl and 2 de we were a much better front 7, than when we lined u with 1 dl and 2 de.

8timechamps
1/4/2012, 09:55 PM
8timechamps, could it be a coaching thing this year?

It seemed we were running a scheme that we did not have the personnel to run effectively,for the better part of the season.... A 3 front defense.

When we lined up with two true dl and 2 de we were a much better front 7, than when we lined u with 1 dl and 2 de.

I've kept my opinion to myself, but now that the season is over, I'll let it fly:

BV installed a defense that was way too complex for college football players. I like BV, and he is a hell of a position coach, but when it comes to game-planning and executing defensive schemes, he's out of his league....that's to say that he's asking too much from college athletes. And it showed. At some point, we have to go back to a more simple approach and play hard-nosed defense. Now, with that said, I still think Jackie Shipp is as good a D-line coach as there is in the country. He has to play the cards BV deals him. So, yeah, I will concede that it's a coaching thing...just not at Shipps level.

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2012, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't put it on shipp at all.

And to add to your post, if anyone goes through the seaon game tapes, they will see that the best defensive performances ofthe year was when we were in a 4-3 or 4-2-5 defense.

For years our defense has been complex because they are trying to disguise blitzes and schemes. But I agree we don't need that. Watch LSU or bama and their defenses are pretty simple and physical.

I am not a big fan of bv, but don't want to see him leave. But I do agree keep it "simple stupid."

VA Sooner
1/4/2012, 11:23 PM
That's quite a few rumors for one post... I'm still taking it all in....

picasso
1/5/2012, 12:14 AM
That's quite a few rumors for one post... I'm still taking it all in....Heh!
It was Al Jerkins and Peppermint Patsy Jones. Jerkins is meh, but those guys have more resources than do a few dorks on this board who tweet.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2012, 02:17 AM
I've kept my opinion to myself, but now that the season is over, I'll let it fly:

BV installed a defense that was way too complex for college football players. I like BV, and he is a hell of a position coach, but when it comes to game-planning and executing defensive schemes, he's out of his league....that's to say that he's asking too much from college athletes. And it showed. At some point, we have to go back to a more simple approach and play hard-nosed defense. Now, with that said, I still think Jackie Shipp is as good a D-line coach as there is in the country. He has to play the cards BV deals him. So, yeah, I will concede that it's a coaching thing...just not at Shipps level.

I'm just going to have to disagree here. You are looking at the results and not piecing together how we got from point a to point g. Then you are giving a pass to one of the coaches responsible for us at least going from point c to point d (meaning why we ended up at a 3 man front). I mean seriously, I don't expect us to have a 1st round draft pick on the field every year, but I DO expect our DTs to be in the top 1/3 of the conference not dead last. Venables and Shipp both are Rob Deer when it comes to recruiting -> Home Run or nothing. It bit Venables in the butt before Shipp, but both of them missed on their home run prospects and our D is seeing the effects. Now look comparatively at BJW who constantly hits singles and doubles. He hasn't hit on anyone that was 1st round material, but he has constantly given us a supply of 2nd - 5th round DEs and kept them on campus.

As for the complexity argument, I fail to see how the screenshotted results I've shown demonstrate the D is to complex. Is our D so complex that you can't shed a block? Is our D so complex that you don't hustle? Is our D so complex that you get driven 10 yards backwards before finishing as a pancake? Is our D so complex that you jog in coverage and allow someone to get wide open? Is our D so complex that you drift all the way to the sidelines when you are in a middle curl zone allowing an easy throw to the spot where you should have been?

Vegas Sooner
1/5/2012, 02:31 AM
They should try to announce the thing before the BCS game to get some hype. Tons of filler time on that game.

OrlandoSooner
1/5/2012, 10:10 AM
They should try to announce the thing before the BCS game to get some hype. Tons of filler time on that game.

Are you saying it isn't going to be like WVU vs Clemson?

CobraKai
1/5/2012, 11:17 AM
+1 Arguably the best position coach we have. The last two years, his players have been selected as Defensive Players of the year in the BIG XII Conference, Jeremy Beal last year and Frank Alexander this year. Not to mention that he knows every HS coach in the State of Texas. He would be the last to leave the field if it was up to me. Then again, BJW is 60, so maybe he wants to slow things down a bit.

He is certainly done better with DEs than he did with DBs. I thought our DBs under BJW were always bad.

KantoSooner
1/5/2012, 11:47 AM
As for the complexity argument, I fail to see how the screenshotted results I've shown demonstrate the D is to complex. Is our D so complex that you can't shed a block? Is our D so complex that you don't hustle? Is our D so complex that you get driven 10 yards backwards before finishing as a pancake? Is our D so complex that you jog in coverage and allow someone to get wide open? Is our D so complex that you drift all the way to the sidelines when you are in a middle curl zone allowing an easy throw to the spot where you should have been?

I feel your pain. Bourbon helps. Lots of bourbon.

Eielson
1/5/2012, 11:55 AM
Norvell gone would almost certainly mean no DGB. :(

XingTheRubicon
1/5/2012, 12:33 PM
Rob Deer reference is top shelf.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2012, 12:56 PM
He is certainly done better with DEs than he did with DBs. I thought our DBs under BJW were always bad.

There is something seriously borked with our DB recruiting. Even the guys we send to the league are always called out for their lack of focus.

Neath a Western Sky
1/5/2012, 12:58 PM

Whoo!

Breadburner
1/5/2012, 01:11 PM

You beat me to it but yes.....Bombadeer....!!!!

Curly Bill
1/5/2012, 01:45 PM
There is something seriously borked with our DB recruiting. Even the guys we send to the league are always called out for their lack of focus.

They're probably confused because they're actually expected to cover someone, as opposed to standing 10-12 yards off the LOS, letting the receiver catch it and then go try to tackle him.

SoonerNomad
1/5/2012, 02:01 PM

I liked that obscure reference myself. I used to root for Rob Deer for the sole reason that he and I share the same birthday (9/29/60), but he was definitely all power, no finesse in his approach to the game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2012, 02:27 PM
They're probably confused because they're actually expected to cover someone, as opposed to standing 10-12 yards off the LOS, letting the receiver catch it and then go try to tackle him.

I know that you think this is a hilarious dig at the coaches but if you look at the big picture you'll see something totally contrary to your opinion. When we've had guys that could cover (Fleming and Brian Jackson) they have sealed up on guys and played press coverage. Thus the evidence is that the player is the one that sets the distance on how comfortable they are in the matchups.

Curly Bill
1/5/2012, 03:25 PM
I know that you think this is a hilarious dig at the coaches but if you look at the big picture you'll see something totally contrary to your opinion. When we've had guys that could cover (Fleming and Brian Jackson) they have sealed up on guys and played press coverage. Thus the evidence is that the player is the one that sets the distance on how comfortable they are in the matchups.

I know we've played more man when we've had some better cover guys, not that there's been many, and so my dig might be better directed at our coaches inability to recruit suitable DB's, as it is with the scheme we run. That being said: 3rd and 3 to put our guys 10-12 yards off the LOS is basically giving up a first down, and we have done this in many instances against opponents and in situations where we should be able to cover people, regardless of if our DB's might be considered elite cover guys.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2012, 04:09 PM
Norvell coming back to OU per Joe Schad twitter:

Jay Norvell talked to Wisconsin yesterday but will stay at Oklahoma

NOVSooner
1/5/2012, 04:09 PM
Norvell has removed his name from UW consideration, staying at OU per Joe Schad

Edit: wow: we tied, almost!

Soonerman08
1/5/2012, 04:15 PM
I know we've played more man when we've had some better cover guys, not that there's been many, and so my dig might be better directed at our coaches inability to recruit suitable DB's, as it is with the scheme we run. That being said: 3rd and 3 to put our guys 10-12 yards off the LOS is basically giving up a first down, and we have done this in many instances against opponents and in situations where we should be able to cover people, regardless of if our DB's might be considered elite cover guys.

Hit the nail right on the head about the 3rd and 3 thing! I hate that we play so soft in the back of the field. Venable's blunder against Tech was not playing more physical against their receivers. Pressing the receivers and disrupting their timing in their routes would certainly have helped. With quick timing routes, it seems almost impossible to get to the quarterback even with blitzing. IMHO, we don't press enough near the LOS in these situations. On another note, our blitzes are not timed, nor disguised well enough to be effective most of the time.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2012, 04:45 PM

I know that you are just throwing that out as an example, but our defense IS pretty good on 3rd down. We only allow a 1st down 30% of the time (LSU is at 35% and Alabama is at 25%). And as I said before, if you look at the big picture, the cushion we give isn't our problem. Our problem is that our DBs guess way too much at what the opposing play is that is being run. This comes out in several ways -> biting on routes, loafing on coverage because the QB never throws this way on this play, not recognizing new wrinkles in the plays, etc. In other words, we've become easy to gameplan in the offseason because you just do subtely different things to us than everyone else.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2012, 04:48 PM
Hit the nail right on the head about the 3rd and 3 thing! I hate that we play so soft in the back of the field. Venable's blunder against Tech was not playing more physical against their receivers. Pressing the receivers and disrupting their timing in their routes would certainly have helped. With quick timing routes, it seems almost impossible to get to the quarterback even with blitzing. IMHO, we don't press enough near the LOS in these situations. On another note, our blitzes are not timed, nor disguised well enough to be effective most of the time.

You have to step beyond confirmation bias here. Had you simply went and looked at our 3rd down stats and compared them to good defenses this year you would have seen that this isn't really a problem.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2012, 05:00 PM
Jkm... Let's get real here for a moment. Most of the 3rd downs we stopped were rushes. Break it down game by game and the tech, OSU, and Baylor games will show that it was not that good!!!!

OUmillenium
1/5/2012, 05:26 PM
I like this thread

AlboSooner
1/5/2012, 08:02 PM

We haven't been able to run the ball with consistency for a while now. They do a good job with pass blocking, but have NO push during running plays.

Thats because the leadership wants a line that can pass protect well above anything else. Thats why our line is TE-sized.

Stoops gets let off the hook too easy for my taste.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2012, 10:12 PM
Thats because the leadership wants a line that can pass protect well above anything else. Thats why our line is TE-sized.

Stoops gets let off the hook too easy for my taste.

That's completely counterintuitive to what you want in a pass blocking line.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2012, 11:38 PM
Jkm... Let's get real here for a moment. Most of the 3rd downs we stopped were rushes. Break it down game by game and the tech, OSU, and Baylor games will show that it was not that good!!!!

Yes. Let's get real here.

Most of the 3rd downs we stopped were rushes.

Really? You mean to tell me that 70% of the 3rd down plays we faced were rushes? I thought you played football, that number shouldn't have passed an internal sniff test if you'd given it the least bit of thought.

Break it down game by game and the tech, OSU, and Baylor games will show that it was not that good!!!!

It took me 10 seconds to figure out that you hadn't even looked up the stats and were just shooting from the hip. Why? TTech 6/18 on 3rd down, Baylor 3/13 on 3rd down, OSU 4/13 on 3rd down. And this in a nutshell is why so many of us disregard most of what you say. You don't think about what you are saying and you don't bother to look up your opinions that can be checked just to see if you might be wrong.

And for the record:
TTech 6 of 14 (includes a PI)
Baylor 4 of 9 (includes a PI and a roughing call)
OSU 2 of 7

40% 1st downs on the 3 that are supposed to be much worse

TTech
Successful Play Type Count Description
Yes Pass 1 T 3-5 T26 7-Doege, Seth middle pass complete to 18-Ward, Eric for 9 yards to the TTU35, 1ST DOWN TTU (14-Colvin,Aaron).
No pass 2 T 3-10 T35 7-Doege, Seth sideline pass incomplete.
Yes Pass 3 T 3-2 T40 7-Doege, Seth LFS pass complete to 18-Ward, Eric for 4 yards to the TTU44, 1ST DOWN TTU (14-Colvin,Aaron).
No Pass 4 T 3-7 O36 7-Doege, Seth ORL pass incomplete to 86-Torres, Alex.
No Pass 5 T 3-7 O45 7-Doege, Seth middle pass incomplete to 18-Ward, Eric, dropped pass.
Yes Pass 6 T 3-7 T40 7-Doege, Seth crossing pass complete to 2-Douglas, Corne. for 12 yards to the OU48, 1ST DOWN TTU (7-Nelson,Corey).
No Rush 7 T 3-G O01 32-Crawford, Aaron rush over right tackle for no gain to the OU1 (1-Jefferson,Tony;14-Colvin,Aaron).
Yes Pass 8 T 3-4 T37 7-Doege, Seth middle pass complete to 87-Fisher, Aaron for 20 yards to the OU43, 1ST DOWN TTU (28-Lewis,Travis).
Yes Pass 9 T 3-11 O44 7-Doege, Seth LF pass complete to 2-Douglas, Corne. for 25 yards to the OU19, 1ST DOWN TTU (14-Colvin,Aaron).
No Pass 10 T 3-3 T35 7-Doege, Seth RF pass incomplete to 32-Crawford, Aaron, PENALTY TTU holding declined.
Yes Rush 11 T 3-1 O38 7-Doege, Seth rush over left tackle for 3 yards to the OU35, 1ST DOWN TTU (84-Alexander,Fran).
No Pass 12 T 3-10 O23 7-Doege, Seth crossing pass incomplete to 14-Moore, Darrin.
No Rush 13 T 3-5 O10 32-Crawford, Aaron rush up middle for 4 yards to the OU6 (84-Alexander,Fran).
No Pass 14 T 3-6 O40 7-Doege, Seth sacked for loss of 13 yards to the TTU47 (92-McGee,Stacy), PENALTY TTU intentional grounding (7-Doege, Seth)
No Pass 15 T 3-4 T41 7-Doege, Seth pass incomplete (90-King,David).
No Pass 16 T 3-3 O20 7-Doege, Seth RF pass incomplete to 18-Ward, Eric (14-Colvin,Aaron).
Yes Pass 17 T 3-8 T28 PENALTY OU pass interference (14-Colvin,Aaron) 15 yards to the TTU43, 1ST DOWN TTU.
No Rush 18 T 3-14 T07 21-Washington, De. rush over right tackle for 3 yards to the TTU10 (27-Proctor,Sam).
No Rush 19 T 3-10 T20 21-Washington, De. rush over left tackle for 1 yard to the TTU21 (28-Lewis,Travis).

Baylor

Successful Play Type Count Description
Yes Pass 1 B 3-22 B08 10-Griffin III, R. pass complete to 2-Williams, T. for 14 yards to the BU22 (32-Fleming,Jamell), PENALTY OU roughing passer 15 yards to the BU37, 1ST DOWN BU.
Yes Pass 2 B 3-19 B28 10-Griffin III, R. pass incomplete to 3-Sampson, Lanear, PENALTY OU pass interference (32-Fleming,Jamell) 15 yards to the BU43, 1ST DOWN BU, NO PLAY.
Yes Pass 3 B 3-5 B48 10-Griffin III, R. pass complete to 5A-Goodley, Antwan for 12 yards to the OU40, 1ST DOWN BU (14-Colvin,Aaron).
No Pass 5 B 3-17 B13 10-Griffin III, R. pass incomplete to 1-Wright, Kendall (28-Lewis,Travis).
No Pass 8 B 3-11 B23 10-Griffin III, R. pass complete to 1-Wright, Kendall for 10 yards to the BU33 (28-Lewis,Travis).
No Pass 10 B 3-10 O48 10-Griffin III, R. pass incomplete to 3-Sampson, Lanear.
Yes Pass 11 B 3-10 B15 10-Griffin III, R. pass complete to 1-Wright, Kendall for 16 yards to the BU31, 1ST DOWN BU.
No Pass 12 B 3-17 O42 10-Griffin III, R. pass complete to 21-Salubi, Jarred for 6 yards to the OU36, out-of-bounds (30-Harris,Javon).
No Pass 14 B 3-17 B37 10-Griffin III, R. pass incomplete to 2-Williams, T..

OSU
Successful Play Type Description
Yes Run S 3-1 S29 1-Randle, Joseph rush for 11 yards to the OSU40, 1ST DOWN OSU (32-Fleming,Jamell).
No Run S 3-2 S48 31-Smith, Jeremy rush for no gain to the OSU48 (90-King,David).
No Pass S 3-8 O09 3-Weeden, Brandon pass complete to 81-Blackmon, J. for 1 yard to the OU8 (28-Lewis,Travis).
No Run S 3-8 S12 1-Randle, Joseph rush for no gain to the OSU12 (28-Lewis,Travis).
Yes Pass S 3-10 S15 3-Weeden, Brandon pass complete to 81-Blackmon, J. for 20 yards to the OSU35, 1ST DOWN OSU, out-of-bounds.
No Pass S 3-6 S50 3-Weeden, Brandon pass incomplete to 87-Moore, Tracy (6-Hurst,Demontre).
Yes Pass S 3-4 O11 3-Weeden, Brandon pass complete to 81-Blackmon, J. for 6 yards to the OU5, 1ST DOWN OSU (32-Fleming,Jamell).
No Run S 3-5 O21 81-Blackmon, J. rush for 1 yard to the OU20 (14-Colvin,Aaron).
No Pass S 3-7 S33 3-Weeden, Brandon pass incomplete to 25-Cooper, Josh.
Yes Run S 3-7 O37 31-Smith, Jeremy rush for 37 yards to the OU0, 1ST DOWN OSU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 05:23.
No Pass S 3-8 O18 3-Weeden, Brandon pass complete to 81-Blackmon, J. for 1 yard to the OU17 (6-Hurst,Demontre).
No Pass S 3-7 S30 3-Weeden, Brandon pass complete to 31-Smith, Jeremy for loss of 3 yards to the OSU27 (6-Hurst,Demontre).
No Run S 3-7 S23 18-Sims, Herschel rush for 4 yards to the OSU27 (21-Wort,Tom).

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2012, 01:56 PM
From twitter just now:

RT @BTNTomDienhart Willie Martinz to Illinios as DC? I hear it may happen. Stay tuned.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2012, 02:01 PM
Little more from DOK beat writer:

"Willie Martinez very suddenly popping up for mid-tier DC jobs. Connecting dots ... think he got the 'you-might-wanna-shop-around' talk?"I

picasso
1/6/2012, 02:41 PM
heh

47straight
1/6/2012, 07:50 PM
Little more from DOK beat writer:

"Willie Martinez very suddenly popping up for mid-tier DC jobs. Connecting dots ... think he got the 'you-might-wanna-shop-around' talk?"I

That's exactly what I was thinking.

cleller
1/6/2012, 08:55 PM
In a study over the last three years, the words "Mike Stoops" have been transmitted in ultra high frequency during practices at 18 division 1 programs. At those schools, receivers have dropped 28% more passes than schools without the "Mike Stoops" transmissions.

FaninAma
1/7/2012, 02:57 PM
I think JPM is correct but I think there is a reason we are better on defense on 3rd downs.....Venables seems to scheme aggressively with pressure schemes and tighter db coverage. Conversley perhaps we can see how often we force teams into 3rd down as opposed to allowing them to make the first down prior to reaching a 3rd down.

I think this analysis might show a difference in coaching philosophy between the first 2 downs and 3rd down and may shed some light on our defensive shortfalls.

In the Iowa game I felt the Sooners brought pressure well all night long and did not have lapses in their aggressiveness like they have in a lot of other games they struggled in. Now part of this may have been due to Iowa's RB injury situation or their lack of a great passing game but it seemed very noticeable to me and seemed to suggest that Mike Stoops was already having some impact on defensive schemimg.

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 03:05 PM
:texan:

LMFAO! Nice Post. WTG real here. LOL

http://redroom.com/files/u45251/occupy_howard_beale.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2012, 04:45 PM
I think JPM is correct but I think there is a reason we are better on defense on 3rd downs.....Venables seems to scheme aggressively with pressure schemes and tighter db coverage. Conversley perhaps we can see how often we force teams into 3rd down as opposed to allowing them to make the first down prior to reaching a 3rd down.

I think this analysis might show a difference in coaching philosophy between the first 2 downs and 3rd down and may shed some light on our defensive shortfalls.

In the Iowa game I felt the Sooners brought pressure well all night long and did not have lapses in their aggressiveness like they have in a lot of other games they struggled in. Now part of this may have been due to Iowa's RB injury situation or their lack of a great passing game but it seemed very noticeable to me and seemed to suggest that Mike Stoops was already having some impact on defensive schemimg.

Fan, I think you need to step past your disgust with the coaching staff and look at the problem differently.

Facts:

1. We do very well defensively on 3rd down.
2. In most cases, 3rd down is a passing down.
3. We suck against the pass, but apparently not on 3rd down.

So this infers 2 things:

1. We suck against the pass on 1st and 2nd down
2. We are pretty good against the pass when we KNOW its coming

So basically, you throw this into 4 categories:

1. We scheme against the run on 1st and 2nd down and get burned by the pass
or
2. Our DBs/LBs play run first and pass 2nd
or
3. Our DBs/LBs aren't very good with their keys on whether its a run or pass
or
4. Our DBs/LBs concentrate on a play where they know its coming at them

Now 1 does happen (in a run blitz and they throw, etc) but the majority of the problems were these:

1. LBs squarely fall into #3
2. DBs squarely fall into #4

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 04:49 PM
So....we just make a few adjustments and BOOM....Venables has another Top 10 Nationally rated defense and a bunch of haters wait another year to two years to start calling for him to be fired?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2012, 05:12 PM
So....we just make a few adjustments and BOOM....Venables has another Top 10 Nationally rated defense and a bunch of haters wait another year to two years to start calling for him to be fired?

The linebacker problem isn't going to be fixed until either Brent pulls his head out about them locking up with blockers or we recruit some kids that don't do it naturally. Mike can fix the DB concentration problem, the question is whether he can ramp up the talent from where we are.

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 05:53 PM
The linebacker problem isn't going to be fixed until either Brent pulls his head out about them locking up with blockers or we recruit some kids that don't do it naturally. Mike can fix the DB concentration problem, the question is whether he can ramp up the talent from where we are.

I was hoping that Wort might be a decent change from Lewis and that even though he still will be Coached by Brent....Brent might use him differently than he did the egomaniac that left this year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2012, 09:14 PM
Wort is fine...IF we recruit DTs that just occupy blockers and don't rush the QB.

oumartin
1/7/2012, 09:29 PM
Wort is one concussion away from his football career being over.

SoonerNutt
1/7/2012, 10:03 PM

That would be the worst thing that could happen to this defense next year. Hope it doesn't happen.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2012, 11:22 PM

You could say that about any player.

stoopified
1/7/2012, 11:29 PM
In a study over the last three years, the words "Mike Stoops" have been transmitted in ultra high frequency during practices at 18 division 1 programs. At those schools, receivers have dropped 28% more passes than schools without the "Mike Stoops" transmissions.You are full of crap....everyone knows it is 31% not 28. :)

oumartin
1/7/2012, 11:38 PM
You could say that about any player.

Worts already dealt with a number of concussions. His next one and he is done. He had heck of time recovering from his last one.

StoopTroup
1/7/2012, 11:47 PM
Worts already dealt with a number of concussions. His next one and he is done. He had heck of time recovering from his last one.

Which rule are you basing this on?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7031966/two-former-college-football-players-sue-ncaa-concussion-rules

:D

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Academics+and+Athletes/Personal+Welfare/Health+and+Safety/Concussion

oumartin
1/8/2012, 12:01 AM
Which rule are you basing this on?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7031966/two-former-college-football-players-sue-ncaa-concussion-rules

:D

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Academics+and+Athletes/Personal+Welfare/Health+and+Safety/Concussion

I'm basing it on the words of those that know him and are close to him.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mfl/lowres/mfln2589l.jpg

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 12:03 AM
So just the twitter feed....ROTF.....

goingoneight
1/8/2012, 04:31 PM
I wanna know where all the people with "sources" went to now that we won a bowl game and the season is over with?

FaninAma
1/8/2012, 04:44 PM
Fan, I think you need to step past your disgust with the coaching staff and look at the problem differently.

Facts:

1. We do very well defensively on 3rd down.
2. In most cases, 3rd down is a passing down.
3. We suck against the pass, but apparently not on 3rd down.

So this infers 2 things:

1. We suck against the pass on 1st and 2nd down
2. We are pretty good against the pass when we KNOW its coming.

So basically, you throw this into 4 categories:

1. We scheme against the run on 1st and 2nd down and get burned by the pass
or
2. Our DBs/LBs play run first and pass 2nd
or
3. Our DBs/LBs aren't very good with their keys on whether its a run or pass
or
4. Our DBs/LBs concentrate on a play where they know its coming at them
Now 1 does happen (in a run blitz and they throw, etc) but the majority of the problems were these:

1. LBs squarely fall into #3
2. DBs squarely fall into #4

JPM, I wouldn't say I am disgusted with the coaching staff. I am in the camp that feels there is a disconnect betwee
n the defensive pass coverage scheme and the ability of the players to either grasp it or implement it. I don't think we are very different in our opinions.

OU doesn't recruit players who are dumber than the players recruited at Alabama or LSU...in fact I might argue the opposite is true. So why do the players in those 2 programs seem to be more efficient in successfully implementing the defensive schemes that their coaches assign them?

I would suggest that there are 3 possible reasons:

1. The schemes, including the run-pass keys, are too complicated.
2. The coaches are mediocre at communicating the specific nuances of waht they want the players to do in terms of positioning, technique, reading keys, etc.
3. The players are not PHYSICALLY capable of engaging in the type of technique or positioning required to be successful in said defensive schemes.

I tend to think that reason #2 is the most likely cause of our defensive defeciencies. The biggest difference between your opinion and mine is that I think it is more a defeciency starting in the coaching staff and you feel it is a player personnel problem. The end result is the same.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 04:49 PM
I wanna know where all the people with "sources" went to now that we won a bowl game and the season is over with?

They are now checking every tweet they can find for as much BS as they can find.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 04:54 PM
JPM, I wouldn't say I am disgusted with the coaching staff. I am in the camp that feels there is a disconnect betwee
n the defensive pass coverage scheme and the ability of the players to either grasp it or implement it. I don't think we are very different in our opinions.

OU doesn't recruit players who are dumber than the players recruited at Alabama or LSU...in fact I might argue the opposite is true. So why do the players in those 2 programs seem to be more efficient in successfully implementing the defensive schemes that their coaches assign them?

I would suggest that there are 3 possible reasons:

1. The schemes, including the run-pass keys, are too complicated.
2. The coaches are mediocre at communicating the specific nuances of waht they want the players to do in terms of positioning, technique, reading keys, etc.
3. The players are not PHYSICALLY capable of engaging in the type of technique or positioning required to be successful in said defensive schemes.

I tend to think that reason #2 is the most likely cause of our defensive defeciencies. The biggest difference between your opinion and mine is that I think it is more a defeciency starting in the coaching staff and you feel it is a player personnel problem. The end result is the same.

I think you both make good points and those points wouldn't have really needed to have been pointed out if Whaley, Lewis, Wort and Broyles had remained healthy throughout the Season. They didn't and we lost three games so we the fans are dissecting and arguing about all the reasons we think are valid. I'd also throw into the mix of the guys who seemed to become disheartened on the Team like Ronnel and by the looks of it Jaz Reynolds and IMO...Kenny Stills. Those three were guys we really needed to step up and IMO they stayed at about the level they were at when Ryan and the others were healthy. Instead of seeing opportunity...they acted like they were being used up by the Coaching Staff it seemed to me.

I think that even when we won in 2000 we had some folks complaining about why we didn't score more points on FSU and why the hell we let them score the 2 points. The beat goes on....lol

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2012, 05:15 PM

My source is always to look over on landthieves. And when the the thread (quickly!) degrades to juvenile name calling, at least I can look at all the jiggly avatars.

StoopTroup
1/8/2012, 05:20 PM
OK...so they are are at LTs and surfing porn.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2012, 08:10 PM

Actually, I'm a little more subtle than that ;). I think the linebacker problem is personnel, I think the secondary is coaching. Where I disagree with you is that I think the secondary is OVERCOACHING, not bad coaching. I think we focus so much on what a team had done that we are susceptible to what a team unveils that week.

SoonerAtKU
1/9/2012, 04:13 PM
Wasn't it so much easier when coordinators at good schools were relatively lazy because of the talent advantage? Carl Reese and Greg Davis were hilarious to watch in big games minus having Vince Young scramble for 25 yards on a busted play. It's like they understood the idea of having supremely talented players and getting them in a position to succeed, but completely failed at doing the self-scouting you have to do to keep from getting pantsed on tendencies.

The idea that OU players knew which plays were coming and could show coverages to force audibles into set plays is ASTOUNDING. I don't know if that's a credit to Mike, Bob, and Brent, or a slight against Davis. You can't overstate how much that advantage played into the defense's confidence and will.

To me, and this is a huge oversimplification, but defense is about limiting options and funneling. You want to dictate what the offense can do for a game, for a play, and at each position. A DT has to occupy a lane, a DE has to hold contain on the edge or push the QB in a certain direction to limit passing lanes. A LB has to fill a hole or a zone to take away an option. A DB has to maintain leverage on a WR to force him towards help, either to the sideline or to other defenders. Ideally, you limit options so severely that you push the offense into your strength, whether that's a pass-rushing end or a safety who's faster than expected with a nose for the ball.

I cannot imagine how hard it is to game plan for these offenses now. How do you stop an offense that is comfortable reading down to their 4th pass option and can pick up a first down with that play? Do you sell out to disrupt patterns? How do you identify the progression on a play just from formation, down, and distance? If you press their 3rd option and release one of the others, how much time does that buy you? Is it enough to get past a tackle that has been practicing 90% pass protection for 4 years?

Ugh, as fascinated as I am by the game within the game, I do not have the capacity for it.