PDA

View Full Version : ESPN continues to prove what pathetic arrogant pieces of **** they are.

agoo758
1/4/2012, 12:51 PM
In case you haven't seen it yet, here is the link of Holly Rowe pushing another reporter away so that she could get the first interview with Hoke.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sportsminute

I am so ****ing tired of ESPN. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I am sick of them thinking they have a monopoly over sports coverage and opinions (we want the SEC in the championship, so we'll tell everyone to vote for them!) ESPN is that spoiled little rich kid that needs his dad to smack him silly to remind him where his place is. I know this Holly Rowe incident doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's a tiring reflection how of how arrogant that piece of **** station is. (We go first because we are ESPN! And we have the right to physically assault you to get what we want!) Really pisses me off. Rant over. I am going to work. :subdued:

soonerboy_odanorth
1/4/2012, 12:53 PM
dog eat dog... the other reporter gave ground instead of fighting back. That's why Holly has the ESPN gig and she doesn't.

badger
1/4/2012, 01:38 PM
dog eat dog... the other reporter gave ground instead of fighting back. That's why Holly has the ESPN gig and she doesn't.

Especially true for sports chicks. That's why you usually only see one at each media outlet or event (You won't see Erin Andrews share with another female sideline reporter at an event, for example).

I think I have eliminated most of my female competition around here :D

Holly actually probably had a valid reason for shoving the other away --- ESPN is live television, whereas the other reporter looked like she was just someone with a recorder, not TV cameras following her around like Holly.

XingTheRubicon
1/4/2012, 01:43 PM
yeah, I believe there's a pecking order for this sort of thing

having said that, sideline reporters need to be quietly murdered...they serve little to no purpose

The only time in the history of sideline reporting that it happened to be necessary is when Pete Rose was invited to participate in an MLB pregame ceremony. After his first time on a MLB field in 15 years the mammal-dildo Jim Gray asked him a question. Not "How does it feel after all this time being away from baseball" but... "Did you bet on baseball?" Now, I don't even like Pete Rose, but that full-fledged dork, Jim Gray had to make it all about himself during a moment that was so much bigger than little Jim Gray could ever hope to understand.

Sooners78
1/4/2012, 02:11 PM
I for one, as a man, am insulted everytime I see a bimbo sideline reporter. It's just another example of how the media believes that males are stupid idiots who automatically get a stiffy when they look at a beautiful woman even during a football game. When I sit down to watch a game, I couldn't care less about looking at a woman, regardless of how beautiful she might be. (There's a time and place for that after the game, especially if OU wins). I'd much rather have someone on the sideline who knows something about the game, like someone who actually played it.

badger
1/4/2012, 02:23 PM
I think there is value in having women involved in football, even if they don't play or coach the game. There's tons of guys that have never seen any semblance of a playing time in football that love the game like the women do.

I think that what women add to the game, other than the gender equality argument blah blah blah... is that they are more likely to get information on injuries and other game aspects than their male counterparts. It might sound silly, but it seems to be working. It also provides a contrasting sounding voice to the usual booth talking heads. You hear a female voice, you know you're about to get trainer/coach/etc info, not booth commentary.

So anyway, chick sideline reporters are likely here to stay.

Sooners78
1/4/2012, 02:45 PM
I think there is value in having women involved in football, even if they don't play or coach the game. There's tons of guys that have never seen any semblance of a playing time in football that love the game like the women do.

I think that what women add to the game, other than the gender equality argument blah blah blah... is that they are more likely to get information on injuries and other game aspects than their male counterparts. It might sound silly, but it seems to be working. It also provides a contrasting sounding voice to the usual booth talking heads. You hear a female voice, you know you're about to get trainer/coach/etc info, not booth commentary.

Nonetheless, most of them don't have a clue about football. And, Suzy Kolber's voice is annoying. It's too bad Joe Namath didn't scare her away from her job for good.

picasso
1/4/2012, 02:55 PM
How do you think the coaches feel when one of these women asks them one of those stupid questions, live, on tv and on their way to the locker room?
I'm sorry but leave the hot journalistic chicks for the news cast.

picasso
1/4/2012, 02:56 PM
Nonetheless, most of them don't have a clue about football. And, Suzy Kolber's voice is annoying. It's too bad Joe Namath didn't scare her away from her job for good.
That was really professional there. She had to have known the guy was tanked so hey, let's interview him live in living color!

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2012, 03:04 PM
I for one, as a man, am insulted everytime I see a bimbo sideline reporter. It's just another example of how the media believes that males are stupid idiots who automatically get a stiffy when they look at a beautiful woman even during a football game. When I sit down to watch a game, I couldn't care less about looking at a woman, regardless of how beautiful she might be. (There's a time and place for that after the game, especially if OU wins). I'd much rather have someone on the sideline who knows something about the game, like someone who actually played it.

I don't think Rowe is attractive...but maybe that's just me! LOL...but I get what you're sayin,,,

Sooners78
1/4/2012, 03:08 PM
How do you think the coaches feel when one of these women asks them one of those stupid questions, live, on tv and on their way to the locker room?

I get the feeling Bob is thinking to himself, "I wish this dumb @#$% would get out of my way so I can get back to work!"

Sooners78
1/4/2012, 03:10 PM
I don't think Rowe is attractive...but maybe that's just me! LOL...but I get what you're sayin,,, I wasn't implying that she specifically is beautiful, but let's be honest, none of them are ugly.

goingoneight
1/4/2012, 03:16 PM
I don't think of it as sexist saying a former player knows more about the game than someone who, well... doesn't. Let the women do what they want, equal rights, yada, yada. My mute button works really well for most "reporters" anyway.

rock on sooner
1/4/2012, 03:16 PM
A lot of time they seem to be able to get info about injuries, PT, etc when a guy wouldn't and, every once in a while one
comes along that has football knowledge, never mind being easy on the eyes....

Curly Bill
1/4/2012, 03:30 PM
I'm casting my vote for all sideline reporters should be rounded up and shot - male and female alike.

badger
1/4/2012, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry but leave the hot journalistic chicks for the news cast.

Since most coaches have been in the business awhile, I am sure they know how it works --- ESPN is screaming in their ear to ask them if they're going to the NFL, even as their team is on stage center field, accepting the Orange Bowl trophy.

OU68
1/4/2012, 03:38 PM
Worked with a lady from Philly that grew up with three older brothers - knew more about the Eagles and football in general than most of the guys in the office.
Just sayin...

rock on sooner
1/4/2012, 03:38 PM
I'm casting my vote for all sideline reporters should be rounded up and shot - male and female alike. Any order of preference?

IBleedCrimson
1/4/2012, 03:40 PM
I'm usually not a big fan of the sideline reporters or women announcers, but I heard one calling the Hunger Bowl on XM and she was fantastic. Probably the best announcer I've heard recently.

stoopified
1/4/2012, 04:00 PM
In case you haven't seen it yet, here is the link of Holly Rowe pushing another reporter away so that she could get the first interview with Hoke.

I am so ****ing tired of ESPN. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I am sick of them thinking they have a monopoly over sports coverage and opinions (we want the SEC in the championship, so we'll tell everyone to vote for them!) ESPN is that spoiled little rich kid that needs his dad to smack him silly to remind him where his place is. I know this Holly Rowe incident doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's a tiring reflection how of how arrogant that piece of **** station is. (We go first because we are ESPN! And we have the right to physically assault you to get what we want!) Really pisses me off. Rant over. I am going to work. :subdued:Testify,sing it brother.I am definitely in the amen pew.

LASooner
1/4/2012, 04:46 PM
I bet ESPN is ecstatic about this, it allows them to get rid of the chunky Holly Rowe for someone more aesthetically pleasing, without looking like that's why they got rid of her. You just watch... Holly will be covering Alcorn State with Pam Ward next season.

PDXsooner
1/4/2012, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty sure ESPN has a contract with the BCS that allows them the first interview.

sooneredaco
1/4/2012, 05:12 PM
I wasn't implying that she specifically is beautiful, but let's be honest, none of them are ugly.

You obviously have never seen Rachel Nichols then

Oldnslo
1/4/2012, 05:17 PM
I wasn't implying that she specifically is beautiful, but let's be honest, none of them are ugly.

You obviously have never seen Rachel Nichols then[/QUOTE]

In yet another example of why the Almighty made so many women: I think she's blazing hot in a "sassy girl next door" way.

oudivesherpa
1/4/2012, 05:46 PM

Agreed. And they are far better to look at. I know that's sexists and not PC, but every now and then, it nice just to look at a beautiful woman.

LASooner
1/4/2012, 05:51 PM
Holly Rowe looks like a comfy sofa with lipstick

badger
1/4/2012, 05:54 PM
Agreed. And they are far better to look at. I know that's sexists and not PC, but every now and then, it nice just to look at a beautiful woman.

I might be setting the women's equal right movement back a century by saying it, but some people's livelihood's depend on people being sexist and not PC, and in some cases, being sexist and non-PC sometimes opens doors to giving more people more opportunities at equality, like in the sports media.

Now, go ahead and hand me your shirt to iron... but I'm not guaranteeing that it's gonna look pretty when I'm finished scorching a big burnt spot in it. :D

cvsooner
1/4/2012, 05:55 PM

I am so ****ing tired of ESPN. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I am sick of them thinking they have a monopoly over sports coverage and opinions (we want the SEC in the championship, so we'll tell everyone to vote for them!) ESPN is that spoiled little rich kid that needs his dad to smack him silly to remind him where his place is. I know this Holly Rowe incident doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's a tiring reflection how of how arrogant that piece of **** station is. (We go first because we are ESPN! And we have the right to physically assault you to get what we want!) Really pisses me off. Rant over. I am going to work. :subdued:Actually, to play devil's advocate here, ESPN is paying humongous bucks for the right to broadcast this game, and all the BCS games, and probably does have a legal right to first access. It's probably binding with the conferences and/or the teams/coaches and the NCAA.

Holly's job is to get to the interview, and some local radio reporter or sportswriter is trying to get a quote, and ESPN has a schedule. Holly Rowe might have been a little pushy, but...it happens. Especially on a schedule and there's a producer and a director yelling into your earpiece...they're trying to get to the interview asap and get the game over because they have to head over to Sportscenter, since this game already went long.

So, yeah, they kinda do have a monopoly. Disney paid for it. We watch it. Other media are there, true, and they have to apply for credentials, but I think you'd probably have to read the contract to know exactly what rights to access other media has vs. ESPN or any other broadcaster (CBS, NBC, Fox or whoever) who's paying the bill.

Mississippi Sooner
1/4/2012, 06:02 PM

I can't quit laughing at this.

oudivesherpa
1/4/2012, 06:06 PM
Now, go ahead and hand me your shirt to iron... but I'm not guaranteeing that it's gonna look pretty when I'm finished scorching a big burnt spot in it. :D

Badger, tha's why I send all of my shirts to the laundry :excitement:

Soonerfan88
1/4/2012, 06:18 PM
I'm not a fan of any sideline reporter - male or female.

freshchris05
1/4/2012, 06:44 PM
What the **** was she doing there? There was no kitchen in sight....

soonerboy_odanorth
1/4/2012, 07:08 PM
I get the feeling Bob is thinking to himself, "I wish this dumb @#$% would get out of my way so I can get back to work!"

Heh. Thereby proving Stoops is into gender equity since he likely is thinking the exact same thing to himself when some doof like Tim Brewster sticks a microphone in his face.

Jacie
1/4/2012, 07:45 PM
I like Holly Rowe and don't go calling her Miss Piggy . . .

sooneredaco
1/4/2012, 08:31 PM

You just made me laugh so hard that I spit my beer up! You owe me a beer a hole! ;)

LASooner
1/4/2012, 09:27 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4002/4652918017_7bd08a9d61_z.jpg

8timechamps
1/4/2012, 09:51 PM
I'm casting my vote for all sideline reporters should be rounded up and shot - male and female alike.

Damn, we agree yet again!

Do you remember when they (ABC I think) tried an experiment and showed a game without any play-by-play or color commentary? I actually missed the play-by-play, but could do just fine without all the rest.

zeke
1/4/2012, 10:22 PM

Agree 100%

Pricetag
1/4/2012, 11:16 PM
Holly's job is to get to the interview, and some local radio reporter or sportswriter is trying to get a quote, and ESPN has a schedule. Holly Rowe might have been a little pushy, but...it happens. Especially on a schedule and there's a producer and a director yelling into your earpiece...they're trying to get to the interview asap and get the game over because they have to head over to Sportscenter, since this game already went long.

Yeah. She could have wanted to be as nice as possible to cut in, but there was simply no time.

bluedogok
1/4/2012, 11:54 PM
Damn, we agree yet again!

Do you remember when they (ABC I think) tried an experiment and showed a game without any play-by-play or color commentary? I actually missed the play-by-play, but could do just fine without all the rest.
The Silent Game was broadcast by NBC, it was the Jets-Dolphins game in Miami, December 20, 1980. At that time ABC had Monday Night Football with Gifford, Cosell and Meredith, I don't think you could have a "silent game" with them.

agoo758
1/5/2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah. She could have wanted to be as nice as possible to cut in, but there was simply no time.

That's my point. I am not just blaming her, I am blaming the whole network for assuming that their time reigns supreme. "We're on a schedule, and our time is obviously more important than yours!

bluedogok
1/5/2012, 12:18 AM
That's my point. I am not just blaming her, I am blaming the whole network for assuming that their time reigns supreme. "We're on a schedule, and our time is obviously more important than yours!
NBC does it on Sunday Night Football, all of them do it if they have a live broadcast going and most have contractual rights to do it before or preempting any other media. It's nothin new or exclusive to ESPN.

picasso
1/5/2012, 12:21 AM
Since most coaches have been in the business awhile, I am sure they know how it works --- ESPN is screaming in their ear to ask them if they're going to the NFL, even as their team is on stage center field, accepting the Orange Bowl trophy.
Yes I realize this but I highly doubt it makes it any more enjoyable.

And there's probably a lot of women out there who know more about what's going on in college football and the NFL than I do because I don't watch it that much. But I played football, so I have a little perspective.

Vegas Sooner
1/5/2012, 02:14 AM
Maybe they got sick of people dodging them??? I dont even listen to those idiots. They all have an agenda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Ly9F7JQGg

Good move by Harbaugh.

Curly Bill
1/5/2012, 08:33 AM
Any order of preference?

Nope, cause that would indicate I pay enough attention to em to know who any of em are.

agoo758
1/5/2012, 11:25 AM
Maybe they got sick of people dodging them??? I dont even listen to those idiots. They all have an agenda.

Good move by Harbaugh.

What annoyed me even more was the fact that some ESPN bloggers later criticized him for not being truthful. Not kidding.

badger
1/5/2012, 11:34 AM

Good move by Harbaugh.

I remember that -- Harbaugh was trying his best to not get asked the NFL question, but in retrospect, he should have just answered it there, rather than risk getting asked it on the trophy podium.

SoonerNomad
1/5/2012, 12:09 PM
This thread, with a couple of notable exceptions, is both myopic and sexist.

Do you guys remember sports coverage before ESPN? I get the "angst" that ESPN has grown too big for its britches. Hell, even ESPN people admit that they sometimes are so big that they step on each other's toes. However, ESPN, for all of it's warts has made sports available to a sports mad society like never before. I can choose to watch what I want because of ESPN. I can see more baseball, basketball, NFL and college football than ever before because of ESPN. Arrogant? I don't get that. Successful? Hell yes. While we complain vociferously that ESPN dominates sports coverage we forget that the sports coverage would not exist in its current abundance without the emergence and aggressiveness of ESPN.

As for the numerous comments about "stiffys" and "bimbos" and the lack of sports knowledge of sideline reporters, those are disturbing. I do appreciate the few of you that hate all sideline reporters. The ones that ripped Tim Brewster and Holly Rowe and the general idea that sideline reporters are unnecessary are at least being fair. That position is not the more prevalent hysterical view which rips sideline reporters based on their gender or their blondeness. Do you remember the worst sideline reporter in the history of Monday Night Football? It was, and still is, Hall of Famer, 2000+ yard rusher, Eric Dickerson.

There are good and bad sideline reporters. I hate the interviews coming out of the timeouts during NBA games. I don't care for the comments heading into halftime of college football games. Although I do like when the reporter relays something he/she heard from a coach or on the sideline that wasn't on the air. I do like injury information being shared during the game. I do like when there is some additional tidbit that I wouldn't get without someone being on the sideline. Beautiful blonde, Erin Andrews, actually loves, knows and lives college football. (emphasis added) She has loved college football from prior to going to college. It was part of her life as a child and she is lucky to have made a career in covering something she loves. Just like Herbstreit and Fowler. She is passionate about her job and she does it well. Ditto for the sideline reporter on CBS.

picasso
1/5/2012, 02:26 PM
Hey Nomad, if you're going to point out all of the good ESPN has brought you also need to point out the bad. Like ending Monday Night Football as we knew and loved it. Yeah, the head of ESPN had the gall to say they were going to make it better.
Sexist? Women don't play football. I have no problem a Hanna Storm or whomever reporting NBA games.

Scott D
1/5/2012, 02:43 PM
Hey Nomad, if you're going to point out all of the good ESPN has brought you also need to point out the bad. Like ending Monday Night Football as we knew and loved it. Yeah, the head of ESPN had the gall to say they were going to make it better.
Sexist? Women don't play football. I have no problem a Hanna Storm or whomever reporting NBA games.

Don't tell Mark Rypien's daughter that, she might wake up and realize she's playing QB in essentially underwear ;)

Scott D
1/5/2012, 02:43 PM
And I wish there'd be more media fights, it might make the media entertaining for once.

LASooner
1/5/2012, 04:37 PM

Internet sports message board found to be close-minded and misogynistic........Film at 11.

jiminy
1/5/2012, 06:35 PM
I liked Bonnie.. whatever happened to her?

freshchris05
1/6/2012, 12:01 AM
Don't tell Mark Rypien's daughter that, she might wake up and realize she's playing QB in essentially underwear ;)
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/Angela%20Rypien%20%2311%20Seattle%20Mist%20under%2 0center4x6.jpg

agoo758
1/6/2012, 02:34 AM

Do you guys remember sports coverage before ESPN? I get the "angst" that ESPN has grown too big for its britches. Hell, even ESPN people admit that they sometimes are so big that they step on each other's toes. However, ESPN, for all of it's warts has made sports available to a sports mad society like never before. I can choose to watch what I want because of ESPN. I can see more baseball, basketball, NFL and college football than ever before because of ESPN. Arrogant? I don't get that. Successful? Hell yes. While we complain vociferously that ESPN dominates sports coverage we forget that the sports coverage would not exist in its current abundance without the emergence and aggressiveness of ESPN.

As for the numerous comments about "stiffys" and "bimbos" and the lack of sports knowledge of sideline reporters, those are disturbing. I do appreciate the few of you that hate all sideline reporters. The ones that ripped Tim Brewster and Holly Rowe and the general idea that sideline reporters are unnecessary are at least being fair. That position is not the more prevalent hysterical view which rips sideline reporters based on their gender or their blondeness. Do you remember the worst sideline reporter in the history of Monday Night Football? It was, and still is, Hall of Famer, 2000+ yard rusher, Eric Dickerson.

There are good and bad sideline reporters. I hate the interviews coming out of the timeouts during NBA games. I don't care for the comments heading into halftime of college football games. Although I do like when the reporter relays something he/she heard from a coach or on the sideline that wasn't on the air. I do like injury information being shared during the game. I do like when there is some additional tidbit that I wouldn't get without someone being on the sideline. Beautiful blonde, Erin Andrews, actually loves, knows and lives college football. (emphasis added) She has loved college football from prior to going to college. It was part of her life as a child and she is lucky to have made a career in covering something she loves. Just like Herbstreit and Fowler. She is passionate about her job and she does it well. Ditto for the sideline reporter on CBS.

When ESPN was about sports and nothing else (up until about 1999 in my estimation) they were terrific. Not so much when they became about pop culture, rumors, and listening to themselves talk. ("It came true! I reported it first!" Oh really? Guess what, dip****, you contributed NOTHING to that event you predicted. It was going to happen whether you "called it" or not.) Oh yeah, let's nor forget the cycle of media darlings that saturated College Gameday coverage (Miami in the early 2000's, USC in the mid 2000's, and the SEC today.) What happened was that ESPN became a Giant for doing something so well, but once they became big enough, they grew arrogant and now believe that they are too big to be surpassed or destroyed, and therefore, can do whatever they want. If they continue down this path, they will be, maybe not in the near future, but it will happen, and I will LOVE it.

nativesooner
1/6/2012, 02:50 AM
damn... I missed the vid. ESPN jumped on that real quick.

LASooner
1/6/2012, 03:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwEvpH0cOMg