PDA

View Full Version : "Sooner Network" > LHN ??

ByngSooner
1/3/2012, 08:09 PM
Didn't see any threads on this topic yet.

Interesting read.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/01/02/Colleges/Oklahoma.aspx

Sooner5030
1/3/2012, 08:46 PM
like it

would have been better to pool with OSU and Thunder for a bigger FSOK deal. CFB is about co-dependence within the conference. The B12 needs to ensure that UT and OU don't leave everyone else behind...anymore than we already have.

I'd prefer a conference network operated by FSN. I'd like to see the B12 on FOX, FX, & FSN for all three tiers.

sooneredaco
1/3/2012, 10:56 PM
Seems like a sweet deal. Not too much of a headache in comparison to whorns r us TV

Herr Scholz
1/3/2012, 11:35 PM
I don't know how collecting $300M guaranteed from ESPN is such a headache for us. It's on them to recoup their investment, not us. Of course I'd like to see it sometime soon but whatever, no skin of our backs. Good for you guys getting your own 3rd tier deal.

"Whereas Texas’ deal with ESPN for the Longhorn Network is valued at $300 million over 20 years, OU’s deal with Fox is believed to be worth much less, both in terms of annual value and length."

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2012, 12:14 AM
I don't know how collecting $300M guaranteed from ESPN is such a headache for us. It's on them to recoup their investment, not us. Of course I'd like to see it sometime soon but whatever, no skin of our backs. Good for you guys getting your own 3rd tier deal.

"Whereas Texas’ deal with ESPN for the Longhorn Network is valued at $300 million over 20 years, OU’s deal with Fox is believed to be worth much less, both in terms of annual value and length."

And you think it's a good thing that on the field competition is determined by unequal revenue? The NFL has the cap system in an attempt to avoid that as much as possible. And yes, I realize OU benefits in that game, I just don't see it as good thing but have no idea how to address it.

MeMyself&Me
1/4/2012, 12:43 AM

I'd rather have the exposure than the money. :-)

WA. Sooner
1/4/2012, 01:09 AM
Oklahoma regional sports networks, which go to 8.6 million homes in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and, yes, Texas.

LASooner
1/4/2012, 01:33 AM
I get Fox Southwest on Dish Network as well.

oudavid1
1/4/2012, 02:35 AM

Its evident that Texas has more money, the best tv deal, and the highest paid coach, or at least top 1%, not to mention the best recruiting classes annually.....wait, how are you not winning?

You still get blown out by the "meth snorting, tailor park living, ignorant, cheating, stupid people"(Shaggy Bevo,2012) from Oklahoma because they take football more seriously, drive down to texas, and take recruits out from right in front of you. You can have your network, its real cool in all, but without an athletic QB and an amazing defense, you cannot win. Without Vince Young (2005) and Colt McCoy (2006-2009), you have not beaten Oklahoma. Good luck doing better than those two.

PLaw
1/4/2012, 03:14 AM

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Touche t-sips!

BOOMER

badger
1/4/2012, 09:31 AM

Like someone else eluded to, you guys already have piles of money... but it's not getting you more eyeballs on your network. That can't be a good thing for you guys. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides are trying to walk away in the near future if you can't get on some major providers soon.

fwsooner22
1/4/2012, 09:35 AM

I'd just rather not embarrass the people who invested so deeply in me. It's called character. What ** is turning out to be is more of Bernie Madoff than a money maker.

badger
1/4/2012, 09:50 AM
I wonder how much it really is an Aggie problem that more carriers aren't picking up Bevo TV. I've read that Texas A&M fans have asked each other to call their cable companies threatening to cancel if they pick it up, but I've also heard that ESPN wants a big fee from carriers to provide it (40 cents per subscriber was what I last read) and since they already charge more than other networks for their ESPN 'family,' the cable companies finally put their foot down and told the Bristow monster NO.

If OSU fans catch wind of this, I wouldn't picture them calling to cancel over Fox Sports, but rather, ask if they can some how get in on the action too... at which point, Boone and Holder would be all like "No, we want you attending games in Stillwater, not watching them on TV. Now, how bout renewing those football season tickets even though we don't host the Gooner game this year?" :stunned:

SoonerSpock
1/4/2012, 10:27 AM
All of the problems with Tier 3 exposure and revenue were initiated when the Sooners and aggies sided with the whorns when tier 3 distribution was initially discussed by the conference. Had we been on the side of the other conference members in distributing Tier 3 revenues like the B10 the LHN would never have existed. We didn't and it resulted in the B12 as we knew it going to the wayside. It is what it is but it appears the Sooners may have made a very good recovery.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2012, 11:18 AM

No doubt it was a phenomenal financial success for the University and a huge bust for ESPN so far. So huge that no other university "network" will ever be launched. The downside to that is it's making the university look foolish with the limited viewership and constant pimping. The goal of the university "network", as I understood it, was to get exposure to those that otherwise wouldn't have it...parents, recruits, etc. That part of the network has failed miserably. Maybe it will catch on and other providers will find it valuable to pick up. Until then, good luck spending money that, in all honesty, you really didn't need but nobody would pass it up.

MeMyself&Me
1/4/2012, 11:23 AM
Shaggybevo not happy:

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/103821-You-might-not-get-the-Longhorn-network-in-Austin.-but-you-ll-have-the-Sooner-Network

badger
1/4/2012, 11:44 AM
Shaggybevo not happy:

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/103821-You-might-not-get-the-Longhorn-network-in-Austin.-but-you-ll-have-the-Sooner-Network

A select few meltdown posts:

The terrorists have won.

I find this maddeningly amusing. Deloss should find it infuriating.

Time to leave the conference...we've already been rejected by the PAC-12 and Big 10. I guess we'll just play with ourselves /aggy/

The OU network appears as though it'll be like the slutty chick. It may not look quite as good, but it's available for enjoyment now.

I wonder if TexAgs is eating this up (or trying to boycott FS Southwest)

SoonerorLater
1/4/2012, 11:46 AM

Still, 300 million can come in handy.

Mississippi Sooner
1/4/2012, 11:47 AM
Love the Shaggy responses, especially the handful of sunshine pumpers trying to prove that this is somehow a good thing for the cows.

oumartin
1/4/2012, 11:50 AM
Nothing like blowing a game against an inferior opponent while millions look on

rekamrettuB
1/4/2012, 12:14 PM
Nothing like blowing a game against an inferior opponent while millions look on

Old shtick but aren't all opponents inferior.

badger
1/4/2012, 12:23 PM
Old shtick but aren't all opponents inferior.

To OU, yes :)

Bourbon St Sooner
1/4/2012, 02:24 PM
Where's TDTW to tell us what an idiot Boren is?

Bourbon St Sooner
1/4/2012, 02:35 PM

I wonder how long before ESPN comes back looking to renegotiate. I doubt if they would sign a contract without leaving themselves an out. It's pretty obvious by now that they are not able to garner the subscription fees that they thought they would. I'm no legal expert, but I would think they could probably spin off the network and let it declare bankruptcy.

fwsooner22
1/4/2012, 02:37 PM
What amazes me is the frequency with which $$ enters into each post. They are so proud of how much money the school has amassed. It's like they won the $$ national championship. They lose to everyone in their favorite sport and now they hang their hat on the amount of $$ they have. Meanwhile, they are writing checks for more and more and more tuition, donations, ticket prices and other $$. It's backdoor comedy at it's finest.

We are Texa$.

badger
1/4/2012, 02:52 PM
What amazes me is the frequency with which $$ enters into each post. They are so proud of how much money the school has amassed. It's like they won the $$ national championship. They lose to everyone in their favorite sport and now they hang their hat on the amount of $$ they have. Meanwhile, they are writing checks for more and more and more tuition, donations, ticket prices and other $$. It's backdoor comedy at it's finest.

We are Texa$.

They can't cling to anything else presently, so they cling to that.

Do they even still win the football recruiting national championship, or does an SEC school claim that now?

SoonerAtKU
1/4/2012, 02:53 PM
I do think it's funny to see Texas fans act as if they're going to get a check cut out of that $300M. Congrats on watching someone get richer. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to watch them award the Publisher's Clearing House money.

Mississippi Sooner
1/4/2012, 03:41 PM
I didn't realize how pathetic they'd gotten until I took a minute to read the thread on Shaggy concerning this issue. It really is amazing how they all keep harping on all this money "they" are making. I never realized that * are the Green Bay Packers of college football, and the fans are also shareholders in the company.

badger
1/4/2012, 03:44 PM
I didn't realize how pathetic they'd gotten until I took a minute to read the thread on Shaggy concerning this issue. It really is amazing how they all keep harping on all this money "they" are making. I never realized that * are the Green Bay Packers of college football, and the fans are also shareholders in the company.

Don't bring my beloved Packers into this! :mad:

But... since you already did anyway, it is kind of similar in that the fans pay the money and the team gets the money and the fans only get to watch football in return.

...oh wait, it's not similar at all, because Packer fans didn't have two of their regular season games unavailable for TV viewing :D

:mack: Call your cable provider now so that you don't miss Texas vs. Rice or Texas vs. Kansas! Hook em

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2012, 03:47 PM
This is likely going to be the model for the rest of the conference, including the LHN when ESPN tires of it and pulls the plug.

badger
1/4/2012, 04:04 PM
This is likely going to be the model for the rest of the conference, including the LHN when ESPN tires of it and pulls the plug.

I would love to see some punishment doled out by ESPN afterward. :D

Chris: Do you believe Texas belongs in the national title discussion?
Kirk: Absolutely not.
Desmond: Not in the Heisman discussion either.
Erin: I spoke to Coach Mack Brown before the game, but he did not speak back.
Lee: (does not say anything, but appears to be urinating on the Bevo mascot head)

Chris: And now, stay tuned for every game except Texas' which we are refusing to broadcast.

picasso
1/4/2012, 09:20 PM
Texas will always be the winner in the money race.

That's why it makes their skin crawl when we beat the living **** outta them.

BB37
1/4/2012, 11:04 PM
No doubt it was a phenomenal financial success for the University and a huge bust for ESPN so far. So huge that no other university "network" will ever be launched. The downside to that is it's making the university look foolish with the limited viewership and constant pimping. The goal of the university "network", as I understood it, was to get exposure to those that otherwise wouldn't have it...parents, recruits, etc. That part of the network has failed miserably. Maybe it will catch on and other providers will find it valuable to pick up. Until then, good luck spending money that, in all honesty, you really didn't need but nobody would pass it up.

Not only the above, but throw in the considerable amount of bad/disparaging press **censored** got last year when the conference came close to disintegrating, much of which centered on **censored** arrogance and the LHN. As another poster said, I wouldn't be surprised to see ESpIN pull out if they can't sign up some big providers.