PDA

View Full Version : How Many Scholarships Available This Year

PalmBeachSooner
1/3/2012, 01:05 PM
With all of the transfers and potential early entry into the NFL draft how many scholarships can OU give this year? Will they use all of them.

StoopTroup
1/3/2012, 01:14 PM
I asked Board Guru JKM the same thing the other day as I have no idea anymore and I'm not sure where the folks that do know get the info. It's like it's another one of those national Secrets that the POTUS is only allowed to see.

Only NCAA DIA college football scholarships are guaranteed full rides. All other division levels will not be guaranteed full ride scholarships.
There are 120 NCAA DIA programs, 126 NCAA DIAA, 148 NCAA DII, 237 NCAA DIII, 91 NAIA and 138 NJCAA college football programs across the country.
The number of football scholarships allowed per team varies depending on division level. NCAA DIA programs have up to 85 scholarships per team, 63 for NCAA DIAA, 36 for NCAA DII, 24 for NAIA and up to 85 scholarships for a fully funded NJCAA program.

http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/football.htm

StoopTroup
1/3/2012, 01:31 PM
By the looks of the rules the answer is 85. Why?

Many players assume scholarships are guaranteed for as long as five years. In fact, athletic scholarships are one-year, "merit-based" awards.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2011-01-31-recruiting-schools-oversigning_N.htm

So even though Bob said he was giving Dom Whaley a Scholarship....if he can't play....he can revoke the Scholly and give it to someone else. Would Bob do that? Has it happened before?

I don't remember or not if it has but it sure sounds like Bob might if some of these guys don't tow the line....

If someone else knows more about it than me....I'd like to know what's kind of going on.

Right now there are around 90-92 guys on the roster that aren't Seniors.

badger
1/3/2012, 01:59 PM
Hey, if there's scholarships available I'll take one! Hell, gimme two! :D

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2012, 02:03 PM
Hey, if there's scholarships available I'll take one! Hell, gimme two! :D

Can you cover in both man and zone? Alright then.

badger
1/3/2012, 02:16 PM
Can you cover in both man and zone? Alright then.

I will stand deep enough in coverage that eventually I will meet up with an opposing receiver, back, tight end or quarterback from any angle they run.

But... I might not tackle them either. Those guys are scary huge.

goingoneight
1/3/2012, 03:02 PM
You sure you weren't playing for OUr secondary this year, badger?

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2012, 03:06 PM
I will stand deep enough in coverage that eventually I will meet up with an opposing receiver, back, tight end or quarterback from any angle they run.

But... I might not tackle them either. Those guys are scary huge.

Schollies are yours. And by not tackling, you eliminate those costly helmet to helmet PF flogs.

StoopTroup
1/3/2012, 03:25 PM
I fun little ditty....

A recent recruiting services pitch we came across was as follows.... "There are 6.9 million high school athletes, how will you stand out" - “There are 254,000 seniors who play high school football. There are only 5,042 athletic scholarships awarded at the D1 level. Your odds are 1-50 that you get a scholarship.”

http://www.varsityedge.com/nei/varsity.nsf/main/football+participation+numbers

badger
1/3/2012, 03:27 PM
You sure you weren't playing for OUr secondary this year, badger?
No, but you might have heard about me anyways. You see, Stoops announced that I was leaving the school for personal reasons. The fact of the matter was that as soon as his office door shut (and not that office with all the memorabilia mind you, but this scary little interrogation room he has with two-way mirrors and a single hanging light bulb from the ceiling, cement brick walls and icy cold metal chairs) he told me, using the F-bomb every other word, that if I had a scholarship it would not be renewed and since he couldn't take that away, he was taking away my dignity instead.

I quit the team after lap 200 around Bud Wilkenson in a tutu.

Schollies are yours. And by not tackling, you eliminate those costly helmet to helmet PF flogs.

He took away my dignity and my helmet, so no, helmet-to-helmet was not an issue.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2012, 05:06 PM
i'd say somewhere between 18-22 available

Basically its 85 - Scholarship Players + Scholarship Seniors - Scholarship 6th Year eligible - Early Entrants.

A traditional OU year has us playing the season with 81-82 scholarship players. For example, this year we had Metoyer, JMiller, Calhoun not show up/finish fall ball so we were at 82.

toast
1/3/2012, 06:58 PM
Here's a link to a nice chart done by someone on the scout board, that being said I can't vouch for it's accuracy:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=146&f=2445&t=8465124

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2012, 07:29 PM
wow, they are going to have to clear 10 for next year?

toast
1/3/2012, 07:46 PM
the way I read it the 18 commits are included in his 77 total so he has OU having 8 more schollies to give.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2012, 07:47 PM
the way I read it the 18 commits are included in his 77 total so he has OU having 8 more schollies to give.

No 17 + 19 + 14 +27 = 77
Nevermind, he has the commits listed twice (once as freshman, once as recruits)

toast
1/3/2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah but the 18 commits are included in the 27
(or other classes for the jucos)

StoopTroup
1/3/2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks JKM and Toast. It does't really clear it up but it does kind of let folks know maybe why a few folks might not get their Schollies renewed if they aren't a healthy addition to the team.

There just aren't as many schollies as folks think. I think most folks think the Coaches have tons of them and can go around handing them out to make huge improvements and it's just not true. They have a very difficult task before them IMHO.

DocD
1/4/2012, 10:35 AM
I wonder if OU is going to engage in what has apparently become common practice in the SEC in recent years. The practice of over-committing in numbers of scholarships.

Howzit
1/4/2012, 10:47 AM
I can answer that, no.

sooneredaco
1/4/2012, 11:06 AM
So... How does Saban get it done?

PalmBeachSooner
1/4/2012, 03:35 PM
So... How does Saban get it done?

Same way Stoops is doing it this year. However, Saban doesn't revoke/renew scholarships until AFTER LOI signing day. Until he knows for sure who signs, it's best to wait. One in the hand is better than two in the bush, so to speak. He has been criticized for this practice by the national media. I'd google it up 'cept I'm too lazy.

Some coaches, including Mike Gundy, offer scholarships, but then when LOI day comes they refuse to accept the letter, basically saying, "Oops, we screwed up. We no longer have a scholarship available for you." If that ain't a kick in the nugglets I don't know what is. This is the exception I'm sure.

SoonerGibb7
1/4/2012, 11:59 PM
I believe Eric Humphrey is transferring to Texas Tech.