PDA

View Full Version : Why do honor systems fail?

badger
1/3/2012, 12:48 PM
I found this little story on the internets enlightening:

We used to have someone who would buy cans of Coke bulk and keep them in the fridge, selling them and donating the proceeds to charity. It relied on the honor system to leave money for them, but over time, the money wasn’t matching the missing cans… by a significant margin.

People started to get into heated arguments about it, with accusations flying left and right and emails questioning “What kind of people work here?!”

Finally, after much discussion, a webcam was set up to keep an eye on it. Many thought it signaled the end of our company culture and an absolute loss of faith in who we thought were our friends and coworkers.

The next day we fired the cleaners for stealing the money and drinking the coke.

Have you ever personally cheated in an "honor system" knowing that you wouldn't get caught, or witnessed someone else violating said "honor system?"

My own story: On trips, we'd fill coolers to the brink with ice and soda as a fundraiser for our group. Some would watch the cooler like hawks, others would put it in elsewhere in the bus and have an "honor system," that you just pay for your drink when you take one.

Guess which buses' coolers were missing the most soda and had the least money by the time the trip was over.

I don't think it's economics --- sodas are fairly cheap. I think it's all about opportunity and the lack of fear in getting caught.

Memtig14
1/3/2012, 01:24 PM
"Sodas"

I hate that word!

KantoSooner
1/3/2012, 01:53 PM
Because people self interested. Not always; but some of the time we are all likely to 'cheat'. Failure to accept that simple fact has doomed all left wing political systems to irrelevance.

kbsooner21
1/3/2012, 02:11 PM
People don't take pride in being honest anymore. People don't take pride in a lot of virtues anymore.

Breadburner
1/3/2012, 02:50 PM
Here's to Honor....Get on her and stay on her......!!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/3/2012, 03:15 PM
Why do birds suddenly appear every time that you're near?

Viking Kitten
1/3/2012, 03:20 PM
This thread is just one big exercise in non-sequiturs. And pie.

Curly Bill
1/3/2012, 03:22 PM
I made a buttermilk pie last week. Yummmmm.

Mississippi Sooner
1/3/2012, 03:32 PM
I like my pie with extra sequiturs.

badger
1/3/2012, 03:40 PM
This thread is just one big exercise in non-sequiturs. And pie.

You never post a thread in the South Oval without running that risk. I just thought that was a cute story on the honor system because I think we've all heard it before in some way shape or form, whether it involves an "on your honor" pact or not.

For example, the disappearing pie that you blame your kids for, only to discover the dog eating it in another rooom

NormanPride
1/3/2012, 04:38 PM
Damn illegals with no honor...

olevetonahill
1/3/2012, 05:02 PM
"Sodas"

I hate that word!

Me to. Thats ounds so "Dayum Yankee"
Every one knows its
" Soda Water"

C&CDean
1/3/2012, 06:09 PM
I can't stand when people call it "pop." Especially the Midwesterners from Iowa and Minnesota. It's coke. Everybody knows that.

"What kinda coke you want?" "I'll have a Dr. Pepper." "OK, here ya go."

And on the honor system, I have a neighbor who sells fruits/veggies/eggs/etc. by the roadside and they leave a gallon jar for money. Prices on all the items are clearly marked. They never had trouble - and oftentimes people leave more than what the asking price is. Until the Mexicans started stopping by. Not only did the $ come up missing, but so did stuff like shovels, tools, etc. No more honor system. Mexicans ruined it.

Viking Kitten
1/3/2012, 06:14 PM
Mexicans make a dessert called flan that is just delicious.

CrimsonKel
1/3/2012, 06:19 PM
If everyone behaved honorably, then the honor system would work. The problem is that many people behave dishonorably.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/3/2012, 06:27 PM
http://d37nnnqwv9amwr.cloudfront.net/photos/images/original/000/091/284/eso_es_racista.gif?1294075992 (http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/91284-thats-racist)

C&CDean
1/3/2012, 06:36 PM

It ain't no creme brule', but it's alright.

fadada1
1/3/2012, 06:50 PM
focus, people.

honor systems work for honorable people; they don't work for non-honorable people. they don't work because the person never had any intention of keeping their "promise" to begin with. a person who has honor, doesn't need to sign into any "honor system" in the first place.

olevetonahill
1/3/2012, 06:59 PM
Cause there's NO honor among thieves

I Am Right
1/3/2012, 07:12 PM
easy, No Honor, I would say more, but I don't want to get the correct police upset. As you can tell I have upset somebody.

Fraggle145
1/3/2012, 08:39 PM
Because we are evolutionarily selected to be cheaters.

Eielson
1/3/2012, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure this counts as the honor system, but I hate when people don't change out the toilet paper roll when they finish it. I don't understand this. It's so quick and easy.

Pricetag
1/4/2012, 12:53 AM
Because we are evolutionarily selected to be cheaters.
This. We're so competitive when it really counts that even the honorable ones are tempted to cheat to keep the playing field even.

Killerbees
1/4/2012, 05:25 AM
Have had an honor system for candy here at work for years. I am not involved with running it but supposedly it makes enough money to cover the theives. I have twice "borrowed" a candy bar and repaid the next time I came to work. I couldn't shake off the weird feeling that everyone knew I didn't pay so even if I wasn't an honorable person I would have payed just to get some peace of mind.

I believe that I read a study about something similar where they tested honor system type sells to people in different locations with differing setups. Honor system sells have a much higher paying rate (general public) if they put out a sign that said "smile for the camera". Duh.

badger
1/4/2012, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure this counts as the honor system, but I hate when people don't change out the toilet paper roll when they finish it. I don't understand this. It's so quick and easy.

I think it kind of does... cheating is like taking the easy way out, and not changing toilet paper rolls is easier than changing them... but I'm sure those with kids deal with a lot worse cut corners involving the bathroom (not washing hands, not flushing, etc).

I believe that I read a study about something similar where they tested honor system type sells to people in different locations with differing setups. Honor system sells have a much higher paying rate (general public) if they put out a sign that said "smile for the camera". Duh.

I dislike stores that have "smile for the camera" signs and not because I intended to steal or anything. It's usually those cheap jewelry stores or candy sections of the gas station/convenience store that I see them the most. I think they're not intended for me, but for no good punk teens with fast fingers and not enough of their parents' money.

KABOOKIE
1/4/2012, 10:43 AM
I can't stand when people call it "pop." Especially the Midwesterners from Iowa and Minnesota. It's coke. Everybody knows that.

"What kinda coke you want?" "I'll have a Dr. Pepper." "OK, here ya go."

And on the honor system, I have a neighbor who sells fruits/veggies/eggs/etc. by the roadside and they leave a gallon jar for money. Prices on all the items are clearly marked. They never had trouble - and oftentimes people leave more than what the asking price is. Until the Mexicans started stopping by. Not only did the $ come up missing, but so did stuff like shovels, tools, etc. No more honor system. Mexicans ruined it.

They don't care because America basically did the same thing to them with texas and the SW US.

soonercruiser
1/4/2012, 12:17 PM
"Sodas"

I hate that word!

I LOVE Pop!
:very_drunk:

soonercruiser
1/4/2012, 12:23 PM

Is this a racist comment? Or just more hot sauce?

Most kids over the last two generations didn't even have both parents; let alone one who would teach honor!
This forum proves it!

Viking Kitten
1/4/2012, 01:28 PM
I also like cake!
And ice cream!

SoonerAtKU
1/4/2012, 03:43 PM
I have discovered the depths of your nerdery, Badger. You read...GASP...Penny Arcade spin-offs!

P.S. of course I caught it because I read it too.

badger
1/4/2012, 03:50 PM
I have discovered the depths of your nerdery, Badger. You read...GASP...Penny Arcade spin-offs!

P.S. of course I caught it because I read it too.

Yeah, but I'm not really a fan of it quite yet. It had potential at the beginning, but they really are dragging their feet and thus the story is dragging as well. Ah well, still better than B^U

SoonerAtKU
1/4/2012, 04:01 PM
I check in once every few weeks. Probably not the way to go with something serialized like that, but it's not good enough to earn twice a week just yet.