PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jack Wright Possibly Going to Wash St. as DC?

Augusta_Sooner
1/3/2012, 12:09 PM
Supposedly, Mike Leach is considering BJW as his DC. If so, good for him but I'd hate to lose a coach with strong recruting ties to Texas.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/3/2012, 12:12 PM
Agreed, but good thing Oklahoma was recruiting Texas well for decades before BJW ever arrived.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2012, 12:21 PM
I thought it was odd they gave him a gatorade bath at the end of the bowl game...a sign of the end of his OU days?

OrlandoSooner
1/3/2012, 12:31 PM
I thought it was odd they gave him a gatorade bath at the end of the bowl game...a sign of the end of his OU days?

I thought that was b/c he was closest to Stoops when they went for the pour. Stoops' cat light reflexes made them go to option #2 (whomever was standing next to Bob).

colleyvillesooner
1/3/2012, 12:39 PM
The players that dumped BJW said it was because he's their coach. I think he's either out to another school or "promoted" off the staff to clear the way for Mike.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2012, 12:42 PM
I thought that was b/c he was closest to Stoops when they went for the pour. Stoops' cat light reflexes made them go to option #2 (whomever was standing next to Bob).

Nah, that 2nd one went straight to BJW..

delhalew
1/3/2012, 12:53 PM
I think that would be a great get for Leach, and a shame for us to lose him.

70sooner
1/3/2012, 01:20 PM
I think he's either out to another school or "promoted" off the staff to clear the way for Mike.

one rumor was/is Merv Johnson is retiring and BJW would replace him. I know I'd rather he stayed in Norman.

oumartin
1/3/2012, 01:25 PM
well obviously Bob cannot win without Mike so do whatever is necessary I guess. ;)

PalmBeachSooner
1/3/2012, 01:26 PM
Not sure I'd trade BJW for MS.

Sooner in Tampa
1/3/2012, 01:31 PM
GuerinEmig (http://twitter.com/GuerinEmig)
Thanks, Chris. Just sharing buzz up Seattle way. RT @ChrisLevel: @GuerinEmig Wright won't be the DC at Wazzu. I can 100% confirm that.

Curly Bill
1/3/2012, 01:32 PM
I'd trade BJW for a good used car. I'm not seeing the downside to him leaving.

oumartin
1/3/2012, 01:35 PM

the downside would be that Venables wouldn't be leaving.. lol

Curly Bill
1/3/2012, 01:37 PM
the downside would be that Venables wouldn't be leaving.. lol

Getting rid of both is too much for even us to hope for! ;)

oumartin
1/3/2012, 01:41 PM
I just found Venables playbook

http://www.danguy.name/NHS1979/004%20blank%20page.jpg

sooneredaco
1/3/2012, 02:12 PM
Hire Mike Stoops!

Jacie
1/3/2012, 02:16 PM
I'd hate to lose a coach with strong recruting ties to Texas.

I was under the impression that was one of the main reasons he was originally hired (away from sa*et) by Stoops.

picasso
1/3/2012, 02:28 PM
You know him and his work? I had a beer with a former UT wideout at West End in '08 who played for BJW at Texas. He said he was by far his best coach he'd had.

NormanPride
1/3/2012, 02:38 PM

Really? BJW is our best recruiter by a wide margin, and has steadily produced great players at every position he has coached.

kbsooner21
1/3/2012, 02:42 PM
Why Curly Bill isn't running the staff is beyond me.

starclassic tama
1/3/2012, 02:46 PM
Really? BJW is our best recruiter by a wide margin, and has steadily produced great players at every position he has coached.you must have forgotten, OU lost multiple games this year which means the entire coaching staff is garbage

goingoneight
1/3/2012, 02:50 PM
Sounds like more wishful thinking. I bet nothing happens and Mike takes a year off.

oumartin
1/3/2012, 02:51 PM
Mikes pretty much had a year off.

SoonerAtKU
1/3/2012, 02:53 PM
Curly has gone to the same emotional place Clark Griswold goes to at the end of every Vacation movie. You don't reason with it, you just try to get out of the way.

Curly Bill
1/3/2012, 03:15 PM
Awww...the sunshine pumpes are out in force today! Oh wait...We won our last game so everything is perfect in Soonerland. Sorry to ruin you guys day.

Curly Bill
1/3/2012, 03:19 PM
...oh, and you guys are cute trying so hard to defend highly-paid grown men. ;)

NormanPride
1/3/2012, 03:22 PM
That's a good point, Curly. I hadn't thought about that.

Curly Bill
1/3/2012, 03:24 PM
That's a good point, Curly. I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks. Sorry I've been away for a while. Now I'm back to help anyway I can. ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2012, 03:44 PM
IF OU wants to hire Mike Stoops, it is a VERY smart move on mike Leach's part to try to hire away one of our best D asst. coaches, esp. one who is an excellent recruiter in TX. Possibly Bob wouldn't try quite as hard to keep BJW if it means making it easier to hire his brother...

SoonerAtKU
1/3/2012, 03:55 PM

You're also pretty cute throwing out all that bathwater without checking for babies. ;)

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2012, 04:25 PM
When BJW was Texas' defensive coordinator, they lost...alot. He'll be the perfect guy to run Leach's "defense." In the Pac-12, no one will notice lack of strong defense outside of USC anyway.

PrideMom
1/3/2012, 04:37 PM
Mike Leach was never concerned about defenses....which is why when he left, OU won the national championship

Herr Scholz
1/3/2012, 04:52 PM
BJW is definitely good for Texas recruiting. Good guy too.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2012, 04:52 PM
Mike Leach was never concerned about defenses....which is why when he left, OU won the national championshipD'Oh!!!

stoopified
1/3/2012, 05:04 PM
You're also pretty cute throwing out all that bathwater without checking for babies. ;) :)

StatesEye
1/3/2012, 05:47 PM
If I remember correctly, BJW was Stoops first hire (officially, that is). He has been very important for OU in recruiting Texas (especially the first couple of years under Stoops).

My son and I both came to the same conclusion the other night when we saw BJW get the bath......BJW departs to make way for Mike. I'm not sure it's the best thing to do, but I really think that's in the works. I have very mixed emotions about Mike's return (and he is returning...almost certainly). Mike is a great schemer and brilliant, brilliant game day play calling coordinator. In that sense I'm glad he is coming back. I'm just not sure how Venables, other coaches and even some of the current players are going to accept Mike having full say for the defense. I just have a uneasy feeling. Oh well....we shall see.

cvsooner
1/3/2012, 06:01 PM
The other possibility is BJW may just be ready to do something else, too.

bluedogok
1/3/2012, 06:15 PM
Maybe Wright moves out of coaching to be the full time recruiting coordinator.

oumartin
1/3/2012, 06:43 PM
maybe BJW told stoops that a two year old could call a defense better than Venables.

cvsooner
1/3/2012, 07:17 PM
Wright is 61 years old. If he's going somewhere else, he'd better do it soon. Or he moves into Merv Johnson's post, who is 75 years old, and possibly thinking about retiring. None of that would surprise me.

usmc-sooner
1/3/2012, 07:46 PM
I think if we kick all the walkons off the team, that will solve all the onfield issues. Plus we could send out requests asking the O Cords of the B12 to not make up hard offenses cause it's not fair.

VA Sooner
1/3/2012, 07:50 PM
I thought Martinez leaving would be the better outcome for the team instead of BJW because of his recruitment ties. How does Mike fit in with Martinez working with the secondary?

cvsooner
1/3/2012, 08:03 PM
Martinez works with BOB Stoops on the secondary now. Having another body on the staff...I don't see it necessarily taking anything from Martinez. I know some people are getting down on him as a coach, but a. they're not his recruits, b. most of 'em actually played pretty well and c. the biggest problems with our defense have been the linebacking play, and so-so d tackle play. We see pass completions and think 'secondary problem' when it's the symptom, not the cause. 'Secondary is primary concern' makes a great headline but it's not necessarily accurate. Biggest problem is the secondary has been trying to help out with the linebackers, who have been average at best for a couple of years. One really good player -- Curtis Lofton or Austin Box -- makes them look a lot better than they are. But we've seen the results when they're not in.

cvsooner
1/3/2012, 08:04 PM
I think if we kick all the walkons off the team, that will solve all the onfield issues. Plus we could send out requests asking the O Cords of the B12 to not make up hard offenses cause it's not fair.That idea has some merit, but... :subdued:

picasso
1/3/2012, 08:56 PM
Kinda like trying to fight off the omelette posse?

sooneron
1/3/2012, 09:11 PM
zang

StoopTroup
1/3/2012, 10:00 PM
lol

StoopTroup
1/3/2012, 10:05 PM
Martinez works with BOB Stoops on the secondary now. Having another body on the staff...I don't see it necessarily taking anything from Martinez. I know some people are getting down on him as a coach, but a. they're not his recruits, b. most of 'em actually played pretty well and c. the biggest problems with our defense have been the linebacking play, and so-so d tackle play. We see pass completions and think 'secondary problem' when it's the symptom, not the cause. 'Secondary is primary concern' makes a great headline but it's not necessarily accurate. Biggest problem is the secondary has been trying to help out with the linebackers, who have been average at best for a couple of years. One really good player -- Curtis Lofton or Austin Box -- makes them look a lot better than they are. But we've seen the results when they're not in.

I believe that if Tom Wort had at least one guy other than Lewis that he and Bird and maybe a couple of backups can resolve those issues. The real problem was trying to convince T-Lew he was hurting the D, not helping. Maybe T-Lew can come back later as a Grad Asst and cheer-lead and run drills for Brent and our D will become a Top 5 again.

PLaw
1/4/2012, 03:26 AM
I would hate to see BJW leave Norman. I think as much as Schmitty, BJW had as much to do with the SOONERS return to glory when Bob came to town. BJW was the conduit to the HS coaches South of the Red and to my understanding is still influential down there. If he is ready to retire, then make him a "Co-Director of Football Ops" along with Merv in the AD's department.

I'm also still on the fence about Mike coming back. Again, Mike did great things while he was here, but it is often more difficult to repeat those types of successes the second time around. Expectations will be (and should be) over the top.

BOOMER.

ashley
1/4/2012, 08:30 AM
BJW is not going anywhere. Forget it. He is not moving to another position on the staff either.