PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops question

SoonerNutt
1/3/2012, 12:03 PM
If Mike Stoops were not officially hired yet, could he contact recruits, or would he be considered a booster due to family affiliation?

If we got rid of a coach (say Martinez for argument's sake), wonder if we lose any recruits that he was involved on.

What are the benifits of hiring Stoops today as opposed to waiting until after signing day?

Personally, I'd do it yesterday if the option were there, but I'm just wondering out loud what might be going on.

Peach Fuzz
1/3/2012, 12:07 PM
you're asking for some well-thought, insightful answers from this group of jackoffs? gl dude

I too, wonder why it's not done if he was basically all but re-signed with the program as some say.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/3/2012, 12:08 PM
I doubt he can talk to recruits, but can be visible as a "consultant" as we saw with Mangino and Rich Rod during the off season. That's just my guess.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2012, 12:12 PM
If Mike Stoops were not officially hired yet, could he contact recruits, or would he be considered a booster due to family affiliation?

If we got rid of a coach (say Martinez for argument's sake), wonder if we lose any recruits that he was involved on.

What are the benifits of hiring Stoops today as opposed to waiting until after signing day?

Personally, I'd do it yesterday if the option were there, but I'm just wondering out loud what might be going on.

Only designated coaches can contact recruits, anyone else is an NCAA violation. He can only talk to players if he isn't getting paid (and thus would qualify as a volunteer), if they pay him, he can't have any interaction with players either.

Maybe, not sure that they are any different than we'd get any other year though

Name recognition. Mike was never someone they sent to a player's home.

Peach Fuzz
1/3/2012, 12:16 PM
Only designated coaches can contact recruits, anyone else is an NCAA violation. He can only talk to players if he isn't getting paid (and thus would qualify as a volunteer), if they pay him, he can't have any interaction with players either.

Maybe, not sure that they are any different than we'd get any other year though

Name recognition. Mike was never someone they sent to a player's home.

I'm confused about your last line, would you elaborate?

SoonerAtKU
1/3/2012, 12:21 PM
Mike was never a "closer" with recruits, from what I understand. There are guys who are good in front of parents and coaches, and there are guys who are good evaluators. Gundy's good in that scenario, Wright is good, Norvell is supposedly good, contrary to the latest reports of discontent. Even Bob was pretty good, I understand, but he doesn't really do that anymore.

Peach Fuzz
1/3/2012, 12:28 PM
I can see him not being the best at visiting the players. I have a harder time believing that he couldn't attract them when they are/were visiting, however.

goingoneight
1/3/2012, 03:12 PM
Why so? He has a reputation as Coach Meanie away from the cameras. Only fans want drill sergeant coaches. 17 year olds adamantly do not.