PDA

View Full Version : Yermom Nip...or MAC ****** ******s

Turd_Ferguson
1/2/2012, 11:51 AM
I have a Macbook we bought a couple of years ago. It's starting to operate a little slow and I was wondering if the Mac's have a scan disk or disk cleanup type utilities. I've looked but haven't seen anything that resembles what the PC has.

The only thing it's used for is surfing the innerwebs and iTunes. The iTunes has about 14G worth of songs on it.

TIA

System Info:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.38f5

yermom
1/2/2012, 12:04 PM
when's the last time it rebooted?

how much space is free?

it should do a file system check and basically defrag every so often on reboot, i think (this is based on other Unix/Linux systems, not Macs, specifically)

in Utilities, there is a performance monitor type thing that will show what is using RAM/CPU

in terminal, i'd start with "df -h" and "top"

NormanPride
1/2/2012, 12:14 PM
Space on the hd is a big part, I know. If you don't have much, the OS struggles to page memory out and things can run slow.

Fraggle145
1/2/2012, 12:15 PM
You can try rebooting it in safe mode. Just shut it down and then when you turn it back on hold down the shift key. Then restart. I just did this and it seems to have helped mine.

in terminal, i'd start with "df -h" and "top"

What does this do?

Turd_Ferguson
1/2/2012, 12:47 PM
when's the last time it rebooted?Usually once or twice a month. I just rebooted this a.m.

how much space is free?

Capacity is 112G

Used is 74G

it should do a file system check and basically defrag every so often on reboot, i think (this is based on other Unix/Linux systems, not Macs, specifically)Ok

in Utilities, there is a performance monitor type thing that will show what is using RAM/CPUok

in terminal, i'd start with "df -h" and "top"What are you talking about?

yermom
1/2/2012, 01:48 PM
"df -h" shows the mounted file systems and how much space there is available on them

"top" shows available memory and CPU and shows the top processes using them

sooneron
1/2/2012, 02:16 PM
Apps>Utilities>Disk Utility>Verify permissions, then repair them. Restart afterwards. Actually, do a total shutdown... Then start up.

You can also verify the disk there, although, I doubt there's anything wrong. You can also download the free app Free Memory from the app store. If you have Snow Leopard. It gives you a constant running count as to how much memory you have avail.

StoopTroup
1/2/2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/sl_box.jpg