PDA

View Full Version : Remodel question

achiro
1/2/2012, 12:55 AM
We've got one of those "nook" areas in the garage in front of where the cars are parked. We put a fridge and freezer there now but otherwise it's not used. There is a small laundry area just as you enter the house from the garage. We are thinking about building a wall(red on the image) and tearing down another(green dashed) to enlarge the laundry and make a pantry. The fridge or freezer would stay, the other would be moved to another area of the garage. It would turn an otherwise wasted space into a very usable area. We could use more storage area of this type but my question is this, when/if we sell the house will it help, hurt, or no impact on the value of the home? I'm also building a very large shop in the back so garage/ work area shouldn't be missed.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i367/achiro1/pantry.jpg

olevetonahill
1/2/2012, 11:11 AM
We've got one of those "nook" areas in the garage in front of where the cars are parked. We put a fridge and freezer there now but otherwise it's not used. There is a small laundry area just as you enter the house from the garage. We are thinking about building a wall(red on the image) and tearing down another(green dashed) to enlarge the laundry and make a pantry. The fridge or freezer would stay, the other would be moved to another area of the garage. It would turn an otherwise wasted space into a very usable area. We could use more storage area of this type but my question is this, when/if we sell the house will it help, hurt, or no impact on the value of the home? I'm also building a very large shop in the back so garage/ work area shouldn't be missed.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i367/achiro1/pantry.jpg

It shouldnt hurt in any way , I'd think adding Living Space would add to the value, Just be sure the small wall you are planning on taking out is not a Load bearing wall. If the home was built with Factory made Trusses then it proll isn't.
Also if You live INside the city limits make sure ya dont need a Permit 1st

Sooner5030
1/2/2012, 11:22 AM
not in the appraisal business but I doubt it would impact it any. Assuming it's done within code! Is the garage Slab the same elevation has the house floor? Are you doing this yourself or will you hire someone? will this require any change in electrical, water or sewer lines?

SoonerorLater
1/2/2012, 06:05 PM
I did a similar remodel about 10 years ago. I had a large closet area at the front of the garage. By moving the wall out I was able able to create a 4th bedroom / office for minimal cost. More than recovered my cost when we sold the house.

cleller
1/3/2012, 08:45 AM
I'm also curious about whether there is a step-up from the garage level into the house. With me, yes. My brother's house, no. Nothing that couldn't be overcome, but would add a little complexity.

Luckily, it looks like the plumbing in the laundry room is on the opposite wall. Is all the ductwork, return air to the heater up in the attic? Any way this could impact a drain in that heater closet? May have an electrical outlet to re-route in that garage "nook" area.

I like some extra room in the garage, but most people might like the pantry idea better. If you are building a permanent shop area somewhere, that should overcome anyone's concerns about storage space lost in the garage. Just make sure it all looks professional in the end.

cleller
1/3/2012, 08:45 AM
I'm also curious about whether there is a step-up from the garage level into the house. With me, yes. My brother's house, no. Nothing that couldn't be overcome, but would add a little complexity.

Luckily, it looks like the plumbing in the laundry room is on the opposite wall. Is all the ductwork, return air to the heater up in the attic? Any way this could impact a drain in that heater closet? May have an electrical outlet to re-route in that garage "nook" area.

I like some extra room in the garage, but most people might like the pantry idea better. If you are building a permanent shop area somewhere, that should overcome anyone's concerns about storage space lost in the garage. Just make sure it all looks professional in the end.

pphilfran
1/3/2012, 10:18 AM
If it will benefit you go ahead and do it...cost should be minimal...

How about leaving enough space for the freezer and taking the rest of the room for the new pantry?

achiro
1/3/2012, 11:34 AM
There is a step up but it runs the full width of the garage and the "nook" area is the same level as the house.
I think we will leave a space for the freezer in the pantry, you could always just put a bookshelf type thing there in its place if you didn't want a freezer or fridge there.

jiminy
1/3/2012, 06:24 PM
Why not make it half pantry and half gun rack? The Yankees are coming...

achiro
1/3/2012, 06:52 PM
Why not make it half pantry and half gun rack? The Yankees are coming...
Mainly because I'm an archery guy, that's the main reason for the shop. ;)