PDA

View Full Version : When Can a President Execute a Citizen Without Trial?

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2012, 09:25 PM
See where the GOP candidates stand on the issue.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/12/29/us/election-news/candidates-on-executive-power.html

Midtowner
1/2/2012, 12:01 AM
Huntsman probably shows the best understanding of the issues (as usual). He'd win the general election.

KantoSooner
1/3/2012, 12:01 PM
Huntsman has 50-100 IQ points on every other Rep hopeful. (and something like 150 on Perry, which implies that Perry is in negative territory, literally dummer than a box of rocks). And a good 30 or more on Obama. Pity that he's got close to zero chance.

Midtowner
1/3/2012, 12:03 PM
I wish that I could say with confidence that we had a SCOTUS who would stand up to this clearly unconstitutional excess of the other two branches, but I doubt it.

KantoSooner
1/3/2012, 01:48 PM
If we had a legislative branch that legislated, it would go a long way toward reining in both the executive and judicial. To be fair, a lot of the overreach by the latter two has been generated by the need of someone to legislate and the obdurate refusal of congress to do their jobs.

AlboSooner
1/3/2012, 08:39 PM
Huntsman has 50-100 IQ points on every other Rep hopeful. (and something like 150 on Perry, which implies that Perry is in negative territory, literally dummer than a box of rocks). And a good 30 or more on Obama. Pity that he's got close to zero chance.

Agree.

Paul made the least sense.

I am reading the book "Black Banners" written by a veteran ex FBI agent specialized in anti-terrorism. US citizens have a long history of undertaking terrorism, and aiding foreign terrorism in killing Americans and hurting US interests.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2012, 09:01 PM
Agree.

Paul made the least sense.

I am reading the book "Black Banners" written by a veteran ex FBI agent specialized in anti-terrorism. US citizens have a long history of undertaking terrorism, and aiding foreign terrorism in killing Americans and hurting US interests.
You are wrong.
What doesn't make sense to you?

Killerbees
1/4/2012, 09:13 PM
I must have read it differently than most. My take.

First the question was asking about the legality of sanction assasination, not about 1 soldier killing another soldier on the battlefield. It is asking "Under what circumstances can the President order the assasination of a US citizen"

Gingrich- The prez can kill anybody during wartime or for national security.

Huntsman = fail. Totally missed the question.

Paul- none, pretty clear to me. Paul doesn't think the president can ever order the assasination of a US citizen.

Romney and Perry- both say about the same thing ( romney convolutes it a lot but eventually makes the same point). They would declare them an enemy combatant then order the hit if it was in the interest of national security.