PDA

View Full Version : How the SEC Came to Rule College Football

Sabanball
1/1/2012, 07:24 PM
Oversigning, oversigning, and.....oversigning, right? Well, that's part of it, according to this writer from outside SEC country.... Pretty good and (I think)accurate read--

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111231/SPORTS/712319797

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 08:16 PM
2002 and 2003 OU beat Bama home and away. Lots of folks felt the Big XII was building a powerhouse and they felt that Bob was using the BCS to get his Team into the MNC Games unfairly. Then the attacks on the BCS started. Along with the attacks even came some Sooner Fans who wanted a playoff system. I still don't see the logic in their argument. You don't fix what's broke IMO.

Now the Big XII has fallen apart after Nebraska failed to take down SEC Teams as well as slow down Bob and the Sooners. Basically they took their football home because they were tired of losing. Nebraska's exit and somewhat Colorado only served to further the Schools who weren't happy that the Big XII didn't replace NU quickly so that they might replace NU in the North to solidify their spot as the Team that would play the South for the Big XII Championship every year. They started a mess in Columbia and eventually made leaving seem more attractive that sticking it out and taking their place as an almost shoe in in the North if they would just win games.

What becomes true for Mizzou as well as Texas A&M is that they couldn't win tough games even in the years where they did finally upset OU.

The crying and whining and gnashing of teeth now have things as they are and we will see things change for the better in the Big XII while the SEC will become loaded with even more "MEH" Teams.

Currently Bama and LSU are the two teams that are in a similar position that Texas and OU were in back when OU was winning those games against Bama. We definitely upset the applecart back then and now things have changed and the PAC 10 is now 12 and the SEC is now an even bigger mess. There will be more Schools to make happy and once they see that money is no substitute for winning and competing for BCS Bowls and MNCs the amount of Schools unhappy will rise in not only the SEC but in the PAC 12.

I like where the Teams in the Big XII are positioned right now. We have a couple of new Schools who will more than likely enjoy the positives that our Conference will bring. I as a Fan don't look forward to getting to West Virginia to see an away Game and I'm sure their Fans will take some getting used to it. Thing is....OU is still in a good position and as long as texas stays around instead of continue to look around for some other Conference....things will more than likely smooth out. The SEC and the PAC 12....I look to see tons of controversy just like what we went through the last 5 years. None of these other Conferences are going to sit around being the SECs bitch and it won't be long until we see Schools and Conferences complaining that the SEC is creating a monster monopoly in the NCAA and we might just see a playoff system come to pass.

The entire ESPN owning most all the Bowl Games is also another Power move that will soon come under attack IMO. The minor Bowls probably are making some OK money for now....but if you mess with that and they begin to struggle or not increase the money they need to function....you will see unhappiness especially if they are locked out of a Playoff System. If the Playoff System is done with Home and Away Games on College Campuses and these places like Jerry World, Arrowhead, GeorgiaDome, SuperDome, Pro Player Stadium, The Rose Bowl etc...get locked out....we will see huge whining and gnashing of teeth.

It's all about money baby and if the SEC thinks they are gonna just walk away with a larger chunk every year forever....it won't be long until they are under attack just like the Big XII was.

There are some good points made in that article but there are some huge craptastical statements too.

Sabanball
1/1/2012, 08:28 PM
2002 and 2003 OU beat Bama home and away. Lots of folks felt the Big XII was building a powerhouse and they felt that Bob was using the BCS to get his Team into the MNC Games unfairly. Then the attacks on the BCS started. Along with the attacks even came some Sooner Fans who wanted a playoff system. I still don't see the logic in their argument. You don't fix what's broke IMO.

Now the Big XII has fallen apart after Nebraska failed to take down SEC Teams as well as slow down Bob and the Sooners. Basically they took their football home because they were tired of losing. Nebraska's exit and somewhat Colorado only served to further the Schools who weren't happy that the Big XII didn't replace NU quickly so that they might replace NU in the North to solidify their spot as the Team that would play the South for the Big XII Championship every year. They started a mess in Columbia and eventually made leaving seem more attractive that sticking it out and taking their place as an almost shoe in in the North if they would just win games.

What becomes true for Mizzou as well as Texas A&M is that they couldn't win tough games even in the years where they did finally upset OU.

The crying and whining and gnashing of teeth now have things as they are and we will see things change for the better in the Big XII while the SEC will become loaded with even more "MEH" Teams.

Currently Bama and LSU are the two teams that are in a similar position that Texas and OU were in back when OU was winning those games against Bama. We definitely upset the applecart back then and now things have changed and the PAC 10 is now 12 and the SEC is now an even bigger mess. There will be more Schools to make happy and once they see that money is no substitute for winning and competing for BCS Bowls and MNCs the amount of Schools unhappy will rise in not only the SEC but in the PAC 12.

I like where the Teams in the Big XII are positioned right now. We have a couple of new Schools who will more than likely enjoy the positives that our Conference will bring. I as a Fan don't look forward to getting to West Virginia to see an away Game and I'm sure their Fans will take some getting used to it. Thing is....OU is still in a good position and as long as texas stays around instead of continue to look around for some other Conference....things will more than likely smooth out. The SEC and the PAC 12....I look to see tons of controversy just like what we went through the last 5 years. None of these other Conferences are going to sit around being the SECs bitch and it won't be long until we see Schools and Conferences complaining that the SEC is creating a monster monopoly in the NCAA and we might just see a playoff system come to pass.

The entire ESPN owning most all the Bowl Games is also another Power move that will soon come under attack IMO. The minor Bowls probably are making some OK money for now....but if you mess with that and they begin to struggle or not increase the money they need to function....you will see unhappiness especially if they are locked out of a Playoff System. If the Playoff System is done with Home and Away Games on College Campuses and these places like Jerry World, Arrowhead, GeorgiaDome, SuperDome, Pro Player Stadium, The Rose Bowl etc...get locked out....we will see huge whining and gnashing of teeth.

It's all about money baby and if the SEC thinks they are gonna just walk away with a larger chunk every year forever....it won't be long until they are under attack just like the Big XII was.

There are some good points made in that article but there are some huge craptastical statements too.

I agree, it looked to me like the article was well -written and researched, and by someone not associated with the SEC or the South, so no bias or looking through "SEC-colored" glasses, pretty objective I thought. What statements that were made did you take issue with? Just curious.

Btw, EVERYBODY was beating Bama back during the Shula years/earlier part of this decade, much like the Sooners in the mid/late '90s, you guys just happened to be one of many teams administering the whipping(though I thought despite the HUGE talent/coaching disparity in both of our games I thought we still played you pretty tough)...;)

soonervegas
1/1/2012, 08:44 PM
Pretty interesting article....

1. Defense

2. Coaching

3. A little luck (I don't think SEC goes 2-0 against OU on a "neutral site")

The SEC essentially stuck to what has worked for 120 years while other conferences went out looking for the end of the rainbow.

Sabanball
1/1/2012, 09:16 PM
Pretty interesting article....

1. Defense

2. Coaching

3. A little luck (I don't think SEC goes 2-0 against OU on a "neutral site")The SEC essentially stuck to what has worked for 120 years while other conferences went out looking for the end of the rainbow.

Maybe not, but we'll never know.

I really thought the part about the population shift that took place in the last 30 yrs to the South was real interesting and how that helps account for the size of the talent pool that the SEC teams have to draw from, vs specifically the Rust belt states of the Big 10 like Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania that have been bleeding residents for years now.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 09:40 PM
If we are bleeding population....I sure wish they'd continue you leave because it's getting harder and harder to get around Tulsa

I know OKC didn't get an NBA Franchise because it was shrinking....lol

Sabanball
1/1/2012, 09:51 PM
If we are bleeding population....I sure wish they'd continue you leave because it's getting harder and harder to get around Tulsa

I know OKC didn't get an NBA Franchise because it was shrinking....lol

Big 10 states are the ones that have lost population in huge numbers, not the lower Midwest where you guys are at. I haven't looked it up, but if I had to guess, Oklahoma has probably grown population in the last 10 yrs, much like Texas has...still on a per capita basis, the state of Oklahoma does not put out that much talent, thus the reason your recruiting base is Texas. Tennessee is much like Oklahoma, in that they rely heavily on out of state kids for their program as well...

The interesting phenomena to watch over the next 5-10 yrs I think will be, with TAMU now in the SEC and with the so-called "Katrina effect" with so many NO transplants now living in Houston/Galveston, is if our conference can make serious inroads into the Texas market for talent.

OkieThunderLion
1/1/2012, 09:59 PM
3. A little luck (I don't think SEC goes 2-0 against OU on a "neutral site")

Agree. Kind of rotten luck that in 3 of the 4 NCGs Stoops has gone to he's had to play in the opponents home state.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 10:01 PM
[/B]

I agree, it looked to me like the article was well -written and researched, and by someone not associated with the SEC or the South, so no bias or looking through "SEC-colored" glasses, pretty objective I thought. What statements that were made did you take issue with? Just curious.

Power Source #5.

The bowl format — where the national title game comes after a month off — aids SEC defenses as they prepare for high-octane offenses. Ohio State managed 82 total yards against Florida. Oklahoma (2008) and Oregon ('10) also struggled.

I guess he can claim it was a Defense that helped phlorida win that game against us but I think most Sooners still believe it was more bad play calling by our Offensive Coordinator. You have a guy like Sam Bradford who has set records for passing at OU and in the Red Zone you run the ball when the reason you have phlorida on their heels is because Sam is lighting them up with his arm? I think it was defintely bad play calling more than defense but indeed that year both phlorida and OU did have really good defenses and OU did indeed hold off Tebow until the 4th quarter only to allow him to pull his game saving BS he was well know for.

I was at that game and once Home rolled over the replay at least 8 times. OU rushed for over 100 yards and threw for 256 yards. The games outcome might show a 24-14 point win by the gaytors but there was lots of offense in the game....the scoring fails to appear due to bad play calling. Indeed you can claim the two phlorida goal line stands in the 2nd quarter were incredible defensive stops but we all know it was really bad play calling. The stats prove what I'm getting at. Phlorida did indeed stop the run but Bradford was 26 for 41 and completed 63.4% in completions. had Wilson called passes instead of try to establish a ground game on the goal line....the games outcome could have very well been much different and instead of OU going to the locker room with zero momentum...it would have been 21-7 OU instead of tied. OU really took it to Phlorida in the 1st half and everyone knows that Wilson screwed up.

I of cOUrse am very biased but not really wrong.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 10:04 PM
Agree. Kind of rotten luck that in 3 of the 4 NCGs Stoops has gone to he's had to play in the opponents home state.

Another good point. 2008 was like a huge Home Game for Phlorida. The loss to LSU was in their Home State and we all know that the SUC Game no longer exists due to some very shady events that rendered the game as not on the books.

Sabanball
1/1/2012, 10:08 PM
Power Source #5.

I guess he can claim it was a Defense that helped phlorida win that game against us but I think most Sooners still believe it was more bad play calling by our Offensive Coordinator. You have a guy like Sam Bradford who has set records for passing at OU and in the Red Zone you run the ball when the reason you have phlorida on their heels is because Sam is lighting them up with his arm? I think it was defintely bad play calling more than defense but indeed that year both phlorida and OU did have really good defenses and OU did indeed hold off Tebow until the 4th quarter only to allow him to pull his game saving BS he was well know for.

I was at that game and once Home rolled over the replay at least 8 times. OU rushed for over 100 yards and threw for 256 yards. The games outcome might show a 24-14 point win by the gaytors but there was lots of offense in the game....the scoring fails to appear due to bad play calling. Indeed you can claim the two phlorida goal line stands in the 2nd quarter were incredible defensive stops but we all know it was really bad play calling. The stats prove what I'm getting at. Phlorida did indeed stop the run but Bradford was 26 for 41 and completed 63.4% in completions. had Wilson called passes instead of try to establish a ground game on the goal line....the games outcome could have very well been much different and instead of OU going to the locker room with zero momentum...it would have been 21-7 OU instead of tied. OU really took it to Phlorida in the 1st half and everyone knows that Wilson screwed up.

I of cOUrse am very biased but not really wrong.

I see......so, Oklahoma 'beat' Oklahoma, not Florida? Kinda like Bama outgained LSU in almost every category except on the scoreboard back on Nov. 5th....;)

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 10:11 PM
I see......so, Oklahoma 'beat' Oklahoma, not Florida? Kinda like Bama outgained LSU in almost every category except on the scoreboard back on Nov. 5th....;)

Hey...that was on your Home turf. Pretty embarrassing you couldn't find your own EZ IMO. Plus you've had since Nov 5th to fire your OC, That was our last game of the year and was a BCS Championship....not a regular Season game that we could lose and later get another chance at.

soonervegas
1/1/2012, 10:21 PM
The BCS will have been in existence 14 years.....

If you include ALL Florida schools, the SEC, and OU/Texas as part of the "south" they have won 12 of the 14. The only two that have not:

OSU - on a controversial pass interference call on a south school (Miami)

USC - (stripped) beating another south school (OU) and avoiding another (Auburn)

Sabanball
1/1/2012, 10:21 PM
Hey...that was on your Home turf. Pretty embarrassing you couldn't find your own EZ IMO. Plus you've had since Nov 5th to fire your OC, That was our last game of the year and was a BCS Championship....not a regular Season game that we could lose and later get another chance at.

My point was we dominated the game in almost all facets but LOST--and this Bama fan has never tried to make any excuses. We didn't execute and LSU had A LOT to do with that. I'm just surprised that, at least it appears, you're trying to blame venue for your losses, and you're in essence giving yourself 'cover' for matchups that might happen in the future in the Superdome or Orange Bowl in case you lose. Newsflash...the BCS championship game will never be played in OKC.

badger
1/1/2012, 10:27 PM
I don't really care about SEC's current dominance because all of that winning will cause the conference to self-implode. Phil Fulmer used to be responsible for SEC coaches getting fired, then the new guys got his arse canned when he wasn't stealing recruits from their states anymore. Big shiny expensive facilities, coaching contracts and ticket prices will only make alumni, boosters and leadership more impatient to win faster and win more. The pressure to win more gets to even the best of coaches and even if it doesn't, it won't stop others from trying to get the wins coming themselves. Yes, cheating.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/2/2012, 10:54 AM
My simple explanation is the SEC has had great success in recruiting coupled with having some great coaches. Look at who has been winning national championships and you also see teams who have dominated the recruiting wars over the last ten years (Texas, USC, Florida, Alabama, LSU). Recruiting is not a perfect indicator of performance on an individual basis, but the averages do have a high relation to success on the field.

Look at the composition of NFL rosters and you see heavy representation from this same group of schools, with many of them being from the defensive side (the author's #5 point about SEC, and the same can be said for USC/Texas).

Too bad the ninnies who want to whine about Bob Stoops & Co. cant look at this and ask themselves what it says about a coach who's recruiting ratings has not kept pace with the mentioned teams, yet he's had his team in the NC Game more than anyone else during the last 10 years.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/2/2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.census.gov/population/www/censusdata/maps/density7.jpg

soonercoop1
1/2/2012, 11:22 AM
Oversigning, oversigning, and.....oversigning, right? Well, that's part of it, according to this writer from outside SEC country.... Pretty good and (I think)accurate read--

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111231/SPORTS/712319797

U forgot ESPIN...also the NCAAs lack of investigation or enforcement as well...

LRoss
1/2/2012, 11:26 AM
Did this chart shift dramatically six years ago?

I think the question is "what changed 6 years ago to contribute to the SEC dominance?" I haven't seen any evidence that there's been a huge Black migration from B12, Pac-XX, B1G, ACC, and Big East territory to Louisiana and Mississippi -- I'm awfully suspicious it's been that way for a while.

SoonerKnight
1/2/2012, 11:29 AM
My point was we dominated the game in almost all facets but LOST--and this Bama fan has never tried to make any excuses. We didn't execute and LSU had A LOT to do with that. I'm just surprised that, at least it appears, you're trying to blame venue for your losses, and you're in essence giving yourself 'cover' for matchups that might happen in the future in the Superdome or Orange Bowl in case you lose. Newsflash...the BCS championship game will never be played in OKC.

If you had watched our games that year. We threw in the EZ all year. Mostly to the TE and we went away with TD's. That game we decided to not throw it but to run it. That is **** poor play calling. No one is denying that florida was a good team but we did light them up and we were moving and had we thrown instead of ran we might have won. I agree with that!

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2012, 12:25 PM
"Speed kills" - Barry Switzer

The South has speed. SEC will be on top as long as they have defenses-minded coaches to harness the embarrassing riches of speed that region of the country has.

goingoneight
1/2/2012, 01:01 PM
OU and Texas have speed, too. That's kinda why they put really good players in the Neffel fairly consistently. The SEC is a collection of powerhouse programs raking in money from TV contracts and fan support. Much like OU and Texas do. With good coaches and recruiting, it's not hard to sell a Cam Newton on playing in those environments.
Also, there is definitely an argument that holds water in the whole oversigning thing. If there wasn't, the conference wouldn't be taking action against it.

Soonerwake
1/2/2012, 01:35 PM
Watching bowls this morning has highlighted that the Big XII has really lost some luster. 4 games - 4 Big 10 and 3 SEC. All ranked teams. So, OU and Texas were ranked and played who in what early bowl?

Blue
1/2/2012, 01:38 PM
Watching bowls this morning has highlighted that the Big XII has really lost some luster. 4 games - 4 Big 10 and 3 SEC. All ranked teams. So, OU and Texas were ranked and played who in what early bowl?

I think it's just that the bowl tie-ins are garbage. 3 Big 10-SEC games is a joke. We should get more matchups considering we are a better conference.

JiminyChristmas
1/2/2012, 01:49 PM

It might be pretty close some day though. Don't think they will keep Jerry's World and the Cotton Bowl out of the loop forever. It WILL get in the rotation.

MichiganSooner
1/2/2012, 02:10 PM
I think it's just that the bowl tie-ins are garbage. 3 Big 10-SEC games is a joke. We should get more matchups considering we are a better conference.

This is it. Lots of Big 10/SEC games playing today and every year at bowl time.

MeMyself&Me
1/2/2012, 04:27 PM
The Big 12's bowl tie-ins are weak because the Big 12's leadership has been weak. This is nothing new, the Big 12 has had sucky bowl tie-ins for a long time.

FaninAma
1/2/2012, 04:30 PM
http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/2011/02/12/the-worst-article-ever-written-on-oversigning/

cleller
1/2/2012, 05:43 PM

Sometimes the simplest answers are overlooked.

Add in a few other facets:
Southern schools initially were unable to pay as much to coaches until all the big money from TV, etc began rolling in the last few decades.

The weather is better.

Never too far from some sort of beach.

badger
1/2/2012, 05:47 PM
Sometimes the simplest answers are overlooked.

Add in a few other facets:
Southern schools initially were unable to pay as much to coaches until all the big money from TV, etc began rolling in the last few decades.

The weather is better.

Never too far from some sort of beach.

There also might be the little factor of migration away from the rust belt to the sunnier areas, not just in retirement, but in the boring working years too.

People go where there are jobs, and increasingly, the jobs are in the south. So, they move their families to Texas, Oklahoma, and SEC country.

The best college athletes tend to stay close to home and if home is in the south... sorry, THE Ohio State! Momma wants to be able to watch me in person on Saturdays!

It was said that the air conditioner destroyed the midwest's economy. Who knew that it would also destroy their stranglehold (remember, Michigan is all-time winningest and THE Ohio State has more Heismans than any other school... add Notre Dame's 8 championships if you don't believe in Bammer math) on college football.

SoonerorLater
1/2/2012, 06:13 PM

Holy Cow no wonder we beat Iowa.

Sooners78
1/4/2012, 11:07 AM

But, I could see it being played in Dallas in the near future. SEC doesn't want any part of that. I don't use venue as excuses, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed to be more fair to all schools. It's easy to say homefield doesn't matter when your team benefits from the homefield advantage.

NYC Poke
1/4/2012, 02:38 PM
Interesting hearing this from Nebraska. Anyone remember their "walk-on" program? That was as corrupt as anything in college football ever.

cantwait48
1/5/2012, 01:57 AM
I think the sec has always had fertile recruiting grounds in florida, bama, louisiana, mississippi, etc. It is all about the sec being able to atract the top coaches. As OU fans we should know more than anyone it helps to have a great program, tradition, facilities but it does not mean squat if you don't have the right head man. Meyer, Saban and Miles are really good coaches. Take those 3 out of the sec and the conference would not be where it is now.

NYC Poke
1/5/2012, 03:20 AM
If we're talking coaches, let's not forget to mention Spurrier and The Bear.

Let's also not forget to mention that Miles, Muschamp, and Chizik all used to coach in the Big XII. And Pellini played a big part in helping Miles get his first MNC.

And TT at TT had great success at Auburn but so far is a failure in the Big XII.

There's a reason why those guys can go from being good-to-average elsewhere and being enormously successful in the SEC, and it all goes to lax enforcement of recruiting/eligibility rules. It's a free-and-easy attitude.

How did an NFL-quality QB with 2 years of eligibility left get from Blinn College not far from Austin all the way to Auburn at a time that UT was in desperate need of a QB?

Follow the money.

$EC!!!

Russ
1/5/2012, 11:12 AM
How did that same QB not go to A&M which was only 5 miles away

LSUdeek
1/5/2012, 01:41 PM
Let's also not forget to mention that Miles, Muschamp, and Chizik all used to coach in the Big XII. And Pellini played a big part in helping Miles get his first MNC.

Gene Chizik was the DC at Auburn during the 2004 undefeated season prior to his move to Texas. Muschamp also DC'd at LSU and Auburn prior to going to Texas and is a Georgia graduate.

The Big 12 gets no credit for these two assistants.

And TT at TT had great success at Auburn but so far is a failure in the Big XII.

There's a reason why those guys can go from being good-to-average elsewhere and being enormously successful in the SEC, and it all goes to lax enforcement of recruiting/eligibility rules. It's a free-and-easy attitude.

It has nothing to do with the fact that Ames and Lubbock are ****holes. Nothing at all.

If you think that your beloved pokes' recent rise ISN'T due to the enormous amount of money that has recently been infused by Boone, you're a moron.

How did an NFL-quality QB with 2 years of eligibility left get from Blinn College not far from Austin all the way to Auburn at a time that UT was in desperate need of a QB?

Follow the money.

$EC!!!

He originally was recruited and played 2 years at Florida and is from the ATL in SEC country. Why would he go to an inferior conference? (I'm not saying that he wasn't paid but he also wasn't coming to the Big XII regardless)

fwsooner22
1/5/2012, 02:21 PM
Gene Chizik was the DC at Auburn during the 2004 undefeated season prior to his move to Texas. Muschamp also DC'd at LSU and Auburn prior to going to Texas and is a Georgia graduate.

The Big 12 gets no credit for these two assistants.

1) He was paid to go where he went. It's similar to OJ. You can play both sides but you're the moron if you take the "i'm not sure side".

2) Alabama and LSU have more speed and better defenses than anyone in the country. Therefore, they deserve to be where they are. Until the others (including OU) go back to playing football the way it was meant to be played what you see Monday night will remain.

3) Money helps a ton but it does NOT get you there.

4) You have to be willing to bend or break the rules. Right now we CAN'T. Caught too many times with our hand in the cookie jar in the last decade.

The rest is just posters' fun !

It has nothing to do with the fact that Ames and Lubbock are ****holes. Nothing at all.

If you think that your beloved pokes' recent rise ISN'T due to the enormous amount of money that has recently been infused by Boone, you're a moron.

He originally was recruited and played 2 years at Florida and is from the ATL in SEC country. Why would he go to an inferior conference? (I'm not saying that he wasn't paid but he also wasn't coming to the Big XII regardless)

Blah, Blah, Blah

Here is what we know.......

cantwait48
1/5/2012, 05:32 PM
If we're talking coaches, let's not forget to mention Spurrier and The Bear.

Follow the money.

$EC!!!

why would we include the bear and spurrier?, the sec was not dominant when they were there, the sec can only be perceived as dominant over the last 5-6 years really as they have had both the national champion and most years the deepest conference. Before that other teams outside of the sec were winning titles like fsu, ou, texas, usc, miami, ohio state. Now the sec is on quite an impressive roll of several in a row and the reason boils down to 3 good head coaches teaming up with 3 good programs, really no reason to complicate it any further than that.