PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?

Jacie
1/1/2012, 05:33 PM
Inevitably, a top recruit has promised to pick his school from a hat

By Matt Hinton

USC. Notre Dame. One of the most prestigious rivalries in sports, spanning 22 national championships, 14 Heisman Trophy winners and nine Hall-of-Fame coaches over more than eight decades. Two wealthy, balanced programs known for maintaining solid academic reputations alongside athletic excellence, on two of the most storied campuses in the country. Two programs that expect championships and count anything less as a disappointment. All of that junk.

Choosing between the Irish and Trojans is not really a decision you can get wrong, is what I'm saying. Which is precisely the reasoning behind four-star Fresno, Calif., cornerback Tee Shepard's apparent decision to choose his destination by picking between two slips of paper in a hat:

Shepard, committed to Notre Dame since March, said during Friday's practice that at the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl on Jan. 3 he will put two pieces of paper with Notre Dame and USC written on them in a hat, pull one out and sign with that school.

"I'm going to pull it out of a hat on game day," Shepard said. "Whatever I pull that's going to be it. It's kind of crazy and then it's not because both schools are good. There are no bad choices."

Shepard seemed genuine in his plan and said USC has continued to recruit him following his and Greenberry's visit there in the last few weeks after Fresno (Calif.) Washington Union won its state title game.

Okay, maybe "reasoning" isn't the right word. "Juvenile stunt" would probably be more appropriate. But then, Shepard is a juvenile, and as the No. 82 overall player in the 2012 recruiting class according to Rivals, he currently commands the attention of professional scouts, millionaire coaches, hordes of fawning Internet recruitniks and assorted hangers-on alike. So who can blame him for playing to the audience?

At any rate, USC's part in the equation will come as a major disappointment to Notre Dame, which has counted Shepard as a solid verbal commit for months. His equally hyped high school teammate, Deontay Greenberry — a blue-chip wide receiver who's earned explicit comparisons to Larry Fitzgerald — has also pledged his signature to the Irish, and has shown no signs of waffling. In fact, Greenberry told Rivals' Adam Gorney today that he's ruled out USC entirely, and is bound for South Bend even if Shepard winds up picking the Trojans. Not he buys the lottery gimmick, anyway: "[Shepard]'s not going to SC," Greenberry told Gorney. "I know."

Whatever you say, man. Hey, I'm not here to judge the decision-making process of a 17-year-old. I'm just saying: If the kid actually goes through with it, he sounds like Lane Kiffin's kind of guy to me.

rekamrettuB
1/1/2012, 07:45 PM
It would be funny if he already decided and both pieces said USC.

picasso
1/1/2012, 07:56 PM
I like it when none of the schools are recruiting the kid and he picks a hat.

badger
1/1/2012, 11:07 PM
Next time you find yourself trying to decide between two types of soda at the vending machine, hit both buttons at once and see which one appears. I guarantee you that the one you really wanted doesn't fall.

As such, I would have to say that there's no way he leaves his college choice to chance and likely has the paper slip thing fixed... or isn't gonna go through with it. It's one thing to let a soda machine decide what you will drink... it's quite another to let chance decide where you're gonna spend your college years.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2012, 11:49 PM
This kid has a future in reality TV.

Scott D
1/2/2012, 12:22 PM
I like it when none of the schools are recruiting the kid and he picks a hat.

God that kid was hilarious a few years ago.

Dan Thompson
1/2/2012, 12:29 PM
So USC and ND have 22 National Championships... I stop reading right there.

101sooner
1/2/2012, 12:32 PM
So USC and ND have 22 National Championships... I stop reading right there.

22 each!

badger
1/2/2012, 12:34 PM
God that kid was hilarious a few years ago.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/images/02/08/p1_hart.jpg

I read the backstory that ESPN did a year later and reading how in his warped mind, he had to do it because everyone was saying he was too stupid for college, so he does the stupidest thing he could possibly do... and all I could think when all of this was going down was "Wow, he really WAS stupid."

cccasooner2
1/2/2012, 12:36 PM
Time for a CalTech saboteur to send the kid to Arky State.

StoopTroup
1/2/2012, 02:35 PM
One of the greatest written statements I've read in a long time....

hordes of fawning Internet recruitniks and assorted hangers-on alike

badger
1/2/2012, 03:05 PM
One of the greatest written statements I've read in a long time....

Yeah... and then the attention whorn loses all of that as soon as the LOI arrives at a school. I've heard its quite a shock for some 5-stars to go from "I want you I need you oh baby oh baby" to being screamed at by a strength and conditioning coach for running a 40 in too many hundredths :D

I Am Right
1/2/2012, 03:32 PM
Let them have their 15 seconds of fame.

badger
1/2/2012, 04:03 PM
Let them have their 15 seconds of fame.

Only if they're considering OU. If not, eff em :D