PDA

View Full Version : Fathers

Sooner Cal
1/1/2012, 12:26 PM
Not a good week for dads. Let's start with Dejuan Miller's dad, if he is the one who tweeted all the negative stuff. Acting like a little league parent when your kid is playing D1 football is shameful. The man must be in his 40's when he had his Gundy moment. But the difference is that Gundy had a legitimate point, while Mr. Miller is just bellyaching. Mr. Miller, your son isn't playing sports to make you happy anymore. At this level, it's his job and he does it for himself. What he puts into it is what he gets out of it. Perhaps you expect too much. Perhaps Dejuan doesn't have it. In high school, he was noticed because of his size and physical attributes. In college, it's about work ethic and talent. Does anyone really believe a coach would leave a deserving player on the bench or uninvolved for no legitimate reason. If a father has an issue about his kid's playing time or involvement in the game, take it up with the kid.

Mario Edwards Sr. didn't honor other dads either. You let your son play the recruiting game, wasting everyone's time for his ego. Then, he shows his immaturity by making negative comments about his hosts. If he were my son, he'd be in deep sh*!. But I suspect you think this is all part of the game. Rudeness is never justified. Just another Myron Rolle. His father didn't even make Myron call Bob before announcing for FSU, hardly impressive.

Perhaps I expect too much. I knew better at 17. My dad would never have allowed me to act so childishly and he certainly would never have vented like Mr. Miller. Maybe those men are just spoiled.

BajaOklahoma
1/1/2012, 12:53 PM
I work in an elementary school. For a number of years, we have seen a decline in the number of children with manners and a sense of responsibility. We work on manners and taking responsibility for your actions, but the lack of parental support constantly amazes us. Kids need to learn their are consequences for their actions and that it isn't the end of the world to get in trouble. They need to learn to deal with people they don't like - it's going to happen in the real world.

ashley
1/1/2012, 12:53 PM
Great post.

cleller
1/1/2012, 01:52 PM
I always like to see Oklahoma kids land at OU. When the chips are down some big mouth from Florida will flake off before a home grown kid.

Gimme a bunch of Rocky Calmus types.

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2012, 02:04 PM
Crack heads should not be fathers.

ashley
1/1/2012, 04:37 PM
Crack heads should not be fathers.

You get the prize of the day.

VA Sooner
1/1/2012, 05:33 PM
Have to agree with the general decline in our kids and their attitudes these days... nobody wants to work for the things that are meaningful.... hoping their "talent" is all they need and when they get to the next level it's the sudden discovery of sheer disappointment that there are a lot of kids out there with the talent and that it takes more than that to be a stud on the field.

LVSOONER15
1/1/2012, 07:02 PM
I work in an elementary school. For a number of years, we have seen a decline in the number of children with manners and a sense of responsibility. We work on manners and taking responsibility for your actions, but the lack of parental support constantly amazes us. Kids need to learn their are consequences for their actions and that it isn't the end of the world to get in trouble. They need to learn to deal with people they don't like - it's going to happen in the real world.

Very good post. I too work in a school district and kids now a days take no responsibility. And the parents always blame someone else.

oudivesherpa
1/1/2012, 08:08 PM
Bitiching Fathers aka Craig James.

badger
1/1/2012, 10:31 PM
Have to agree with the general decline in our kids and their attitudes these days... nobody wants to work for the things that are meaningful.... hoping their "talent" is all they need and when they get to the next level it's the sudden discovery of sheer disappointment that there are a lot of kids out there with the talent and that it takes more than that to be a stud on the field.

The entire history of the world = Old farts complaining that the younger generation is worse than the one before it. :)

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 10:45 PM
NP...

She is trying to steal your spot in this thread. Time to put yer foot down Bro! :D ;)

budbarrybob
1/2/2012, 05:54 AM
Kids... can't kill 'em

Soonerfan88
1/3/2012, 02:37 AM
The entire history of the world = Old farts complaining that the younger generation is worse than the one before it. :)

I believe this time it's old farts complaining about parents who didn't raise the younger generation right. And I wholeheartedly agree with them.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2012, 04:10 AM
I always like to see Oklahoma kids land at OU. When the chips are down some big mouth from Florida will flake off before a home grown kid.

Gimme a bunch of Rocky Calmus types.
This.

SoonerSpock
1/4/2012, 11:30 AM

No question that the aging generation has always focused on how the succeeding generation is going to hell in a hand basket. This so called lack of discipline is by-product of of our societies cultural progress. Unfortunately this so called progress is dictating that most families require two wage earner to maintain a comfortable standard of living.

In today's society the absence the homemaker staying at home is resulting in too many parents try to be their children's best friend instead of their parent. The results are devastating and only the children will really suffer. Unfortunately everyone now feels entitled instead of challenged.

Hopefully the pendulum will eventually swing the other way and we can counteract the pressures that social and commercial media place on our youth to keep up with the Jones.