PDA

View Full Version : I am one of the Negative Nancy's on here.......but

soonervegas
12/31/2011, 03:27 PM
If a 10 win season equals major disappointment we have a lot to be appreciative of as fans...

Boomer.....
12/31/2011, 03:30 PM
This is true.

We are just spoiled as fans and our level of expectation is as high as any fans in the nation.

EatLeadCommie
12/31/2011, 03:41 PM
This isn't 1980. 10 win seasons are a dime a dozen these days. By any measure, this season was disappointing. Preseason #1 to being ranked near Texas.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 03:42 PM
The glass is 23% empty you sunshine pumpin' bastage.

:P

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 03:43 PM
This isn't 1980. 10 win seasons are a dime a dozen these days. By any measure, this season was disappointing. Preseason #1 to being ranked near Texas.

There's the spirit! I knew we could count on this post from someone!

SoonerorLater
The difference between high expectations and unrealistic expectations is a very fine line and we all don't draw it at the same place.

lexsooner
Yes, agreed. We are spoiled and have such high expectations that the team often cannot meet them. This team was way overhyped and with the key injuries suffered and the internal problems, they finished the season playing like a lower tier Top 25 team rather than a national title contender. I honestly thought a good Top 25 team would have beaten OU last night. Iowa was just punchless on offense.

LostCreekSooner
12/31/2011, 03:45 PM
Not that impressive when you play 13 games. How many of Switzers teams lost 3 games... And then everyone said "good season"!?!?!?

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 03:46 PM
Keep 'em comin', Nancy!

cherokeebrewer
12/31/2011, 03:58 PM
If a 10 win season equals major disappointment we have a lot to be appreciative of as fans...
I'm pretty sure the disappointment comes from who we lost to and how we lost...otherwise it's a good season.

mightysooner
12/31/2011, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't want to be a fan of any team where finishing 10-3 in glaringly poor performances, when you were pre-season #1, isn't "disappointing".

JiminyChristmas
12/31/2011, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the disappointment comes from who we lost to and how we lost...otherwise it's a good season.

Even with the injuries, we should have been 11-1 after the regular season and playing in the Sugar Bowl.

How we played as poorly as we did in the Baylor and Tech losses is what must be addressed. I will give them a pass on the OSU game. We needed to be at full strebgth for that one.

sooner59
12/31/2011, 04:08 PM
Nothing wrong with being disappointed with this 10 win season. The expectations were much higher. We all believed this year would be special. But the only memorable thing about this season was the disappointment and internal problems and defections. Nice season, but I've already forgotten it.

Jacie
12/31/2011, 04:11 PM
Not that impressive when you play 13 games. How many of Switzers teams lost 3 games... And then everyone said "good season"!?!?!?

He had four teams that lost 3 or more games, two more that did not win 3 games. The 76 team that went 9-2-1 most felt good about because it finished in a 3-way tie for 1st in the conference as did the 84 team, so I would say those two. Of the 3 and 4 loss teams, I think the 82 team was thought to have been a good season because of the uplift from the play of Marcus DuPree and the expectation that the next season would be a great one. Instead, it turned into another 4-loss season, which was clearly not what we had hoped for.

EatLeadCommie
12/31/2011, 04:19 PM
He had four teams that lost 3 or more games, two more that did not win 3 games. The 76 team that went 9-2-1 most felt good about because it finished in a 3-way tie for 1st in the conference as did the 84 team, so I would say those two. Of the 3 and 4 loss teams, I think the 82 team was thought to have been a good season because of the uplift from the play of Marcus DuPree and the expectation that the next season would be a great one. Instead, it turned into another 4-loss season, which was clearly not what we had hoped for.
The 84 team played for a share of the NC too so not really comparable. We lost a game to KU with some bum named Aikman starting and the voters saw through that and realized that we were still a top team.

After 83, which was the 3rd season in a row of suckitude in Norman, Switzer told his assistants that if things didn't change, somebody would be gone and it wouldn't be him.. Things changed. Bob needs to light a similar fire.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 04:23 PM
Anyone who bought into the preseason #1 hype and is all butthurt because it didn't pan out deserves to be butthurt. We certainly did not have the makeup of a typical top rated team. But we were very good and legit top 5 when healthy, but our achilles heel was lack of depth and that dang arrow found its mark. The team could have responded better to the situation, but not enough beat the pokes I'm afraid and certainly not enough to be title worthy.

BigTip
12/31/2011, 05:12 PM
The announcer on the game last night said something to this effect. "Lots of teams around the country would be thrilled with a 10 win season...." Like Baylor.

It was a strange season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2011, 05:28 PM
After 83, which was the 3rd season in a row of suckitude in Norman, Switzer told his assistants that if things didn't change, somebody would be gone and it wouldn't be him.. Things changed. Bob needs to light a similar fire.

Heh, that wasn't the reason that we got better in 84, but if it makes you feel better.

8timechamps
12/31/2011, 05:55 PM
Given the preseason hype, I am disappointed with the season as a whole. However, winning 10 games does make it a little easier to take.

I have made no secret out of the fact that I pump sunshine, however, it's the chicken little's on this board that consistently provide so much amusement for the rest of us. OU and/or Stoops never declared we were preseason #1, that was all media hype...and most of us bought in. Stoops made some comments about it being "about time" to win another title so that did help to fuel the fire some. Losing to Tech was a bad loss no matter how you slice it, but losing to Baylor and Okie State on the road are not bad losses (well, given the way we looked in Stillwater, you could argue that one was).

Given the injuries this year, a 10 win season is a decent season...dare I say successful even. Iowa, while not the caliber of Okie State or Baylor, was a quality opponent. So, it's not as if we played La Tech or some other mediocre team. I was proud of my Sooners last night, and I am proud of the way they worked after the OSU loss to finish the season on a positive note.

The real beauty of being a Sooner fan is that I can say "there's always next year", and there's consistently a realistic expectation that we will once again be in the title mix.

Also, someone above mentioned that 10 win seasons are a "dime a dozen". I beg to differ. I'll look at the numbers, but I highly doubt that there are as commonplace as some would have us believe.

wishbonesooner
12/31/2011, 06:03 PM
If losing to Baylor and getting lit up by OSU did not make you want to vomit, you're pumping more than sunshine.

Jack T.
12/31/2011, 06:19 PM
Also, someone above mentioned that 10 win seasons are a "dime a dozen". I beg to differ. I'll look at the numbers, but I highly doubt that there are as commonplace as some would have us believe.

Looks like 23 football programs have at least 10 wins this season so far. . .unless I miscounted, in which case there may be as many as 25 or as few as 21.

Out of. . .120? Roughly 20% of teams. Not exactly an exclusive bracket. . .

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/schedule/FBS_SCHEDULE.html

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 07:00 PM
If losing to Baylor and getting lit up by OSU did not make you want to vomit, you're pumping more than sunshine.

Baylor is the only one that irked me. But that's because it was a fairly evenly matched game and I questioned the coaching decisions down the stretch (I was all set to enjoy OT). But win or lose that one it was evenly matched with the players we had available - i.e. we were on par with Baylor by then. I would have like to have seen more fight/less mistakes at OSU, but I can't imagine a scenario where we win that one and losing by less point wouldn't make me feel better.

I am way more concerned about the off field stuff than what happened in the games. All the suspensions, defections and public rift within the team could be signalling long term problems. It is all being explained away now as typical housekeeping and ridding the program of under-committed players. I seriously doubt that explains it all, but that's the message that has been decided on and that's all we will hear. It similar to Mack Brown making up that "entitlement" crap and sticking with that message for the fans while in the meantime he turned over most the coaching staff.

ashley
12/31/2011, 07:03 PM
We lost our great receiver and our running back and we were never the same.

Lott's Bandana
12/31/2011, 07:11 PM
Cincinnati just got their 10th win.

Sadly, it doesn't mean what is used to. I wish it did, I'd feel better.

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 07:19 PM
Even with the injuries, we should have been 11-1 after the regular season and playing in the Sugar Bowl.

How we played as poorly as we did in the Baylor and Tech losses is what must be addressed. I will give them a pass on the OSU game. We needed to be at full strebgth for that one.

You do realize that we didn't get blown out by Tech or Baylor right?

The oSu game was a let down since it was the Game we were waiting on and we still we in the running to win the Big XII Championship if we had beat little brother.

The spin machine is alive and well.....lol

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 07:23 PM

I still think the Baylor Game was decided by a bad call and the Game should have been settled in OT as the entire Game was a shootout by both Teams. Instead they passed on calling the shove off by BU's WR and we suffered the loss on the Road to a Heisman Trophy Winner in 2011. If RG3 had lost that game in OT.....no Heisman. He can thank that Ref for his Trophy and the fact that texas really sucks balls still.

soonercastor
12/31/2011, 07:45 PM
Personally I think it was a disappointing season, but when you factor in the injuries it makes it less painful. Anyway this is all relative and each person has his/her view on it. Last year for example, I considered it to be a very great season but there were people complaining about it; the year before (8-5) I also considered it to be an OK season but you had people raising hell. This year for me was disappointing but I'm sure there are people that think it was an OK to good season.
It's all relative.

Sooner70
1/1/2012, 01:27 AM
I can understand the Baylor and OSU losses. Both have good talent, and showed it. What I still cannot fathom is how & why TTech could come into Norman and beat OU. Tech wasn't that talented overall season wise, but they sure had it going for them that night. There's got to be a technical reason as to why that happened. Maybe some of you indepth analyst types can explain it. I'll remember a guy named Torres forever.

picasso
1/1/2012, 01:30 AM
Switzer also played with a ****load of scholarships.

C&CDean
1/1/2012, 11:31 AM
There's a whole lot of Sooner "fans" that must not have lived through the 90's I guess.

Satisfied with this season? Oh **** no. Happy to get 10 wins and win our bowl game? Oh **** yes.

Guess that makes me a pumper.

Anyone who looks at what happened to this team over the course of the year (injuries/idiots/primma donnas/etc) and still thinks we should have beaten everyone on our schedule is not only delusional, they're ****ing stupid. I'm pretty sure these are the same morons who keep going "fire coach xxxx" because they're too ignorant to look at this season objectively, and choose to judge a coach strictly on the team's performance in a single game or season. Player drops a pass? Coach's fault. Player overthrows an open receiver? Coach's fault. Player suckers on a fake? Coach's fault. Player jumps offside? Coach's fault. Player whiffs on a tackle? Coach's fault. Player smokes some doobage? Coach's fault. Player skips out on class? Coach's fault. Player gets broken leg? Coach's fault. Player blows a knee? Coach's fault.

Anyone see a pattern here? Dumb****s without thinking/reasoning skills automatically go "fire coach xxx" because they're too retarded to see the whole picture. Could our coaches coach better? I'm sure, but it's really hard to tell when a bunch of players are hurt, and a bunch more are dysfunctional team members. I'll take our coaching staff over any other. I look at the entire body of work, not one game/season. If things continue with a new group of players the way they've been then it's time to start looking at the coaches a little closer. Right now, I ain't got a problem with any of them.

sooneredaco
1/1/2012, 01:21 PM

You are outside your mind.

JiminyChristmas
1/1/2012, 04:13 PM
There's a whole lot of Sooner "fans" that must not have lived through the 90's I guess.

Satisfied with this season? Oh **** no. Happy to get 10 wins and win our bowl game? Oh **** yes.

Guess that makes me a pumper.

Anyone who looks at what happened to this team over the course of the year (injuries/idiots/primma donnas/etc) and still thinks we should have beaten everyone on our schedule is not only delusional, they're ****ing stupid. I'm pretty sure these are the same morons who keep going "fire coach xxxx" because they're too ignorant to look at this season objectively, and choose to judge a coach strictly on the team's performance in a single game or season. Player drops a pass? Coach's fault. Player overthrows an open receiver? Coach's fault. Player suckers on a fake? Coach's fault. Player jumps offside? Coach's fault. Player whiffs on a tackle? Coach's fault. Player smokes some doobage? Coach's fault. Player skips out on class? Coach's fault. Player gets broken leg? Coach's fault. Player blows a knee? Coach's fault.

Anyone see a pattern here? Dumb****s without thinking/reasoning skills automatically go "fire coach xxx" because they're too retarded to see the whole picture. Could our coaches coach better? I'm sure, but it's really hard to tell when a bunch of players are hurt, and a bunch more are dysfunctional team members. I'll take our coaching staff over any other. I look at the entire body of work, not one game/season. If things continue with a new group of players the way they've been then it's time to start looking at the coaches a little closer. Right now, I ain't got a problem with any of them.

It's not delusional or ****ing stupid to think we should have ended the regular season 11-1 though, even with all the injuries. Plenty of blame for both the coaches and players for those two really bad losses. Against OSU, we had no shot playing that shorthanded.

oumartin
1/1/2012, 04:17 PM
Nothing like giving up nearly 150 points in three losses. Great season Bob

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 04:38 PM
It's not delusional or ****ing stupid to think we should have ended the regular season 11-1 though, even with all the injuries. Plenty of blame for both the coaches and players for those two really bad losses. Against OSU, we had no shot playing that shorthanded.

Or even 12-0. Thing is....we barely beat oSu last year and even if we hadn't dropped the Tech Game or been cheated out of an OT win against Baylor....we probably would have had to had a miracle to beat oSu and if we had gone into a MNC Game undefeated as Big XII Champs....we just are so damn beat up because of injuries and attitudes that we would have been blown out again. Things happened the way they should have. Folks that think our Back ups were good enough to carry us to 11-1 are just not accepting that we aren't as deep as they thought and we aren't as talented as they thought. It's obvious that many of our players are transferring because they think they aren't being utilized properly but if say Brandon Williams for example thinks he's gonna start at TAMU after seeing how poorly he played as a backup here....I wish him well. Him leaving allows us to find someone that wants to contribute. Evidently even Whaley hurt didn't seem to change his mind that he could start at OU next year. I wish him and the others well. We need to reload and play towards our positives.

The delusion is to think that being 11-1 would have us carrying off a BCS Bowl Trophy this year playing the way we are right now. I'm fine with the 3 losses as it's obviously allowing the Coaches to address the guys that didn't contribute and reload for next year. This is where Bob and the Coaches earn their money. Watch what happens this next few months and at the Red/White Game. Then we can kind of see how the Summer pans out. We will know if Landry is coming back etc. I like where things are headed and glad to see us stick another Bowl Trophy in the Switzer Center. I'm happy that Bob beat his Alma Mater in this one. I am excited about next year as we are definitely going to see some changes.