PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops....

Stooper
12/31/2011, 02:14 AM
Heather Cox said at the end of the game that Mike was in the press box for some of the game and that there was Heavy speculation that he was coming back!!!!! Can't wait for 2012!! Bring back the Mojo! Boomer!!

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 02:16 AM
There's been heavy speculation in Heather's Box?

I guess Mike is gonna stay single for awhile. :D ;)

There has been heavy speculation since he left AZ...lol

Okie35
12/31/2011, 02:19 AM
There's been heavy speculation in Heather's Box?

I guess Mike is gonna stay single for awhile. :D ;)

There has been heavy speculation since he left AZ...lol

lol

Stooper
12/31/2011, 02:21 AM
I know we in Sooner Nation have been speculating for a long time, but I am starting to believe it is not just wishful thinking.

Neath a Western Sky
12/31/2011, 02:44 AM
Exciting, and I gotta think Venables is more excited than anyone about it.

VA Sooner
12/31/2011, 03:13 AM
Funny how that came out... everyone's watching Mike. It will be good to have him back.

sooneredaco
12/31/2011, 03:19 AM
So I was under the impression that we were at our limit on coaching positions... If so, who gets the boot?

diverdog
12/31/2011, 04:50 AM
So I was under the impression that we were at our limit on coaching positions... If so, who gets the boot?

Martinez

MyT Oklahoma
12/31/2011, 05:43 AM
It is what it is.

I didn't like everything that happened this year but I do hope Bob figures out what needs to be done to fix things at this point in time and then just does it.

VA Sooner
12/31/2011, 08:22 AM
Venables needs to go back to linebackers coach and focus on that... M Stoops needs to get that killer instinct back into our boys and work on our secondary coverage.

I enjoyed the game... defense did well in spite of missing The Hammer.

And Fleming was All-World.

cleller
12/31/2011, 08:37 AM
Mike Stoops was fired from a summer construction job for eating nails.

Peach Fuzz
12/31/2011, 08:54 AM
...flosses his teeth with barbed wire.

BillyBall
12/31/2011, 09:27 AM
lol

There was nothing ****ing funny about that. Please don't encourage him...

Breadburner
12/31/2011, 09:35 AM
Mike stoops craps thunder and ****s lightning....

badger
12/31/2011, 09:41 AM
It's nice that Bob is there for his brother, kind of like Scott Sutton was there for his brother too when Sean wanted (and needed) to get back into coaching but had a recent bad track record. I'm not trying to compare losing at Arizona to having drug problems, but the situations are similar in that a brother that was well established in a program offers to help another brother out.

It'll be good for Mike, having recently gone through a divorce and probably extreme disappointment over what could have been at his first head coaching job in Arizona. I'm thinking it'll be good for OU too.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/31/2011, 10:36 AM
Mike spends his evenings FORCING Chuck Norris to wash his car

Soonermagik
12/31/2011, 10:36 AM
I heard Mike was coming back. I guess he and Venables will be co-coordinators. It can't hurt to have new blood in there.

SoonerLaw09
12/31/2011, 10:56 AM
Now all we need is Mangino back.

Spray
12/31/2011, 11:15 AM
And get Heupel to play QB?

BajaOklahoma
12/31/2011, 12:14 PM
I heard Ewe von Schamann is interested in coaching the kickers, if room can be made for him.

prrriiide
12/31/2011, 12:19 PM
I heard Ewe von Schamann is interested in coaching the kickers, if room can be made for him.

I would support this.

SoonerKnight
12/31/2011, 12:28 PM
I actually thought all the stories of Mike coming back was a bunch of BS but then when they said during the game that Mike was in the press box for awhile and that Brent said he would be more than happy to have Mike come back and they said was even excited. I though hmmmmm......Mike went up there and gave them some nibbles off the record and that's why she said it the way she said it. I don't think they would stoke the fire if there wasn't some merit to it. Now the question is who is going to leave from the coaching staff. You look at the stats and you see we have a lot of running yards and a lot fewer passing yards. I guaratee that was all Stoop's doing. He commentted on that after the OSU game. One would think that maybe Martinez would be leaving as everyone has been speculating but I think it will be one of the OC's and maybe a defensive coach. I don't think it will be coach H. I think Jay Norvell will leave and get a full time OC position. Reasoning he has already been in that position before.

swardboy
12/31/2011, 12:34 PM
I heard Bosworth is coming back to coach shwagger!

cccasooner2
12/31/2011, 12:39 PM
It will have to be a D coach. I agree with those who think Martinez will go.

SoonerorLater
12/31/2011, 12:45 PM
My prediction - We will soon get a press release the Martinez has left "to spend more time with his family"

hawaii 5-0
12/31/2011, 01:00 PM
Replacing Martinez with Mike Stoops should be a no-brainer.

5-0

SoonerKnight
12/31/2011, 01:03 PM
Agreed!

ObiKaTony
12/31/2011, 01:51 PM
I don't see how anyone can be surprised that Mike is coming back. He has proven to be a better D cord than Venebles. It's also obvious that the team does have talent, but is drastically missing the "x factor" along with a ton of tackles...

Most believe that Mike coming back, and letting Venebles coach the LB's would be the most ideal situation. That situation in fact led to us having a killer defense that led to us to 2 national titles and us winning one.

I've been saying Mike will be back since seeing him on the sidelines at tech. One has to ask, why wouldn't he come back? It's near the perfect situation.

Also, all those saying Venebles should go, have been proven right... Now, some guy eat up this post and nuance your way into believing that Venenbels has reasons to stay D coordinator when it's clear to Stoops that changes need to be made, and those changes couldn't make our defense any worse than it already is...

jiminy
12/31/2011, 01:56 PM
I thought it a little odd that BJW was the primary target of the 2nd Gatorade dunking. Maybe he is retiring? He's 61.

gaylordfan1
12/31/2011, 03:04 PM
BJW rumored to leave his position to take a OU administration job. So, there is your coaching vacancy needed to move one in.

cleller
12/31/2011, 03:05 PM
I thought it a little odd that BJW was the primary target of the 2nd Gatorade dunking. Maybe he is retiring? He's 61.

Ah, maybe throwing himself on the retirement grenade?

wishbonesooner
12/31/2011, 03:11 PM
If the only thing Mike accomplishes is a scheme to close up the middle of the field so that every QB we play doesn't look like a Heisman Trophy winner, it will be worth it.

SoonerKnight
12/31/2011, 03:18 PM
That and bring back that killer attitude because BV and MS were like fire and lightning when they were together. They would get so fired up yelling at the players they would start at each other!! LOL!

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 03:22 PM
If the only thing Mike accomplishes is to change the target of the criticism on SF.com, it will be worth it.

goingoneight
12/31/2011, 03:31 PM
If I were Mike Stoops, do I take a position coaching job under big brother and face the "you can't win without Bob" music or take a full time coordinator job somewhere that gets your name back on the head coaching market and pays a lot more?
There's your situation, folks. Bob would sell his MNC ring if there really was a guaranteed way to get his early defenses back. I think the central issue is eitherMike wants a year off or he wants something unrealistic from OU.

oumartin
12/31/2011, 03:39 PM
Maybe bob cant win it all without mike

oudivesherpa
12/31/2011, 03:40 PM
But if you are Mike do you really want to leave Zona and all of their beautiful women for Norman?

EatLeadCommie
12/31/2011, 03:43 PM
huh huh huh, you said cox...and box. huh huh huh

Scott D
12/31/2011, 05:00 PM
God I can't wait until some of you turn on Mike Stoops the first time he's involved in a defensive gameplan that inexplicably gives up 35+ to a mediocre OSU....oh wait.

JiminyChristmas
12/31/2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, isn't Rashaun Woods still open? Remember, we couldn't defend a double move.

I will be glad if Mike comes back, but we need to start hitting on some big time defensive players as well as bringing back a good coach.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 05:38 PM
At least Mike will look mad when bad things happen. He has the nations best mad-coach-face - even better than Pelini's. And both line judges will stay on the opposite side of the field.

oumartin
12/31/2011, 05:46 PM
Mikes defenses got burned due to better receivers. We make a jv qb and receiver all world now

Peach Fuzz
12/31/2011, 05:51 PM
Just my .02, do you honestly think Mike cares about others saying he can't win without Bob? Let's throw a little speculation in and say maybe Bob doesn't want to be coaching many more years and OU will need a new HC.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/31/2011, 06:56 PM
Or maybe we should quit dickin' around and fire Brian Britt while we've got a head of steam?

C'MON, PEOPLE. POOP OR GET OFF THE POT.

Scott D
12/31/2011, 07:46 PM
Or maybe we should quit dickin' around and fire Brian Britt while we've got a head of steam?

C'MON, PEOPLE. POOP OR GET OFF THE POT.

I can endorse this :D

Scott D
12/31/2011, 07:48 PM
I mean don't get me wrong, if he comes back, then great. Maybe something will change in the preparation and adjustment area. However, I'm not going to get all giddy with wonderful fogged memories of the past and do a full 180 and turn on him the first time his gameplan blows up in his face and the defense has an inexplicable performance.

Afterall, wasn't the problem with the offense Mangi....er I mean Lon....oh wait, I really meant Wils....oh wait, isn't it Heupel's fault now?

cleller
1/1/2012, 03:31 PM
At least Mike will look mad when bad things happen. He has the nations best mad-coach-face - even better than Pelini's. And both line judges will stay on the opposite side of the field.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/VIDFCYMZXETJPGZ20091229220833.jpg

These two guys? Get mad?

I would love to see some drunk young tough guy bump into these two in some hotel bar.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 04:00 PM
If Mike was coming back, I'd think we would have already heard it by at least next week. Why? Because right now we should be out recruiting our *** off and if he's going to be able to help us more than steer some of his AZ Recruits our way....He should have already been signed up IMHO. Maybe someone else has some insight as to why we wouldn't have made an attempt to put him on our Staff other than he is looking for better offers and right now doesn't need to take a job with his Brother. Maybe he's just as happy taking a year off and waiting to see what life brings him. It hasn't seemed to bother him much. I have no idea how his personal life is, but I'd think he loves his Kids. Maybe he's enjoying some time with his kids and the time off for himself and hanging with Bob and the Family?

Neath a Western Sky
1/1/2012, 04:24 PM
Those of you making light of Mike's ability as DC and the impact his return to that position would have by rehashing the '02 OSU loss...are you sure that's where you want to go? Because we can ram a freaking armada of as-bad-or-worse performances under Brent's leadership up your tailpipe, and real quick. Plus, I seem to remember when OSU hit 35 points in that game, our offense had contributed exactly SIX points to the cause. No defense plays great every time out. But as other posters have shown in other threads, our total defensive performance and numbers, relative to all other D-1 teams, was decisively better under Mike than it has been under Brent, even including '99, when the Stoopses were turning around the program. If what y'all are saying is not to expect a panacea and cure for all our ills with Mike's return, okay, that's good and I'm with you. But if you're saying we won't probably significantly improve on D with Mike as DC, I just disagree--respectfully and collegially, as a fellow Sooner. :-)

BASSooner
1/1/2012, 04:24 PM
If Mike was coming back, I'd think we would have already heard it by at least next week. Why? Because right now we should be out recruiting our *** off and if he's going to be able to help us more than steer some of his AZ Recruits our way....He should have already been signed up IMHO. Maybe someone else has some insight as to why we wouldn't have made an attempt to put him on our Staff other than he is looking for better offers and right now doesn't need to take a job with his Brother. Maybe he's just as happy taking a year off and waiting to see what life brings him. It hasn't seemed to bother him much. I have no idea how his personal life is, but I'd think he loves his Kids. Maybe he's enjoying some time with his kids and the time off for himself and hanging with Bob and the Family?

That is definitely the most favorable approach. However, what I really think is going on is Mike waiting for one of the coaches to get a "promotion" at another school so that he can get his spot back with us. Bob doesn't fire anyone ever. Otherwise ^this would've happened. just my 2 cents

cleller
1/1/2012, 04:29 PM
If Mike were NOT coming back, it seems they both would have made a definitive statement about this, just stop the rumors. Also, has anyone heard any talk about other possible directions Mike might be going? I haven't, which I also think is good.

delhalew
1/1/2012, 04:38 PM
It got revived because ESPN said he was coming back during the game, as if that's worth anything.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 05:05 PM
That is definitely the most favorable approach. However, what I really think is going on is Mike waiting for one of the coaches to get a "promotion" at another school so that he can get his spot back with us. Bob doesn't fire anyone ever. Otherwise ^this would've happened. just my 2 cents

I think this whole Bob doesn't fire anybody, ever, thing is a result of him being one of the best damn Head Coaches in the Country. Maybe he's suddenly not good enough for some OU fans but to me....he's still the guy who won a MNC in 2000 and went to the Big Show 3 other times and was HC for 7 Big XII Championships. This whole "He doesn't fire folks" thing is just a bunch of sour grapes BS. He hasn't ever had to fire anyone. The guys that leave mostly end up in the news. Nebraska, Kansas, Texas Tech and Houston are good examples of guys who moved on and had good success. Even his Brother was getting AZ into Bowl Games. Why they gave up on him seemed to be more to do with his personal problems and the opportunity that provided to make a change. Chuck Long didn't do so well and for now, Kevin Wilson doesn't seem to have Indiana moving in a positive direction but he's not had much time to do it yet IMO.

I just think folks want to see Bob bloody someone and throw blame on them. Since he's not....they are trying to blame him with "He never fires anyone!". Still...we were close to being a one loss team but like I said in another thread...."We ended up 9-3 and playing Iowa for a reason and if we had been 11-1 and only lost to oSu we would have been in a Bowl Game that we probably would have lost and oSu would probably being preparing to be blown out by LSU. Things happened the way they were supposed to happen and now we get to see if Bob's way is best or if the Fans are right and he should fire a Coach instead of call out players who didn't go to class or didn't pass drug tests or broke Team Rules.

OU-HSV
1/1/2012, 09:10 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned on here yet or not, but I noticed they were talking about Iowa's long time D Coordinator retiring after the other night's game. I found myself wondering if Mike may be hired as the new D.C. for Iowa. Any else think of this too?

Scott D
1/1/2012, 11:05 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned on here yet or not, but I noticed they were talking about Iowa's long time D Coordinator retiring after the other night's game. I found myself wondering if Mike may be hired as the new D.C. for Iowa. Any else think of this too?

why not, afterall he's the new DC at 4 other schools already ;)

sooneron
1/1/2012, 11:18 PM
Mikes defenses got burned due to better receivers. We make a jv qb and receiver all world now

Yes, a freshman Reggie McNeal & his wr Terrence Murphy ended up being all world. lolz

soonerboy_odanorth
1/2/2012, 12:28 AM
While everyone is waiting with baited breath for Jesu...er... Mike's return, I would like to remind everyone that defense is only part of the equation.

The offense needs help just as badly... if not worse. Speaking of Jesus... why again does everyone think Heupel is all that and a bag-o-chips?

With a heavily veteran offense, did our production not drop?
Did the production decrease and mistakes increase for our veteran NFL first-round QB?
Were we able to consistently run the ball (even before we lost Whaley)?
Can you remember a season offensively with as many three & outs?
Against one of the worst run defenses in the BigXII, did we not come out against oSu chucking the ball all over the place with very few attempts running; and conversely, with basically a month to prepare, we come out against the number 11 pass defense in the Big10 and do what?... run... run... and run again?

Was anyone really impressed with how we mixed it up to get the ball into the end zone this year? Or prior to the 'belldozer' was it more of the same red zone frustration?

On the plus side, though I believe it was purely out of desperation, the offensive staff did put the belldozer together on the fly. So they deserve kudos for that.

I understand that people want Huepel to get a fair shake... a 'chance', if you will... to prove he can get it done. But it really has come to light this year hasn't it, that we are a "win now" culture? Especially when this team had so many veteran pieces back, we shouldn't have looked so often like we were back in rebuilding mode.

Next year we again will not be in rebuilding mode... or shouldn't be. We have a ton of pieces on both sides of the ball coming back. Quick review:

I think Landry is likely to come back... so QB set. 4 known, good, RB commodoties... with a little bit of hoping that Dom comes back 100%. A good starting 3 at WR w/ Stills, Reynolds, and Jackson. And we lose (unless Habern does the unthinkable) only 1 starting offensive lineman... Stephenson. Basically besides TE, we are locked and loaded.

But with what you saw this year, does that give anyone a great deal of comfort?

I'm just saying while we're all salivating at the potential of Mike's return, we need help on the offensive side. And I don't know that the program can wait for Huepel to grow into the position if we want to get back to a dominant brand of football right away next year. Because if next year is more of the same-ol same-ol.... then we are back to rebuilding in 2013 in all likelyhood.

I do think there is one bit of trouble on the horizon for 2012, btw. If we find a way to lose the ND game next year, you think this year's s**t storm was bad? Yikes...'cause people been waiting a looooong time for revenge against the Irish.

SoonerMom2
1/2/2012, 12:48 AM
Arizona Republic paper in Phoenix reported that Mike Stoops still lives in Tuscon but is expected to land in Norman. The article also said that Venerables was totally agreeable to having him back as the co-defensive coordinator. No link because I read it in the paper at the hotel in Tempe. The article left no doubt that he was headed for Norman as they said he turned down Ohio State and Nebraska plus two other schools as their defensive coordinator.

Peach Fuzz
1/2/2012, 12:58 AM
venerables huh

OU-HSV
1/2/2012, 01:02 AM
why not, afterall he's the new DC at 4 other schools already ;)
Well I'm just saying with his ties to Iowa and what not

soonercoop1
1/2/2012, 11:36 AM
While everyone is waiting with baited breath for Jesu...er... Mike's return, I would like to remind everyone that defense is only part of the equation.

The offense needs help just as badly... if not worse. Speaking of Jesus... why again does everyone think Heupel is all that and a bag-o-chips?

With a heavily veteran offense, did our production not drop?
Did the production decrease and mistakes increase for our veteran NFL first-round QB?
Were we able to consistently run the ball (even before we lost Whaley)?
Can you remember a season offensively with as many three & outs?
Against one of the worst run defenses in the BigXII, did we not come out against oSu chucking the ball all over the place with very few attempts running; and conversely, with basically a month to prepare, we come out against the number 11 pass defense in the Big10 and do what?... run... run... and run again?

Was anyone really impressed with how we mixed it up to get the ball into the end zone this year? Or prior to the 'belldozer' was it more of the same red zone frustration?

On the plus side, though I believe it was purely out of desperation, the offensive staff did put the belldozer together on the fly. So they deserve kudos for that.

I understand that people want Huepel to get a fair shake... a 'chance', if you will... to prove he can get it done. But it really has come to light this year hasn't it, that we are a "win now" culture? Especially when this team had so many veteran pieces back, we shouldn't have looked so often like we were back in rebuilding mode.

Next year we again will not be in rebuilding mode... or shouldn't be. We have a ton of pieces on both sides of the ball coming back. Quick review:

I think Landry is likely to come back... so QB set. 4 known, good, RB commodoties... with a little bit of hoping that Dom comes back 100%. A good starting 3 at WR w/ Stills, Reynolds, and Jackson. And we lose (unless Habern does the unthinkable) only 1 starting offensive lineman... Stephenson. Basically besides TE, we are locked and loaded.

But with what you saw this year, does that give anyone a great deal of comfort?

I'm just saying while we're all salivating at the potential of Mike's return, we need help on the offensive side. And I don't know that the program can wait for Huepel to grow into the position if we want to get back to a dominant brand of football right away next year. Because if next year is more of the same-ol same-ol.... then we are back to rebuilding in 2013 in all likelyhood.

I do think there is one bit of trouble on the horizon for 2012, btw. If we find a way to lose the ND game next year, you think this year's s**t storm was bad? Yikes...'cause people been waiting a looooong time for revenge against the Irish.

Heupel will be fine when Bob takes the reines off...

sooneron
1/2/2012, 11:56 AM
Well I'm just saying with his ties to Iowa and what not
To be honest, I would guess that Iowa would be a close second to coming back.

Scott D
1/2/2012, 12:18 PM

Comedic Gold in this post.... Robert Stoops will never "take the reins off". Then again, it's just easier to blame Chuck Wilson Heupel for the failings of the offense instead of the offensive system.

cccasooner2
1/2/2012, 12:28 PM
If Mike was coming back, I'd think we would have already heard it .........

Probably working out the package with Martinez's attorney. It will take a little time and a lot of money to make room for Mike. OU has the money and it will be well spent to get Mike back IMHO.

picasso
1/2/2012, 03:03 PM
Sincerely,

First quarter vs. oSu

sooneron
1/2/2012, 03:11 PM
Sincerely,
First Quarter of Insight Bowl

meh, both were flippin turribul.