PDA

View Full Version : LANDRY JONES

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 01:49 AM
62.7 Completion %

12,379 Passing Yards

93 TDs

No matter if he goes Pro or comes back for some more next year....I think he's really come along and he was there when we needed him. I really wish Ryan and Whaley had stayed healthy as I think we would have been a one Game Loss Team this year. I think Landry showed us what he's made of by finishing out with another Bowl Win. It's cool that someone posted a thread about him winning 3 Bowl Games. Some may say it's no big deal but they would be wrong. It's a huge deal and my hats off to him and all the other Sooners on this Team who finished out as Champions.

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

sooneredaco
12/31/2011, 01:54 AM
my hats off to him and all the other Sooners on this Team who finished out as Champions.

Insight Bowl Champions! Not a lot of Sonner QB's can say that! :D

SoonerMagicinGA
12/31/2011, 01:57 AM
I agree StoupTroup. I cant help but think that if Landry had been a Sooner before Sam played here, we would all be praising him as one of the best QB's in our storied programs history. He just had the bad luck of following one of the best college QB's of all time. Landry has had a phenomenal career for our program and I wish him only the best no matter what he decides to do from now on.

sooneredaco
12/31/2011, 02:02 AM
He's been an awesome leader to this team. Ryan stated on many occasions the impact Landry had on his life, on and just as if not more importantly off the field! We should be proud to have this guy as the QB for our great University! Boomer Sooner Landry. And to all the Landry haters, well.. eat d!ck

Stooper
12/31/2011, 02:11 AM
I hope he comes back. He has been plenty good enough to win a Championship with. If we had a run game, it would make a big difference in how good he could be.

JLEW1818
12/31/2011, 02:15 AM
pretty clear that we have been Team Broyles since Sam went down against Texas on October 17, 2009.

L. Jones needs to come back to school and get better. Give him a full offseason with the "new" WR's and others.

No reason why OU should not win at least 11 games next year.

Blue
12/31/2011, 03:44 AM
I say you've been great, but lets move on to the Blake Bell era. I think Landrys pro stock will drop with another year. He's a late first rounder early second now. Go get it.

the-rover
12/31/2011, 04:10 AM
As bad as some here and the Kipers of the world say he is, he is a pretty good QB with a good head on his shoulders. Most say he will be the 3rd QB taken in the draft if he declares for this year.

I will also say he is one tough SOB after getting up from the shot in the chops he took tonight.

Vegas Sooner
12/31/2011, 04:44 AM
ok game.

Vegas Sooner
12/31/2011, 04:45 AM
I say you've been great, but lets move on to the Blake Bell era. I think Landrys pro stock will drop with another year. He's a late first rounder early second now. Go get it.

Bell is 3rd on the QB depth chart. ..????

Blue
12/31/2011, 04:55 AM
Bell is 3rd on the QB depth chart. ..????

Please.

LASooner
12/31/2011, 05:10 AM
I've been critical of Jones, and his pass placement still needs work, but he is the only Stoops era QB who is 3-0 in bowl games, 2 Heisman winners and a National Champion can't even say that.

MyT Oklahoma
12/31/2011, 05:37 AM
That was one ugly bowl game at times but Landry Jones does deserve congratulations for his part in our win.

Landry is a class act and has been an important part of our team the past three years.

I wish him only the best no matter what he decides regarding the NFL next year.

P.S. I guess we didn't blow as bad as I thought last night. And yeah I watched the whole thing because once again I am a man I am over forty.

swardboy
12/31/2011, 12:18 PM
Sideline report said she heard Landry sort of "blow up" on the sideline...more like vocal encouragement I think. But something novel from him nontheless. I waffle about him staying / leaving. He's really developed a tendency to throw high though. That's usually a result of "overstriding" - stepping too far when throwing. And that's a sympton of happy feet. I personally think he'd gain by staying a year. At some point in the college game he's got to be a consistent pinpoint passer. Right now his inconsistency is common knowledge.

And then I look at his damn stats and say, "What do I know?"

JLEW1818
12/31/2011, 12:23 PM
I've been critical of Jones, and his pass placement still needs work, but he is the only Stoops era QB who is 3-0 in bowl games, 2 Heisman winners and a National Champion can't even say that.

a lot of QB's can beat 2 unranked teams, and a 21st ranked team without Andrew Luck.

great he did it. but it's not that impressive.

revelladee
12/31/2011, 02:16 PM
We were there and that hit that he took looked and sounded bad... I was surprised that he got up ....I admire the fact that there were so many changes around Him over the last three years and he didn't quit, whine, complain or not show up. I think he has a solid head on his shoulders and with all the experience of the last three years, he would be good for OU next year... IMHO

LostCreekSooner
12/31/2011, 03:41 PM
Is he still with Whitney? If so, hard to imagine he would leave for he NFL when he really isn't ready. Wondering how well he gets along with Heuple? (heuple dropped more f-bombs in a taped practice last year). Any chance he would drop football and start working towards becoming a minister?

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 03:52 PM
LJ has 37 college starts and 4 full years in the program. I don't believe he would grow a lot with another year in the same program with the same position coach. I am not saying I want him to leave, just from a NFL career perspective, I don't see an advantage by staying (not even counting the injury risk). LJ will have an advantage over Sam in the pros being a lower pick because he will not be expected to play right away and depending on the draw, he probably goes to a better team.

cccasooner2
12/31/2011, 04:08 PM
I hope he stays and brings home no. 8.

sooner59
12/31/2011, 04:11 PM
a lot of QB's can beat 2 unranked teams, and a 21st ranked team without Andrew Luck.

Yep.

EatLeadCommie
12/31/2011, 04:31 PM
I have come full circle on Landry. He improved each season and was awesome this year...until Broyles went down. He is absolutely lost out there without Broyles and I don't think that's a coincidence. So I went from being a Landry basher, to a Landry believer, to a guy who really doesn't care if he comes back or not. Landry had always played well in bowl games with the time needed to prepare. He did not look good last night at all, and that was prior to that nasty hit he took.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 04:35 PM

Sure, but there is also program history to consider. The 47 game win streak is still a big deal in Sooner country and we don't mention how weak the big 7(?) was at the time or especially the incredibly weak schedule of the '56 team in the middle of that streak. These things matter to fans and in 10 years LJ will be valued player in the history of the program.

JiminyChristmas
12/31/2011, 05:13 PM
There are a lot of valued players who did not win a NC. No shame at all in that. Landry will definitely be on that list. Good kid, good QB, good career. Time to move on.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2011, 05:24 PM
When you evaluate Landry, he has a long list of things that he is good at. The problem is that his weaknesses were things that kill you as an elite team in the college game because going undefeated is pretty much needed in order to play for all the marbles.

1. His tendency to go 3 and out after an opponent score. In the college game, momentum is a fickle mistress. To win a MNC you have to give her a slap or two when she wanders over to the other sideline. To be fair, this was a trait of the last 3 Sooner squads - they just can't consistently make plays when the other team is riding an emotional wave.

2. His tendency to go into a funk when one more score puts a team away. This was when his INTs tended to happen, he just lost focus when we got a big lead.

8timechamps
12/31/2011, 05:57 PM
For some folks, the value of a player like Landry will not be apparent until he's gone. I hope he chooses to stay for his senior year, however, I can't fault him for wanting his shot in the NFL either.

JiminyChristmas
12/31/2011, 06:13 PM
And for those of us who reognize his value while he is still here, we still might be ready for the next one.

Just because an opinion may be different, doesn't mean it is wrong. #condescending

MamaMia
12/31/2011, 07:40 PM
I've been critical of Jones, and his pass placement still needs work, but he is the only Stoops era QB who is 3-0 in bowl games, 2 Heisman winners and a National Champion can't even say that. Apples and Oranges. We don't know if Landry would have done any better in the particular bowl games that he didn't play in compared to the QBs who did play in those games.

cccasooner2
12/31/2011, 07:44 PM
Apples and Oranges. We don't know if Landry would have done any better in the particular bowl games that he didn't play in compared to the QBs who did play in those games.

Except that 3-0 is a fact, the rest is BS.

MamaMia
12/31/2011, 07:44 PM
When you evaluate Landry, he has a long list of things that he is good at. The problem is that his weaknesses were things that kill you as an elite team in the college game because going undefeated is pretty much needed in order to play for all the marbles.

1. His tendency to go 3 and out after an opponent score. In the college game, momentum is a fickle mistress. To win a MNC you have to give her a slap or two when she wanders over to the other sideline. To be fair, this was a trait of the last 3 Sooner squads - they just can't consistently make plays when the other team is riding an emotional wave.

2. His tendency to go into a funk when one more score puts a team away. This was when his INTs tended to happen, he just lost focus when we got a big lead.I actually agree with this.
Except that 3-0 is a fact, the rest is BS. Whats BS is for anyone to guess what kind of game Landry would of had in a game he never played in.

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 07:45 PM

2. His tendency to go into a funk when one more score puts a team away. This was when his INTs tended to happen, he just lost focus when we got a big lead.

And then you see a Game like Bama vs LSU this year that not only ends 9-3 in OT but LSU's QB (Jefferson/HoneyDew) :D goes 3/11 on 3rd Down Conversions and Bama's McCarron goes 5/13 in 3rd Down Conversions and they are dubbed "THE TWO BEST TEAMS for 2011.

Agreed that they both went undefeated except for Bama's Loss to LSU, it still kind of throws out your first point.

Just my opinion but if Ryan and Dom and Travis Lewis stay healthy and some of these wanna-be SuperStars would show up on the field instead of cry about PT....#2 on your list doesn't happen.

cccasooner2
12/31/2011, 07:53 PM
I actually agree with this. Whats BS is for anyone to guess what kind of game Landry would of had in a game he never played in.

That's what I said. :D

MamaMia
12/31/2011, 07:55 PM
That's what I said. :DI thought it better. :)

rock on sooner
12/31/2011, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps;3433754]For some folks, the value of a player like Landry will not be apparent until he's gone. I hope he chooses to stay for his senior year, however, I can't fault him for wanting his shot in the NFL either.[/QUOTE

Personally, I recognize his value now and, I believe, his worth to the Neffel. Right now, LJ needs another year with
Josh addressing some specifics..e.g. 2nd and 3rd reads, pocket mobility, mental clock for pocket breakdown, not
locking in on a particular receiver, etc. As to Josh, I'm guessing spring and fall preseason will address play calling,
but more importantly, a firm direction for the offense without RB. Most "experts" say that LJ needs another year...
I concur!

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 08:02 PM
Another Year will always help a QB as long as he can avoid injury. It's just a very easy thing to say.

You can also say that Landry could get picked up as a late 1st or Early 2nd Rounder and then hang around the NFL Sidelines getting tips and experience from Pros who have brought many other guys just like Landry around by being able to train them slow instead of spend 50-80 Million on the 1st Round Draft Pic and being forced to throw him to the Wolves his Rookie Season.

MamaMia
12/31/2011, 08:03 PM
Just curious...What are Laundrys numbers when Josh was on the sidlines as QB Coach, compared to when Josh was promoted to OC?

EatLeadCommie
12/31/2011, 08:08 PM
Just curious...What are Laundrys numbers when Josh was on the sidlines as QB Coach, compared to when Josh was promoted to OC?
Laundry? lol

In any event, does it matter? Josh has taken a different approach to the offensive game than Wilson did.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 09:21 PM
Another Year will always help a QB as long as he can avoid injury. It's just a very easy thing to say.

You can also say that Landry could get picked up as a late 1st or Early 2nd Rounder and then hang around the NFL Sidelines getting tips and experience from Pros who have brought many other guys just like Landry around by being able to train them slow instead of spend 50-80 Million on the 1st Round Draft Pic and being forced to throw him to the Wolves his Rookie Season.

^This is what I feel. Sure LJ will improve some amount with another year in college, but I think he improves more quickly jumping to the pro level with a new position coach. He's had 4 full years in our program with Josh and 37 starts; I think he gets diminishing returns at this point. I also don't believe he improves his draft stock that much with another year of the same thing. But I'd be happy if he comes back.

TXBOOMER
12/31/2011, 09:30 PM

Competition has alot to do with their Bowl record. LJ is a good QB but his bowl record doesn't mean dick as a comparing factor to any other OU QB..