PDA

View Full Version : So. Our Backup QB won MVP.

agoo758
12/31/2011, 01:44 AM
I love this team. :pop:

picasso
12/31/2011, 01:47 AM
Technically that would be Drew Allen.

FirstandGoal
12/31/2011, 01:48 AM
Even better

Neath a Western Sky
12/31/2011, 01:49 AM
Blake and the Belldozer brought a lot of joy to a season that had a lot of disappointment. Loved that last TD romp best of all! Yeehah!

sooneredaco
12/31/2011, 01:51 AM
Blake and the Belldozer brought a lot of joy to a season that had a lot of disappointment. Loved that last TD romp best of all! Yeehah!

Best part about it was when he couldn't even stop his own forward progress and kept running into the tunnel

SoonerMom2
12/31/2011, 03:18 AM
One of the first players to congratulate him was his roommate Landry Jones. AWESOME game here in Tempe!

LVSOONER15
12/31/2011, 10:02 AM
Bell is awesome so far.

badger
12/31/2011, 10:02 AM
Ever wonder if it bothers LJ just a little bit that as soon as it's goalline time, he gets yanked in favor of a redshirt freshman? No wonder LJ's touchdown stats are down, yknow?

It is hard to argue that Belldozer is super effective, but I'm really curious to see what direction our offense goes in the offseason. I suppose it depends on if LJ goes Neffeling or not.

delhalew
12/31/2011, 10:11 AM
Ever wonder if it bothers LJ just a little bit that as soon as it's goalline time, he gets yanked in favor of a redshirt freshman? No wonder LJ's touchdown stats are down, yknow?

It is hard to argue that Belldozer is super effective, but I'm really curious to see what direction our offense goes in the offseason. I suppose it depends on if LJ goes Neffeling or not.

In the third quarter they left Landry in at the ten yard line. I figured it was to throw LJ a bone, and boost his confidence. Tipped ball resulting in INT. Good hustle by the D, not really LJs fault, but they would have been better off with the Belldozer.

Sooner91ATL
12/31/2011, 10:14 AM

Landry can put on his resume that he is Blake Bell's fluffer, metaphorically speaking. Gets him ready for the end zone.

VA Sooner
12/31/2011, 10:19 AM
Best part about it was when he couldn't even stop his own forward progress and kept running into the tunnel

I noticed that too and laughed. Unstoppable. :congratulatory:

SoonerLaw09
12/31/2011, 10:58 AM
A Forrest Gump moment for sure. :)

BigTip
12/31/2011, 11:08 AM
I was going to start a thread about this, but I'll use this one to ask this question:

Why is the Belldozer so successful? So successful even with the enemy knowing what's coming. Sure he's big and is capable of powering it in, but on the majority of his touchdowns this year he's been relatively untouched. Does the line work harder for him when he's in? Is he that much better with that little pause/stutter step in finding an opening than other backs? If that's it, why can't he teach Finch or Landry that move?

Flagstaffsooner
12/31/2011, 11:13 AM
I was going to start a thread about this, but I'll use this one to ask this question:

Why is the Belldozer so successful? So successful even with the enemy knowing what's coming. Sure he's big and is capable of powering it in, but on the majority of his touchdowns this year he's been relatively untouched. Does the line work harder for him when he's in? Is he that much better with that little pause/stutter step in finding an opening than other backs? If that's it, why can't he teach Finch or Landry that move?If you were 6'6" and had two big f'in fullbacks blocking for you...

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 11:22 AM

Why is the Belldozer so successful? So successful even with the enemy knowing what's coming. Sure he's big and is capable of powering it in, but on the majority of his touchdowns this year he's been relatively untouched. Does the line work harder for him when he's in? Is he that much better with that little pause/stutter step in finding an opening than other backs? If that's it, why can't he teach Finch or Landry that move?

I've wondered that as well. The obvious thing is that we bring in bigger players and we usually have 10 guys blocking or 9 with 1 wide-out. But I think it's a combo of what you suggest. It's a real treat for the O-line to play pure "sled drill" football for a play or 2 and Bell is incredibly patience and instinctive picking a hole. Then once he decides, an arm tackle ain't slowing him down. It could also be that this is hard to simulate in practice and the other guy can only afford a little time to prepare. And it is very different than our regular offense preparation. Last night, we added a couple of twists - the first TD was a counter play instead of a power play. Most the line went right and Bell faked right. Then 2 guys pulled around left and Bell followed them untouched. It reminded me of the Stanford running game. The next TD, Bell sprinted right for a pure speed play instead of following blockers. I don't if that was planned or just Bell using his vision.

Johnny Utah
12/31/2011, 11:41 AM

There's another blocker (an RB) with the QB running basically leaving one defender on the QB ... adds a nice dimension to the offense.

rekamrettuB
12/31/2011, 11:43 AM
End up having more blockers or just as many plus two fullbacks leading the way. It's like the power I on steroids. And if you're Landry Jones it's no different than the coach calling 2 or 3 running plays on the goalline. No reason to get your dobber down.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 11:58 AM
I think it's more than just the extra blocker or else every team would anoint a big runner to do this. The defense knows it's coming and they can bring in extra beef too. It has to be scheme and execution as well and our guys obviously are doing a good job.

For the second question about why our regular backs are not as patient as Bell) When we are in the Belldozer and Bell is waiting for the blocks to develop, there is no defender that can even reach him. I haven't seen that situation in our regular set when we have 3-4 guys downfield as receivers. There are less guys on the line for both O and D and the D guys seem to find plenty of gaps to get to our RBs quickly so they can't be patient.

Jacie
12/31/2011, 12:18 PM
For the record, Landry Jones did break his (and the team's) touchdown pass drought with a 3-yard toss to Ratterree . . .

AzianSooner
12/31/2011, 01:20 PM
Big foot!

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2011, 01:22 PM
If Stills doesn't drop that TD pass, Landry wins MVP. Just one of those things.

delhalew
12/31/2011, 01:29 PM
Stills...don't get me started.

BigTip
12/31/2011, 02:42 PM

Just another one of our unfulfilled expectations of this year. Pretty good, just not great, like we were planning on.

Jacie
12/31/2011, 04:25 PM
I didn't watch the award ceremony but did Blake Bell get one of those funny-looking trophy's?

Salt City Sooner
12/31/2011, 06:13 PM
I didn't watch the award ceremony but did Blake Bell get one of those funny-looking trophy's?
Both he & Jamell (the overall MVP, IMO) got one.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2011, 07:11 PM
Stoops said Landry should have been MVP. I kind of agree. Didn't have a great game, had some high throws, but made some big ones as well.

Sooner70
1/1/2012, 01:19 AM
Fleming played lights out. The announcers couldn't get over how well he played his position and was everywhere the ball was.

OkieThunderLion
1/1/2012, 01:27 AM
Fleming played lights out. The announcers couldn't get over how well he played his position and was everywhere the ball was.
I think he won defensive MVP.

Though Lewis and Washington also had some big plays.

SoonernAR
1/1/2012, 06:07 AM
Let's not lose sight of the fact that we had utilize this gimmickry with Belldozer because our O-line catch push any defenses off the line in short yardage situations.

budbarrybob
1/1/2012, 07:38 AM
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

OUmillenium
1/1/2012, 12:15 PM
Belldozer has been the funnest part of most of the last half of the season.

SoonerWarMachine#1
1/1/2012, 12:55 PM

He might get hit . . .

85sooners
1/1/2012, 09:52 PM
lets party

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2012, 10:21 PM
I think it's more than just the extra blocker or else every team would anoint a big runner to do this. The defense knows it's coming and they can bring in extra beef too. It has to be scheme and execution as well and our guys obviously are doing a good job.

For the second question about why our regular backs are not as patient as Bell) When we are in the Belldozer and Bell is waiting for the blocks to develop, there is no defender that can even reach him. I haven't seen that situation in our regular set when we have 3-4 guys downfield as receivers. There are less guys on the line for both O and D and the D guys seem to find plenty of gaps to get to our RBs quickly so they can't be patient.

Several factors here.

1) We have the 10 best blockers on the field. I think I've outlined before that our WRs don't put a lot of effort into run blocking (including Broyles).
2) It is pure zone blocking designed to get us 4-5 yards. We aren't trying to get everyone blocked, just enough to create a bubble.
3) Bell has as good a feel for getting into those bubbles as Demarco did. The guy has really good short yard vision
4) Bell himself is huge. If he falls forward at the LOS its a 2 yard gain.
5) The OL doesn't care if the DL knows what kind of block they are going to throw so they can be fully leveraged in their stance.