PDA

View Full Version : Landry just becamethe first OU qb to win 3 bowls

stoopified
12/31/2011, 01:41 AM
Think about that for a minute,not Jimmy Harris,not Jack Mildren,not Jamelle Holieway,not Sam Bradford BUT Landry Jones. I am not saying this makes him OU's greatest qb ,although it does give him a unique badge of distinction in OU history.

sooneredaco
12/31/2011, 01:45 AM
That's not the only record he's broken at OU. He's a stud. Eff all the haters

sooneredaco
12/31/2011, 01:46 AM
And he's from my home state. Not a whole lot of good comes out of that state football wise so we're dang proud of him

picasso
12/31/2011, 01:49 AM
He's been good and he normally keeps both teams in the game.

3rdgensooner
12/31/2011, 01:50 AM
Landry is a great Sooner. I hope he finds more success, regardless of the path he chooses.

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 01:52 AM
Yeah.....it's OK to say he's one of the Greatest Sooner QBs. Because it's true.

To hell with anyone else who thinks differently.

Okie35
12/31/2011, 02:00 AM
He'll win 4 if he stays. Of topic but I had no idea the active streak for consecutive bowl wins was only 5. I figured it was higher.

nighttrain12
12/31/2011, 02:02 AM
He'll win 4 if he stays.

The Chick-fil-A Bowl next year?

Okie35
12/31/2011, 02:05 AM
The Chick-fil-A Bowl next year?

Whichever game our defense allows us to play in. At worse another Fiesta Bowl.

Jdog
12/31/2011, 02:17 AM
The Chick-fil-A Bowl next year?. But who will be the MVP of that game?

SoonerBacker
12/31/2011, 02:37 AM
There is absollutely NOTHING anyone can say, nor any fact they can point out that is going to make the haters of LJones agree that he is a solid qb and that we are d@mn lucky to have had him on our team...

SicEmBaylor
12/31/2011, 03:07 AM
And he's from my home state. Not a whole lot of good comes out of that state football wise so we're dang proud of him
What good comes out of that state non-football wise?

VA Sooner
12/31/2011, 03:10 AM
Good job, Landry.

sooneredaco
12/31/2011, 03:21 AM

Green Chilies!!!!

soonercastor
12/31/2011, 03:33 AM
Team stat.

Blue
12/31/2011, 03:35 AM
Blake Bell scored three TDs tonight. Jus sayin. I think Blake Bell can throw a screen too. Jus Sayin.

yermom
12/31/2011, 03:43 AM
He'll win 4 if he stays. Of topic but I had no idea the active streak for consecutive bowl wins was only 5. I figured it was higher.

i think BC was almost to double digits, but lost the same year ND broke their losing streak

12/31/2011, 04:14 AM
Bravo.

MyT Oklahoma
12/31/2011, 05:45 AM
Congratulations Landry.

Breadburner
12/31/2011, 09:20 AM

UFO's you idiot.....!!!!!!

AlboSooner
12/31/2011, 09:22 AM
Blake Bell scored three TDs tonight. Jus sayin. I think Blake Bell can throw a screen too. Jus Sayin.

Not only that, but playing in third tier bowl against bad teams helps a lot.
Landry is not even on the same page as those QB's mentioned above.

I wish him the best, and certainly consider him a good QB.

badger
12/31/2011, 09:28 AM
Hey, look! My avatar, sig and status are gone! :D

BillyBall
12/31/2011, 09:30 AM
Having the status "Insight Bowl Champs" is nothing to be proud of though...

badger
12/31/2011, 09:31 AM

I just needed it changed. How bout "winners of 3 consecutive bowls." that sounds cool...

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/31/2011, 09:44 AM

Green Chilies!!!![/QUOTE]

Green Chilies, mmmmmm!

picasso
12/31/2011, 10:17 AM
Coming from you this isn't surprising. Crack open an art history book sometime you Ron Paul nerd.:offended:

Lott's Bandana
12/31/2011, 10:22 AM
Fechin!!!

Flagstaffsooner
12/31/2011, 10:28 AM
Other stuff
1 - OU ranks No. 1 in the nation with 33 seasons of 10 wins or more.3 - Blake Bell tied an OU bowl record with three rushing touchdowns.

10 - Michael Hunnicutt finished the year by making his last 10 field goal attempts.

12 - Sophomore Tony Jefferson wore the No. 12 jersey in honor of Austin Box.
20 -OU has held its opponents scoreless in 20 of the 52 quarters played this season (39 percent).
25 - Kenny Stills has caught at least one pass in each of his 25 career games.
30 - Junior OL Ben Habern made his 30th career start on Friday. He is the fifth Sooner on the roster with at least 30 starts (Frank Alexander, Ryan Broyles, Landry Jones and Travis Lewis).
37 - Junior Landry Jones is tied for No. 1 all-time at OU with 37 starts at quarterback.
45 - Freshman Kameel Jackson had career highs in yards (45) and receptions (3).
52 - Trey Franks' 52-yard kickoff return in the second half was a career high.
54,247 - Today's attendance, the largest in Insight Bowl history.

Soonermagik
12/31/2011, 10:32 AM
The guy didn't play against national title contenders, either. The level of competition has a lot to do with winning bowl games. I think Sam, Gresham, Lofton etc... could beat Iowa, Stanford and Connecticut... I'm just saying. Oh... and Blake Bell was more effective than Landry tonight.. IMHO.

I really want Jones to declare for the draft. I'm ready for the Blake Bell/Drew Allen era. Landry just isn't a leader and he's not mobile. He certainly won some games for OU and I appreciate that, but I'm just ready to move on.

FirstandGoal
12/31/2011, 10:43 AM
Hey, look! My avatar, sig and status are gone! :D

Less orange around this place=win.

Nice to see you back to normal, badj :)

possumfat
12/31/2011, 10:58 AM
I appreciate everything LJ has done and he is a good QB..............think he will be making a business decision soon and try the NFL. I must admit I don't see the potential being presented that makes him that great of an NFL prospect but who am I to question the ability of scouts??? Hope it works out for him!!

I do see some exciting potential with Bell and know we would experience some growing pains if he becomes the next QB.............his ability to run and mobility
are exceptional plus he has some major size. If I recall he was recruited based on his passing skills...................ready to find out!

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 11:07 AM

Beats the hell out of "Insight Bowl Runners-up"

soonercoop1
12/31/2011, 11:11 AM
Congrats LJ! We wish you well in the NFL next season!

BigTip
12/31/2011, 11:15 AM
Beats the hell out of "Insight Bowl Runners-up"

True dat! lol

BigTip
12/31/2011, 11:18 AM
If I recall he was recruited based on his passing skills...................ready to find out!

Yes, just because we haven't seen it, doesn't mean he can't.

Landry's legacy is slightly tarnished with the way he finished the year. But he has made some major accomplishments and I am glad he has been a Sooner.

Widescreen
12/31/2011, 11:26 AM
Other stuff
20 -OU has held its opponents scoreless in 20 of the 52 quarters played this season (39 percent).

32 - The number of quarters OU opponents have lit up the scoreboard this season.

;)

BigTip
12/31/2011, 11:26 AM
32 - The number of quarters OU opponents have lit up the scoreboard this season.

;)

LOL

JLEW1818
12/31/2011, 12:38 PM
2 unranked teams
21st ranked team without Luck.

I still take Sam, Jason, and Josh over Landry.

He is Stoops 4th best at OU.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2011, 01:11 PM
The Jimmy Harris comparison is a bit weak, since 1) freshmen weren't allowed to play back then and 2) you couldn't go to a bowl two years in a row back then.

However, I like Landry a lot. You can always wish for more consistency. Losing the best receiver in program history and the starting running back definitely affected him the last few games.

olevetonahill
12/31/2011, 01:14 PM

It beats the livin hell out of "Insight Bowl Losers" tho dont it ?

Edit , Shoulda read the rest of the thread :subdued:

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2011, 01:21 PM
Landry is very good. I feel a bit for him that the rest of the offense does not enable him to say on the field for the majority of the scoring. You'd think we could get a little better run game without resorting to 10 blockers. But can't argue with it's success.

delhalew
12/31/2011, 01:41 PM
Whoever slings it next year, what's gonna take for Stills to work for a catch rather than hoping somebody hits him in the numbers. Kameel out did Kenny last night.

We need him to step up. I miss the Stills we saw at FSU and the Cotton Bowl.

cvsooner
12/31/2011, 02:36 PM
I like the sportswriter's comment that "Jones drives the car. Bell gets to park it."

IBleedCrimson
12/31/2011, 10:58 PM
And he's from my home state. Not a whole lot of good comes out of that state except The Bomb which ended WWII and damn fine Engineers, CompSci people via NM Tech.

FIFY. Couldn't help myself :)

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 11:09 PM
Whoever slings it next year, what's gonna take for Stills to work for a catch rather than hoping somebody hits him in the numbers. Kameel out did Kenny last night.

We need him to step up. I miss the Stills we saw at FSU and the Cotton Bowl.

I have a feeling that Kenny isn't healthy either. He was pulling down some great stuff in the FSU Game and a few others early on. Later he just looked like he was really having a hard time getting to where Landry expected him to be. Just look at that pass in the EZ last night. Landry didn't go high on that. He put it right where Kenny could catch it. It hit his shoulder pads.

I couldn't believe he missed that. If he had been another WR, I might have believed it but not Stills. His focus has to be off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT5yTR_Bn-o

This is what I'm talking about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c44z4IZKeDQ

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 11:17 PM
And another one.....it's at 1:35 or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGo7FMatEEk

delhalew
12/31/2011, 11:25 PM
Those Stills catches were he got Slobber knocked, are what I give credit for what we are seeing now. He looked flinchy and half committed to making the catch. Pisses me off.

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 11:38 PM
He has taken some hits

Eielson
1/1/2012, 02:29 PM

Landry could just as easily run those touchdowns in. In fact, he'd probably be better, seeing as he's actually a threat to throw it. It's not about Bell. It's about the formation and the blocking.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2012, 02:37 PM
Landry could just as easily run those touchdowns in. In fact, he'd probably be better, seeing as he's actually a threat to throw it. It's not about Bell. It's about the formation and the blocking.

This is silly. Bell hasn't reached the endzone because the OL and blockers have opened up clear running lanes....he has reached the end zone because he plows through the pile (in most cases). Bell is a behemoth who can plow better than both John Deere and John Holmes. Landry is a pocket-passer (a good one) who is built like a pocket passer.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 02:40 PM
This is silly. Bell hasn't reached the endzone because the OL and blockers have opened up clear running lanes....he has reached the end zone because he plows through the pile (in most cases). Bell is a behemoth who can plow better than both John Deere and John Holmes. Landry is a pocket-passer (a good one) who is built like a pocket passer.

Sometimes Blake did indeed push his way through the pile but you are absolutely wrong. We had guys blocking like crazy for him...watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjSDv47wOfk

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 02:43 PM
BTW....aren't you in mourning? RG3 is going Pro.

After losing his scooter....SicEm began Dozing at teh Walmarts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djbmhXtLx8k

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2012, 03:01 PM

As ST said, you haven't been watching (nor should you, silly bear fan). On many plays, Bell wasn't touched because the guys up from plowed the way. *But* LJ could not have done the same thing. Bell shows he is a very instinctive runner and he waits and waits picking his way behind the line until something opens up. LJ has shown no ability to do that. And in some cases, yes, Bell has resorted to brute strength; especially in short yardage that is not on the goal line. He'll first get the required yardage for 1st down and then plow for a more.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2012, 03:48 PM
BTW....aren't you in mourning? RG3 is going Pro.
Sad? I want RGIII to go Pro...I'm hoping he doesn't come back.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 03:52 PM
Sad? I want RGIII to go Pro...I'm hoping he doesn't come back.

Wow. I figured you'd want to see him reach Real Legend Status at Baylor. 2 Heismans would legitimize it if he stinks it up in the NFL like I think he's gonna do.

Has he finished his degree?

3rdgensooner
1/1/2012, 03:56 PM
Why would you expect RGIII to "stink it up"?

Eielson
1/1/2012, 04:49 PM

Bell occasionally used his size to plow through people, but the blocking was the main reason for the success of that formation. Don't get me wrong, Bell is better at plowing through people, but I feel the threat that Landry would pose as a passer would pretty much negate that advantage. Blake often walked into the endzone untouched, and when he was hit, it was usually at least a yard or two past the line of scrimmage.

I can respect the opinion that Landry wouldn't have ran the formation nearly as well, but to act as if Bell is the reason why that formation works is silly. OU has plenty of people who could've ran that formation. I saw Austin Haywood run the wildcat formation in high school, and he would have been even harder to bring down (yes I know he's gone, but I don't think he would've been if he had been running in touchdowns from this formation). Nobody else on the team can do what Landry does as a passer, though. It's beyond idiotic to think that our team would be better off with Bell as our starting quarterback instead of Landry.

I love that we run the formation with Bell, though. I think it will help us to keep him when, if Landry goes pro, Drew Allen beats him out as the starting QB.

Frozen Sooner
1/1/2012, 06:50 PM
Wow. I figured you'd want to see him reach Real Legend Status at Baylor. 2 Heismans would legitimize it if he stinks it up in the NFL like I think he's gonna do.

He's 12 hours away from a Master's. And I don't see a single thing about his game that makes me think he won't be good in the pros, other than potentially his size.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 07:22 PM
He's 12 hours away from a Master's. And I don't see a single thing about his game that makes me think he won't be good in the pros, other than potentially his size.I was thinking he had finished his degree. I now remember hearing that he was working on the Masters. I was thinking he had really pursued such study so that he could at least be a Sportscaster. It should do him well in about 3 years years when it's all over.

He's no Cam Newton and QBs don't get to run like that in the NFL. He was lucky to get the Heisman this year...anyone with a brain knows that the guys who should have got it didn't because they weren't in the SEC and they lost some key games. RGIII was 21st in Passing in the NCAA this year. The 699 yards rushing really helped put him past the others but if he'd had another 700 yards passing added to that 4200 yards passing, he would have locked it down this year. Instead he just slid into the Heisman IMO. Pocket Passer Landry Jones was 7th even though he had a bad year. I would take Brandon Weeden over RGIII if I was a Pro Team just because I think he's a very mature and seems to be getting better the more he's Coached. RGIII seems to be a guy that when he doesn't have anyone to make a play to....he takes off and makes it with his feet. Also I don't think he's that accurate but maybe he will prepare for the Combines and the Wonderlic and do very well. Time will show us just how valuable he and some others who are looking for the 50 Million Dollar NFL Payday.

3rdgensooner
1/1/2012, 08:49 PM
Also I don't think he's that accurate but maybe he will prepare for the Combines and the Wonderlic and do very well. He's in a Masters program at Baylor. I think he'll do okay on the Wonderlic.

TitoMorelli
1/1/2012, 09:40 PM

Oh please.

Salt City Sooner
1/1/2012, 09:42 PM
I was thinking he had finished his degree. I now remember hearing that he was working on the Masters. I was thinking he had really pursued such study so that he could at least be a Sportscaster. It should do him well in about 3 years years when it's all over.

He's no Cam Newton and QBs don't get to run like that in the NFL. He was lucky to get the Heisman this year...anyone with a brain knows that the guys who should have got it didn't because they weren't in the SEC and they lost some key games. RGIII was 21st in Passing in the NCAA this year. The 699 yards rushing really helped put him past the others but if he'd had another 700 yards passing added to that 4200 yards passing, he would have locked it down this year. Instead he just slid into the Heisman IMO. Pocket Passer Landry Jones was 7th even though he had a bad year. I would take Brandon Weeden over RGIII if I was a Pro Team just because I think he's a very mature and seems to be getting better the more he's Coached. RGIII seems to be a guy that when he doesn't have anyone to make a play to....he takes off and makes it with his feet. Also I don't think he's that accurate but maybe he will prepare for the Combines and the Wonderlic and do very well. Time will show us just how valuable he and some others who are looking for the 50 Million Dollar NFL Payday.
Wow. I respect your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. A few things:

He's no Cam Newton and QBs don't get to run like that in the NFL.
By in large, you're correct that most NFL QB's are pocket ones, but guys like Newton & Vick prove that there is a place for the ones who can tuck it & go. BTW, Newton finished w/ more rushing yardage than RG3, & yes, I know he played 4 more games. The jist of my point still stands.

2. Just curious as to who should've won the Heisman in your opinion ?

RGIII was 21st in Passing in the NCAA this year.
He was also # 2 in passing efficiency, a much more reliable stat over the course of a year (Jones was 34th). FWIW, his QB rating was higher this year than either of Bradford's seasons in Norman.

RGIII seems to be a guy that when he doesn't have anyone to make a play to....he takes off and makes it with his feet.
So he scans the field, goes through his progressions, & when there isn't anybody open to get the ball to, he still has the ability to kill a D with his legs. I'd be very interested as to what OC wouldn't call a guy like that a dream.

Also I don't think he's that accurate
Over 72% accuracy says otherwise. He also led the NCAA in yards per attempt, which pretty much dispells any "all he does is dink & dunk" (not directing that toward you, BTW, just in general) myths. The guy throws one of, if not the best deep ball I've seen in college since White.

Again, I'm not saying this towards you specifically, but IMO, I think there's still a good number of people who saw him as a freshman, stuck the "throwing running back" moniker on him (an arguement I could've bought back then, FWIW), & still believe it when in fact he's transformed his game into that of a fabulous QB who can hurt a D w/ his legs if that's what they give him. I'm with Froze in the respect that if he had 2-3 more inches height, I don't believe that Luck going #1 would be a stone cold lock (though I do lean toward him doing so due to having played in a pro style O already).

Fraggle145
1/1/2012, 09:44 PM
i think BC was almost to double digits, but lost the same year ND broke their losing streak

Utah had 9 straight until last year I think.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2012, 10:29 PM

I don't think he would get a repeat Heisman, and I think he's accomplished everything at Baylor that he can. I want to see him move on at the pinnacle of his success. Next year is Flo's senior year (backup QB) who started for a season +a few including half the Tech game this year. If RGIII comes back then in 2013 we'd be starting a totally inexperienced sophomore.

I love RGIII and god knows I wouldn't be disappointed to see him come back, but I think he's done all he can do at Baylor. Time to move on.

Oh and +1 everything that Salt said.

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 10:58 PM
I don't think he would get a repeat Heisman, and I think he's accomplished everything at Baylor that he can. I want to see him move on at the pinnacle of his success. Next year is Flo's senior year (backup QB) who started for a season +a few including half the Tech game this year. If RGIII comes back then in 2013 we'd be starting a totally inexperienced sophomore.

I love RGIII and god knows I wouldn't be disappointed to see him come back, but I think he's done all he can do at Baylor. Time to move on.

I'm just pulling your chain as usual. :D

I agree with everything you said in this post and if he is going to sign...right now is the best time for him to do it IMO but if he's not ready and wants to come back to BU...he still has the choice evidently. I guess he is going to extend it out until the 15th. I was really hoping he would just come right out and admit he was gonna make the jump but evidently he thought it through and changed his mind or all these folks who have written articles are at Home tonight hoping their Editor doesn't fire them in the morning....lol

StoopTroup
1/1/2012, 11:48 PM
Wow. I respect your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. A few things:

By in large, you're correct that most NFL QB's are pocket ones, but guys like Newton & Vick prove that there is a place for the ones who can tuck it & go. BTW, Newton finished w/ more rushing yardage than RG3, & yes, I know he played 4 more games. The jist of my point still stands.

2. Just curious as to who should've won the Heisman in your opinion ?

He was also # 2 in passing efficiency, a much more reliable stat over the course of a year (Jones was 34th). FWIW, his QB rating was higher this year than either of Bradford's seasons in Norman.

So he scans the field, goes through his progressions, & when there isn't anybody open to get the ball to, he still has the ability to kill a D with his legs. I'd be very interested as to what OC wouldn't call a guy like that a dream.

Over 72% accuracy says otherwise. He also led the NCAA in yards per attempt, which pretty much dispells any "all he does is dink & dunk" (not directing that toward you, BTW, just in general) myths. The guy throws one of, if not the best deep ball I've seen in college since White.

Again, I'm not saying this towards you specifically, but IMO, I think there's still a good number of people who saw him as a freshman, stuck the "throwing running back" moniker on him (an arguement I could've bought back then, FWIW), & still believe it when in fact he's transformed his game into that of a fabulous QB who can hurt a D w/ his legs if that's what they give him. I'm with Froze in the respect that if he had 2-3 more inches height, I don't believe that Luck going #1 would be a stone cold lock (though I do lean toward him doing so due to having played in a pro style O already).

Wow...you really tore that down. Nice.

1st of all....two guys Vick and Newton. Neither made the playoffs. MEH. Vick has sucked really bad and he even blew up trying to run. If he's gonna last any longer in the NFL....he better start nailing WRs with the ball. He's 31 years old in his 10th Season and not even close to ever winning a Super Bowl. Cam is young and even though he out performed Vick this year by 1000 yards....the Panthers had a worse Season that the Eagles.

2nd...I think if we had to reach down to the Baylor level to find a QB to give the Trophy too.....Montee Ball would have been a really good choice. 1700 rushing yards is incredible and 32 TDs sweetens the deal even more for me. if you compare Montee's Stats to Mark Ingram who was the last Running back to win the Heisman you can see that this year really became political and it seemed like they were determined to pick another QB to win the Trophy not just a QB that has gone undefeated. If they had done that Mathieu from LSU would have been picked. Ball got the shaft IMO.

3rd...it's great you found a Stat he was high in. He still isn't 1st. The passing efficiency rating even has Andrew Luck, Case Keenum and Kellen Moore right up there with RGIII so with my theory that Ball really was over-looked this year....I can see your point but it's not one that doesn't also include some guys who were on Teams not only better than Baylor but some just as good as Baylor. It was unbelievable to me that Washington was even in the damn game against BU with 4 INT's.

4th....no one in the NFL. He won't be throwing to the same caliber of WRs that he was at BU. Hopefully he'll get the damn ball to them and considering that he did have over 4000 this year and 3500 in 2010....it was a huge improvement over his first year. We of course can't count his medical year in which he tore his ACL.

5th...maybe your best point but this is where I'm not really using stats to justify how I feel about his accuracy. It's more just the whole Strength of Schedule thing for me. I'm not gonna even try to dispute your theory of his accuracy...I'm just gonna say I think he had some guys really pull down some passes for him this year and that they did it by shoving off and loose Refereeing. I just have a feeling he'll be exposed in the Combines and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hey...maybe I'm wrong and he is what you think he is or maybe he'll hire someone to help him out and prepare him for the combines like Sam did and he'll nail the Combines and the Wonderlic Test, but I have this aching feeling that he's just not as good as his Heisman Trophy says he is and I'd still take Andrew Luck over him if I was picking a QB early in the draft.

Widescreen
1/2/2012, 03:14 AM
Speaking of passer efficiency:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

In Division I FBS (formerly Division I-A), the career record for passing efficiency is held by Matthew Savoy of Oklahoma, who had a career mark of 175.6 between 2007 and 2009.[8] The single-season record belongs to Robert Griffin III of the Baylor University, who achieved a passer rating of 189.5 over the 2011 season,[9] while the freshman record belongs to Michael Vick of Virginia Tech, whose rating during the 1999 season was 180.4.

I don't recall Matthew Savoy but he sounds awesome.

Eielson
1/2/2012, 03:46 AM
I coulda sworn Sam had held that record.

SicEmBaylor
1/2/2012, 03:51 AM
Wow...you really tore that down. Nice.

1st of all....two guys Vick and Newton. Neither made the playoffs. MEH. Vick has sucked really bad and he even blew up trying to run. If he's gonna last any longer in the NFL....he better start nailing WRs with the ball. He's 31 years old in his 10th Season and not even close to ever winning a Super Bowl. Cam is young and even though he out performed Vick this year by 1000 yards....the Panthers had a worse Season that the Eagles.

2nd...I think if we had to reach down to the Baylor level to find a QB to give the Trophy too.....Montee Ball would have been a really good choice. 1700 rushing yards is incredible and 32 TDs sweetens the deal even more for me. if you compare Montee's Stats to Mark Ingram who was the last Running back to win the Heisman you can see that this year really became political and it seemed like they were determined to pick another QB to win the Trophy not just a QB that has gone undefeated. If they had done that Mathieu from LSU would have been picked. Ball got the shaft IMO.

3rd...it's great you found a Stat he was high in. He still isn't 1st. The passing efficiency rating even has Andrew Luck, Case Keenum and Kellen Moore right up there with RGIII so with my theory that Ball really was over-looked this year....I can see your point but it's not one that doesn't also include some guys who were on Teams not only better than Baylor but some just as good as Baylor. It was unbelievable to me that Washington was even in the damn game against BU with 4 INT's.

4th....no one in the NFL. He won't be throwing to the same caliber of WRs that he was at BU. Hopefully he'll get the damn ball to them and considering that he did have over 4000 this year and 3500 in 2010....it was a huge improvement over his first year. We of course can't count his medical year in which he tore his ACL.

5th...maybe your best point but this is where I'm not really using stats to justify how I feel about his accuracy. It's more just the whole Strength of Schedule thing for me. I'm not gonna even try to dispute your theory of his accuracy...I'm just gonna say I think he had some guys really pull down some passes for him this year and that they did it by shoving off and loose Refereeing. I just have a feeling he'll be exposed in the Combines and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hey...maybe I'm wrong and he is what you think he is or maybe he'll hire someone to help him out and prepare him for the combines like Sam did and he'll nail the Combines and the Wonderlic Test, but I have this aching feeling that he's just not as good as his Heisman Trophy says he is and I'd still take Andrew Luck over him if I was picking a QB early in the draft.

You and Rus are two peas in a pod when it comes to football sense, spin, and density. I shake my head at the absurdity of most of this, but THIS quote really really has me laughing:
4th....no one in the NFL. He won't be throwing to the same caliber of WRs that he was at BU.
BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes, clearly, the NFL does not have the same caliber of WR's that mighty Baylor does with its stable full of 5* WR's and 1st round draft picks. HAHAHA, oh ****, you know half the time I honestly don't know if you are high, kidding around, or serious. I really hope it's one or both of the first two.

budbarrybob
1/2/2012, 05:43 AM
Thx LJ

kenth68
1/3/2012, 06:18 AM
LJ's instincts have been honed as a pocket passer. He drops like a bag of sand on threat of impact. Not that that's bad, it's just what he's been trained to do. Bell has no such instinct, which is why he's been so effective.

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2012, 04:16 PM
The problem with Big 12 QB in the NFLs is that...surprise, in the NFL, they play defense. If setting NCAA passing records and post season awards translated into NFL success, Timmy Chang would be battling Graham Harrell and Dan LeFevour every year for MVP honors. Bubble screens and running around hoping a receiver will get open doesn't fly in the NFL.

There is a night and day difference in the NFL and college game...as much or more difference as between college and high school.

In the NFL, you've got to be a game manager. That's why guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco can step into the NFL and excel even though you'd never heard of them.

Landry is a good college QB. There are dozens of them. But, like most Big 12 QBs, he's a shotgun system guy who will have wasted four or five years of college if his goal was to become a successful NFL quarterback.

PrideMom
1/3/2012, 04:48 PM
Imagine what Landry's numbers would be if the receivers caught the ball! There were many times he threw it right on the numbers and they dropped the ball. (Hanna, Ratteree, Stills) When Broyles and Reynolds weren't able to play it certainly changed the game plans.....

Herr Scholz
1/3/2012, 04:51 PM
So is he staying or does anyone know?

cvsooner
1/3/2012, 06:15 PM
If media reports quoting Landry are to be believed, even he doesn't know.

I Am Right
1/3/2012, 07:15 PM
and, have the worst performance next to hybl

Eielson
1/3/2012, 09:02 PM
So is he staying or does anyone know?

Stoops said he thought he'd be back. Far from certain, though.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2012, 12:20 AM
Whitney knows, but she hasn't told Landry yet. She is keeping it to herself for a while in case she has a change of heart.

LawtonBoy74
1/4/2012, 12:25 AM
Landry is a good QB... nuff said.

Its hard to win one bowl game and he has won 3!!! No matter the competition he has won 3 bowl games. That itself is impressive. People will be really upset if Landry leaves this year. You don't realize what you have til its gone. Anyone remember Demarco Murray and how people wanted Finch to get more carries and people thought that Finch would be better than D. Murray this year. Well, look how that turned out.

winout
1/4/2012, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Landry. I suppose most qb's in our system did not start as sophomores and Stoops has shown he won't yank a qb unless he commits a crime.

AZSOONER
1/4/2012, 11:45 AM
He's Nate Hybl with better recievers.

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2012, 11:48 AM
He's Nate Hybl with better recievers.

http://in-this-economy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Antoine-Dodson.png

AZSOONER
1/4/2012, 11:56 AM
Imagine what Landry's numbers would be if the receivers caught the ball! There were many times he threw it right on the numbers and they dropped the ball.. There were more times they made spectacular catches to help him out. If you actually pay attention to his passes, the majority of them are behind the receiver or over their heads.