PDA

View Full Version : If it were up to Bob . . . excuse me, RG III, I am sure he would play his senior year

Jacie
12/30/2011, 01:10 PM
But seeing the sideline shots of his parents, that look on his mother's face said it all. You could see the wheels to the calculator in her head whirring, counting the signing bonus, figuring the deferred payments, along with the annual salary her first round, top 3 NFL draft pick son will bring her urr, the family.

Hell, if it were his decision, I was thinking he might even consider transferring to another school (dare I even think it . . . oklahoma?) since under NCAA rules for graduate student athletes (which he has managed after only his third year in college) he could elect to play his final season of eligibility anywhere without sitting out a year.

But mama has decided this one, you could see it. She wasn't yelling for the Bears or showing any emotion over the many twists and turns that occurred during the contest when first one team and then the other would take the lead (I had no stake in this one and I was gasping). No, her investment in this one was focused on one thing, her son finishing his career with arms and legs intact so that he will be of maximum value to the brokers at the next level.

Enjoy the next couple of weeks RG III. That is what you have left of this phase of your life. Yo mama has spoken.

sooneron
12/30/2011, 01:12 PM
Or maybe she just didn't want her son hurt in what was a meaningless game, thereby, affecting or ending his career.

SoonerTerry
12/30/2011, 01:19 PM
Jacie... I agree with none of this. And as for RGIII thinking about transfering to OU, hell anywhere..,.,,. I know its gameday, but you are hittin the drink a little too early and a little too hard.

Jacie
12/30/2011, 02:17 PM
The transferring was just wishful thinking.

But the other post, isn't that what I said?

EatLeadCommie
12/30/2011, 02:37 PM
I don't think that transfer rule applies anymore. It existed for a season or two, and then I think the NCAA took it back.

Lott's Bandana
12/30/2011, 02:44 PM
But isn't that what Russell Wilson did, Commie...? From NCState to Wisconsin? I don't recall him sitting out a year. I'm too lazy to look it up.

jmr_77
12/30/2011, 02:47 PM
You're right Lott's. Russell Wilson did not sit out a year after transferring from NC State.

rekamrettuB
12/30/2011, 02:53 PM
If your graduate studies aren't offered at your school, you can transfer w/out sitting a year. So basically if you graduate and you don't want to to stay at the same school, choose a graduate program that your school doesn't offer.

BillyBall
12/30/2011, 02:58 PM
But doesn't the existing school have to release you? I thought that's how the Wilson thing went down, he had to get released from NC State.

Why in the hell would Baylor ever release RG III?

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2011, 03:21 PM
But isn't that what Russell Wilson did, Commie...? From NCState to Wisconsin? I don't recall him sitting out a year. I'm too lazy to look it up.

The SEC rescinded the graduate school exception because of Masolli (sp?) going from the ducks to ole Miss. It was thought his case was not within the spirit of the rule (probably true). I don't think other conferences have followed yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if this transfer exception goes away. And no, the school losing the player does not have any say or else the rule would be worthless. I actually like the rule as it is one of the few that is pro-academic and I think it is worth keeping even if it benefits a Masolli type every once in a while. It's not like this is available to a large group of athletes or even applicable to many "game changers". Most really good players are either doing great at their current school or hear the NFL beckoning. Russell Wilson was an example of this rule working and being a positive thing.

gwydion
12/30/2011, 03:30 PM
Yes the school losing the player does have a say. Check out the basketball player who transferred from St. Joe's to UAB but the BB coach wouldn't release him so he can't play for UAB this year.

rekamrettuB
12/30/2011, 03:31 PM
Yes the school losing the player does have a say. Check out the basketball player who transferred from St. Joe's to UAB but the BB coach wouldn't release him so he can't play for UAB this year.
Was this a graduate student or an undergraduate? I read it but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it.

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2011, 03:38 PM
The post-graduate program would have to be a doctoral program or professional school, because RGIII graduated this semester with his Masters in Communications.

This thread is bizarre.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2011, 03:57 PM

Wow, I just read that Todd O'Brian case and it is pathetic! It makes the coach look like a total ****** getting revenge on a bench player. So even if the school can prevent such a transfer, it's a PR nightmare if they do. Makes me applaud the NC state coach for being reasonable because there was friction with him and Russell Wilson and Wilson was a very good player. But both parties had reason to disagree. The coach was going to demote Wilson from starting QB his senior year if he played baseball in the spring while Wilson thinks his real pro future may be in baseball. Both views are legit and the transfer gave both parties a reasonable way out.

I think the O'brian (basketball) case would be the more typical situation. A backup player doing everything right in practice and in the classroom, but has no shot of any real playing time. His reward for getting his degree is to extend the scholarship another year to cover grad school and maybe have a shot at some actual PT at a lesser school before retiring to the office. The right kind of example to encourage.

gwydion
12/30/2011, 04:02 PM
Was this a graduate student or an undergraduate? I read it but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it.

Yes, he is a graduate student. UAB offered a degree his original school did not. He could not get playing time at St. Joes and wanted to play his last year and learned as a graduate student he could transfer and not sit out. Former coach is being a jerk and he's getting bad press nationwide for it.

Sooner5030
12/30/2011, 04:10 PM
the purpose of getting a scholarship is to get a good undergrad education for free and/or try to excel enough to get drafted and be a professional athlete.

RGIII has accomplished both of these goals.

Lott's Bandana
12/30/2011, 04:12 PM
But doesn't the existing school have to release you? I thought that's how the Wilson thing went down, he had to get released from NC State.

Why in the hell would Baylor ever release aTm?

Wait. Wrong topic.

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2011, 04:14 PM
Mythical dragons swooping in and devouring the world in their fiery breath of death is a more legitimate topic of discussion than the idea that RGIII would or could somehow use his last year of eligibility at OU or anywhere else other than Baylor.

Lott's Bandana
12/30/2011, 04:27 PM
Mythical dragons swooping in and devouring the world in their fiery breath of death is a more legitimate topic of discussion than the idea that RGIII would or could somehow use his last year of eligibility at OU or anywhere else other than Baylor.

But SicEm, your siggy shows a profound interest in fantasy prognosticating. I'm surprised you're so ruffled by this discussion.

En_Fuego
12/30/2011, 04:29 PM

Why would he want to ? He wouldn't have anyone to block for him. ;)

badger
12/30/2011, 04:32 PM
I have no doubt that there are people around RG3 that want a piece of his future fortune (I think the commentators mentioned at one point that people were wheeling kids up in wheelchairs to ask for RG3's Heisman-winning autograph, only to have RG3 spot the same kids running around able-bodied later), but I didn't get that kind of vibe from momma or the rest of the family.

Rather, it looked like everyone was nervous for his well-being, as I'm sure every family/friend of football players are in such a violent, hard hitting sport. Perhaps it was out of concern for money, but perhaps (and this is more likely), it was out of concern for a son, a future husband (his wife reminds me of every starting quarterback's girlfriend/fiance that I've seen at Texas A&M and Texas that the TV cameras continually show, lol), a sibling, a friend, etc.

I don't think RG3 returns. If it weren't for Andrew Luck being the prototypical NFL starting quarterback mold, RG3 would probably be this year's Cam Newton --- a sure-fire pick for No. 1 status and companies fighting over him for a big endorsement deal (sign with Nike just for letting Baylor have cool matte colored helmets!).

It isn't just a money thing... it's a "how much more can he do for Baylor or himself" thing. He's already won the Heisman, he's already beaten Texas and (grrrr) us, he's already won Baylor its first bowl in 19 years... he's not going to win another Heisman. He's not going to win the Big 12. He's not going to lead Baylor to a better bowl victory and perhaps, not even a better season than he did this year.

Time to go, dude.

En_Fuego
12/30/2011, 04:37 PM
These type's of discussions are ridiculous. Who wouldn't go Pro and get the Bucks when they had the chance. Who's Mother wouldn't want her Son to turn Pro and get the Bucks when the Son had the chance ?

Especially when the Son has already received his degree.

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2011, 04:45 PM
I have no doubt that there are people around RG3 that want a piece of his future fortune (I think the commentators mentioned at one point that people were wheeling kids up in wheelchairs to ask for RG3's Heisman-winning autograph, only to have RG3 spot the same kids running around able-bodied later), but I didn't get that kind of vibe from momma or the rest of the family.

Rather, it looked like everyone was nervous for his well-being, as I'm sure every family/friend of football players are in such a violent, hard hitting sport. Perhaps it was out of concern for money, but perhaps (and this is more likely), it was out of concern for a son, a future husband (his wife reminds me of every starting quarterback's girlfriend/fiance that I've seen at Texas A&M and Texas that the TV cameras continually show, lol), a sibling, a friend, etc.

I don't think RG3 returns. If it weren't for Andrew Luck being the prototypical NFL starting quarterback mold, RG3 would probably be this year's Cam Newton --- a sure-fire pick for No. 1 status and companies fighting over him for a big endorsement deal (sign with Nike just for letting Baylor have cool matte colored helmets!).

It isn't just a money thing... it's a "how much more can he do for Baylor or himself" thing. He's already won the Heisman, he's already beaten Texas and (grrrr) us, he's already won Baylor its first bowl in 19 years... he's not going to win another Heisman. He's not going to win the Big 12. He's not going to lead Baylor to a better bowl victory and perhaps, not even a better season than he did this year.

Time to go, dude.

I agree with all of this. I want RGIII to end his Baylor career at the pinnacle. God speed RGIII!

101sooner
12/30/2011, 04:54 PM
But seeing the sideline shots of his parents, that look on his mother's face said it all. You could see the wheels to the calculator in her head whirring, counting the signing bonus, figuring the deferred payments, along with the annual salary her first round, top 3 NFL draft pick son will bring her urr, the family.

I didn't see this. I saw a couple of relatively young Senior NCO's with a great pension and full benefits enjoying a football game.

badger
12/30/2011, 04:58 PM
I agree with all of this. I want RGIII to end his Baylor career at the pinnacle. God speed RGIII!

So you liked Baylor's helmets too?
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/934253/Ah37y7ICAAEdteu.jpg

Of course, Nike saved their best helmet efforts for their annual WTF with precious Oregon:
http://kegsneggsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Oregon-Ducks-Rose-Bowl-Helmet-2-1.jpg
^^^not a fark

Boomer Mooner
12/31/2011, 12:53 AM
I liked the Baylor helmets. That Oregon helmet is the suck.

Tear Down This Wall
12/31/2011, 02:06 AM
Who give a crap what he does? Like Vince Young, he had a 1-2 record against OU. Let the loser and his family cash in before he reaps NFL failure. He can always replace J.J. Joe on the Baylor broadcast team if he can't catch on as a backup down the line a la Vince Young.

picasso
12/31/2011, 02:07 AM
He's actually won at Baylor. I wouldn't call that a loser.

Tear Down This Wall
12/31/2011, 02:16 AM
He's 1-2 against us...that's loser. Let the Baylor fans fawn over him. He caught lightning in a bottle because Texas is down and we were the walking wounded when we played them...and he still needed a miracle finish against us at that.

His NFL career will easily equal the failure of Vince Young. Why anyone on this board worries about what his mama thinks...?

Ridiculous.

StoopTroup
12/31/2011, 02:23 AM

You mean like winning a Heisman and then a Bowl game?

I don't see those two things happening in the same season again at Baylor ever.

12/31/2011, 02:26 AM
I love it when we drink. Just livens up the place.

SicEmBaylor
12/31/2011, 02:29 AM
Who give a crap what he does? Like Vince Young, he had a 1-2 record against OU. Let the loser and his family cash in before he reaps NFL failure. He can always replace J.J. Joe on the Baylor broadcast team if he can't catch on as a backup down the line a la Vince Young.

Clearly he's mediocre at best especially since the definitive measuring stick for the quality of any given college player is their w/l record against OU. Sure he broke every record at Baylor, took Baylor to its first bowl game since the Big XII, took Baylor to back-to-back bowls, won his last bowl, and won the Heisman but I have to think, "Man....if only we could have found someone that wasn't a loser then we really could have accomplished something!"

And sure he graduated from HS early with honors, nearly made the Olympic track team, won a Big XII track title before enrolling in a single class, and has earned both a BA and a MA from a top-100 institution with honors and early but all of that must pale in comparison to what YOU have accomplished in your life.

You are the most contrary son of a bitch around this place and that is saying a LOT. So keep on bitching about and calling a kid from another school a loser that accomplished more before he was 18 than you likely have in your lifetime. It just makes you look that much more petty, ridiculous, sad, and pathetic. And in those qualities you truly have Griffin beat.

Blue
12/31/2011, 03:38 AM
He's 1-2 against us...that's loser. Let the Baylor fans fawn over him. He caught lightning in a bottle because Texas is down and we were the walking wounded when we played them...and he still needed a miracle finish against us at that.

His NFL career will easily equal the failure of Vince Young. Why anyone on this board worries about what his mama thinks...?

Ridiculous.

He's a loser? Did I hear that right? This man has accomplished more in his short 22 years then you will ever in your life. I don't get fans like you. This guy does everything right and you try and **** on him.

Until you demand excellence from your mediocre existence, STFU when talking about someone who has accomplished more than you ever will. Dooshbag.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/31/2011, 03:51 AM
I didn't see this. I saw a couple of relatively young Senior NCO's with a great pension and full benefits enjoying a football game.Supoib!

12/31/2011, 03:52 AM
He's a good guy. I think we all know that. Now please, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL.

You can quote me on that.

soonerboomer93
12/31/2011, 04:07 AM
So RG III got his under grad and masters degree in 4 years there?

How many years did you spend there again?

12/31/2011, 04:10 AM
I've known some bright people in my life, but this kid takes the cake.

Lott's Bandana
1/1/2012, 11:43 AM
According to CBSSports, RGIII just declared for the NFL Draft.

Happy New Year, Bob.

C&CDean
1/1/2012, 12:00 PM
TDTW is arguably the most ****tarded poster in the history of SF.com. In his current, and former personas.

Griffin is a great player, a good role model, is articulate, intelligent, and has led a POS program who never beat OU to a victory against them. You know, pretty much the antithesis of Vinny Youngderlic? Will this success morph into a successful NFL career? Probably not, but one never knows. Comparing him to Vinny is just plain dumb. Calling him a loser is even worse.

colleyvillesooner
1/1/2012, 12:16 PM
he gone...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7410307/heisman-winner-robert-griffin-iii-baylor-bears-enter-nfl-draft-sources-say

Nice of his dad to spill the beans.

While much of the NFL draft focus has been on Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, sources say Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III will also declare for the 2012 draft before the Jan. 15 underclassman deadline.

Griffin responded to a text from ESPN.com's David Ubben on Sunday and said he has not decided, but Griffin's father, Robert Griffin II, said Saturday night it's a matter of when, not if.

Robert Griffin III's father said the Heisman Trophy winner is 12 credits short of his master's degree but believes he can finish it without returning to school.

"I met with my son (Friday) and his schedule is pretty much he will attend the Sugar Bowl here in New Orleans (where the Griffins live), then next weekend he will meet with five agents and select the right agent to represent him and plan a good pre-draft process," Griffin II said. "After that he will sit down with three of his coaches at Baylor on Wednesday or Thursday (Jan. 11 or 12) and make it official."

Griffin III already has his bachelor's degree -- he graduated in December 2010 with a degree in political science -- and his father said he has considered staying at Baylor to complete his master's.

"He actually has made a strong case to return because he's only 12 hours short of his master's, but he believes he can still accomplish that goal," Griffin II said. "He's still waiting for his official evaluation from the league, but the decision (to turn pro) is not a hard decision."

Baylor beat Washington 67-56 Thursday in the Valero Alamo Bowl to finish the season 10-3.

"He doesn't feel like he's leaving a team that's broken," Griffin II said. "Because the program is in such good shape, he can have a peace of mind."

The Indianapolis Colts have spent significant time evaluating Griffin on tape and in person and have been impressed enough to make the Baylor star their future quarterback without regret of losing out on Luck, should they beat the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday and end up with the No. 2 pick.

"Robert has no preference of teams," Griffin II said. "He will be fine with whoever takes him."

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

SicEmBaylor
11/24/2012, 05:04 AM
lolz

bluedogok
11/24/2012, 12:29 PM
He can't be any good, he played in the Sunbelt equivalent that is the Big 12 and not in the mighty SEC, the only conference that matters to some posters on here :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
11/24/2012, 02:29 PM
He can't be any good, he played in the Sunbelt equivalent that is the Big 12 and not in the mighty SEC, the only conference that matters to some posters on here :rolleyes:
I'm so sick the SEC that I can't tolerate watching any SEC match-ups. I know they have some good games, but I just can't stomach to hear every announcer and football pundit give the SEC a reach around.

colleyvillesooner
11/24/2012, 04:21 PM
I'm sick of a Baylor tool bumping RG3 threads on a sooner board.

SicEmBaylor
11/24/2012, 05:00 PM
I'm sick of a Baylor tool bumping RG3 threads on a sooner board.

Really? How many times have I done that? I think current count is once.

I ran across it last night while searching for something else...found the statement ridiculous with hindsight. Live with it -- cry to your mom...I care not.

colleyvillesooner
11/24/2012, 08:08 PM
Edit: not worth it