PDA

View Full Version : Have some forgotten what good football looks like?

Tear Down This Wall
12/30/2011, 10:31 AM
After reading about the "great" defense and "great" offense by Texas and Baylor, I have to wonder if some people even know what good football looks like anymore. Facing a team with a bad offense does not equal "great" defense. Nor does facing a team with a bad defense equal a "great" offense.

The Texas and Baylor games were horrible. But, they haven't been the only culprits during the bowl season. There is a lot of crappy defensing going on these days. It's like it's an afterthought.

Good football includes good offense and good defense, and good special teams. Back in the day, when there weren't 100 bowl games, teams like Cal and Washington (or, this year, Texas) wouldn't even be in bowl games.

It's awful to watch this crap. I hope Bob Stoops and his coaching staff have pulled their collective heads out of their as*ses and won't give the country a game full of our defensive backs as*ses trying to run down receivers...and, running backs if they're as pitiful as Washington.

Like, gag me with a spoon. For sure. Totally.

kbsooner21
12/30/2011, 10:40 AM
That is what drives me crazy about all these talking heads talking about GREAT SEC defense. Don't get me wrong, there are a few great defenses in the league, but because about 80% of the teams are so inept offensively doesn't mean everyone in the leage plays GREAT defense.

picasso
12/30/2011, 10:43 AM
I long for the days when we had linebackers who made an occasional lateral tackle in the offensive backfield.

delhalew
12/30/2011, 10:47 AM
I long for the days when we had linebackers who made an occasional lateral tackle in the offensive backfield.

It's bizarre to not see that.

I wanna know why Baylor played defense against us, but not even a shred in the Alamo Bowl. I refuse to believe UW is more talented than we are.

KantoSooner
12/30/2011, 11:58 AM
Probably the only thing I liked about Suh at Nebraska was that he had a nasty attitude. It seems most, if not all, defenders these days are on some quest to be nice guys.

Criminy, a Bosworth would make about 300 tackles and opposing teams would crap their pants and run, crying, back the locker room if he was playing these days.

Live up your potential, Boys! Be a Cruel, Vicious, Heartless Bastard, TODAY!

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2011, 12:02 PM
It's bizarre to not see that.

I wanna know why Baylor played defense against us, but not even a shred in the Alamo Bowl. I refuse to believe UW is more talented than we are.

I don't think they did.

Tear Down This Wall
12/30/2011, 01:26 PM
No, they didn't.

Against Baylor, our offense put out 29 first downs and 605 yards of offense - 158 rushing, 447 passing. The offense was definitely not the problem. You put up those numbers and 38 points and your defense should hold enough to win.

The problem against Baylor...and Texas Tech and Oklahoma State...was our defense.

Against Baylor, our defense surrendered 28 first downs, 616 yards of offense - 131 rushing, 485 passing.

We have to have some perspective as OU fans. Bob Stoops is 147-37. The problem is that there is a consistent thread in the majority of losses - poor safety play. And, safety is the position Bob helps coach most.

My other worry is Bob's surprise at the first half offensive playcalling at Oklahoma State. He admitted to being surprised at the heavy ratio of passes to run at halftime.

Well...

...what is he doing on the sideline? Can he not talk to Heupel and Norvell? Is it just Gundy who has those two on in the headset?

Even if that were true, can he not recognize what is happening right before his eyes? He's standing right there on the sideline!

My worry is that Bob has given far too much trust to Heupel and Norvell. I appreciate that he's not overbearing. But, surely he recognizes the pattern of the game plan after maybe one quarter? I hope against all hope he's hearing everything and all offensive decisions aren't going through Gundy conversing with Heupel and Norvell during games.

badger
12/30/2011, 01:35 PM
If you watch college football long enough, you'll be surprised to never see NFL receivers drop the ball.

Do that in reverse and you wonder why the eff the college receivers can't catch :D

sooneredaco
12/30/2011, 01:47 PM
I attribute the sh!tty defensive performances to the woosification of America. Yea, yea I get it... We need to protect against concussions and such. However, the rules in football today are such that they really hamper good defensive play. So that's the main issue at hand IMO. I think we see this across the board in our nation. We have a bunch of pussies today.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2011, 01:51 PM
No, they didn't.

Against Baylor, our offense put out 29 first downs and 605 yards of offense - 158 rushing, 447 passing. The offense was definitely not the problem. You put up those numbers and 38 points and your defense should hold enough to win.

While those stats look good on the surface, I'm not giving the offense a pass either. My point was that Baylor did *not* play any better defense against us than UW and yet UW produced better. I give our offense credit for scoring 2 TDs in the last 5 minutes to earn a tie, but it shouldn't have been needed if they had been consistent the whole game. UW exploited the weak Baylor D with big plays and our offense couldn't do that and relied heavily on the Belldozer to score. And UW is not a good team - offense or defense. Comparing any single game is misleading, but my point is that our team - offense and defense - was not much better than middle of the pack teams in AQ conferences. It started with losing Whaley in the Tech game and slid from there as the injuries mounted and the team lost it's confidence. Blaming either the defense or the offense is simplistic. Either one could have pick-up the other both the TT and Baylor games, but nothing was going to save the OSU game. To realize how for the team slid, I just imagine a rematch with the horns right now. We dominated that game in Oct. and I think a rematch would be a boring, low-scoring display of ineptitude much like the horn/CAL game and I'm not sure we would win.

Tear Down This Wall
12/31/2011, 02:11 AM
To realize how for the team slid, I just imagine a rematch with the horns right now. We dominated that game in Oct. and I think a rematch would be a boring, low-scoring display of ineptitude much like the horn/CAL game and I'm not sure we would win.

Drug are bad, m'kay? We would slaughter Texas again because they suck. They have an offensive coordinator who thinks a good play call for 3rd and 14 is a bubble screen.

We will wipe the field with the ruins of Texas pride for as long as they keep their Mid-Major offensive and defensive coordinators.

I don't care how many injuries we have, no p*ssy Pac-12 school compares to us. Cal-Texas was awful and horrid because they both suck. We wipe either one of them out with or without Whaley the Walk-on and Broyles.

Suck is suck, and we are not "it." When it comes to suck, Texas and Cal have "it."

Peach Fuzz
12/31/2011, 09:19 AM
someone get those damned kids off TDTW's lawn...

I do agree with much of this.

AlboSooner
12/31/2011, 09:26 AM
Lot of derping and herping going on

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2011, 11:49 AM
Drug are bad, m'kay? We would slaughter Texas again because they suck. They have an offensive coordinator who thinks a good play call for 3rd and 14 is a bubble screen.

I stand by the quality of my drugs. We chiseled out a tidy 89 yards of offense against Iowa in the first half and their defense is not nearly as good as the horn defense. When we beat the horns like a rented mule this year, it was because they could not cover our WRs and they could not get the LJ in the short time they had before he released the ball. They handled Whaley pretty well, but he was effective in slowing down the pass rush and he burned them on 1 long run when they made a mistake. If there was a rematch, there would be no Whaley and LJ would be stuck dancing around for too long waiting for WR who can't get open and he either throws it away, gets sacked or worse. Yes, the horn offense sucks and they would do no better against us and that's why I say it would be a boring low-scoring game of ineptitude if we had a rematch. The game would be determined by turnovers and we've been pretty generous with the ball lately.

I'm not saying we suck at all; I'm just saying the team regressed instead of improving and the team that beat the horns would slaughter what we fielded last night in Tempe. Our team was very good to start the year, but thin and extremely dependent on a few players and almost all those guys got hurt. I do understand the coaches and players could have handled it better and not slid as much as they did, but I don't think there was any magic they could have done to win in Stillwater this year. We were just too depleted.

Tear Down This Wall
12/31/2011, 09:36 PM
We will dance on the ashes of Burnt Orange dreams year after year after year until they fire that butthair Harsin and his fraudulent comrade, Diaz.

And, we will love it!

Extend Mack another decade, ya flying dickwheels!