PDA

View Full Version : TE Play

KantoSooner
12/29/2011, 10:12 AM
In my continuing quest for knowledge, I would like to solicit the opinions of the board on why, post Gresham, the TE has basically disappeared from our passing game. Are his successors really stone handed and not to be trusted? Was throwing to Ryan just so damn automatic that why try anything else? Were the OC's trying to drive some doctrinal change? Was line play so bad that we really couldn't spare the extra pass protection? I really don't get it; it worked for us dandy for a while after Stoops arrived then we stopped trying. Why?

rekamrettuB
12/29/2011, 10:16 AM
I'm guessing personnel. OU throws to the TE when one can be trusted to make plays (Smith and Gresh). Seems when those two aren't there the "why throw it to those that can't make plays when we have so many other playmakers" come into play. You don't have to have a superstar at TE but one that can catch about 5 passes a game to keep defenses honest. If you have a superstar at TE that can exploit matchups then you become a really dominant offense.

LVSOONER15
12/29/2011, 10:16 AM
I think it is a little of everything thing you mentioned. Gresham was such a great route runner and had excellent hands. I think Hanna and Trent were too inconsistent.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 10:28 AM
Part of it was the QB too. LJ definitely looked for Broyles more than previous QBs looked at any particular receiver (and we can see what happened with Broyles gone). I noticed that LJ did try to go to Hanna more after he lost Ryan when he was trying to find a go to guy, but some of the throws were forced because Hanna wasn't open and the throws were not that accurate. Then Hanna was labeled as stone-hands here. Gresham was good for about 1 drop per game too, but he always made plenty of great plays as well. And Bradford threw a much more accurate, and catchable ball.

Doged
12/29/2011, 10:39 AM
Hanna has played very well, I think. He isn't Gresham and never will be, but I haven't noticed any large showing of "stone hands" from him, either. On the contrary, he's made some great plays for us. He just isn't as good at getting himself into open space as Gresham was. If we land another great TE talent I'd look for more throws that way in the future. I think the plays are probably still there, just not as usable as they were in the past.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 10:52 AM
We also had a darn good rushing game in both '07 and '08 making play action to the TE much more effective.

IronHorseSooner
12/29/2011, 11:14 AM
If we land another great TE talent I'd look for more throws that way in the future. I think the plays are probably still there, just not as usable as they were in the past.

With McNamara, we might have just found one. Harlow looks to be more of a combo guy, and Green looks to be an Eldridge, throw-back type. I am actually excited about the TE position next year. I believe that Green and McNamara will both be here in the spring. We could go from zero TEs to having the best group in the conference.

Neath a Western Sky
12/29/2011, 11:20 AM
With McNamara, we might have just found one. Harlow looks to be more of a combo guy, and Green looks to be an Eldridge, throw-back type. I am actually excited about the TE position next year. I believe that Green and McNamara will both be here in the spring. We could go from zero TEs to having the best group in the conference.

Yes, Iron Horse, this! Exciting. Beating Bama and others out for Harlow, and USC, Ohio State, and others out for McNamara is a good sign.

NormanPride
12/29/2011, 11:53 AM
I think we had to use the TE as a blocker a lot in running situations, which made them almost useless in play action.

VA Sooner
12/29/2011, 05:36 PM
Hanna has had some highlight reel material... like last year's game against OSU in the fourth quarter with that scoring frenzy to put us on top.

This year, it's been a little frenetic. Watching the game afterwards (in slo-mo and seeing the plays develop and where things went right/wrong) I can see that Hanna was either covered well or the ball thrown poorly more times than he had "stone hands" so not fair to put that on him.

Kanto... I do think we have gone away from using the tight ends more this year... we should see a return to that given the WR issue for the bowl game and hoping to get more throws to Hanna and Ratteree as well as more runs with Millard. May even get to a point during the game where we'll be throwing our hands in the air and saying, "Now why the hell didn't I call that play more during the regular season!"

Then again.. it's all magical thoughts in my head thinking the solution is as easy as that.:chargrined:

OkieThunderLion
12/29/2011, 07:36 PM
Hanna has very inconsistent hands but has turned into a nice player. Actually solid in the run game now.

I think OU has used their TEs (considering what is available) pretty well. Would have liked to see a red-zone guy emerge, like Gresham and Smith in the past, but that didn't happen.

StoopTroup
12/29/2011, 08:35 PM
With McNamara, we might have just found one.

You know...I really hope you are right. I think it might not happen next year though. I think you might see Taylor develop into a better TE than we have had since Gresham but to me....he looks a little lanky and like he doesn't like taking a hard hit. I also think he seems to be OK at Catching the ball but I really don't see much footage of him that shows them throwing up top to him, stretching him out away from the defender. It's almost like his little Brother is picking out his highlight footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3APC3TdN_mY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs6tH005ZzE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIPhWHS4Qw&feature=related

I truly hope he's ready to really take it to the next level.

StoopTroup
12/29/2011, 08:42 PM
I do like his attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4xlmkJhsk&feature=related

Glad he decided to roll with Bob after Zona let him down. I hope we are able to make him a killer. :D

rekamrettuB
12/30/2011, 10:26 AM
Looks like he's 12 years old from the neck up. He better grow a 'stache and get an attitude on the field. Looks like he shies away from hits and blocks. Going to have to get a mean streak in him.

SoonerInFortSmith
12/30/2011, 11:26 AM
The one listed 40 time I found for McNamara was something like 4.83. If this is accurate he never will be a Gresham. That's not to say he won't be good. Just be careful with the expectations.

freshchris05
12/30/2011, 11:52 AM
http://images.wikia.com/breakingbad/images/6/66/Badger.jpg

StoopTroup
12/30/2011, 09:16 PM
The one listed 40 time I found for McNamara was something like 4.83. If this is accurate he never will be a Gresham. That's not to say he won't be good. Just be careful with the expectations.

Like I said...he looks slow on film.