PDA

View Full Version : I Know One Person From Iowa...

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2011, 05:32 AM
She's a good friend from HS, OU Grad, and exceedingly liberal. However, I'm doing my damndest to talk her into caucusing for Ron Paul this Tuesday especially since there isn't a Democratic primary challenge.

soonerhubs
12/29/2011, 08:42 AM
This Okie supports Ron Paul.

badger
12/29/2011, 08:47 AM
She's a good friend from HS, OU Grad, and exceedingly liberal. However, I'm doing my damndest to talk her into caucusing for Ron Paul this Tuesday especially since there isn't a Democratic primary challenge.

Tell her that this is the only way that her vote counts this election... do they have open primaries in Iowa? Don't throw your precious IOWA vote away with Obama, he's gonna win anyway! Vote in the Iowa caucus for the Republican candidates! That election is still actually up for grabs!

(and besides, she can always vote for Obama in the real election)

NormanPride
12/29/2011, 10:51 AM
Tell her that Ron Paul digs tofu. Chicks love that ****.

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2011, 10:53 AM
Don't let RLIMC see this thread. He'll claim there's a widespread conspiracy of democratic voters attempting to influence republican primaries.

badger
12/29/2011, 12:14 PM
Don't let RLIMC see this thread. He'll claim there's a widespread conspiracy of democratic voters attempting to influence republican primaries.

There probably is and I, as a lifelong Republican (with two exceptions) am completely fine with it for a few reasons:

1- Voters tend to vote for the same candidate in the primary as they do in the election if they have the opportunity to.

There was once a conspiracy that McCain voters in early primaries were designed to get rid of George W. Bush so Al Gore could get elected in 2000. Then, many of the McCain voters admitted that if given the chance, they'd vote for him again. Why? I think it was about investing yourself in an alternative candidate, then finding that you liked your alternative. It's how I converted NP to being a Packer fan :D

2- The more voter conspiracy worries, the more people will take voting seriously. Want to cancel out those liberal loonies trying to fix your candidate's election? Then dag nabbit, you get your butt to the polls (or caucus place or whatever they do in corn country), and then, encourage everyone you know to go too, driving them if you have to. People sometimes don't vote because they think their vote doesn't matter. Hearing and thinking that it does encourages people to vote. The more people vote, the more they'll hold elected officials accountable, etc etc.

3- It's funny to hear about. We all know that Howard Dean scream moments are inevitable when candidates are flying around the country endlessly on no sleep and junk food while trying to remember that the third thing that they absolutely must mention in the debate is ENERGY, so little humorous things like this that make elections more bearable.

diverdog
12/29/2011, 03:11 PM

I do not think Ron Paul is electable. The Iowa primaries for the Republicans is made up of the hard core right. He is going to need to win in some big blue states and that is where Romney's political machine will dominate.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2011, 06:48 PM
Tell her that this is the only way that her vote counts this election... do they have open primaries in Iowa? Don't throw your precious IOWA vote away with Obama, he's gonna win anyway! Vote in the Iowa caucus for the Republican candidates! That election is still actually up for grabs!

(and besides, she can always vote for Obama in the real election)

It's not a primary; it's a caucus. The rules are a little different. You have to be registered with the party for the caucus you're attending, BUT you can register on caucus day at the actual caucus.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2011, 06:49 PM
I do not think Ron Paul is electable. The Iowa primaries for the Republicans is made up of the hard core right. He is going to need to win in some big blue states and that is where Romney's political machine will dominate.

I could not possibly care less if he's electable or not. Other people can worry about that.

Sooner5030
12/29/2011, 06:55 PM
F Iowa

I am sick and tired of seeing them in the news when primary season starts.

We need a national primary so I don't have to listen to this election crap for so long

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2011, 07:00 PM
F Iowa

We need a national primary so I don't have to listen to this election crap for so long

You mean a single primary day in which all states participate, right? I wouldn't be opposed to that so long as it wasn't before August of the election year.

MountainOkie
12/29/2011, 07:03 PM
You can talk to her about Paul's anti-war foreign policy stance and his defense of civil liberties. Those are two things that liberals used to stand for.

And she's not going to find another candidate that supports those positions, either Republican or Democrat...unfortunately.

cleller
12/29/2011, 07:49 PM
Unless Ron Paul comes out as gay, with hopefully a bi-racial partner, he will get no favorable press.

MR2-Sooner86
12/29/2011, 09:06 PM
I do not think Obama is electable. The Iowa primaries for the Democrats is made up of the hard core white racist.

Same song, different tune.

The past two presidents have won Iowa, the past four Democrat nominees have won Iowa, and the past three of four Republican nominees have won Iowa.

It sounds like Iowa matters just a little bit.

diverdog
12/30/2011, 12:05 AM
F Iowa

I totally agree. Why do we let the frickin tiny states pick our candidates? It should be a nationwide race.

hawaii 5-0
12/30/2011, 02:32 AM
Still waiting for some Republican candidate, any Republican candidate announce his/her plan for creating jobs and turning the economy around.

5-0

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2011, 09:20 PM
I totally agree. Why do we let the frickin tiny states pick our candidates? It should be a nationwide race.
Again, I hope you're talking about a national primary day in which all states hold their respective primaries on the same day and not some sort of horrible national popular election. The very idea sends chills down my spine.

Iowa is as average a state as you'll ever find. Iowa is a proving ground for Presidential campaigns and a gauge on how their message, their staff, volunteers, etc. will play in the rest of the country.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2011, 01:14 PM
Bunch of Ron Paul folks at the gates to Sun Devil Stadium last night. I guess they were really trying to influence all the Iowa people.

Most of them were just acting like jackwagons. When I tell you I don't want to talk about Ron Paul, leave me the eff alone.

diverdog
12/31/2011, 04:18 PM
Again, I hope you're talking about a national primary day in which all states hold their respective primaries on the same day and not some sort of horrible national popular election. The very idea sends chills down my spine.

Iowa is as average a state as you'll ever find. Iowa is a proving ground for Presidential campaigns and a gauge on how their message, their staff, volunteers, etc. will play in the rest of the country.

Yes I would like to see all primaries on a single day.

soonerhubs
12/31/2011, 09:26 PM
Bunch of Ron Paul folks at the gates to Sun Devil Stadium last night. I guess they were really trying to influence all the Iowa people.

Most of them were just acting like jackwagons. When I tell you I don't want to talk about Ron Paul, leave me the eff alone.

You should have told them that we have a politics forum and that they need to keep that kind of talk out of the Football section. :)

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2011, 10:30 PM
It actually made me wonder what Ron Paul's stance on public funding for universities is. I mean, beyond the "states can do it," whether he thinks states SHOULD do it.

badger
1/1/2012, 11:28 PM
It actually made me wonder what Ron Paul's stance on public funding for universities is. I mean, beyond the "states can do it," whether he thinks states SHOULD do it.

State funding for universities has trickled down to such a low percentage of the overall university budget, so perhaps that's the way they're headed.

Most voters and legislatures seem quite happy to pass the cost of higher ed onto the attendees and their families rather than have the state foot more of the bill.

Most college students and their families seem willing (not happy, but willing) to take an increasing burden of the cost on themselves.