PDA

View Full Version : Dear Bowl Committees:

mdklatt
12/28/2011, 09:44 PM
If your bowl name is nothing but a sponsor that changes from year to year so that your bowl is indistinguishable from about two dozen other bowls, **** you.

If your bowl name has a storied history and you dropped the name altogether (Citrus, Peach, etc.), **** you twice.

"Famous Idaho Potato Bowl"? "Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl"? "Beef 'O Brady Bowl"? Anything ".com" bowl? Ridiculous. **** you.

It's already easier to get into a bowl game than the NBA playoffs, so if you're thinking of starting another bowl, **** you.

Quit scheduling your ****ty bowl featuring 6-6 teams from the MAC and MWC after Jan 1. You're not fooling anybody. **** you.

Nobody wants to play or watch a bowl game in Mobile, Boise, Detroit, or Shreveport. **** you.

OUinFLA
12/28/2011, 09:53 PM
There's always the Toilet Bowl

70sooner
12/28/2011, 10:04 PM
hey, at least the Zoomies and Toledo were entertaining.

this crap would be hard to watch even if I were 3 sheets to the wind....and I'm not.

Blue
12/28/2011, 10:06 PM
I agree with everything except the Mobile part. They put on a good bowl week. I'd say El paso, Birmingham, Toronto, are all worse places. But yeah, they could probably lose it since its always noname vs noname.

Ground_Attack
12/28/2011, 10:07 PM
I think I'm watching the toilet bowl tonight.

sooneredaco
12/28/2011, 10:13 PM
Everything is hard to watch when I'm 3 sheets to the wind. Everything is all
Spinning and stuff

mdklatt
12/28/2011, 10:14 PM
I agree with everything except the Mobile part. They put on a good bowl week. I'd say El paso, Birmingham, Toronto, are all worse places.

Toronto is awesome, but December might not be the best time to visit. Wait, there's a bowl game in Toronto?!

bluedogok
12/28/2011, 10:14 PM
It's football....I'll watch it.

Blue
12/28/2011, 10:25 PM
Toronto is awesome, but December might not be the best time to visit. Wait, there's a bowl game in Toronto?!

Was. The International Bowl. Maybe not anymore but I'll concede, toronto is cool.

virginiasooner
12/29/2011, 02:38 PM
If your bowl name is nothing but a sponsor that changes from year to year so that your bowl is indistinguishable from about two dozen other bowls, **** you.

If your bowl name has a storied history and you dropped the name altogether (Citrus, Peach, etc.), **** you twice.

"Famous Idaho Potato Bowl"? "Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl"? "Beef 'O Brady Bowl"? Anything ".com" bowl? Ridiculous. **** you.

It's already easier to get into a bowl game than the NBA playoffs, so if you're thinking of starting another bowl, **** you.

Quit scheduling your ****ty bowl featuring 6-6 teams from the MAC and MWC after Jan 1. You're not fooling anybody. **** you.

Nobody wants to play or watch a bowl game in Mobile, Boise, Detroit, or Shreveport. **** you.

Ditto to almost everything. Fifteen bowl games is more than enough, and that includes the national championship game, which should go back to rotating amongst the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange. And the national championship game should be played no later than January 4. But the NCAA has sold its soul (or whatever is left of it) to ESPN, who needs programming to fill the time during the holidays.

badger
12/29/2011, 02:45 PM
I've been having fun in vBookie with all of these stupid bowl names. You can see my "commentary" in the bowl betting titles in the sports book forum, heh.

I think it's tomorrow but it might be Saturday, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. I like my title much better: "Coach just got fired" Bowl. It's between Illinois (6-0 start followed by nothing but losses and Zook getting fired) versus UCLA (good enough to be in the Pac 12 championship on a technicality, bad enough to have a losing record yet still bowl-eligible).

Its these games I label "Bowel season" instead of "Bowl season" for their category.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 03:25 PM
I've been having fun in vBookie with all of these stupid bowl names. You can see my "commentary" in the bowl betting titles in the sports book forum, heh.

I think it's tomorrow but it might be Saturday, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. I like my title much better: "Coach just got fired" Bowl. It's between Illinois (6-0 start followed by nothing but losses and Zook getting fired) versus UCLA (good enough to be in the Pac 12 championship on a technicality, bad enough to have a losing record yet still bowl-eligible).

Its these games I label "Bowel season" instead of "Bowl season" for their category.

Once the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl distributes massive amount of Mac and Cheese, it will be renamed the Kraft Fight Obesity Bowl next year.

SoonerTerry
12/29/2011, 03:32 PM
Once the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl distributes massive amount of Mac and Cheese, it will be renamed the Kraft Fight Obesity Bowl next year.

Or the Kraft "Oh Please God help me crap" bowl

rekamrettuB
12/29/2011, 03:40 PM

In defense of these bowls, that's all tv scheduling. So **** you ESPN. Couldn't agree more with everything your post stands for.

Dio
12/29/2011, 04:09 PM
Judging by the coaching vacancies at both schools, it should be the Fight Unemployment Bowl.

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2011, 04:22 PM
Agreed with all the dumb bowl names. I'm waiting for the nabisco cereal bowl!! HEH

Flagstaffsooner
12/29/2011, 05:46 PM
Ahoy texass...

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2011, 06:08 PM
What did the tangerine bowl turn into? Watching the champ sports bowl now. It was the citrus correct?

Where did the term bowl come from anyway?

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2011, 06:55 PM
Renaming the citrus and peach bowls should have been a criminal act.

I'll burn **** and shank a mofo if they drop the Cotton Bowl name. It's bad enough that it isn't played in the Cotton Bowl.

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2011, 07:03 PM
Renaming the citrus and peach bowls should have been a criminal act.

I'll burn **** and shake a mofo if they drop the Cotton Bowl name. It's bad enough that it isn't played in the Cotton Bowl.

Pretty much!!!

MountainOkie
12/29/2011, 07:10 PM
Great thread! I could not agree with you more.

When did all this naming bull start in the first place?

BTW does the field in Norman still memorialize the memory of those who lost their lives defending our nation in WWI or does it memorialize the Gaylord family?

rekamrettuB
12/29/2011, 07:14 PM
What did the tangerine bowl turn into? Watching the champ sports bowl now. It was the citrus correct?

Where did the term bowl come from anyway?

Tang turned into Citrus. Citrus turned into Capital One Citrus and now just Capital One. It's bullpiss.

MountainOkie
12/29/2011, 07:18 PM
Tang turned into Citrus.

Yeah, they thought the "Tang Bowl" was a little too racy for the holidays.

Blue
12/29/2011, 07:21 PM
How abot the Poulan Weedeater Bowl? I miss that classic.

Some old bowl names...Copper bowl, Bluebonnett Bowl, Blockbuster Bowl-One of the first Corporate offenders.

rekamrettuB
12/29/2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah, they thought the "Tang Bowl" was a little too racy for the holidays.

Yep...and I ain't talking about some powdered drink that astronauts enjoyed.

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2011, 07:31 PM
I remember the builders square alamo bowl. Usf&g sugar. Federal express orange. Don't like that there is no peach anymore.

So what was the champs sports before the change?

oklaclarinet
12/29/2011, 08:18 PM
I remember the builders square alamo bowl. Usf&g sugar. Federal express orange. Don't like that there is no peach anymore.

So what was the champs sports before the change?

Champs Sport Bowl began in Miami as the Blockbuster Bowl, then the Carquest Bowl and MicronPC Bowl. Florida Citrus bought the bowl in 2000 and moved it to Orlando, reviving the Tangerine Bowl name for the bowl as the Visit Florida Tangerine Bowl and the Mazda Tangerine Bowl. It has been the Champs Sports Bowl since 2004.

mdklatt
12/29/2011, 09:01 PM
BTW does the field in Norman still memorialize the memory of those who lost their lives defending our nation in WWI or does it memorialize the Gaylord family?

The field itself is Owen Field. The official line is that the stadium is the Gaylord Family (pause) Memorial Stadium, so it does not memorialize dead Gaylords. Heh, "Gaylords".

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2011, 09:19 PM
Hula and Oahu. Popcorn and patriot. Sad to see them go.

Spray
12/30/2011, 12:18 AM
Amen.

This is the "tradition" the college presidents say they are protecting for the fans. They sold us out 20 years ago. College bowls are now exactly what they were when they were conceived- exhibitions meant to be a boon for local economies. That's why every town wants a bowl, and several want two. I think that the real reason we won't see a playoff has nothing to do with ESPN- it's local politicians (or state politicians) and the corporate sponsors in bed with college presidents. Promises from those college presidents to block any move towards a playoff to save their 3 day, local economic stimulus in return for favors/money for their schools. It doesn't take much for a bowl game to be a local success. The Independence Bowl, for example. It looked like there might have been 20,000 people there, but that's enough to make it worth it for a town like Shreveport.

Bowl tradition. Sheesh- no such thing. F*** the college presidents who keep this farce alive.

bluedogok
12/30/2011, 01:15 AM
The college presidents of the schools that have absolutely no chance of making a limited playoff (because a 64 team playoff in football is not feasible) are the ones blocking a playoff because of as right now they stand a chance of making a bowl game and all the "stuff" that comes with it. There are a lot more of the "have nots" then there are the "haves" and they aren't going to give up that chance very easily.

oudivesherpa
12/30/2011, 09:33 PM
I'd like to go back to a Florida bowl, no Big XII teams go to a Florida Bowl, Maybe, in
2013 we can go to the Orange Bowl the second week of January, 2013!