PDA

View Full Version : Gamers take notice

SoonerTerry
12/28/2011, 06:17 PM
I bought the game Rift for the Kid and me over Christmas. Just installed it and found out that it is an online only, pay to play game. So if you don't want to pay up to 15$ per month per player don't waste your money on it. After I installed and found this out I got the box back out and found the fine print on the back of the game box, so its on me this time and I guess I just got a 20$ lesson.

so I hope I can sAve someone the pissed off feeling I have right now.,.

gonna get Skyrim this weekend anyway

badger
12/28/2011, 06:48 PM
I wish I could share a big ol' master list with you of online games that charge monthly fees. The most notorious one is World of Warcraft.

However, for non-techie parents out there that need help, here's stuff you should know going into the online gaming thing:

1- It's not free. Just like you're paying the rest of the vehicle's life for maintenance and gas and such, the final cost of a game is not the price on the box at Gamestop. You need an Internet connection (should be a no-brainer, but I'm picturing parents like my own) and not just a dial-up one, either. You may also need a subscription service (such as Xbox Live for Xbox 360).

2- Everyone has a potty mouth. Just because you bought a rated E for Everyone game does not mean that everyone online is suddenly going to be saying "Well frick me, those darn opponents just got me again. Shoot." Also, if you are an adult and trying an M for Mature game online, do not be shocked by all of the 5-year-olds that you hear online... they also have really foul language in 'em.

3- It eats up a LOT of time. You might think that a five-minute team deathmatch round will take five minutes. You should also factor in the time it takes to log into the network, get the players assembled on a server, the server load time, and then some overtime for trash talking and destroying the surviving loser enemy players. If you are one of those time management freaks, you are not going to appreciate online gaming. The hours just disappear.

4- Monitor everyone that uses your account or prepare for the consequences. See this site right now. (http://whywasibanned.com/) Here you will see tales of delusional mommies and daddies who cannot believe that junior just got their Xbox Live account banned... if for no other reason than the parent spent soooooooo much money! Modding (changing a game to make it easier, aka CHEATING), swearing, trolling (being a jerk to other players) and countless other reasons will render all of the money you spent on the game, and possibly others, gone. And don't bother lawyering up when that happens. Once again, read the linked site. It's hilarious, and it's educational.

5- Did I mention it's not free? Google the word "smurfberries" and you will find silly stories about toddlers that were soooo proud that they found a way to get bushels and wheelbarrows of smurfberries faster than ever... and then, parents iPhone bill shows a new charge of $500. Yes, toddlers. On their parents' iPhones. Hundreds in charges. Yes. In-game add-on content, like additional maps, additional characters, or even stupid things like the background image on your computer or game system, usually are not free. Do NOT, under any circumstances, have your credit card tied to a child's gaming account. Want an example? Click here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354490/Boy-11-racks-1-000-mothers-debit-card-playing-XBox-online.html). Better yet, just look at the article's photo:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/07/article-0-0D12BB8B000005DC-205_468x365.jpg

I am not trying to discourage gaming, but just know that in these harsh economic times, you are going to be milked for every dollar possible in every industry, and gaming is no different. Getting a kid involved probably complicates this stuff further.

Good luck and good gaming!

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2011, 07:31 PM
How could you not know that it's online only/pay-to-play? I'm perplexed.

I built a new gaming PC just to handle Battlefield 3 which I received on Christmas. I think I have somehow already sunk more hours into that game than the total number of hours I've actually owned it.

Crack it is. Crack.

SoonerfaninIA
12/28/2011, 11:08 PM
I wish I could share a big ol' master list with you of online games that charge monthly fees. The most notorious one is World of Warcraft.

However, for non-techie parents out there that need help, here's stuff you should know going into the online gaming thing:

1- It's not free. Just like you're paying the rest of the vehicle's life for maintenance and gas and such, the final cost of a game is not the price on the box at Gamestop. You need an Internet connection (should be a no-brainer, but I'm picturing parents like my own) and not just a dial-up one, either. You may also need a subscription service (such as Xbox Live for Xbox 360).

2- Everyone has a potty mouth. Just because you bought a rated E for Everyone game does not mean that everyone online is suddenly going to be saying "Well frick me, those darn opponents just got me again. Shoot." Also, if you are an adult and trying an M for Mature game online, do not be shocked by all of the 5-year-olds that you hear online... they also have really foul language in 'em.

3- It eats up a LOT of time. You might think that a five-minute team deathmatch round will take five minutes. You should also factor in the time it takes to log into the network, get the players assembled on a server, the server load time, and then some overtime for trash talking and destroying the surviving loser enemy players. If you are one of those time management freaks, you are not going to appreciate online gaming. The hours just disappear.

4- Monitor everyone that uses your account or prepare for the consequences. See this site right now. (http://whywasibanned.com/) Here you will see tales of delusional mommies and daddies who cannot believe that junior just got their Xbox Live account banned... if for no other reason than the parent spent soooooooo much money! Modding (changing a game to make it easier, aka CHEATING), swearing, trolling (being a jerk to other players) and countless other reasons will render all of the money you spent on the game, and possibly others, gone. And don't bother lawyering up when that happens. Once again, read the linked site. It's hilarious, and it's educational.

5- Did I mention it's not free? Google the word "smurfberries" and you will find silly stories about toddlers that were soooo proud that they found a way to get bushels and wheelbarrows of smurfberries faster than ever... and then, parents iPhone bill shows a new charge of $500. Yes, toddlers. On their parents' iPhones. Hundreds in charges. Yes. In-game add-on content, like additional maps, additional characters, or even stupid things like the background image on your computer or game system, usually are not free. Do NOT, under any circumstances, have your credit card tied to a child's gaming account. Want an example? Click here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354490/Boy-11-racks-1-000-mothers-debit-card-playing-XBox-online.html). Better yet, just look at the article's photo:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/07/article-0-0D12BB8B000005DC-205_468x365.jpg

I am not trying to discourage gaming, but just know that in these harsh economic times, you are going to be milked for every dollar possible in every industry, and gaming is no different. Getting a kid involved probably complicates this stuff further.

Good luck and good gaming!

I think gaming is good for your soul. My mom was told she was going to die w/in a week and to get her life in order (she was about 60 then) She found World of Warcraft ..TWINK games..and she is now 65. She holds a title to be the FIRST in world to get for a level 19 (legit) and she is very proud of it. I personally feel her online gaming (pay-to-play) has kept her old heart ticking...

The downside is we were in a pvp-battle and when the score popped-up and said we lost, she did have a minor heart attack at that moment. BUT over all it has been best thing ever for her and for me, since she is still alive and kicking...oh and kicking-arse...she is the first lvl 19 in the WORLD to get the title "The Bloodthirsty" her name is Sidni and she is well respected by all WOW players... LOL...she is 65 and beat all those kids to the title!!

SoonerTerry
12/29/2011, 09:17 AM
How could you not know that it's online only/pay-to-play? I'm perplexed.

I built a new gaming PC just to handle Battlefield 3 which I received on Christmas. I think I have somehow already sunk more hours into that game than the total number of hours I've actually owned it.

Crack it is. Crack.

The game was in a cardboard sleve and the online only text was on the box inside, next to the system req's, and with my new system I don't worry about system requirements (Assasins Creed revelations looks INCREDIBLE) so I missed the online only stuff. The cardboard sleve said notheing about the pay to play.

Thankfully we also got BF3 and Assasins creed revelations, so we have plenty of killin to do untill I pick up Skyrim for both of us.

SoonerTerry
12/29/2011, 09:19 AM
My son got an Ipod touch..

I refuse to apply my credit card to his apple account.

badger
12/29/2011, 10:15 AM
I agree that vidya is good for older people. My grandpa loves his wii. When he heard that there was a flying game (wii sports resort) he immediately got it and tries his hand frequently with the bow and arrow. He's retired air force and state highway patrol so he likes target shooting and virtual flying :)

NormanPride
12/29/2011, 10:45 AM
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Jorge-wants-to-be-hardcore.jpg

SoonerTerry
12/29/2011, 11:05 AM
Thats the funny that keeps on givin!

OUTromBoNado
12/30/2011, 06:44 AM
4 strength, 4 stam leather belt?

Peach Fuzz
12/30/2011, 07:40 AM
This is why you need Steam games.

right now left 4 dead2 and the first are $7 together.

SoonerTerry
12/30/2011, 08:12 AM

I do use steam, great service.

Left for dead wasn't ported to PC very well, keyboard and mouse movement is off.

Midtowner
12/30/2011, 09:11 AM

The best part is, no annoying copyright protection codes to type in and you don't have game packages cluttering up your place. It's a really great service.

SoonerTerry
12/30/2011, 09:43 AM
The best part is, no annoying copyright protection codes to type in and you don't have game packages cluttering up your place. It's a really great service.

And it makes it VERY easy to migrate all your games to a new PC. One email verification and done.