PDA

View Full Version : Travis Lewis and his mouth are back

badger
12/28/2011, 05:22 PM
I missed him :)

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20111228_92_0_PARADI893114)

Cute photo too:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20111228_travis11111222228.jpg

NormanPride
12/28/2011, 05:30 PM
He says all the right things, as usual. As a fan, all I can hope is that it's what he truly believes.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/28/2011, 05:38 PM
From everything I read, sounds like what I heard around the transferring stuff was true.

delhalew
12/28/2011, 05:49 PM
Just as I thought! The guys that transferred were little bitches...lol kidding.

LVSOONER15
12/28/2011, 05:49 PM
I really wonder what exactly Stoops told those few that made them transfer.

badger
12/28/2011, 06:16 PM

Stoops: You will not see the field again until you see Schmiddy every day in the offseason.
https://cscca.org/content/images.members/251.standard.jpg
Player: :eek:
Stoops: EVERY day.
Player:
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/21701000/ngbbs4c79e0ab3f88c.jpg

badger
12/28/2011, 06:31 PM
From everything I read, sounds like what I heard around the transferring stuff was true.

For those of you that are on smartphones or can't see the linked article for whatever reason, very good insight (before the Insight Bowl, lol) via Travis:

He addressed the rash of transfers since the end of OU's season, saying: "I think Coach (Bob) Stoops decided to put his foot down. The guys that weren't contributing, guys that were going by the wayside and trying to get a free ride are no longer here...

"If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed. The players that weren't doing that, so he said, 'OK, it was nice of you being here, I appreciate you, but go do your thing.'"

Neath a Western Sky
12/28/2011, 07:10 PM
This follow-up statement from Stoops just in: "More crimson helmets will roll. We've decided all the arrogant mouthy trash talkers that sport great haircuts, struts, and on-field gestures but can't back up what they say will comprise the next wave of exits. When our team ran through the Pokes' pre-game smoke, then taunted them, that was us talking. When OSU kicked our confused, fumbling, blocked and tackled azzes during the actual game portion of the evening for the next 3 1/2 hours, that was them talking. Oh, and I need to recant my foolish post-game rant about Blake Bell's sensational run not being a 'real touchdown' because it was against '2s and 3s', etc. Turns out I didn't know any more about that play than I did all the passing plays we tried in the first half. Blake scored against OSU 1s while getting great blocking from our own 2s and 3s. Don't know where all these players get their loose cannon mouths from around here."

badger
12/28/2011, 07:14 PM
lol neath... but I'm sure we'd both agree that Stoops is not the one sending Travis to the NFL, but rather, the fact that he's outta eligibility :D

VA Sooner
12/28/2011, 07:28 PM
Good to get some clarification and just in time. T-Lew is back... now go get 'em, Boys!

OkieThunderLion
12/28/2011, 07:44 PM
"Some have multiple issues... Whether it be class attendance, workout absences, drug testing policy.... To be an athlete in good standing here you have to meet certain standards. If they’re not, then some guys need to find somewhere.”

BigDeezy
12/28/2011, 07:52 PM
I find it ironic that the "malcontents" who are transferring or leaving the program are being held as the ones responsible for our dismal showing at the end of the year, yet they rarely, if ever saw the field of play. Now that we are rid of them, it is all fixed. They must have had some terrific power to cause all of those bad plays while not even being in the game at the time.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2011, 08:01 PM
I find it ironic that the "malcontents" who are transferring or leaving the program are being held as the ones responsible for our dismal showing at the end of the year, yet they rarely, if ever saw the field of play. Now that we are rid of them, it is all fixed. They must have had some terrific power to cause all of those bad plays while not even being in the game at the time.

I guess I didn't read responsibility into the transfers anywhere. Did Stoops say that? I agree the timing makes it look like the house cleaning was in response to the team performance, but it could be unrelated. Or it could be related in that the coaches didn't feel the bench players were ready to step up when the injuries hit and Stoops want to make room for better bench players. Again, just speculation.

OkieThunderLion
12/28/2011, 08:06 PM
Link?

PalmettoSooner
12/28/2011, 08:06 PM
"If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed. The players that weren't doing that, so he said, 'OK, it was nice of you being here, I appreciate you, but go do your thing.'"

I love that quote

Neath a Western Sky
12/28/2011, 08:48 PM
lol neath... but I'm sure we'd both agree that Stoops is not the one sending Travis to the NFL, but rather, the fact that he's outta eligibility :D

Yep, Badg, the "next wave" portion was kinda in the spirit of "if the shoe (or foot in the mouth) fits..." :subdued: That said, I'm thankful for Travis's past contributions, but ready to see some other guys get their shot!

picasso
12/28/2011, 08:58 PM
Geez, did you ever think that perhaps the reason they never saw the field was their lack of effort in other areas? Such as...practice?

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2011, 09:00 PM
i guess i didnt get that Lewis was blaming those that left for the dismal season

but you know - in practice and conditioning - you've got players that are working their asses off and those that are just coasting

thats what i thought he was talking about but thats just my interpretation

AlboSooner
12/28/2011, 09:09 PM
Who left and why did they leave?

picasso
12/28/2011, 09:14 PM
Who left and why did they leave?
According to some people on this board, it will be extremely difficult to field a team next season.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2011, 09:20 PM
According to some people on this board, it will be extremely difficult to field a team next season.

I think it will be difficult to field a team as good as this year's team was for the 1st 6 games. But is should certainly be doable to better on the last 6.

85sooners
12/28/2011, 09:20 PM
��

picasso
12/28/2011, 09:21 PM
I think it will be difficult to field a team as good as this year's team was for the 1st 6 games. But is should certainly be doable to better on the last 6.
I agree. We won't be as good next season but we may have a better record.

bluedogok
12/28/2011, 10:19 PM
Geez, did you ever think that perhaps the reason they never saw the field was their lack of effort in other areas? Such as...practice?
Practice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

En_Fuego
12/28/2011, 10:22 PM
Lewis .... Calling the kettle black. I will be glad when he is long gone.

OkieThunderLion
12/28/2011, 11:30 PM

Yeah, that guy who played the whole season on a broken foot, putting his team ahead of himself, even if it destroyed his own draft stock.

He's a real sorry bastard.

SCOUT
12/28/2011, 11:37 PM
I have always thought it would be fun if every straw man argument was met with a consistent response on this board. You know, like "Not what I said" or something like that.

Just a thought that was in no way incited by a previous post.

Crimsontothecore
12/29/2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, that guy who played the whole season on a broken foot, putting his team ahead of himself, even if it destroyed his own draft stock.

Not that I agree with En_Fuego's comment, but it does amaze me that so many people here see Landry as a liability but think Lewis graduating will be a huge loss for the team. The defense gave up an average of 43.3 points in three losses but all people see are Landry's int's. Funny how a solid quiet player gets thrown under the bus while a mouthy one with a stupid hair cut gets a free pass in spite of getting juked, burned, and flat ran over twice as often as Landry threw an int.

OkieThunderLion
12/29/2011, 12:08 AM
Not that I agree with En_Fuego's comment, but it does amaze me that so many people here see Landry as a liability but think Lewis graduating will be a huge loss for the team. The defense gave up an average of 43.3 points in three losses but all people see are Landry's int's. Funny how a solid quiet player gets thrown under the bus while a mouthy one with a stupid hair cut gets a free pass in spite of getting juked, burned, and flat ran over twice as often as Landry threw an int.
Lewis' level of play is immaterial to me, in this discussion.

oudavid1
12/29/2011, 12:08 AM
Talk is cheap and we had a poor defense this year in big spots.

Crimsontothecore
12/29/2011, 12:12 AM
Lewis' level of play is immaterial to me, in this discussion.

Why? is he above criticism?

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 12:13 AM
Travis likes to talk and most folks here like it when we are winning and hate it otherwise. At least Travis is consistent - he always talks. His talk doesn't bother me and that fact it bothers others doesn't bother me either :P

Crimsontothecore
12/29/2011, 12:46 AM
Travis likes to talk and most folks here like it when we are winning and hate it otherwise. At least Travis is consistent - he always talks. His talk doesn't bother me and that fact it bothers others doesn't bother me either :P

Actually he's very inconsistent. He clammed up after the Tech loss and just today started doing interviews again.

En_Fuego
12/29/2011, 12:46 AM

Lewis has been one of main topics of this board for the last 3 years. His attitude (mouth) and performance are the opposite of each other.

En_Fuego
12/29/2011, 12:53 AM

It was a toe. And he was very below average at best. All the Shark love went to his head. Face it, he's not very good to say the least. And he was the best we had. Think about it ?

soonerboy_odanorth
12/29/2011, 01:35 AM
Lewis has been one of main topics of this board for the last 3 years. His attitude (mouth) and performance are the opposite of each other.

I don't know that he has been discussed more than anyone else, other than him being noted as one of our most dependable defenders. Even compared to R. Lewis, with Ronell's academic problems and clashes with coaches, he hasn't been discussed nearly as much.

And if he logs 2 more tackles than Colvin in the bowl game, he will be OU's one and only four-years-in-a-row tackles leader. Factually that would be a well above average career.. especially considering the historical company. So I fail to see how his motor-mouth and performance are opposites. Heck, seems to me sometimes the more he talked the better he played.

What's the deal? He spit on you or something? You seem kinda p***** off at him...

cherokeebrewer
12/29/2011, 08:50 AM
Travis Lewis loves OU and he's given his best as a player. Now maybe his best is not good enough for some 'fans', but your best is all you can give. Thanks Travis!

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 09:50 AM
Actually he's very inconsistent. He clammed up after the Tech loss and just today started doing interviews again.

Maybe to the press, but he seemed to be talking plenty on the field.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 09:53 AM
Travis Lewis loves OU and he's given his best as a player. Now maybe his best is not good enough for some 'fans', but your best is all you can give. Thanks Travis!

This. He was clearly hobbled all season to the point I questioned he should be out there. But that's a coaching decision and not the players. We usually cheer a player playing through an injury and trying to contribute, but not Lewis for some reason.

Sooner in Tampa
12/29/2011, 10:16 AM
Agreed!!!

This year has been tough for everyone...the fans, the coaches, and the players!! We need to win the bowl game and end the year on a high note!!

We ALL have to remember that these are VERY young men playing a GAME...a game we all love. It's tough at times to step back and look at things objectively when dealing with something we are so passionate about...but we have to do it. We have to be fair to all parties involved.

I HATED what Travis did late in the Bedlam game...but, it's a passionate game...so cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

Good Luck to Travis in all of his future endeavors and Thank You for being a Sooner!!!

badger
12/29/2011, 10:19 AM
I'm a travis fan. I love his swagger and he's a fun read when he's quoted.

Losng's part of the game and thankfully, we havent done a lot of that during travis' career.

Kick hawkeye butt tomorrow, travis!

starclassic tama
12/29/2011, 10:21 AM
It was a toe. And he was very below average at best. All the Shark love went to his head. Face it, he's not very good to say the least. And he was the best we had. Think about it ?i know, i mean he has only averaged 110 tackles per year over his career. what a pathetic loser!

SoonerNutt
12/29/2011, 10:26 AM
I agree. We won't be as good next season but we may have a better record.

Interesting concept. IMO, you are as good or bad as your record, and nothing else matters. We have had more athletically talented teams than our 2000 NC team, but they weren't better because they didn't achieve what that unit did. It's all about where you finish, and this team ended up being middle of the pack.

If the work ethic and attitude improve overall, we will be a better team.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 10:39 AM
Interesting concept. IMO, you are as good or bad as your record, and nothing else matters. We have had more athletically talented teams than our 2000 NC team, but they weren't better because they didn't achieve what that unit did. It's all about where you finish, and this team ended up being middle of the pack.

If the work ethic and attitude improve overall, we will be a better team.

It's all just definitions here, but I disagree. A team can easily be better than a team with a better record due to competition. The '72 Dolphins are a "perfect" example. There have been many teams that outclassed that squad, but none could win them all - doesn't make them the best team ever (and I'm counting that "era"). Our '08 team was a very elite squad, but that was an exceptional year with more other elite squads than I can remember.

Having said that, I don't see next year's team being as good as this year *when it was healthy*; as in the first 6 games. For that to happen, we need a bunch of players to step up or some surprises coming in from JC or true freshman. This year's squad was very good, but extremely dependent on some star players and most of those guys are leaving. Alexander, R. Lewis, Flemming, Broyles and potentially Jones. And we'll have to see if Whaley fully recovers in time.

Sooner91ATL
12/29/2011, 10:54 AM
I don't have a problem with Travis, I wish him well and i will be glad to see him go in general just because I prefer understated performers who do their talking on the field. but I don't begrudge Travis his personality or his fun. He is just a kid.

The thing I begrudge is that after 4 years, a senior captain linebacker still takes poor angles and doesn't cross the face of the blocking lineman or back, allowing the ballcarrier to cut off of his poor route to the ball. Happens 2-3 times a game for critical big gainers. This must be something that can't be uncoached somehow. Lewis could have had some of the best LB stats in the history of the NCAA if he could get off blocks cleanly and with the right technique. He's not athletic or fast enough to take a poor angle and still get to the ball at this level. I also think the scheme is a problem when Lewis, broken toe and all, is asked to cover lanky receivers who regularly get 10 yards behind him. Not his fault but a glaring issue nonetheless.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/29/2011, 12:46 PM
1) Lewis could have had some of the best LB stats in the history of the NCAA if he could get off blocks cleanly and with the right technique.

2) He's not athletic or fast enough to take a poor angle and still get to the ball at this level.

3) I also think the scheme is a problem when Lewis, broken toe and all, is asked to cover lanky receivers who regularly get 10 yards behind him.

1) He does have some of the best LB stats in the history of the game. His 440 for career currently puts him 11th all time in NCAA history for FBS. If he gets 4 more in the bowl game he moves to 10th.

2) You couldn't have this more backwards. He reportedly has legit 4.5-4.6 40 speed when healthy. Probably why he has taken bad angles in the past... because his speed and athleticism has still allowed him to make the play and overcome the bad angle. Take away his wheels this year with the broken toe and the result is the bad angles stick out like a sore thumb.

3) Ding ding ding. Glad he was there for the emotional lift against FSU. But he probably shouldn't have been on the field in this scheme that asks the LBs to do so much with him on 1 wheel.

BTW, any of you that think a broken toe is "just a broken toe" and that it shouldn't have affected his play... think again. He broke the thing across the joint. It's excruciating and hurts like hell to run on.. especially the big toe.

Sooner91ATL
12/30/2011, 12:23 AM
1)

2) You couldn't have this more backwards. He reportedly has legit 4.5-4.6 40 speed when healthy. Probably why he has taken bad angles in the past... because his speed and athleticism has still allowed him to make the play and overcome the bad angle. Take away his wheels this year with the broken toe and the result is the bad angles stick out like a sore thumb.

I see what you are saying, but he has run around blocks his whole career. His athleticism has allowed him to excel for the most part, but isolate on him for a series and you will see space vacated that backs usually find when he takes the easy route. I agree, he has been really good even with this sort of football 101 error.

Broken toe is nothing at all to minimize. I just can't believe our scheme still has him covering WR. Even when he is healthy it is too much to ask a man his size to cover those guys.

5noubus
12/30/2011, 09:09 AM
]

Not that I agree with En_Fuego's comment, but it does amaze me that so many people here see Landry as a liability but think Lewis graduating will be a huge loss for the team. The defense gave up an average of 43.3 points in three losses but all people see are Landry's int's. Funny how a solid quiet player gets thrown under the bus while a mouthy one with a stupid hair cut gets a free pass in spite of getting juked, burned, and flat ran over twice as often as Landry threw an int.[/QUOTE]

I think that's part of the issue Landry is quiet. Should the leader of a team be quiet? I think Travis and Landry have total different personalities. Travis "attitude, swagger, mouth"" however you label it . makes it appear that he wants to play, he is upset when he cant or there is a bad series. Landry shows little emotion , he is not animated , pumped up or eager for the game. He doesn't show the passion for football most players at this level do. So I think that is why more people pin a loss on him.

sooneredaco
12/30/2011, 09:19 AM

You're in the minority and should be with a ridiculous comment like that

sooneron
12/30/2011, 10:16 AM
I'm sure that jkm could pull up some screen shots of TL not being anywhere involved in plays, FROM LAST YEAR before the broken toe. Why do I know that? Because he did it last year. The guy takes plays off and when the leader does that, it is not good.

Scott D
12/30/2011, 02:18 PM
I'm sure that jkm could pull up some screen shots of TL not being anywhere involved in plays, FROM LAST YEAR before the broken toe. Why do I know that? Because he did it last year, and the year before, and the year before. The guy takes plays off and when the leader does that, it is not good.

;)

badger
12/30/2011, 03:55 PM
Breaking news . . Tonight at 8, the tv premier of jaws 4 will be on espn. Its that time sooner nation! GAMEDAY!

Have an awesome final game, Travis! :)

badger
12/30/2011, 03:56 PM
And for my beloved husband...

Not saying . . But just saying the mavs are 0 and 2 . . Go spurs go

:D Travis and NP are both from San Antonio

En_Fuego
12/30/2011, 04:01 PM
Breaking news . . Tonight at 8, the tv premier of jaws 4 will be on espn. Its that time sooner nation! GAMEDAY!

We will see Trav.......We will see

En_Fuego
12/30/2011, 04:22 PM
This follow-up statement from Stoops just in: "More crimson helmets will roll. We've decided all the arrogant mouthy trash talkers that sport great haircuts, struts, and on-field gestures but can't back up what they say will comprise the next wave of exits. When our team ran through the Pokes' pre-game smoke, then taunted them, that was us talking. When OSU kicked our confused, fumbling, blocked and tackled azzes during the actual game portion of the evening for the next 3 1/2 hours, that was them talking. Oh, and I need to recant my foolish post-game rant about Blake Bell's sensational run not being a 'real touchdown' because it was against '2s and 3s', etc. Turns out I didn't know any more about that play than I did all the passing plays we tried in the first half. Blake scored against OSU 1s while getting great blocking from our own 2s and 3s. Don't know where all these players get their loose cannon mouths from around here."

Preach on brotha.

Yeppers.....all these scrubs that never saw the field are causing us to lose......Yeah Right