PDA

View Full Version : Kmart and Sears suck

badger
12/28/2011, 12:07 PM
I meant to start a discussion on this yesterday, but I was having too much fun advocating the devil in the Obama forum :D

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=53&articleid=20111227_53_0_NEWYOR749881)

I don't mind Sears, but they have seemed like a hodgepodge store for awhile now, trying to be a mini-Walmart while still impersonating a mall-like clothing store. We have appliances, but we also have name-brand apparel! You can buy four tires here, but you can also buy cheap shoes and boots! We're Sears! WTF is is our target audience?!?!

But oh man Kmart... they suck so badly that I'm surprised they have made it this long. Back in my rural Wisconsin area, there was no Walmart immediately, so we all shopped Kmart... but when the Walmart opened, everyone abandoned that dirty, crappy store that always seemed to have crap thrown everywhere, icky, broken tiles on the floors, and absolutely no sales associates anywhere to help you find anything.

So anyway, not a surprising move in the least that they're closing stores. I don't know how this will impact Oklahoma, but if anyone here has anyone that works at either place, hope all is well and your stores aren't among the closures.

KantoSooner
12/28/2011, 12:14 PM
It's an apocryphal tale. Sears in my youth was a behemoth. A setter of retail business trends. As with most business problems, I think this one can be laid off to extremely bad(and complacent) management.
Mr. Sam done come along and took their lunch money away.

OULenexaman
12/28/2011, 12:19 PM
what else would you expect from Illinois??

Scott D
12/28/2011, 12:25 PM
What you likely don't see in that badger are two major factors.

The current owner of Sears Holdings (a misnomer, K-Mart was the one who purchased Sears, however they kept the Sears name as a way of being more investor friendly due to perception) isn't someone with a background in retail. This individual had success with "saving" one of the major auto parts store chains, and attempted to use the same methodology with both Sears and K-Mart. That strategy backfired on him bigtime as there's a vast difference in how mechanics and diy car guys care how a store looks so long as they have the parts they want when they want them, and Jane Public who does care about how a store appears (in general).

That being said, it's Sears that has been the money pit of the two for the better part of this decade, especially the last few years. To give you an idea of how bad things have gotten, in 2009 Walmart spent 10x the revenue that Sears Holdings earned on updating and building new stores. At this point, the largest problem for Sears Holdings has been that they're attempting to market two store brands to two different markets and that is causing them to spend 3 to 4 times more on advertising than they need to. On a quarter by quarter basis Sears is deeper in the red by a wide margin (retail numbers speaking) than K-Mart is, actually K-Mart is pretty close to breaking even, while Sears' red ink gets bigger and bigger.

What you see right now is the tip of the iceberg so to speak, and I'm in the same boat with a lot of financial analysts that believe that by the mid to late 4th quarter of 2012 Sears will cease to exist as a store entity, and the Craftsman and Kenmore lines will be more prominent in K-Mart stores than they are now. It shouldn't impact Oklahoma very much as there aren't very many K-Mart stores there, however the impact will be felt primarily in the upper midwest. With Sears the impact will be more wide spread, but to be honest, the concept of indoor/mega malls is dying as well, and you're going to see more stand alone/shopping center stores that you've been used to seeing in malls. JcPenneys has led the revolution on that one because they put a retail guy in charge to turn things around there.

badger
12/28/2011, 12:32 PM
To Kmart's benefit, it was really, really cool to see the stories around the holiday season of shoppers, mostly anonymous, coming to stores and paying off layaway tickets for customers that had mostly childrens items on the layaway account (toys and such). There were a lot of stories of families that had fallen on rough times worried that their kids would not get the Christmas they had laid away (layed away?) at Kmart, only to get a call from the store that was like "Um, some secret Santa just paid off your account. Come pick up your stuff!"

I might be mistaken, but I seem to think that Sears was one of the dum dum holdouts on not opening on Thanksgiving night and instead waiting till 5 a.m. Friday. If retail has shown us anything, it's not to let your competition get ahead of you, but rather, to get ahead of the competition. You're opening at 10 p.m.? Well sheeeett, we're opening at 9:30!

Scott D
12/28/2011, 06:23 PM
To Kmart's benefit, it was really, really cool to see the stories around the holiday season of shoppers, mostly anonymous, coming to stores and paying off layaway tickets for customers that had mostly childrens items on the layaway account (toys and such). There were a lot of stories of families that had fallen on rough times worried that their kids would not get the Christmas they had laid away (layed away?) at Kmart, only to get a call from the store that was like "Um, some secret Santa just paid off your account. Come pick up your stuff!"

I might be mistaken, but I seem to think that Sears was one of the dum dum holdouts on not opening on Thanksgiving night and instead waiting till 5 a.m. Friday. If retail has shown us anything, it's not to let your competition get ahead of you, but rather, to get ahead of the competition. You're opening at 10 p.m.? Well sheeeett, we're opening at 9:30!

If Sears did that it wouldn't surprise me. To be honest, the company has given up on Sears mostly, and a majority of these store closings will be Sears or Sears Essentials (rebranded K-Mart locations with all sears products). And good call on the Secret Santa stuff, because of one location in the country screwing up, Walmart ended up with a brief black eye over that.

Then again, if you own two similar businesses and one is losing money at a rate of roughly 10% a quarter, and the other is losing at 4.5% a quarter, it's easier to see if you took the money from the first one and invested it into the second while liquidating the first, the second will actually turn a profit. This people is what will happen to Sears and K-Mart in that order.

Wishboned
12/28/2011, 06:35 PM

Part of me thought that was really cool, and it semi restored some of my lost faith in humanity.

The other part wondered how many people will put their junk on layaway next year in the hopes that someone will pay it off.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/28/2011, 07:09 PM
Sears shot themselves in the foot a long long time ago. When they gave up their direct to consumer strategy (i.e. the catalog) they gave up their unique hold on the market as a retailer that differentiated them. ("Oh... don't see what you are looking for on the floor? Let's see if we carry that... Oh... Here it is... we can have that for you here in the store or delivered to your home by next week.") Had they not, they could have been in a position to transition the paper to teh innerwebs before everyone else came along.

That is... it is the same ol story... they didn't stay relevant.

badger
12/28/2011, 07:12 PM
Part of me thought that was really cool, and it semi restored some of my lost faith in humanity.

The other part wondered how many people will put their junk on layaway next year in the hopes that someone will pay it off.

Like a lottery of sorts, yeah, that thought crossed my mind too... I guess it will depend on the economy. There's always the risk of losing out though... restocking fee, the down payment required, etc.

hawaii 5-0
12/28/2011, 07:24 PM
I shop at Sears, K Mart and Walmart. I'd be sad to lose either Sears or K Mart.

5-0

A Sooner in Texas
12/28/2011, 08:12 PM
If there is a silver lining in this, it's that the Kardashian clothing line also, hopefully, will disappear.

delhalew
12/28/2011, 08:48 PM
I love to buy stuff on the Sears card, and pay it off before interest can kick in. We don't have a Lowes or Home Depot. Sears is it for appliances and such, unless you want to get straight up raped.

Soonerfan88
12/28/2011, 09:23 PM
My old town had incorporated the Sears corner into the local KMart right after the merger as the big Sears had already closed. They basically just sold Kenmore & other appliances in there with the sales staff on commission. A Craftsman aisle was also added to the automotive dept and everyone was happy.

My new place has a decent KMart and then a mini Sears store across the street that sells appliances, electronics, and tools. They are probably getting ready to combine here also as I noticed a For Sale sign recently popped up in front of the Sears location.

KsSooner
12/28/2011, 09:48 PM
I went to a KMart today for the first time in years. Thought it looked like the inside of a Walmart, 25 years ago.

badger
12/29/2011, 04:55 PM
They posted a partial closing list on the Sears corporate site today. So far, none in Oklahoma listed. You can see the current list here. (http://searsholdings.com/about/122711_close.pdf)

Like someone mentioned earlier, it seems to be more Sears than Kmart getting closed.

OULenexaman
12/30/2011, 10:40 AM
No more Sears for Lawrence KS.......what will all the gayhawkers do now??

badger
12/30/2011, 11:48 AM
No more Sears for Lawrence KS.......what will all the gayhawkers do now??

Pay off Turner's contract :D

SanJoaquinSooner
12/30/2011, 12:06 PM
Before there were malls, there were Sears and Wards. Kinda obsolete, like hard-copy catalog shopping.

K-Mart = For those who don't have a ride to Walmart.

KantoSooner
12/30/2011, 12:32 PM
They'll go stay with TG&Y and Gibson's in limbo.

Jacie
12/30/2011, 01:34 PM
Sears was in trouble as far back as the 70's and managed to stave off total collapse then through consolidating stores and going exclusively with locations in malls. Remember the stand alone Sears store at 23rd and Penn? It was one of the closures back then. My then gf made the transfer from that store to the one that had just opened in Quail Springs Mall. In what I considered to be a real horseshizz move on Sears part, not long after, she was let go mere months before reaching 10 years of service and thus getting vested into the company retirement plan. I always wondered if other Sears employees experienced the same fate.

Anyway, they are the last big retailer left at the local mall here and if they go down, they might as close the place.

OULenexaman
12/30/2011, 01:59 PM
They'll go stay with TG&Y and Gibson's in limbo. hey.....CR Anthony's

Tulsa_Fireman
12/30/2011, 02:56 PM
I miss OTASCO.

Jacie
12/30/2011, 04:26 PM
I miss OTASCO.

That is where I bought my .22 rifle, a bargain at $59.

OUmillenium
1/1/2012, 12:32 PM
otasco sold the Blue Max box bike made by Mongoose for under $200. also sold Star wars action figures.

I miss Gibsons and TG&Y. Great toy sections.

FirstandGoal
1/1/2012, 02:15 PM
Right now I'm probably the biggest Sears hater on the planet.

On Dec 18th, my fridge went kaput. The thing is a Samsung and is only a little over 5 years old.

Called several appliance repair places (where the phones were answered by local English speaking people) and was told by more than one person that the only people who would work on a Samsung was Sears.
Well, that news bummed me out a bit because I would have rather paid a family owned business for the repair, but I called the 800 number anyway. After being disconnected twice, put on hold for about 10 minutes, then having an excruciatingly painful 15 minute conversation with someone named "Maria" -- who seemed unable to comprehend the fact that I was a 43 year old woman instead of my 18 year old son -- I got an appointment for 3 days later.

The repair guy comes out, shorts out all of the circuits in my kitchen within 10 minutes, bumbles around for another 90 miinutes, then decides that it is the compressor that has gone out. Then he proceeds to tell me that the part will be expected in on January 4th. So where exactly does this part come from, Pluto, I ask?

He then proceeds to go outside for another 20 minutes, then comes back in and announces that he's pulled some strings and I will be getting my fridge fixed on the 28th (it is now the 21st). Like he's a ****ing hero doing me the biggest ****ing favor on the planet. Well, the part actually comes to my house on the 23rd (hey, guess it didn't come from Pluto after all), but my repair is still scheduled for the 28th. I figure its the week right after Christmas so I don't bitch too much.

So on the 28th, no tech comes to my house (I had an appt between 8am-noon) until after 3pm and that is only because I called and raised holy hell. When the tech FROM TULSA came down (I live in OKC), he proceeded to tell my mother, who was there because I had to go to work, that my work order was nowhere to be found and that he had been called in last-minute. What gets even better is that as soon as the guy takes a look at my fridge, he realizes that not only was the compressor bad, but that the fan motor was also out. Like I needed any further confirmation that the first guy was a complete and total moron.

That part also has to be ordered in, but I was told to call Sears as soon as the part came in and they would come fix it. Well, the part came in early Friday morning, so I called the 800 number again. True to form, I was disconnected, then put on hold for an absurdedly long time, only to speak to yet another non-English speaking woman and had to spend yet another 10-15 minutes trying to explain what was going on. I was told "wednesday" yet again, and after bitching up a storm and demanding to speak to her supervisor -- which she apparently doesn't have permission to give me the name of, I still am without a working fridge and still stuck waiting for somebody to come out on Wednesday to fix the ****ing fridge

**** Sears. I hate every single thing about them right now.

Also, **** Samsung. I ain't ever buying one of their products ever again.

badger
1/1/2012, 11:02 PM
Right now I'm probably the biggest Sears hater on the planet.

On Dec 18th, my fridge went kaput. The thing is a Samsung and is only a little over 5 years old.

Called several appliance repair places (where the phones were answered by local English speaking people) and was told by more than one person that the only people who would work on a Samsung was Sears.
Well, that news bummed me out a bit because I would have rather paid a family owned business for the repair, but I called the 800 number anyway. After being disconnected twice, put on hold for about 10 minutes, then having an excruciatingly painful 15 minute conversation with someone named "Maria" -- who seemed unable to comprehend the fact that I was a 43 year old woman instead of my 18 year old son -- I got an appointment for 3 days later.

The repair guy comes out, shorts out all of the circuits in my kitchen within 10 minutes, bumbles around for another 90 miinutes, then decides that it is the compressor that has gone out. Then he proceeds to tell me that the part will be expected in on January 4th. So where exactly does this part come from, Pluto, I ask?

He then proceeds to go outside for another 20 minutes, then comes back in and announces that he's pulled some strings and I will be getting my fridge fixed on the 28th (it is now the 21st). Like he's a ****ing hero doing me the biggest ****ing favor on the planet. Well, the part actually comes to my house on the 23rd (hey, guess it didn't come from Pluto after all), but my repair is still scheduled for the 28th. I figure its the week right after Christmas so I don't bitch too much.

So on the 28th, no tech comes to my house (I had an appt between 8am-noon) until after 3pm and that is only because I called and raised holy hell. When the tech FROM TULSA came down (I live in OKC), he proceeded to tell my mother, who was there because I had to go to work, that my work order was nowhere to be found and that he had been called in last-minute. What gets even better is that as soon as the guy takes a look at my fridge, he realizes that not only was the compressor bad, but that the fan motor was also out. Like I needed any further confirmation that the first guy was a complete and total moron.

That part also has to be ordered in, but I was told to call Sears as soon as the part came in and they would come fix it. Well, the part came in early Friday morning, so I called the 800 number again. True to form, I was disconnected, then put on hold for an absurdedly long time, only to speak to yet another non-English speaking woman and had to spend yet another 10-15 minutes trying to explain what was going on. I was told "wednesday" yet again, and after bitching up a storm and demanding to speak to her supervisor -- which she apparently doesn't have permission to give me the name of, I still am without a working fridge and still stuck waiting for somebody to come out on Wednesday to fix the ****ing fridge

**** Sears. I hate every single thing about them right now.

Also, **** Samsung. I ain't ever buying one of their products ever again.

Next time stuff like that goes down, record the conversation and post it to youtube. Usually public humiliation is the only way big boxes take action (see Fed Ex high def TV box thrower)

Scott D
1/1/2012, 11:13 PM
usually if you get a good tech, they're willing to give you a local number to call so you can bypass the whole 800 number nonsense.

FirstandGoal
1/1/2012, 11:27 PM
usually if you get a good tech, they're willing to give you a local number to call so you can bypass the whole 800 number nonsense.

No such luck so far. At this point in time, I've just resigned myself to the fact that its going to be Wednesday and I will wait until after they get it fixed before I let them have it with both barrels. Gonna jihad them with phone complaints and emails.