PDA

View Full Version : Quiznos declaring bankruptcy? Really?

badger
12/28/2011, 12:03 PM
Dippin' Dots didn't surprise me, but this kind of does.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=46&articleid=20111228_53_E2_DENVER949911)

Granted, I should have suspected it, because they charge more for their sandwiches than most fast food places charge for meals, and overcharging places, even the good tasting ones, tend to sink when middle classers close their wallets like they have in this economy.

Thoughts?

KantoSooner
12/28/2011, 12:11 PM
Well, fully expecting counter fire, let me draw a distinction here: Dippin' Dots' product sucked monkey turds. Quizno's makes good subs.

still, they appear to have gotten ahead of themselves financially. I hope they can pull out and survive.

Scott D
12/28/2011, 12:28 PM
Quiznos' biggest problem is primarily the locations of their franchisees. A lot of them end up in out of the way spots and fail pretty quickly. The ones that are in visible locations from main streets tend to do better on average.

Breadburner
12/28/2011, 12:36 PM
5 Dollar footlongs kicked there ***.....

badger
12/28/2011, 12:42 PM
Well, fully expecting counter fire, let me draw a distinction here: Dippin' Dots' product sucked monkey turds. Quizno's makes good subs.

still, they appear to have gotten ahead of themselves financially. I hope they can pull out and survive.

It's OK... I only had one flavor that I liked, and a lot of joints didn't carry Rainbow Ice at ballparks and such... ever have the pre-prepped Dippin' Dots instead of the ones an attendant scoops for you and hands you? Those pre-packaged ones REALLY sucked and you never knew you were about to be handed one till they already had your money. Boo.

Quiznos' biggest problem is primarily the locations of their franchisees.

Along with what Kanto said, yeah, they were expanding fast, kind of like that old retailer Steve and Barry's that had cheap cheap CHEAP merchandise with college and other logos that went overboard. S&B's went under from overexpansion. I still suspect it was price point though.

5 Dollar footlongs kicked there ***

When Quizno's starting doing their own less expensive subs, I thought they'd be able to kick Subway's arse right back... but have you ever had one? The bread is like thin-thin and what's inside has to fit that thin-thin bread.

I do like Quizno's over Subway, but Blake Griffin is endorsed by them, so they're not so bad... weeeeelll.. yknow. :D

ouleaf
12/28/2011, 01:07 PM
Tough to compete in the sub-sandwich business against the powerhouse that is Subway. I believe Subway now has more locations that McDonalds even. Subways are also pretty inexpensive to own/operate from a franchising standpoint, which makes them a more attractive business. Subway is just simply a better business model, and now that they have added breakfast to their menu they are going to expand even more.

I'm honestly surprised Jimmy Johns has done as well as they have.

Ton Loc
12/28/2011, 01:17 PM
Quizno's expanded way too quickly. I knew they were in trouble a few years ago when they had flyers in all of their stores to promote franchising opportunities.

Subway serves crap food for crap prices, but for some reason people think its a healthy choice. I hate the fact that Blake is involved with them.

Jimmy Johns is awesome as a chain, but I feel like they aren't going to make it. Still, the best bet for a good sandwich is a local deli or family owned place. For example, Napoleans in MWC is awesome.

Doged
12/28/2011, 01:33 PM
I eat Subway because I like 'em. I could give two craps about "eating healthy".

Quiznos is okay, too...hope they pull it together.

KantoSooner
12/28/2011, 02:17 PM
If you get a chance, try a FireHouse sub. Mucho goodo for a chain store. Wouldn't make it in South Philly, but not bad.

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2011, 02:38 PM
Both Dippin' Dots and Quiznos are delicious.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/28/2011, 02:53 PM
Never tried a Quiznos. The one nearest me is next door to a great taqueria. Talk about an unfortunate location.

royalfan5
12/28/2011, 02:59 PM
Every Sandwich I ever had from them was nasty and overpriced.

yermom
12/28/2011, 03:58 PM
somewhere the guy from Yo-yo's is dancing a jig.

badger
12/28/2011, 04:02 PM

Oh yes, a grave travesty the day Uncle Dave ousted Yo-yos from the Student Union :(

rekamrettuB
12/28/2011, 04:06 PM
I make my own sandwiches at home.

But how could a place with a pepper bar go under:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xZ9QWWkrk

swardboy
12/28/2011, 04:28 PM
When the franchisor isn't franchisee-friendly, bad stuff happens. And that's the truth of this story

ouleaf
12/28/2011, 04:37 PM

Ha

Petro-Sooner
12/28/2011, 05:18 PM
Those commercials were just plain odd!!

delhalew
12/28/2011, 05:22 PM
When the franchisor isn't franchisee-friendly, bad stuff happens. And that's the truth of this story

This is the truth. The one in Duncan gets lots of traffic, but despite the higher quality sandwiches, it's changed ownership multiple times.

Add the five dollar footlong, and the fact that there is a Subway in every travel stop on earth, and Boom...there you go.

NormanPride
12/28/2011, 05:34 PM
They make a better product, but their business model sucked. They were kicking butt early on, but then they changed a bunch of stuff and now they make meh sandwiches. Oh well.

yermom
12/28/2011, 06:02 PM
i went to the one in the Union occasionally when i was at OU, but i'm not about to seek it out. i'll take Goodcents or Jimmy John's if i'm around campus

i went to a Goodcents in Emporia, i think it was, and they had a pretty sweet old-school arcade attached to it. probably stop again the next time i'm going to KU/KSU :D

bluedogok
12/28/2011, 10:43 PM
Yep, lots of lawsuits and defections from franchisees have hurt them.

Condescending Sooner
12/29/2011, 12:12 PM
I got a 6" sub, chips, and a drink there a couple of months ago, and it was almost $10.00. I haven't been back. That is a large part of their problem.

Pricetag
12/29/2011, 12:17 PM
Yep. The food was great, but too expensive.

badger
12/29/2011, 12:43 PM
It's a fast food place that charges sit down food prices. Dollar menus (or budget-prices food) are the norm now for fast food joints. People don't seem to care as much about quality, so long as there's not rats crawling around behind the counter (eewwwwwww!)

swardboy
12/29/2011, 01:42 PM
And those high prices are due to the fact that the franchisor has the franchisee in a noose about where it can get it's ingredients at, and at what price.

Breadburner
12/29/2011, 01:48 PM
I liked Blimpie....!!!

CrimsonKel
12/29/2011, 02:28 PM
Quizno's has been troubled for some time now. I used to eat at Quizno's quite a bit and noticed that many of their stores were closing. They've closed all over the Metro. There was a nice one in Edmond at 33rd and Broadway. It closed. There was a location on the Northwest Expressway and Rockwell (in front of Hobby Lobby). It closed and was replaced by Whichwich. There was a good one at Reno and MacArthur and they always seemed to do really good business at lunchtime. The young couple who ran it was very conscientious. Bam. Closed.

I feel bad for the couple who bought the Quizno's franchise at Memorial & Penn. It doesn't seem like the risk they took is going to pay off for them.

Boomer.....
12/29/2011, 03:02 PM
Mmmmmm...Whichwich!

Eielson
12/29/2011, 03:11 PM
I got a 6" sub, chips, and a drink there a couple of months ago, and it was almost $10.00. I haven't been back. That is a large part of their problem.

That's pretty much the norm when you get chips and a drink...which is why I never get chips and a drink. For what you get, Quiznos is no more expensive than places like Subway, Whichwich, and Pita Pit.

badger
12/29/2011, 03:22 PM
I am kind of surprised... I was expecting the Sears/Kmart thread to get more traffic. Who knew there were tons more thoughts on Quiznos.

I wonder what chain goes under next. My guess? Arby's.

KantoSooner
12/29/2011, 03:45 PM
arby's will undergo a big redo this next year. They've been severed off from their corp master. Actually doing pretty financially in their core biz.

OULenexaman
12/29/2011, 04:42 PM
I miss Roy Rogers.....I thought they had a better roast beef sandwich than Arby's.

StoopTroup
12/29/2011, 06:09 PM
I worked with the guy who's Wife owned and operated the one in Claremore. They worked their asses off to make that Franchise Fee and be loyal to the Franchiser. When the place they had rented was found to have mold and they had to shut down for awhile and clean the place up with zero help from the owner of the building....Quiznos didn't give them any breaks and held them accountable for all the monthly fees they had agreed to. It really hurt them. I felt really bad for them as it's a nightmare for someone who really did what it took to run that operation. When you put your Franchizers in impossible situations and don't give them some time to turn things around, everyone loses.

I understand that Quiznos isn't running a charity but they never ever helped those folks in anyway even though it was apparent they were more than profitable before the Local Inspection found that the structure had problems. They should have found those problems in the original inspection of the Restaurant.

An awful story about some folks who poured their heart and souls into what they believed would someday be a success Story.

kbsooner21
12/29/2011, 06:14 PM
Not a big fan of Quizno's

SoonerStud615
12/29/2011, 06:17 PM
City Bites > Quizno's > Jimmy John's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Subway

bluedogok
12/29/2011, 10:03 PM
I miss Roy Rogers.....I thought they had a better roast beef sandwich than Arby's.
I know of a Roy Roger's in Alexandria, Virginia. The closest to OKC the last time that I checked was Cincinnati.

I worked with the guy who's Wife owned and operated the one in Claremore. They worked their asses off to make that Franchise Fee and be loyal to the Franchiser. When the place they had rented was found to have mold and they had to shut down for awhile and clean the place up with zero help from the owner of the building....Quiznos didn't give them any breaks and held them accountable for all the monthly fees they had agreed to. It really hurt them. I felt really bad for them as it's a nightmare for someone who really did what it took to run that operation. When you put your Franchizers in impossible situations and don't give them some time to turn things around, everyone loses.

I understand that Quiznos isn't running a charity but they never ever helped those folks in anyway even though it was apparent they were more than profitable before the Local Inspection found that the structure had problems. They should have found those problems in the original inspection of the Restaurant.

An awful story about some folks who poured their heart and souls into what they believed would someday be a success Story.
Most of them in Austin have closed up or changed names. There was only one still open that I knew of when I left there in October.

City Bites > Quizno's > Jimmy John's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Subway
I used to agree with you but the last few times that I went to City Bites when I was in town it was far from what it used to be. I guess the brothers aren't paying close attention to it anymore.

Soonerfan88
12/30/2011, 12:46 AM
Had Quizno's today at the airport. I wasn't impressed.

SoonerStud615
12/30/2011, 12:48 AM
I used to agree with you but the last few times that I went to City Bites when I was in town it was far from what it used to be. I guess the brothers aren't paying close attention to it anymore.

Which one(s) did you go to?

bluedogok
12/30/2011, 01:19 AM
Which one(s) did you go to?
39th & MacArthur and NW 68th & May

It just isn't what it used to be and I remember what they were when they opened up on NW 23rd in Bethany. It just seems to have changed quite a bit in the past couple of years, granted living out of town now I don't go as often as I used to but multiple locations, multiple times of average to poor food is a sign to me.

Blue
12/30/2011, 01:24 AM
Firehouse>Blimpie>Jimmy Johns>Jersey Mikes> Subway > Quiznoz. Hence bankruptcy.

Eielson
12/30/2011, 02:45 AM
I can't find a way to rate Subway ahead of Quiznos.

delhalew
12/30/2011, 08:26 AM
That's because they should pay you to eat a Subway sandwich.

badger
12/30/2011, 09:10 AM
Had Quizno's today at the airport. I wasn't impressed.
That was the last time we had Quizno's also. Since it was at the airport, two sandwiches cost about $25-$30, no joke. :(

Scott D
12/30/2011, 02:31 PM
No fast food in an airport should impress you... AT ALL.

badger
12/30/2011, 04:38 PM
Just fyi.... Quizno's actually did not declare bankruptcy but appear to be headed in that direction. They are trying to get loans refinanced or new credit lines or something like that, don't remember the details.

They are in severe money trouble, I'll put it that way