PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops comments from AZ:

soonerboy_odanorth
12/26/2011, 11:50 PM
http://deskofbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/Kevin-Bacon-All-is-well-remain-calm-300x273.jpg

budbarrybob
12/27/2011, 01:01 PM
"what we've got here is a failure to communicate"

badger
12/27/2011, 01:16 PM
And then as years go by, then you have some recruiting classes and you have a couple other years where you're competing for the national championship or winning the Big 12 and sometimes you can get some kids come in and feel entitled. So I go from trying to convince them in 2000 that we do deserve to do this and we are good enough to do it, to a few years later saying: Wait a second, you haven't done anything. Why would you expect to do this, until you've earned it? And so that's what you are fighting. And that's why sometimes it is harder to keep doing it. Now you gotta get -- so now going into this season, though, after so many years and with the number of guys back, we expect it. But it's really convincing them expect to work first. I mean, the work is what gets it done. And you have to have that attitude of something to prove to get it done, to finish it off.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/27/2011, 06:09 PM
From Dave Sittler's Tulsa World article...

In an interview a few seasons ago, Stoops revealed a bit of his thought process when it comes to informing a player that he's no longer welcome in the OU program.

"They are still kids, so sometimes there's a lack of maturity that you put up with early on," he said. "But then there's a certain point that if they are not going to (mature) and get with it, then they're done. Enough is enough.

"You can't run a football team when certain guys don't have to do anything and the other guys do."

....and...

Stoops has said he always tries to follow some succinct advice former coach Lou Holtz offered him the week Stoops took the OU job in December 1998.

"Coach Holtz told me there are three ways to make your program better," Stoops recalled. "You develop what you have, you recruit and you eliminate."

The elimination process is now underway on teams across the country. It's drawn more attention at OU because the numbers are expected to be higher than they've normally been during the Stoops era.

"What some people don't understand," Stoops has said often, "is that some guys don't leave on their own. Some have been told to leave."

I get it. But I questioned before, and I will question again: At what point does "the leadership of a firm hand staying the course through difficult times" become "Nero fiddled while Rome burned"?

We shall see in 2012.

fadada1
12/27/2011, 06:38 PM
"Nero fiddled while Rome burned"?

We shall see in 2012.
Nero was framed. And then he built Conoco Field.

i got nuthin'

badger
12/27/2011, 06:43 PM
I wonder if Stoops gets rid of players the same way he gets rid of assistant coaches?

Stoops: Rhett, you've been promoted to starting quarterback... at Sam Houston State.

:D Ok, maybe not.

cleller
12/27/2011, 07:31 PM
Nero?
I wish they'd stick to using the player's last names.

Memtig14
12/27/2011, 08:22 PM
We shall see in 2012.

When someone is run off ........... it gets your attention.

AlboSooner
12/27/2011, 08:27 PM
We shall see in 2012.

When someone is run off ........... it gets your attention.
Who was run off?

guzziguy
12/27/2011, 10:53 PM
Somebody r-u-n-n-o-f-t?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0Al5QkxDE

47Wins
12/28/2011, 09:26 PM
OSU's Defense Wins Championships!..........drop the "s" it's singular, as in 1

Soonerfan88
12/28/2011, 10:09 PM
In her defense, the siggie is from a lost bet and I'm pretty sure a Poke came up with it. Do you really expect them to drop the delusion of multiple championships? :topsy_turvy:

soonerboy_odanorth
12/29/2011, 12:28 AM
In her defense, the siggie is from a lost bet and I'm pretty sure a Poke came up with it. Do you really expect them to drop the delusion of multiple championships? :topsy_turvy:

It was their second straight Big XII South Division Championship, after all... oh.... wait...

LSUdeek
12/29/2011, 03:21 AM
So it's ok for Bob to run off players. What was that about scholarships again OU_sooners75???

delhalew
12/29/2011, 07:58 AM
Some kids are a cancer in the locker room. Those kids have to go somewhere else. They usually are cocky five stars that have no trouble finding another scolly.

soonerhubs
12/29/2011, 08:27 AM
So it's ok for Bob to run off players. What was that about scholarships again OU_sooners75???

The coach of the team that you apparently support is one who unethically oversigns players, promises them scholarships, and then screws them over with greyshirts. It's not about standards of behavior with your squad (See your QB for the #1 example). Now quit trying to rationalize why your coach has no soul, and go mud stomp Alabama.

SoonerTerry
12/29/2011, 08:56 AM
The coach of the team that you apparently support is one who unethically oversigns players, promises them scholarships, and then screws them over with greyshirts. It's not about standards of behavior with your squad (See your QB for the #1 example). Now quit trying to rationalize why your coach has no soul, and go mud stomp Alabama.

I agree with all of that except the stomp abalama part... I hope the score is 5 to 3 abalama in a 6 hour contest.

soonerhubs
12/29/2011, 09:14 AM
I agree with all of that except the stomp abalama part... I hope the score is 5 to 3 abalama in a 6 hour contest.

:) Fair enough.

SoonerTerry
12/29/2011, 10:12 AM
:) Fair enough.

The prequel was the best sleep I've had in years. :)

soonerboy_odanorth
12/29/2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, because I'm sure everyone here was sleeping October 6, 2001.

sooneredaco
12/29/2011, 01:01 PM
Yes, because I'm sure everyone here was sleeping October 6, 2001.

Ouch! Low blow!

Soonrs
12/29/2011, 06:03 PM
Too bad he doesn't apply the same philosophy to his buddies on the coaching staff.

LVSOONER15
12/29/2011, 06:45 PM
Too bad he doesn't apply the same philosophy to his buddies on the coaching staff.

Hopefully we find out something after the bowl game. Like bringing in his bro.