PDA

View Full Version : Tigers shattered Independence Bowl record, while their mascot . . .

Jacie
12/26/2011, 09:25 PM
. . . shattered the Independence Bowl trophy.

The 31 points Moo scored in the first half were an IB record.

From the Associated Press story on the game:

Missouri's mascot -- Truman the Tiger -- shattered most of the original Independence Bowl trophy before the game started in a pre-game accident.

Good thing they weren't playing for the BCS title. I hear that crystal football is worth about $30k. Here's a story about the accident.

Mon Dec 26 02:29pm EST

Missouri’s mascot just broke the Independence Bowl trophy

By Matt Hinton

As college football hardware goes, the Independence Bowl trophy doesn't do much to draw attention to itself: It's a crystal cup sitting on top of a small pedestal. Fairly standard fare, except for one critical detail — the cup comes off.

That piece of information might have been helpful to the poor, clumsy undergrad who resides inside the costume for Missouri's mascot, Truman the Tiger, who apparently broke the trophy this morning, just a few hours before the Tigers are set to kick off in Shreveport against North Carolina. Missouri's alumni foundation tweeted a picture of the busted trophy this afternoon, along with the "rumor" that Truman was responsible. A photo of the contrite-looking mascot soon followed, along with a little detective work by Harry Plumer, beat writer for the student-run Columbia Missourian:

Confirmed that Truman broke the Independence Bowl Trophy. Tried to pick it up during a photo op, and it took a tumble. Was imported crystal. Asked Truman if he broke the trophy. He nodded. Asked him what happened. Threw his paws in the air, then covered his eyes to mimic sobbing. … Truman seemed as sorry as a college kid in a Tiger suit can seem.

Replacing a busted trophy? A couple thousand bucks. Having a ridiculous college story to tell for the rest of your life? Priceless.

LVSOONER15
12/26/2011, 09:58 PM
Dumb tiger. Glad to see them leave.

Soonerfan88
12/26/2011, 11:13 PM
And that stupid SEC! chant at the end of the game.....

I'm already sick of hearing about it around here. They need to drop to Ole Miss levels so they all shut up.

BoulderSooner79
12/27/2011, 12:23 AM
I consider Mizzou to be a Big12 team for this bowl game (since they won and all ;) )

oudavid1
12/27/2011, 02:17 AM
. . . shattered the Independence Bowl trophy.

The 31 points Moo scored in the first half were an IB record.

From the Associated Press story on the game:

Missouri's mascot -- Truman the Tiger -- shattered most of the original Independence Bowl trophy before the game started in a pre-game accident.

Good thing they weren't playing for the BCS title. I hear that crystal football is worth about $30k. Here's a story about the accident.

Mon Dec 26 02:29pm EST

Missouri’s mascot just broke the Independence Bowl trophy

By Matt Hinton

As college football hardware goes, the Independence Bowl trophy doesn't do much to draw attention to itself: It's a crystal cup sitting on top of a small pedestal. Fairly standard fare, except for one critical detail — the cup comes off.

That piece of information might have been helpful to the poor, clumsy undergrad who resides inside the costume for Missouri's mascot, Truman the Tiger, who apparently broke the trophy this morning, just a few hours before the Tigers are set to kick off in Shreveport against North Carolina. Missouri's alumni foundation tweeted a picture of the busted trophy this afternoon, along with the "rumor" that Truman was responsible. A photo of the contrite-looking mascot soon followed, along with a little detective work by Harry Plumer, beat writer for the student-run Columbia Missourian:

Confirmed that Truman broke the Independence Bowl Trophy. Tried to pick it up during a photo op, and it took a tumble. Was imported crystal. Asked Truman if he broke the trophy. He nodded. Asked him what happened. Threw his paws in the air, then covered his eyes to mimic sobbing. … Truman seemed as sorry as a college kid in a Tiger suit can seem.

Replacing a busted trophy? A couple thousand bucks. Having a ridiculous college story to tell for the rest of your life? Priceless.

I was waiting for a great line. That is a great line.

stoopified
12/27/2011, 08:22 AM
What can you expect from a tiger in a china closet?

budbarrybob
12/27/2011, 12:46 PM
I ROR.

JiminyChristmas
12/27/2011, 01:01 PM
And that stupid SEC! chant at the end of the game.....

I'm already sick of hearing about it around here. They need to drop to Ole Miss levels so they all shut up.

If OU had done the right thing and moved to the SEC, I promise you there would have been the same chant going on at the Insight Bowl this year...

OUmillenium
12/28/2011, 09:49 AM
Mizzou and TexA&M will get punished in the SEC next year. Interesting to see how their baseball and basketball will do.