PDA

View Full Version : Little brother gots em a new quarterback . . .

Jacie
12/26/2011, 04:33 PM
. . . but he won't be eligible till 2013, which means that whole dynasty thing that will lend the Gundy era the mark of legitimacy those crazy O-state fans crave more than next year's spring lambs is still up in the air as to whether or not it happens.

Former Arizona Wildcats quarterback Daxx Garman transfering to Oklahoma State

by Ryan Finley - Dec. 23, 2011
Arizona Daily Star

While looking for a new football program, Daxx Garman consulted a map and the Bowl Championship Series rankings and found a perfect fit.

The former Arizona Wildcats quarterback is transfering to Oklahoma State, he said Thursday, and will enroll there early next month. Garman must sit out the 2012 season because of NCAA rules but will be eligible to compete as a sophomore in 2013. He redshirted at the UA this fall.

Garman, an Oklahoma native who played at high schools in Choctaw and Jones before moving to Texas, called the surging OSU program "a good spot for me." Cowboys coaches recruited him out of high school.

"I'm getting the opportunity to move closer to home," he said. "My family can be more involved in the situation, and I felt like it's a better opportunity for me. Oklahoma State, they have a great football environment. The fans are great people there, and they support the Oklahoma State football program completely. I'm very excited to be a part of that."

Garman's decision to transfer had more to do with moving closer to his parents, who live in the Dallas suburb of Southlake, than the changing offensive scheme at the UA.

Garman asked for, and was granted, a scholarship release before the Wildcats hired spread-option pioneer Rich Rodriguez on Nov. 21. The quarterback met with Rodriguez as a courtesy before moving. He leaves in good academic standing.

"We agreed on everything," Garman said, "and everything was left in good terms."

At Oklahoma State, the 18-year-old Garman will try to revive a career that's been derailed by legal wrangling and redshirting. He starred at Jones High School in 2009, completing 134 of 210 passes for 2,107 yards and 23 touchdowns. Garman transferred to Southlake Carroll High School for his senior season but was prohibited from playing football because of residency issues. Texas high school rules prohibit players from transferring specifically because of sports.

Garman enrolled at the UA in January, bypassing his final semester of high school. He served as the UA's third-string quarterback, behind Nick Foles and Bryson Beirne, as a true freshman.

Oklahoma State (11-1) is enjoying the best season in program history. The third-ranked Cowboys narrowly missed qualifying for the BCS National Championship Game and will instead face Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl.

Garman has a standing offer to attend the game but may just pass.

"I might stay home and spend time with my family," he said. "I haven't seen them since May."

Flagstaffsooner
12/26/2011, 06:20 PM
Word out of of Tucson is that they are glad that he is adios.

stoopified
12/26/2011, 06:28 PM
Can he play baseball if this football thing falls apart? :)

picasso
12/26/2011, 06:31 PM
Too young.

badger
12/26/2011, 06:47 PM
Typical... a new coach comes in and players try to get out as they suddenly find themselves buried on the depth chart in favor of new recruits for a new system.

Not till 2013 though, so it'll be interesting to see who they find to replace Old Man Weeden.

Jacie
12/26/2011, 06:59 PM
It isn't like he brings experience with him. He hasn't played since his junior year in highschool so after sitting out 2012, it will be three years since he has taken a snap in an actual game.

It makes me wonder what it was Mike Stoops saw in him in the first place. How much credence can one put into stats garnered in at most two years of highschool football? Is he some kind of monster physical specimen? Does he have Teddy Lehman speed? A rifle for an arm? What?

mdklatt
12/26/2011, 11:20 PM
Wasn't Daxx Garman Luke Skywalker's tail gunner during the Hoth battle in Empire Strikes Back?

budbarrybob
12/27/2011, 01:00 PM
Makes you wonder how much trouble he'll be causing Lil Bro when he doesn't start in 2013.

Jacie
12/27/2011, 01:29 PM
Wasn't Daxx Garman Luke Skywalker's tail gunner during the Hoth battle in Empire Strikes Back?

Dak Ralter was the doomed tailgunner, mortally wounded then crushed under an AT-AT . . .

Pricetag
12/27/2011, 01:37 PM
Didn't he play Frito in Idiocracy?

sZHCVyllnck