PDA

View Full Version : Well...the Rams might get first pick after all

SoonerLaw09
12/23/2011, 11:59 AM
Colts won last night. Now they are tied with St. Louis and Minnesota for worst record. If I were Spags I'd warm up the trade engine, there are a lot of folks who would be willing to pay out the wazoo for Andrew Luck. If the Rams can trade *down* and still get Blackmon they could really clean up.

rekamrettuB
12/23/2011, 12:20 PM
With the salary and bonus stuff worked out now, we should see more trades for high picks I think. What teams would be willing to do something like that? Would have to be someone in need of a QB and that's the only piece missing. Minnesota fits that bill but hell they may tank and not need to trade up getting the 1 pick automatically. Seattle but would they want to do something like that in the same division. I think Petey would. Oakland, even with Palmer who's old, KC, possibly the Dolphins. Henne's ok but they could be so much better. Problem with trading this 1st pick you have basically a 3 year window and it better work out because you probably aren't drafting anyone for 3 years.

badger
12/23/2011, 12:40 PM
They need to protect their Sammie investment. Trade the pick for more picks to get more o-line guys (or for some o-linemen, either way).

They do need receiver help, yes, but gems can be found in lower first round picks and later rounds (Ryan Broyles to Sammie 4 teh wins!!!!!!!)

Now, if they could just con-vince the Vikings to part with Adrian Peterson for the first-overall pick... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

soonerboy_odanorth
12/23/2011, 01:10 PM
Heh. How p*ssed would you be if they not only got the first pick, but did not trade down, and took Andrew Luck?

soonerboy_odanorth
12/23/2011, 01:13 PM
Actually I think the Vikes and Rams are after the same guy: Matt Kalil. Rams and Vikes both need a #1 receiving threat, to be sure, but they also both need to protect good young quarterbacks and block for their star running backs.

badger
12/23/2011, 01:13 PM
Heh. How p*ssed would you be if they not only got the first pick, but did not trade down, and took Andrew Luck?

Does not compute... $50 million guaranteed... awesome starting quarterback... only drafted two years ago... only sidetracked from greatness (i.e. rookie of the year season) by injury due to lack of protection... error...error...

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/aba0956l.jpg

soonerboy_odanorth
12/23/2011, 01:21 PM
Does not compute... $50 million guaranteed...

Let me help you with three little words as to why it does compute:

Rookie.

Salary.

Cap.

Aaaaaaaghhhhh... I just made my own head explode.

You're right. Impossible. Right?... right?....

Widescreen
12/23/2011, 01:25 PM
If someone else (read: someone better) would be willing to pony up for Sam's salary, that would be great.

badger
12/23/2011, 01:27 PM

Rookie.

Salary.

Cap.

Sammie predated the rookie salary cap. Thus, when I say that $50 million is guaranteed, I don't mean they can cut him and not pay... they are paying him whether he is starting, or injured, or Luck is in.

Thus... I don't see the Rams going a different direction. They have too much guaranteed money invested in Sam being their quarterback.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/23/2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, he did predate the rookie salary cap. Luck does not. Therefore... Rams dump salary for whatever players/picks they can get in exchange for Sam, and start over with Luck.

All it would take is someone like Jacksonville (*shudder*) willing to pony up the same guaranteed money to Sam.

I try never to say never. And if it did in this case... it would have to come from Planet Cuckoo in the Straightjacket Galaxy.

Aries
12/23/2011, 01:40 PM

Rookie.

Salary.

Cap.

If they trade or cut Sam, they still take a cap hit. I don't think they can afford to do that.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/23/2011, 02:09 PM
If they trade or cut Sam, they still take a cap hit. I don't think they can afford to do that.

Hey! Your board handle is "Aries", and we are talking about "Rams". Coninkydink? I think not!

SoonerLaw09
12/23/2011, 02:14 PM
They need to protect their Sammie investment. Trade the pick for more picks to get more o-line guys (or for some o-linemen, either way).

They do need receiver help, yes, but gems can be found in lower first round picks and later rounds (Ryan Broyles to Sammie 4 teh wins!!!!!!!)

Much as I'd love to see that, I'm not holding my breath. I'm still not convinced that Broyles will be able to hack it in teh Neffel. Hope he proves me wrong.

badger
12/23/2011, 02:21 PM
Much as I'd love to see that, I'm not holding my breath. I'm still not convinced that Broyles will be able to hack it in teh Neffel. Hope he proves me wrong.

Sammie needs someone he can trust will catch his passes and I think Ryan is one of those types of guys because he's worked with him before. Before injuries got the best of him, the same could be said about Mark Clayton, who spent many a'offseason working out at OU, and likely worked with Sammie.

oumartin
12/23/2011, 02:26 PM
i hope the do trade Sam. Gets thing for him. They will see Luck is no better

badger
12/23/2011, 02:28 PM

I hope the Vikings trade Adrian. That's a dying franchise about to move anyway.

Aries
12/23/2011, 02:32 PM
Hey! Your board handle is "Aries", and we are talking about "Rams". Coninkydink? I think not!

Very perceptive! No, it's not.... The Rams and Sooners have always been my favorite teams. I started using Aries when I admined a Rams message board 10-11 years ago.

Taxman71
12/23/2011, 02:40 PM
Any way Sam gets on a better team or matched up with AD would be a welcome sight.

badger
12/23/2011, 02:47 PM
Any way Sam gets on a better team or matched up with AD would be a welcome sight.

Let's work out a dealio where we get the skins' entire offensive line. It's cluttered with Sooner talent :)

Scott D
12/23/2011, 02:49 PM
btw, Sam's already gotten most of his guaranteed money. But odds are still that the Rams would parlay a #1 pick into multiple picks to fill many of their gaping holes on the roster.

badger
12/23/2011, 02:53 PM
Who's their final opponent? They have to lose that game in order to have a shot at the #1 pick.

(and yes, the irony of losing in order to win is not lost on this badger)

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2011, 04:01 PM

Luck would be better at staying healthy by running for his life :)

SoonerLaw09
12/23/2011, 04:15 PM
Top notch idea. Let's move teh Vikes to LA (it worked for the Lakers many moons ago). Then Sam can get traded to them, and voila! A Neffel team every Sooner can cheer for!

badger
12/23/2011, 04:20 PM
Top notch idea. Let's move teh Vikes to LA (it worked for the Lakers many moons ago). Then Sam can get traded to them, and voila! A Neffel team every Sooner can cheer for!

Think they could work out a Bo Jackson-like deal where Blake Griffin can play for em during the Clippers' offseason?

They could all get endorsement deals together with their silly senses of humor since they're all fairly quiet, shy guys, but extremely likable at the same time.

I think they all have Nike endorsements already, so all they need now is an army of KIAs on defense for Blake to jump over, Sam to pass over and Adrian to outrun... and then some Subway sandwiches to eat afterward. Nom nom nom

SoonerLaw09
12/23/2011, 04:31 PM
Only thing about the KIA idea is, they'd have to include the hamsters. It's the only non- lame car ad series out there.

badger
12/23/2011, 04:34 PM
Only thing about the KIA idea is, they'd have to include the hamsters. It's the only non- lame car ad series out there.

Hamsters are lame. I much prefer the Blake ads:

AMy6g26qiaY

n-AxWRVqE1E

SoonerLaw09
12/23/2011, 04:36 PM
Oh, disagree heartily. The hamster ads are the only time both my son and me will drop what we're doing to watch a commercial together.

hawaii 5-0
12/23/2011, 05:25 PM
The Rams could get some good help for Sam with a trade bait 1st pick.

5-0

stoopified
12/27/2011, 08:36 AM
The Rams could get some good help for Sam with a trade bait 1st pick.

5-0They need at least 2 OL,a stud WR and a couple of top-notch DBs.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/27/2011, 10:22 AM
Who's their final opponent? They have to lose that game in order to have a shot at the #1 pick.

(and yes, the irony of losing in order to win is not lost on this badger)

They play the 49ers. 49ers need to win to clinch first round bye. I don't think they'll have any problem doing their part to get the #1 pick. And judging from their performance against the Steelers, it looks like most of the team is already polishing their golf games.

Scott D
12/27/2011, 10:49 AM
Let's be fair, how Kellen Clemens has a NFL gig is a mystery to everyone not named Caleb Haney.

OkieThunderLion
12/27/2011, 08:30 PM
They need at least 2 OL,a stud WR and a couple of top-notch DBs.

They could probably pull four starters by trading that #1 pick (if they get it).

cccasooner2
12/27/2011, 08:53 PM
The Rams suck, it's the price they paid when Georgina murdered her husband.

Soonermagik
12/28/2011, 09:40 AM
I hope the Vikings trade Adrian. That's a dying franchise about to move anyway.

He signed a huge contract and now has a knee injury.. he's not leaving. I think the Vikings have to grab Luck, even if that means trading up. The Vikings have a lot of talent i.e. Jared Allen, Peterson, Harvin etc.. They really need to grab some young DT's and OL guys along with Luck and they will be back in the hunt.

Scott D
12/28/2011, 09:41 AM
He signed a huge contract and now has a knee injury.. he's not leaving. I think the Vikings have to grab Luck, even if that means trading up. The Vikings have a lot of talent i.e. Jared Allen, Peterson, Harvin etc.. They really need to grab some young DT's and OL guys along with Luck and they will be back in the hunt.

Even with their investment in Ponder?

rekamrettuB
12/28/2011, 09:45 AM
Probably be part of the trade. Ponder showed some signs that he could be a good one.

Scott D
12/28/2011, 09:48 AM
Probably be part of the trade. Ponder showed some signs that he could be a good one.

I can't see them moving up from 3 to get Luck and trading Ponder & Peterson to gather a bunch of other picks. That's not going to sell them tickets in Minneapolis or Los Angeles.

rekamrettuB
12/28/2011, 10:38 AM
I can't see them moving up from 3 to get Luck and trading Ponder & Peterson to gather a bunch of other picks. That's not going to sell them tickets in Minneapolis or Los Angeles.

Whoa...sorry didn't see the guy up there said trade AD. They won't do that for sure. I could see Ponder and a few picks going to the Colts. You would then get Manning to mentor Ponder and a lot of ammunition to build on in the future.

Scott D
12/28/2011, 11:34 AM
Whoa...sorry didn't see the guy up there said trade AD. They won't do that for sure. I could see Ponder and a few picks going to the Colts. You would then get Manning to mentor Ponder and a lot of ammunition to build on in the future.

Problem with that scenario is what kind of message does that send to Luck. Are they to believe that the franchise is fully behind them, or that it's a franchise that will ditch him after a year or two for the newest QB flavor of the month. If there's one problem the Vikings have had, it's been stability at the QB position since *gulp* the Daunte Culpepper to Carter & Moss days. There isn't any signs of things going bad between Ponder and the Vikings at this point to risk trading him away. If they don't use the #3 to strengthen their roster, then they'd be better served trading down to pick up additional second to fourth round picks.

If logic like that came into play with most teams, the Cowboys would have traded Romo away years ago for a QB with a real set of testicles and not plastic ones.

SoonerorLater
12/28/2011, 03:51 PM
Colts have to win and Rams have to lose for St Louis to get the first pick. There is no way the Colts are going are going to win against Jacksonville. I hesitate to say the fix is in but they will find some way to lose.

rekamrettuB
12/28/2011, 03:58 PM
Problem with that scenario is what kind of message does that send to Luck. Are they to believe that the franchise is fully behind them, or that it's a franchise that will ditch him after a year or two for the newest QB flavor of the month. If there's one problem the Vikings have had, it's been stability at the QB position since *gulp* the Daunte Culpepper to Carter & Moss days. There isn't any signs of things going bad between Ponder and the Vikings at this point to risk trading him away. If they don't use the #3 to strengthen their roster, then they'd be better served trading down to pick up additional second to fourth round picks.

If logic like that came into play with most teams, the Cowboys would have traded Romo away years ago for a QB with a real set of testicles and not plastic ones.
True. Could be like playing QB for Spurrier. I just miss the days of the blockbuster deals with the #1 pick. I hope this capped rookie salary brings that back a bit.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/28/2011, 04:07 PM
Allow me a sidebar...

My kids are my in-home NFL encyclopedia... they say the CBA bars trading injured players. So if they are right, AD is stuck. I'm a Vikes fan, but I wish they could (and would) trade AD so he can spend his prime years behind a decent O-line... and the Vikes could get back to rebuilding.

The Vikes have so much work to do, it is ridiculous. The entire OL needs to be rebuilt minus Sullivan at center (sorry... Loadholt has been a bust; Hutchinson is now old and can't stay healthy.) Ponder looks ok now, and has some really impressive streaks, but it is impossible to tell if he really is the guy behind that line. One really good slot receiver-Harvin...and nothing else for wideouts. Kyle Rudolph appears to be the future at TE, but Shianco is starting to show his age and Kleinsausser is retiring. So no depth... need another TE.

Then there is the defense. Ugh. Kevin Williams it turns out is average without the 'roids and a dominant run stuffer beside him. Jared Allen at DE and Greenway at LB are about it for D now. Winfield finally looks old (and can't stay healthy), Cedric Griffin is done, and no other DBs to speak of. EJ Henderson looks done (though may not be able to tell until next year because of the significance of his injury last year), no other LBs. Brian Robison is serviceable, but only for added depth at DE in the rotation. He shouldn't be a starter, but has been given starts because the Vikes don't have anyone else.

Heck, even on special teams, Ryan Longwell still looks "ageless", but who knows how much longer that is going to last.

In short... one... big... mess....

And Leslie Frazer = :drownedkitten:

And my other favorite NFL team is Dallas.... which looked like they had promise right up until Demarco went down. Ugh.

Can this football season please be over. How many days to the Twins opener?

SoonerAtKU
12/28/2011, 04:51 PM
On a positive note, you still have the smartest and most entertaining punter in football. So there's that.

Soonermagik
12/28/2011, 05:47 PM

Honestly, I hated that pick. I wasn't impressed with Ponder at FSU and I sure wasn't impressed with him as a pro. I think you have to count your losses and move on. A player like Luck comes only every few years. Luck is like a Suh player... he's a can't miss and they need a QB bad.

Scott D
12/28/2011, 06:17 PM
If Schefter is to be believed, and the Rams get the #1 pick, it potentially can be worth 3 1st rounders and 2 second rounders. That's definitely enough for the Rams to put a dent in their woes. It seems pretty set that the Colts would keep the pick and draft Luck, and it's 50/50 right now as to whether or not they'll retain Peyton, and expect to hear more speculation as the draft comes forward, unfortunately mainly because ole Rex Ryan opened his mouth and inserted his foot again this week in regards to Manning & Sanchez.

Magik, it makes no sense to move up from 3 to 1. Whether you liked their selection of Ponder or not the kid is going to get 2-3 years to see if he is in fact the guy, and they're better served using their picks to bolster that swiss cheese line that they have, and bolstering their WR corps with mid round picks.

EatLeadCommie
12/28/2011, 08:33 PM
we don't even know that Luck will be the top pick. So much of that is ESPN hype. Kid is good, no doubt. Has field smarts, vision, mobility, etc... His arm is pretty average though from what I can see. Guess we'll see come combine time.

Eielson
12/29/2011, 12:56 AM
If Schefter is to be believed, and the Rams get the #1 pick, it potentially can be worth 3 1st rounders and 2 second rounders.

This would make Andrew Luck my new favorite player.

Eielson
12/29/2011, 12:57 AM
we don't even know that Luck will be the top pick. So much of that is ESPN hype. Kid is good, no doubt. Has field smarts, vision, mobility, etc... His arm is pretty average though from what I can see. Guess we'll see come combine time.

We've known Luck was the first pick for over a year now, and it wasn't because of ESPN.

Eielson
12/29/2011, 02:10 AM
I wish this whole thing was never brought up. Now I'm freaking out with excitement that will all be crushed when the Colts purposefully lose. I'm drooling over the trade scenarios with these picks. The Colts would be stupid to allow themselves to win (and stupid to not trade it as well). It's a shame that I will be disappointed when we end up with Kalil or Blackmon---two guys that could do amazing things for our offense.

Just imagine the possiblities of trading down to Cleveland. They could trade down and STILL get Blackmon along with another first rounder or two along with a couple second rounders.

...but this won't happen.

IHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEIHATEYOUIHATEYOU

starclassic tama
12/29/2011, 10:31 AM
we don't even know that Luck will be the top pick. So much of that is ESPN hype. Kid is good, no doubt. Has field smarts, vision, mobility, etc... His arm is pretty average though from what I can see. Guess we'll see come combine time.arm is definitely not average. i remember that play he had a year or two ago, can't even remember who it was against but he was under pursuit and fires a pass falling down that was a laser. he has a big time arm and he is a big time player, just doesn't have a whole lot of talent around him right now which is why he isn't wowing everyone like matt leinart did at USC

badger
12/29/2011, 12:46 PM
I don't see the Colts purposefully tanking. A lot of players are being given opportunities that they wouldn't have otherwise to play in this league (instead of be on the bench, on practice squads, or an unending period of free agency with no teams calling) and they've already won two games straight. If the Colts were trying to tank, why didn't they just lose one of their past two games and have the 1-spot sewn up?

I definitely see the Rams losing though, even if the players don't fall over in unison as the opponent waltzes into the endzone (way to be infamous, Gators).

Eielson
12/29/2011, 02:59 PM
Colts vs. Jaguars has the potential to be the most hilariously awful game ever. I can see it now...Jags putting 11 DB on the field to catch Orlovsky before he can run it all the way back for a safety

Eielson
12/29/2011, 03:07 PM
If the Colts were trying to tank, why didn't they just lose one of their past two games and have the 1-spot sewn up?

I think any franchise would much rather be 3-13 (or even 2-14 or 1-15 for that matter) than 0-16. If the Rams had managed to pull out a win over the last two weeks, the Colts could've been able to go out on a 3 game winning streak while still winning "Suck for Luck." Winning those three games along with one of the most highly coveted draft picks of all-time and the return of one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time would sure give a lot of hope to the Colts' fans and players.

badger
12/29/2011, 03:57 PM
I can see a team tanking by trading away key players, firing coaches, benching stars or IR'ing players that aren't really that badly injured, but I cannot see players tanking, unless there's point shaving shenanigans involved.

Players on average have 3 or less years in the league. Why waste one of those precious (paycheck!) years with losing?

rekamrettuB
12/29/2011, 04:52 PM
I can see a team tanking by trading away key players, firing coaches, benching stars or IR'ing players that aren't really that badly injured, but I cannot see players tanking, unless there's point shaving shenanigans involved.

Players on average have 3 or less years in the league. Why waste one of those precious (paycheck!) years with losing?
Why there probably needs to be a lottery. I don't think any player wants to lose a single game but if they do and half arse it, injuries happen.

StoopTroup
12/29/2011, 05:21 PM
Anyone that thinks the Rams would trade a Rookie of the Year, that has proven he can get it done, for a $50 Million maybe (Andrew Luck).....is really just trying to stir up some **** on a Sooner's Message Board.

Now....it's possible that Luck's Wonderlic Test goes higher than Peyton Mannings and that he becomes a good commodity for a trade but to think they would do it to unload Sam Bradford is crazy talk.

rekamrettuB
12/29/2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone that thinks the Rams would trade a Rookie of the Year, that has proven he can get it done, for a $50 Million maybe (Andrew Luck).....is really just trying to stir up some **** on a Sooner's Message Board.

Now....it's possible that Luck's Wonderlic Test goes higher than Peyton Mannings and that he becomes a good commodity for a trade but to think they would do it to unload Sam Bradford is crazy talk.
Man I must have missed some posts. Didn't realize anyone was suggesting that. The Rams would be foolish to trade up from 2 to 1 and include Bradford because they would have to give up so much more. Teams in the top 5, possibly Minnesota the exception, won't be making a trade to move up that little. It will be teams in the middle of the pack that have younger, solid teams but are missing that QB component. Teams like Buffalo, Miami, Seattle, etc.

bluedogok
12/29/2011, 09:39 PM
Man I must have missed some posts. Didn't realize anyone was suggesting that. The Rams would be foolish to trade up from 2 to 1 and include Bradford because they would have to give up so much more. Teams in the top 5, possibly Minnesota the exception, won't be making a trade to move up that little. It will be teams in the middle of the pack that have younger, solid teams but are missing that QB component. Teams like Buffalo, Miami, Seattle, etc.
I have heard some national people mention the possibility, that is about it.

StoopTroup
12/29/2011, 09:45 PM
I still think Denver put Tebow in so they might have a shot at Luck but God hath Smited them. :D ;)