PDA

View Full Version : Weis improving KU already?

Jacie
12/22/2011, 10:47 PM
It would appear he has landed two experienced QB's to carry his team for the next three years. Granted, both of them were benched in favor of someone else, but we've seen it before where a guy who wasn't a starter at one school transferred and was able to win at another. Considering what he inherited at Kansas these two guys could be a huge lift for the jayhawks.

Ex-Notre Dame QB Crist transferring to Kansas

By DAVE SKRETTA, AP Sports Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Kansas coach Charlie Weis landed a pair of high-profile quarterbacks Thursday.

Former top recruit Dayne Crist announced on Twitter that he would join the Jayhawks for his senior season after a checkered career at Notre Dame, shortly before news broke that BYU quarterback Jake Heaps was also transferring to Kansas.

Crist will reunite with Weis, who recruited him to Notre Dame, and be eligible to play next season because he’s already graduated from Notre Dame. Heaps will have to sit out under NCAA transfer rules but will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Officials at Kansas could not comment on the quarterbacks until they enroll.

Crist visited Kansas and Wisconsin before making his decision, which came the same day Badgers offensive coordinator Paul Chryst was hired as the head coach at Pittsburgh.

One of the country’s top recruits out of Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, Calif., Crist enrolled in South Bend in 2008 as part of a blockbuster recruiting class.

Things didn’t pan out as anybody expected, though.

Weis struggled to win games despite suiting up numerous top prospects at Notre Dame, and was fired after the 2009 season. Crist had a season-ending knee injury his freshman year and another last year, after he completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,033 yards with 15 touchdowns and seven interceptions under Weis’ replacement, Brian Kelly.

He came back from the injury to regain the starting job this season, but was benched at halftime of the opener against South Florida. Crist played only a handful of snaps behind Tommy Rees the rest of the way, ultimately announcing that he had decided to transfer.

“After a long & difficult decision making process, I’m incredibly excited to join the Kansas football team. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!” Crist wrote on Twitter.

He’ll compete for the starting job at Kansas right away.

Sophomore quarterback Jordan Webb struggled with consistency last season, completing 63 percent of his passes for 1,884 yards with 13 touchdowns and 12 interceptions during a 2-10 season.

Webb was benched a few times in favor of senior Quinn Mecham, who fared little better.

Although he will only have one season of eligibility, Crist represents a major coup for Weis, who needs a strong-armed quarterback to effectively run his pro-style offense. Crist was the No. 2-ranked pro-style quarterback in the nation out of high school, according to Rivals.com, behind only Blaine Gabbert, who is now the starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Heaps was just as highly touted as Crist coming out of Sammamish (Wash.) Skyline High School. He was rated by Rivals.com as the No. 1 pro-style quarterback in the class of 2010.

Heaps graduated early so that he could enroll at BYU, and started the final 10 games his first season, setting freshman school records for yards passing (2,316), attempts (383), completions (219), touchdown passes (15). The Cougars finished 7-6 and beat UTEP in the New Mexico Bowl.

He struggled early this season, though, and lost the starting job to Riley Nelson. Heaps asked BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall to be released from his scholarship earlier this month.

cccasooner2
12/22/2011, 10:49 PM
Yawwwwwwwwwwwwn.

BigTip
12/22/2011, 11:05 PM
I just don't understand this hire at all. Just because you have coached at a top tier school, and that's giving the benefit of the doubt to Notre Dame who thankfully is falling from that tier, does NOT make you a good coach. This line from the article speaks volumes: "Weis struggled to win games despite suiting up numerous top prospects at Notre Dame, and was fired after the 2009 season." If you can't win with top tier talent, how does a hiring committee think he can win with second tier talent?

Hope springs eternal I suppose.

Blue
12/22/2011, 11:30 PM
I just don't understand this hire at all. Just because you have coached at a top tier school, and that's giving the benefit of the doubt to Notre Dame who thankfully is falling from that tier, does NOT make you a good coach. This line from the article speaks volumes: "Weis struggled to win games despite suiting up numerous top prospects at Notre Dame, and was fired after the 2009 season." If you can't win with top tier talent, how does a hiring committee think he can win with second tier talent?

Hope springs eternal I suppose.

I think it has to do with his time as Off Coord with the patriots and Brady. Something Josh McDaniels is mooching for all its worth as well.

Scott D
12/22/2011, 11:53 PM
They decided at KU that they need 350+ lb head coaches, not relatively fit former quarterbacks as head coaches/offensive coordinators.

EatLeadCommie
12/23/2011, 12:31 AM
I think it's impossible not to improve that program.

picasso
12/23/2011, 12:36 AM
Did you see what he was paid as an OC this past season?

SoonerDood
12/23/2011, 01:15 AM
Crist is a turnover machine. Even the "charks" should get 1 or 2 interceptions.

oudavid1
12/23/2011, 02:12 AM
Kansas now has a backup QB that is better than anything Texas has. Think about that.

soonercoop1
12/23/2011, 08:34 AM
Weis couldn't win at ND how will he win at KU? KU just cost themselves some more future ex-coach payments...

OU-HSV
12/23/2011, 09:18 AM
Exactly. Guess time will tell, but I don't see how he couldn't improve KU.
Already with these two QBs transferring in their QB situation seems to be improving. At least giving them some depth and some competition in the Spring (except Heaps won't be competing this Spring since he'll have to sit out next year), but Crist and Webb and whoever else they have will be competing and sometimes that helps cause they'll be more determined to perform well.

BigTip
12/23/2011, 10:06 AM
They decided at KU that they need 350+ lb head coaches, not relatively fit former quarterbacks as head coaches/offensive coordinators.

"We have this big size office chair and these plus sized track suits already. Let's save some money and hire a fat guy that can use them so we don't have to buy more."

Makes sense to me. :excitement:

badger
12/23/2011, 10:10 AM
A story on Turner Gill that I heard while searching for meltdown material at the jayhawk boards (and they are tons of fun when they are losing at football, hehe).

Basically, OSU was blowing out KU and sat their starters in the second half, so KU actually outscored OSU in the second half. After the game, Turner told the media that he challenged the team to win the second half and boasted that they did.

:( It's crap like that which got Turner canned in the second year of his contract and the reason why even Weis will improve KU.

EDIT: I should note that OSU won 70-28 and were up 50-7 at half or so

Scott D
12/23/2011, 02:51 PM
Besides...it's not like Weis' ND teams were known for having a stifling defense ;)

nativesooner
12/23/2011, 03:03 PM
Maybe the KU admin said to find some "big name" coach like Mangino...

http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/images/stories/mangino.jpg

but the search commitee thought they said "big FRAME" coach....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/images/12/03/charlie-weis-vent.jpg

and this guy was the only other choice and passed...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/12/20/coaching.maryland.west.virginia/ralph-friedgen-p1.jpg

BB37
12/23/2011, 08:15 PM

Agreed. It's hard to imagine KU getting any worse.

BigTip
12/23/2011, 08:45 PM
Agreed. It's hard to imagine KU getting any worse.
Ha! That's what Notre Dame probably thought when they replaced Willingham with Weiss!

opksooner
12/23/2011, 09:53 PM
IN RE: "Ex-Notre Dame QB Crist transferring to Kansas"

Sooo..........is he gonna be their savior?

sooneredaco
12/24/2011, 12:47 AM
One did one fat guy say to the other fat guy....?

Salt City Sooner
12/24/2011, 01:38 AM
Ha! That's what Notre Dame probably thought when they replaced Willingham with Weiss!
especially after Weis took them to BCS bowls in his first 2 years there.

budbarrybob
12/24/2011, 06:24 AM
Is he opening a Restaurant on Campus?

SoonerorLater
12/24/2011, 10:40 AM
Re: Weis improving KU already?

He already resigned?

ictsooner7
12/25/2011, 10:23 AM
A story on Turner Gill that I heard while searching for meltdown material at the jayhawk boards (and they are tons of fun when they are losing at football, hehe).

Basically, OSU was blowing out KU and sat their starters in the second half, so KU actually outscored OSU in the second half. After the game, Turner told the media that he challenged the team to win the second half and boasted that they did.

:( It's crap like that which got Turner canned in the second year of his contract and the reason why even Weis will improve KU.

EDIT: I should note that OSU won 70-28 and were up 50-7 at half or so

I have a couple of kids went to KU and the rumor they heard is under gill during mandatory weight lifting the guys would show up sign in and then "go get a drink of water" and leave before every lifting a single weight. When Weis showed up at the first meeting with the team he was cussing and told them half of you will not be on the team in the fall.