PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones is a really good quarterback...but..

Soonerus
12/21/2011, 11:30 PM
He does not inspire me at all...I am ready for a change....

SicEmBaylor
12/21/2011, 11:31 PM
I have to admit that I was wrong about Landry and everything SicEm said early in the season was correct.
fify buddy.

Okie35
12/21/2011, 11:36 PM
I'm not I can handle him for another year. What I would like is to have a CONSISTENT run game though so he doesn't have all the pressure on him.

Soonerus
12/21/2011, 11:57 PM
He is good and if he comes back I will be totally in support !!!

OkieThunderLion
12/21/2011, 11:59 PM
Landry is a really good player.

He's just the type of guy that needs the guys around him to do their jobs too. He's not a guy who can do it all by himself. Needs protection. He needs guys hanging on to the ball. He's not an Elway or Rodgers, who when nothing is there, extend the play with their feet and beat a defense.

Soonerus
12/22/2011, 12:00 AM
I think he will be successful in the NFL..

oudavid1
12/22/2011, 12:00 AM
I really want Landry to be OUs QB next year. Dead serious.

Soonerus
12/22/2011, 12:01 AM
I really want Landry to be OUs QB next year. Dead serious.

I am OK with that...

oudavid1
12/22/2011, 12:05 AM
I am OK with that...

Best option IMHO

sendbaht
12/22/2011, 02:01 AM
Landry Jones please come back!

BASSooner
12/22/2011, 02:25 AM
Landry or not, i don't care. He isn't the issue. The RUN GAME is the issue

EatLeadCommie
12/22/2011, 04:23 AM
Nobody is even close to taking the mantle from Landry at this point. Not even close. Especially with no Broyles to throw to.

MrJimBeam
12/22/2011, 06:53 AM
I really want Landry to be OUs QB next year. Dead serious.He better come back or we're screwed.

We may be screwed anyway but if he doesn't come back we may be screwed, you know, like harder.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/22/2011, 06:58 AM
Blah. This thread is to cheery and rah-rah. If Landry comes back, two known events are the Sooners will lose at least two games and Landry will throw double-digit interceptions for the fourth straight year. I will take the unknowns of a Bell or Allen over the known events of Landry. He's got all of the great NFL measurables and can make every throw, but he is way too erratic for the Sooners to ever play for the NC unfortunately. There has to be an a-hole in every thread. Sorry. :)

swardboy
12/22/2011, 07:25 AM
Nobody is even close to taking the mantle from Landry at this point. Not even close. Especially with no Broyles to throw to.

If this is true (and I honestly don't know) then it's a further indictment that the staff sucks at preparing our players. I don't give a rat's patootie about lesser practice time, there's something they can be doing to get them up to speed.

SoonerTerry
12/22/2011, 08:20 AM

He is good and if he comes back I will be totally in support !!!

Are you secretly a politician?

OUinFLA
12/22/2011, 08:51 AM
Are you secretly a politician?

No, he's not. He's much worse

:D

Widescreen
12/22/2011, 08:52 AM
I wish we could get Nate Hybl back.

SoonerTerry
12/22/2011, 08:59 AM

Punch yosef in da mouf!!

Mad Dog Madsen
12/22/2011, 09:01 AM
I don't want Landry to come back.

Blake Bell is the future. I've said that since day 1.

cleller
12/22/2011, 09:12 AM
I think Whitney must have cut Landry's hair.

Judges: 13-16

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2011, 09:29 AM
Blah. This thread is to cheery and rah-rah. If Landry comes back, two known events are the Sooners will lose at least two games and Landry will throw double-digit interceptions for the fourth straight year. I will take the unknowns of a Bell or Allen over the known events of Landry. He's got all of the great NFL measurables and can make every throw, but he is way too erratic for the Sooners to ever play for the NC unfortunately. There has to be an a-hole in every thread. Sorry. :)

Next years team will not be in the NC hunt regardless of QB, so that's not really an issue.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/22/2011, 09:45 AM
Next years team will not be in the NC hunt regardless of QB, so that's not really an issue.

Why is that?

SoonerorLater
12/22/2011, 10:25 AM
He is a good QB. What does everybody expect? We run a quarterback-centric offense where we throw the ball 30-40 even occasionaly 50 or more times a game. To run that type of offfense you need a good pure passer. Landry Jones is that guy for us. Should we change our offense to be more run dominate? Yes but as of this moment we just don't have the personnel to do that. We better hope Landry Jones stays.

rekamrettuB
12/22/2011, 10:29 AM
So if OU gets a QB that "inspires" you, will you play better?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/22/2011, 10:45 AM

I understand the thinking that the team will lose a game or two that they shouldn't like they have done in recent years but what team on the schedule next year do you think OU won't beat. I don't see a game on the schedule next yeat where we aren't likely favored.

I like Blake Bell but this whole thread is ridiculous. Since when is it a good plan to try to wish for a proven successful QB with NFL talent with a young TD, as talented as he may be that hasn't done anything but run the wildcat.

If Landry is back next year it is a good thing.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2011, 11:01 AM
Why is that?

Just my opinion - I'll be delighted if I'm wrong. A lot of things have to happen to get the squad back up to where they were the first half of this season while losing key players that made them that good (Broyles, R. Lewis, Alexander, Flemming). And even then, they were not at the Bama/LSU level.

LVSOONER15
12/22/2011, 11:01 AM
At the end of the day, it's a good thing for Landry to come back.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2011, 11:04 AM
At the end of the day, it's a good thing for Landry to come back.

Better for next season, but probably hurts us in '13 as it takes away reps from whoever would be the starter at that time. But CFB is so volatile, the next season should always take priority over later seasons.

soonerloyal
12/22/2011, 11:36 AM
I understand the thinking that the team will lose a game or two that they shouldn't like they have done in recent years but what team on the schedule next year do you think OU won't beat. I don't see a game on the schedule next yeat where we aren't likely favored.

Being favored doesn't mean squat to this program in terms of actual outcome. We screw the pooch 2 to 3 times annually against teams we should beat. It's as regular as Auntie Martha after her prune yogurt.

Is Landry's inconsistency a part of the problem? I think so. But that's only one symptom in a condition that's far more serious than many seem to be willing to accept. It's not terminal, but it's chronic. And I hope it's not degenerative.

PrideMom
12/22/2011, 12:34 PM
I just wish that Landry had more "FIRE" in him! Calm and cool is okay, but every once in a while, he needs to show some passion..

OU68
12/22/2011, 12:43 PM
I just wish that Landry had more "FIRE" in him! Calm and cool is okay, but every once in a while, he needs to show some passion..

That's reserved for Whitney

rock on sooner
12/22/2011, 12:54 PM
I just wish that Landry had more "FIRE" in him! Calm and cool is okay, but every once in a while, he needs to show some passion.. I don't remember Sam showing much excitement. There will be some
one on this board that the first time LJ lights up the bench or the huddle will complain about his losing his cool....

Pricetag
12/22/2011, 12:59 PM
I hope Landry comes back.

Any quarterback would have some demons to conquer after the last half of this season, and the OSU game in particular. If he can do that, he'll be better than he's ever been.

If he has a problem with getting pulled for short yardage situations, I hope he tells the coaches about it.

toast
12/22/2011, 01:02 PM
"The player fans usually love the most is the second team quarterback." - can't remember who said it, but it rings true in most cases.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/22/2011, 01:03 PM
I don't remember Sam showing much excitement. There will be some
one on this board that the first time LJ lights up the bench or the huddle will complain about his losing his cool....

Sam would actually get upset when he threw a pick unlike Landry. Of course, that could be because Landry is used to throwing picks. *duck*

SoonerorLater
12/22/2011, 01:23 PM
Sam would actually get upset when he threw a pick unlike Landry. Of course, that could be because Landry is used to throwing picks. *duck*

Every QB is different. Some guys just aren't "firery" One isn't better than the other. I remember when Joe Montana played. They would flash the cameras over to him on the sideline and you couldn't tell if he just threw a touchdown pass or an interception by looking at his demeanor. Dan Marino would not hesitate to rip into his receivers or linemen. It's pointless to ask anybody to be something they're not.

goingoneight
12/22/2011, 01:42 PM

Ummm... no, he didn't. Even in the MNC game, with all the marbles on the line he had the same Landry look to the three turnovers. The "oh, well... that's football for ya" look. Sam is an extrordinary talent, but he's no Tebow tamperer.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/22/2011, 01:44 PM
Ummm... no, he didn't. Even in the MNC game, with all the marbles on the line he had the same Landry look to the three turnovers. The "oh, well... that's football for ya" look. Sam is an extrordinary talent, but he's no Tebow tamperer.

Ummm....yes he does. And he still does at the NFL level. With that said, I'm glad he's not a "Tebow tamperer". :)

unbiasedtruth
12/22/2011, 04:25 PM
he still misses wide open receivers, throws the ball high, low, behind and to far in front. Does not have the mental capacity to look off his primary receiver and a poor decision maker and none of this hinges on hios running game....

if he does come back... how many more games will the Sooners go without a TD pass, its 13 quarters and counting now.....

wish he had gone to colorado now.....

rekamrettuB
12/22/2011, 04:44 PM
he still misses wide open receivers, throws the ball high, low, behind and to far in front. Does not have the mental capacity to look off his primary receiver and a poor decision maker and none of this hinges on hios running game....

Yet somehow completes 65% of his passes. OU must have the world's greatest receivers.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/22/2011, 05:05 PM
Yet somehow completes 65% of his passes. OU must have the world's greatest receivers.

Thanks to Ryan Broyles and alot of screen passes...

How has he done these last 3 games? Landry is not that good.

Scott D
12/22/2011, 05:07 PM

I know right, shame on Landry for those passes that hit his receivers in the hands but yet somehow ended up bouncing off of them onto the ground.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/22/2011, 05:17 PM
Landry just isn't that good... Stop making excuses and just accept it.

Scott D
12/22/2011, 05:46 PM
Who's making excuses? Any time the ball was to Hanna there was a 50% chance he'd drop it. Did Landry make some poor decisions? yes. Was he not helped by his receivers more often than not after Broyles got injured? yes.

oumartin
12/22/2011, 05:49 PM
If you guys wanna rip Landry for missing receivers and throwing picks just look at Sam this year.
Both guys hurried and toward the end of the year Landry was running for his life. Nobody was gonna succeed in that sucktitude of an offense.

You guys are quick to defend Sam and blame it on poor line and crappy receivers. Same case in Norman after broyles got hurt

Mad Dog Madsen
12/22/2011, 05:52 PM
Ok, I apologize. Landry is the best QB we've had since Sam Bradford.

oumartin
12/22/2011, 06:01 PM
Ok, I apologize. Landry is the best QB we've had since Sam Bradford.

Guarantee you this. If the offensive philosophy doesn't change and players can't block you will be praying Landry was the qb in a couple years.

SicEmBaylor
12/22/2011, 06:16 PM
This x1000.

KBoomer11
12/22/2011, 07:59 PM
I'd rather lose 3-4 games with Blake Bell or Drew Allen next year than to lose 2-3 with Landry.

oumartin
12/22/2011, 09:20 PM
I'd rather lose 3-4 games with Blake Bell or Drew Allen next year than to lose 2-3 with Landry.

Idiotic

En_Fuego
12/22/2011, 09:31 PM
Hey Mad Dog.....why do you have a loser as an Avatar ?

oudavid1
12/22/2011, 09:56 PM

FANS: THEY ALL SUCK.

En_Fuego
12/22/2011, 10:05 PM
Hey Mad Dog....How is that joining another board working out for ya ?

OkieThunderLion
12/22/2011, 10:06 PM

Landry has a stronger and more accurate arm than Nate. And Nate's was solid. Nate had a little better feet.

Soonerus
12/22/2011, 11:39 PM
Landry needs to stops picking his ear during interviews...weird...

yankee
12/23/2011, 12:12 AM
Back to almost-offseason mode for me, with this thread. Some of you are so dumb, it's actually funny.

rekamrettuB
12/23/2011, 08:54 AM

I'm just trying to point out the complete left and right of some of these posts...yours included. I never said Jones was perfect or great or good or anything. I just pointed out that somehow he completed a great amount his passes even tho he was so horrible. Landry is a really good QB that gets shaken in the pocket and can have some brain freezes. He can make a lot of big time throws. I haven't seen Bell or Allen throw but about 3 passes a piece so I'm not sure where they are but I would take my chances of Landry improving his weaknesses instead of throwing someone out there that might have the same or worse weaknesses. I would hate to do it but I think I would have a little leash on Landry this next year. If he doesn't improve then you go with someone else. If he improves like he did towards the end of 2010 then great...if not and OU drops 1 or 2 then get your next guy in there and start prepping for next year.

Dan Thompson
12/23/2011, 09:37 AM
I can't recall the last time I saw him fired up. He seems to me, to just be going thru the motions and putting in his time.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/23/2011, 09:43 AM
In the vast majority of cases, collegiate football players reach their overall peak in their junior years. I just don't see any further improvement coming from Landry; he's a WYSIWYG. He'll probably have the 40+ TDs, 12+ INTs and 60+% completion rate next season (which are all good except the number of INTs), but he will continue to run out of bounds short of first down markers, dive much earlier than necessary to avoid hits and make some absolutely horrible decisions that greatly assist in losing 2 or more games.

Landry is an enigma as he can make every throw on the field and looks Sam Bradford like at times, but other times, he is absolutely atrocious. There is no middle ground. I would rather see the Sooners with a QB that has less numbers, but more consistent performances as Landy is too Jeckyll and Hyde and a team goes as the QB goes in the vast majority of circumstances.

JiminyChristmas
12/23/2011, 10:59 PM
If we really do not have much of a shot at the NC in 2012, wouldn't it be best for Landry to move on so our QB for 2013 can get some experience?

sooneredaco
12/24/2011, 12:50 AM
Landry just isn't that good... Stop making excuses and just accept it.

Guess all the the NFL guys are wrong and your right. So what do you do for a living that allows you to be such an expert at evaluating football talent again? And I'd like to see a resume please.....

... You may now get back to your non football related job again. And don't quit your day job

SicEmBaylor
12/24/2011, 12:58 AM
Guess all the the NFL guys are wrong and your right. So what do you do for a living that allows you to be such an expert at evaluating football talent again? And I'd like to see a resume please.....

... You may now get back to your non football related job again. And don't quit your day job

He has as good a resume as virtually anyone here who posts an opinion about football whether it be good, bad, or otherwise.

And the NFL guys themselves don't exactly have a stellar track record.

sooneredaco
12/24/2011, 12:58 AM

Please read your post again when you're sober. Then when you do, if you still feel the same, I'll be the first to say your an idiot

SicEmBaylor
12/24/2011, 12:59 AM
If we really do not have much of a shot at the NC in 2012, wouldn't it be best for Landry to move on so our QB for 2013 can get some experience?

Yes.

sooneredaco
12/24/2011, 01:05 AM

He has as good a resume as virtually anyone here who posts an opinion about football whether it be good, bad, or otherwise.

And the NFL guys themselves don't exactly have a stellar track record.

Opinions are always welcome. As is mine. I'd take the opinion of guys that are paid to give them over most non sports related people everyday of the week. He is projected by most to be 1st round potential. If not early second. I'll take that guy to be my starting QB any day. You can't not be a good QB and have the stats, winning percentage, draft projections and respect from fellow teammates and coaches that he does. To say otherwise is silly IMO

Fraggle145
12/24/2011, 01:37 AM
I think Landry is a good QB. A really good QB.

I just dont think he has the "it" factor. Meaning, I don't think he has it in him to take the team and put it on his back and win a football game.

soonercoop1
12/25/2011, 01:29 PM
Good Luck to him in the NFL! Sorry to see him go!

LVSOONER15
12/25/2011, 02:02 PM

That is a real dumba$$ comment. I don't even know what else to say.

hawaii 5-0
12/25/2011, 02:21 PM
I'm a bit saddened that they left Landry in so long during some of the blowouts. Bell coulda used the PT running the regular offense.

5-0

SCOUT
12/25/2011, 02:26 PM
I'm a bit saddened that they left Landry in so long during some of the blowouts. Bell coulda used the PT running the regular offense.

5-0
I am saddened that this same comment has been valid back to 2000 or so.

hawaii 5-0
12/25/2011, 02:55 PM
I am saddened that this same comment has been valid back to 2000 or so.

True that. If the game's out of hand the backups should be in there.

5-0

ashley
12/25/2011, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=Soonerus;3429081]He does not inspire me at all...I am ready for a change....[/QUOTE

How dumb can you get.

jwlynn64
12/26/2011, 01:36 AM
Yes, they really hit on Ryan Leaf. Metrics are good but do not show what a guy has inside. I personally think that being cool under pressure and fire in the belly are very important. Landry seems to be lacking in both of these qualities.

JRAM
12/27/2011, 10:12 PM
fify buddy.

He could be a great QB if he would develop a backbone and not **** his pants and fall apart whenever a defensive player breaks through the line on any given play.

OUmillenium
12/28/2011, 09:41 AM
If LJ comes back I will pull for him and the team but expect to see the same LJ as we have seen the last 2 years.

Heupel and the staff have done a great job with what they have. If you watch NFL teams offense in the red zone its nothing like our LJ plays. The staff knows not to trust him with slants or any touch throws.

IOW, LJ has the arm but little play-making ability outside of whatever option 1 is for that particular play. = LIMITED

Add in the injuries to our best RB and WR and that results in a tough time for our offense.

At least thats how my brain has tried to justify our failure over the last 2 months. Its a painful and difficult thing for me to process...I assume our coaching staff is quite a bit more disturbed about than I am and are working their tails off to improve the team for the bowl and for next year.

I have no answers for the utter trainwreck that was our "defense" this last half of the season.