PDA

View Full Version : Nice UK article on Tom Wort

Phil
12/20/2011, 09:45 PM
Quite humorous to see the typical soccer terminology used in reference to 'Murcan foosball.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/20/ton-wort-rugby-pads?newsfeed=true

yur-out
12/20/2011, 10:26 PM
The caption under the picture is classic British, "Tom Wort, celebrating after touching down against the Texas Longhorns.
Like it! Thanks Phil for the share.

Chuck Bao
12/21/2011, 01:09 AM
Despite the few glaring errors, it was a pretty good read. I like to see Wort get recognition back in his home country, especially when it promotes Oklahoma.

sooneredaco
12/21/2011, 01:52 AM
Great kid, great story, great read! Thanks Phil. I'm a wort fan

budbarrybob
12/21/2011, 02:51 AM
"TBOONE began poured millions into facilities and coaching..." Hmmm bet he feels like JJ from the Dallas Cowboys. Coaching from the luxury box.

LASooner
12/21/2011, 03:21 AM
Oklahoma University is traditionally one of the most "storied' college sides and their set up, from the cavernous changing facilities and trophy room to their 85,000 capacity stadium, are easily the equal of many European professional soccer clubs. But the college has struggled to live up to expectations in recent years and the 2010-11 season ended on a sour note when bitter local rivals, Oklahoma State, comprehensively defeated the Sooners in the traditional end of season "Bedlam" derby

I expect if Barry Tramiel reads this he'll start using the term 'derby.

oudavid1
12/21/2011, 03:27 AM
Too bad Tom didnt score vs Texas :(

LASooner
12/21/2011, 03:33 AM
He's like the only one who didn't

limey_sooner
12/21/2011, 10:06 AM
. But the college has struggled to live up to expectations in recent years and the 2010-11 season ended on a sour note when bitter local rivals, Oklahoma State, comprehensively defeated the Sooners in the traditional end of season "Bedlam" derby

I expect if Barry Tramiel reads this he'll start using the term 'derby.

If he does make sure he pronounces it right ( "darby" not "derby")

badger
12/21/2011, 10:11 AM
"TBOONE began poured millions into facilities and coaching..." Hmmm bet he feels like JJ from the Dallas Cowboys. Coaching from the luxury box.

I dunno... word has it on a site (ok, this one, lol) that Boone might be miffed that Gundy is getting all of the credit and attention for the Pokes' success, not Boone. [hairGel]

Think we have another Tom Landry situation on our hands?

Oh shizzle, I did NOT just compare Gundy to Tom Landry :eek:

oudavid1
12/21/2011, 01:36 PM
He's like the only one who didn't

And he was the focus of that article. They need to get their facts straight.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/21/2011, 01:49 PM
I was stationed in England in the mid 80's. We had a football team on our base. The locals would put together teams and come play. It was Friggin hilarious. They did love it, tho. Almost as much as the after game keggers.

oudavid1
12/21/2011, 01:56 PM
I was stationed in England in the mid 80's. We had a football team on our base. The locals would put together teams and come play. It was Friggin hilarious. They did love it, tho. Almost as much as the after game keggers.

Were the locals any good?

badger
12/21/2011, 01:59 PM
It is funny hearing people that know little about American football talk about American football.. but I imagine they think the same thing about us when we talk about soccer and rugby. If you REALLY want to feel lost, pull up some of those obscure sports that ESPN on Xbox is showing (even competitive juggling) and try to figure out wtf is going on. Hell, there's apparently even a sport where they shorten the volleyball net and KICK the ball back and forth!

oudavid1
12/21/2011, 02:05 PM
It is funny hearing people that know little about American football talk about American football.. but I imagine they think the same thing about us when we talk about soccer and rugby. If you REALLY want to feel lost, pull up some of those obscure sports that ESPN on Xbox is showing (even competitive juggling) and try to figure out wtf is going on. Hell, there's apparently even a sport where they shorten the volleyball net and KICK the ball back and forth!

Football is way more complicated than Soccer or Rugby, that is a key reason why they will always be more popular world wide.

picasso
12/21/2011, 02:43 PM
Jolly good read Guvnah!

badger
12/21/2011, 02:48 PM
Football is way more complicated than Soccer or Rugby, that is a key reason why they will always be more popular world wide.

Football is fun to introduce to someone unfamiliar with the game, like a foreign Sooner student or a kid :)

Why is everyone cheering? Who know... CHEER ALONG WITH THEM! :D

bluedogok
12/21/2011, 10:22 PM
I watched a lot of Australian Rules Football when that was one of the few events on ESPN, took me awhile to figure it out.

When the US Olympic Festival was in OKC my sister and I went to a Team Handball game at the bubble building at the fairgrounds, it was interesting and looked like it could be fun. Not a TV sport but might be a fun participatory sport.

stoopified
12/22/2011, 04:00 PM
Football is fun to introduce to someone unfamiliar with the game, like a foreign Sooner student or a kid :)
...Or my wife .

Bruiser53
12/22/2011, 07:56 PM
It's funny that the author dwells on the so called "pitch invasion" after Bedlam. Rushing the field is really looked down on over there because it is usually hooligans trying to fight and cause trouble (check out this link and tell me if you would ever see this in the UShttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ulESIRFKWs)while rushing the field at a college football game, while obviously proven to be safety hazard, is really just students wanted to celebrate a big win. But anyways, fun read. I got a kick out of the whole "touched down" thing, because to score a try in rugby (equivalent of a TD), you do actually have to touch the ball to the ground in the end zone.

En_Fuego
12/22/2011, 10:12 PM
Well Jolly Oh" I think the Chap should be less concerned about the Sharks in the Sea. And more worried about the little fish that slips by him.....Talley Ho" ........Good Day

cccasooner2
12/22/2011, 11:00 PM
...Or my wife .

Reminds me of a double date at a bar in the mid-70s for Monday night football. The two ladies were in a deep discussion about wondering who the team was with horseshoes on the helmet. :D